Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Class dismissed: Surge in arrests of foreign teachers in China

Volty's prolly safe but Titans is focked.  :o

Also, why would they take their wives with them?  :unsure:

I thought Volty had that new school that was not quite on the up and up. He may be more at risk than Titans.

12 minutes ago, DonS said:

I hope Titan's Gurlfriend is OK. 

Are they back in China?  If they aren't, I'd be a bit concerned about them not letting him in, or her out.

2 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

Volty's prolly safe but Titans is focked.  :o

I don't go to bars or nightclubs nor smoke marijuana or do any drugs. If they're going after druggies I's safe but if they're focking with people as a countermeasure to Trump's trade policies, then no. I am worried though because we've got our own school and I always fear getting cracked down on. We still have the interim school license but it seems we've passed the final hurdle and will get a full license in a week.... which is while we'll be on vacation in Thailand.

If something happens to TBBOM, he can just relocate to Korea or Brazil or Abu Dhabi without missing a beat but I have house and a school now so I can get seriously screwed over. My attitude use to be "fock it, if I don't like it I'll just leave". Well, now I'm pretty much tied into it. TBBOM lives in a big city popular with foreigners; I live where there are next to none. The local police here would have to be willing to kick out one of the few foreginers willing to live here. 

2 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't notice this.

2 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I don't go to bars or nightclubs nor smoke marijuana or do any drugs. If they're going after druggies I's safe but if they're focking with people as a countermeasure to Trump's trade policies, then no. I am worried though because we've got our own school and I always fear getting cracked down on. We still have the interim school license but it seems we've passed the final hurdle and will get a full license in a week.... which is while we'll be on vacation in Thailand.

From the sound of it, they are kicking out young, single dipsh1ts.   I am certain they are more angry at the liberalization that is causing Hong Kong, than they are about tariffs.

13 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

From the sound of it, they are kicking out young, single dipsh1ts.   I am certain they are more angry at the liberalization that is causing Hong Kong, than they are about tariffs.

Yeah, that's my take too but it's still disturbing and worth keeping an eye on. The article also mentioned a glut of foreign teachers rather than a shortfall and the schools being choosy. That was never my experience. It use to be the government had rules but the schools were always desperate and didn't care. Round eyes and a pulse were all you needed to teach English ... even if the only language you could speak was Bulgarian and you dropped out of 7th grade. So that's a bit of a shock.

My visa is legit, and I ain't pissing 🔥, so I'm fine.

That said, this is my last year. The writing is clearly on the wall. It's time to get out. I'll go to Thailand or Vietnam or where the fock ever after this year. 

3 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

My visa is legit, and I ain't pissing 🔥, so I'm fine.

That said, this is my last year. The writing is clearly on the wall. It's time to get out. I'll go to Thailand or Vietnam or where the fock ever after this year. 

And I wirr arways rove you.

I wirr arways rove you oo oo.

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Wait so they are kicking out Americans and liberals ARENT protesting? 

I'll trade Digby for Titans. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't notice this.

Dude does your wife read this and get worried?  Or does she read it and say ih fock them... this ain't about us.

16 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Dude does your wife read this and get worried?  Or does she read it and say ih fock them... this ain't about us.

Volty is fine. China is a who you know kind of place. The fact that he has a Chinese wife, kids, and is a stable member of the community will protect him. Worst case he gets shaken down for some squeeze and shut down. Plus he's out in bum fock Egypt. They don't care out there. It's Shanghai, Beijing, and Shenzhen where I live that are cracking down. 

Me, I don't go out anymore. I stay my ass at home with my wife like a good boy, save my money for vacations. 

It's the focktards out in the bar at 3am, or the ones working illegally at some shady strip mart school, that need to worry.

My school has 10k students. The owner owns the whole damn neighborhood, including the land the police station sits on. They ain't raiding us without her leave. And if they do, fock em, our papers are legit, my taxes are paid, and I won't pop dirty. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Yeah, I'm monitoring that situation closely, as I am supposed to fly into that airport six days from now. If they don't have it cleared and back to normal the day before, I'll have to change my flight to go a different way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah, I'm monitoring that situation closely, as I am supposed to fly into that airport six days from now. If they don't have it cleared and back to normal the day before, I'll have to change my flight to go a different way. 

Is your dad doing better? 

"

It’s all part of (President) Xi Jinping’s idea to make sure that China can show a good face for the rest of the world,”

Yes we want to put on a good face for the world by arresting teachers and maybe killing a few thousand protesters. 

3 hours ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

Is your dad doing better? 

He's better than one would expect. A bit lost in terms of doing things around the house.

He will be meeting us in asia in about a month for a week. That will be good. 

2 hours ago, Bill E. said:

"

Yes we want to put on a good face for the world by arresting teachers and maybe killing a few thousand protesters. 

I kinda get it. They don't want to become the new Thailand. Land of drunken drug addict sexpat teachers. 

Now the execution is ham fisted and idiotic, but that's China for ya. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:07 AM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Volty is fine. China is a who you know kind of place. The fact that he has a Chinese wife, kids, and is a stable member of the community will protect him. Worst case he gets shaken down for some squeeze and shut down. Plus he's out in bum fock Egypt. They don't care out there. It's Shanghai, Beijing, and Shenzhen where I live that are cracking down. 

Me, I don't go out anymore. I stay my ass at home with my wife like a good boy, save my money for vacations. 

It's the focktards out in the bar at 3am, or the ones working illegally at some shady strip mart school, that need to worry.

My school has 10k students. The owner owns the whole damn neighborhood, including the land the police station sits on. They ain't raiding us without her leave. And if they do, fock em, our papers are legit, my taxes are paid, and I won't pop dirty. 

The new high speed rail between Chengdu and Kunming will have a stop in Panzhihua; it should be complete maybe next year or the year after. As a bonus, the train station is going to be out here on this side of town, only about a five minute drive away, rather than way the fock on the other side of town where it couldn't be more inconvenient.

Yeah, I hope I'm safe but you never know, we're at their mercy and they're kind of pissed at the US now. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:51 AM, mmmmm...beer said:

She didn't bring it up with me at all. She may not know. We hear about various crackdowns every now and again, and we know people affected, but we've never been the target of any government trouble ourselves. So we've never gotten the knock on our door and what's more we're optimistic that we're just days away from getting out school license despite the hostile face winds aimed at foreigners currently.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Yeah, I hope I'm safe but you never know,

I know the feeling.  We are kind of diving the same waters.