Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Is social media reshaping our lives for the worst?

Recommended Posts

Ive found that Ive become much more cynical, in general, now that most everyones lives are on social media.  Even if you dont have social media accounts, word gets around at work. Actors, athletes, and co-workers have changed my views about them through social media.  I used to love DeNiro movies...not so much anymore.

As a long time firefighter, Ive made some very close relationships.  We used to have a tight group of guys (black and white) that would play golf together regularly.  Thats pretty much faded away now that I know how some truly feel. Ive probably deleted 25% of the contacts in my phone over the last couple years. Its just kinda sad that people got along better when you didnt know as much about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to lump message boards like this into the thought, as it is similar. For the first 10 years or so, I felt the net benefit outweighed the costs. But in the last 5 years or so, I think it has crossed over into the negative.

I’ve seen friendships dissolved....marriages end...people are angrier at strangers...everyone is more dug in on things, including things they didn’t even worry about previously. It’s a negative for sure. 

That said, I consider message boards and social media to just be the progression that started with the internet and 24 hr cable news. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Ive found that Ive become much more cynical, in general, now that most everyones lives are on social media.  Even if you dont have social media accounts, word gets around at work. Actors, athletes, and co-workers have changed my views about them through social media.  I used to love DeNiro movies...not so much anymore.

As a long time firefighter, Ive made some very close relationships.  We used to have a tight group of guys (black and white) that would play golf together regularly.  Thats pretty much faded away now that I know how some truly feel. Ive probably deleted 25% of the contacts in my phone over the last couple years. Its just kinda sad that people got along better when you didnt know as much about them.

I didnt agree because of your reasoning however.  I'm well aware people have different opinions about things and if it took social media to make you aware of that,  well that's on you. I dont fault people for what they think.  Its allowed.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing social media is good for is instagram/reddit sluts showing off their bodies. Even then, it's made attention wh0res out of ALL of them (even the middle of the road ones).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to not forget that the person you're conversating with or hanging out with advocates a course of action that if implemented, would ruin the country.  I'm not talking about my taxes going up some. I'm talking about actual destruction.  I live here too, and would like it to remain on top. Why don't they? So they can moralize at the rest of us? The left is now the party of the church lady. Always pointing a finger, never lifting a hand. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It's hard to not forget that the person you're conversating with or hanging out with advocates a course of action that if implemented, would ruin the country.  I'm not talking about my taxes going up some. I'm talking about actual destruction.  I live here too, and would like it to remain on top. 

Yes, I strongly agree with this post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cbfalcon said:

Yes, I strongly agree with this post. 

Good. Then you know open borders and not enforcing our already lenient criminal laws can't possibly have a positive outcome. Not a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People do things in real life for the opportunity to share it with their online life instead of enjoying the moment. I feel lucky to have finished school before social media. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

People do things in real life for the opportunity to share it with their online life instead of enjoying the moment. I feel lucky to have finished school before social media. 

So true. They go to a concert or ballgame and spend the whole time filming it. So they can post it where no one will  watch it but they will give a thumbs up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Ive found that Ive become much more cynical, in general, now that most everyones lives are on social media.  Even if you dont have social media accounts, word gets around at work. Actors, athletes, and co-workers have changed my views about them through social media.  I used to love DeNiro movies...not so much anymore.

As a long time firefighter, Ive made some very close relationships.  We used to have a tight group of guys (black and white) that would play golf together regularly.  Thats pretty much faded away now that I know how some truly feel. Ive probably deleted 25% of the contacts in my phone over the last couple years. Its just kinda sad that people got along better when you didnt know as much about them.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't see social media negatively impacting my relationships.  I'm sure it helps that my wife and I align politically, and we have a strict Switzerland policy on FB.  Most of my friends avoid political posts as well.  A handful post political stuff but the discussions (which I stay out of, see Switzerland comment) never get personal that I can recall.  I've got a few "look at me" friends including some chicks from HS who post pics in skimpy outfits, I just laugh.  De Niro is a flaming lib?  I'm shocked!  I don't care and it doesn't impact me watching a movie.  :dunno:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So true. They go to a concert or ballgame and spend the whole time filming it. So they can post it where no one will  watch it but they will give a thumbs up. 

And so they can refer to themselves as “the highest rated poster” lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good. Then you know open borders and not enforcing our already lenient criminal laws can't possibly have a positive outcome. Not a chance. 

1. I’ve never argued for open borders. Not sure which Dem candidates have been calling for that. 

2. I agreed with you that.... it’s hard to put the knowledge that the person you are speaking to supports ideas that would destroy our way of love....out of your mind when standing across from them. But if we all agreed on what was going to destroy our way of life, we wouldn’t really have this particular issue.

So with that in mind, let’s not make this a political thread. Do a spin off of you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't see social media negatively impacting my relationships.  I'm sure it helps that my wife and I align politically, and we have a strict Switzerland policy on FB.  Most of my friends avoid political posts as well.  A handful post political stuff but the discussions (which I stay out of, see Switzerland comment) never get personal that I can recall.  I've got a few "look at me" friends including some chicks from HS who post pics in skimpy outfits, I just laugh.  De Niro is a flaming lib?  I'm shocked!  I don't care and it doesn't impact me watching a movie.  :dunno:

 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nospk said:

And so they can refer to themselves as “the highest rated poster” lol 

So stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

1. I’ve never argued for open borders. Not sure which Dem candidates have calling for that. 

2. I agreed with you that.... it’s hard to put the knowledge that the person you are speaking to supports ideas that would destroy our way of love....out of your mind when standing across from them. But if we all agreed on what was going to destroy our way of life, we wouldn’t really have this particular issue.

So with that in mind, let’s not make this a political thread. Do a spin off of you want. 

What is the reason for a sanctuary city if you don't believe in open borders? They all support sanctuary cities. It's like saying you support people paying their taxes but want to do away with the IRS. Offering sanctuary to an illegal alien has the same result of having an open border. But you continue to stand in your semantics charade, but we all know it's not the truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

1. I’ve never argued for open borders. Not sure which Dem candidates have been calling for that. 

2. I agreed with you that.... it’s hard to put the knowledge that the person you are speaking to supports ideas that would destroy our way of love....out of your mind when standing across from them. But if we all agreed on what was going to destroy our way of life, we wouldn’t really have this particular issue.

So with that in mind, let’s not make this a political thread. Do a spin off of you want. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/byron-york-in-debates-democrats-move-toward-open-borders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't see social media negatively impacting my relationships.  I'm sure it helps that my wife and I align politically, and we have a strict Switzerland policy on FB.  Most of my friends avoid political posts as well.  A handful post political stuff but the discussions (which I stay out of, see Switzerland comment) never get personal that I can recall.  I've got a few "look at me" friends including some chicks from HS who post pics in skimpy outfits, I just laugh.  De Niro is a flaming lib?  I'm shocked!  I don't care and it doesn't impact me watching a movie.  :dunno:

Yeah, I stay out of it on FB. I don’t make any posts of my own anymore, and I don’t comment on political posts, etc. 

But I do see when others do it obviously, and it does directly effect who I am willing to hang out with on a given night or weekend. Its not that I’m done with the person, so much as I just don’t want to deal with it. If I want to get away from all the politics and drama, hanging out with someone that just made a bunch of offensive FB posts isn’t ideal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What is the reason for a sanctuary city if you don't believe in open borders? They all support sanctuary cities. It's like saying you support people paying their taxes but want to do away with the IRS. Offering sanctuary to an illegal alien has the same result of having an open border. But you continue to stand in your semantics charade, but we all know it's not the truth. 

I feel like that topic has been discussed in other threads. I either chose to or not to get into it there. Go bump one, and maybe I’ll respond 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Ive found that Ive become much more cynical, in general, now that most everyones lives are on social media. 

I disagree because you can see the cynicism growing in this nation ever since the 1970s.  Trust has slowly been eroding in all institutions for a very long time,this is true.  But social media isn't the driver of it.  I think the nonstop lying from the media is the primary driver.  You can eliminate social media entirely, but CNN, the New York Times, etc is still going to be lying to you nonstop and driving trust down lower and lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly thought Facebook had gone the way of my space. I'm constantly surprised when somebody brings up something about Facebook. Especially straight men over the age of 20.

 

It's just something that I have chosen not to be a part of my world. I've had people encouraged me to go out and see blah blah blah my response if I care at all is ' well send it to me. ' If you're so damn popular that you've got to send everything on blast, I don't want to be a part of that.

I honestly don't understand how somebody can whine about being bullied online. Uh dude? You have the options and the power. there's about six different ways at least you can go without having to read those negative things. And if you do read them? Who cares? Its some loser you're never ever going to meet in your life. So why should it bother you.? Jesus, grown-ass men and wimmen acting like 9 year old girls.

So while I agree with the premise, on a personal level, I couldn't give a rat's ass.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Uh dude? You have the options and the power. there's about six different ways at least you can go without having to read those negative things. And if you do read them? Who cares? 

 

The cyber bullying is also about influemceing others to treat a person a certain way. Or spreading rumors about someone else.  Its not just about direct slurs or suggesting someone off themselves.  Its also happening to people with adolescent brains that arent capable of rationalizing bullying like you do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how someone talks politics all the time and then suddenly go "I'm not sure which candidates have been calling for x" like they know nothing about the subject.  Thanks for the laugh cbfalcon.  You were a great troll in this thread.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, riversco said:

I like how someone talks politics all the time and then suddenly go "I'm not sure which candidates have been calling for x" like they know nothing about the subject.  Thanks for the laugh cbfalcon.  You were a great troll in this thread.

You and I should have a civil war about it. We can blame the NYT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with social media is that it has become "The News" for people who never watch... "The News".  People get "outraged" because of an isolated incident and pretend that it's an epidemic.  It spreads like wildfire and that's how we now have SJW's.  So yes, social media is making our lives worse because these SJW's are being obnoxious and thoughtless and you have politicians exploiting that to make themselves rich and forcing policy on people that really almost nobody needs/wants under the guise of "morality".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I basically only use the internet for entertainment purposes.  I take everyone's opinion (right or left) with a grain of salt.

Generally, if someone is spouting political opinions on the internet, they are wrong, and I ignore them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just like the innerwebs and life in general...it can be greatest thing or the worst thing...if you have good people that are smart enough to handle it. but usually the retards ruin it for everyone:(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst thing is that many people with opposing views can't seem to have civil conversations or respectful debates anymore.   I have friends in my life who aren't extremists, but are pretty liberal, and we still get along.  We debate,  bust balls, talk trash, and insult each other without hate or hurt feelings. 

But on FB and Twitter, there are so many that have gone off the rails since Trump was elected that it's gotten hard to take.  They're always on the hunt for that "gotcha" moment and think every bad thing that's said or done by someone with opposing views is a direct reflection of all people from the other side.  And of course, they feel compelled to support and/or make excuses for those on their side of the aisle any time they misstep. It's insane.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, vuduchile said:

They're always on the hunt for that "gotcha" moment and think every bad thing that's said or done by someone with opposing views is a direct reflection of all people from the other side.  And of course, they feel compelled to support and/or make excuses for those on their side of the aisle any time they misstep. It's insane.  

 

Case in point:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×