Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Baseball

8 minutes ago, posty said:

As much as I can...  Best sport on the planet...

This. I have the baseball package. Watch as much and often as possible.

• Like 1

Anyone else notice it's the late 90's homerun derby again?  It's an abortion compared to the real baseball many of us grew up with.  The "Moneyball" era has turned out to ruin the game.

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Anyone else notice it's the late 90's homerun derby again?  It's an abortion compared to the real baseball many of us grew up with.  The "Moneyball" era has turned out to ruin the game.

I personally like the home runs. Yes it's different then when I grew up. I think the ball is different. I've heard technology has centered the core better, wound tighter making the ball smaller, etc etc. Not sure how Moneyball has ruined it tho :dunno:

Just now, crackattack said:

Not sure how Moneyball has ruined it tho :dunno:

Moneyball has created 32 identical entities in the way teams are managed and the way players behave.  It's boring.  Sadly the box is opened and can't be closed.

some are blaming the ball.... some are saying it's hitting approach

I think it would be very simple to independently inspect the ball 

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Moneyball has created 32 identical entities in the way teams are managed and the way players behave.  It's boring.  Sadly the box is opened and can't be closed.

I think the small market teams are constructed closely. But I'd disagree on the larger market teams.

Just now, bandrus1 said:

some are blaming the ball.... some are saying it's hitting approach

I think it would be very simple to independently inspect the ball 

The pitchers blame the ball, and say it feels different.  Who knows more about a baseball than them.

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The pitchers blame the ball, and say it feels different.  Who knows more about a baseball than them.

it isnt a surprise pitchers who are getting blasted blame the ball

Like I said this should be a really simple thing for somebody to find out. I do agree balls are flying out that do not seem to be hit square

The shift should be outlawed. Only 2 guys on either side of second base. Unless you want to bring an outfielder in. That's fine 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

The shift should be outlawed. Only 2 guys on either side of second base. Unless you want to bring an outfielder in. That's fine 

I disagree on that one

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I disagree on that one

Me too. If you're a pro and can't/won't learn to hit it to the opposite field, or freaking bunt, that's on you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Considering that there are only 30 teams, that is impressive...

17 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Totally disagree on this one...  

Nothing worse than watching your guy making an out by hitting right into the shift, but that's just good defensive alignment.  I don't see how you ban the shift.  The beauty of baseball is that each park is different, and each batter can be played  differently in the field.

Millennial's are ruining baseball.  Instead of looking to improve yourself and hit to all fields, just focus on doing what you do best to help yourself and not your team.  So, instead of improving yourself and help the team by focusing on spreading the ball around, they just take the selfish easy way out and try to pull everything so that you can hit home runs... or strike out.

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Simetimes. A lot of other times I watch your mom going down on me. Never boring. She's a slut. Definitely knows the business end of a cack. 

This seems like the new standard response for you.  I like it.  :D

As far as baseball goes, it is boring because it is too slow and takes too long to play.  I think that they would be better off if they just changed the focking game:

• Games should be 6 or 7 innings, not 9.  4 hour games are a joke.  Don't give me this "it will affect the history of the game" BS.  They have always had changes in the game.  Don't change and see the game die.
  • Enforce the pitch timer.  This crap with 30-40 seconds between pitches makes the game boring.  Every focking pitch is a chore and batters now work the pitch count.
  • Foul ball is a strike all the time.  Even with 2 strikes on you.  Hit the focking ball in play.
  • Place a couple of land-mines strategically in the outfield
  • alsotheremaybemore
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

As far as baseball goes, it is boring because it is too slow and takes too long to play.  I think that they would be better off if they just changed the focking game:

• Games should be 6 or 7 innings, not 9.

Hell no...   It is fine the way it is...

• Like 1

To answer the OP:   

Harper and Machado landed the biggest contracts in MLB history this year.  Owners aren't spending that kind of money if they're not raking in gazillions from the fans who watch it.

Last year, attendance was just under 70 million.  17 teams saw a drop in attendance while 13 saw an increase.  That's an avg of about 29,000 per game.  

Compare that to the NBA, which drew 22 million,  an average of about 18,000 per game.  

MLB's has a 5 billion dollar tv deal with ESPN, and 2 billion dollar deal with Turner.

30 MLB franchises are valued at over a billion dollars

There's also a 13 page thread on this very board dedicated to this MLB season.  It's value is beyond our comprehension.  

2 hours ago, crackattack said:

Me too. If you're a pro and can't/won't learn to hit it to the opposite field, or freaking bunt, that's on you.

Yep. Today you rarely see any small ball being played. It’s all flashy. I don’t mind it and watch still. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yep. Today you rarely see any small ball being played. 

No player wants to do that.  Especially when very average power hitters are getting 30 million per.

This article sums up how I view the game. I will watch maybe 1-2 innings of the Reds when they are playing, but other than that I have not watched a single inning of another game in over 5 years, not even the playoffs. I also hate Joe Buck and he does all of the major postseason games. It's amazing how Fox can have awesome news and shittty sports coverage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/08/19/mlb-baseballs-old-timers-decry-state-modern-game/2047025001/

• Like 1

If I want to take a nice nap on the weekend I will flip it on the TV, set it to low, drift off to sleep....

Actively watching it as if it were entertaining? No....I likely turn to NASCAR or Golf first....

3 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

This article sums up how I view the game. I will watch maybe 1-2 innings of the Reds when they are playing, but other than that I have not watched a single inning of another game in over 5 years, not even the playoffs. I also hate Joe Buck and he does all of the major postseason games. It's amazing how Fox can have awesome news and shittty sports coverage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2019/08/19/mlb-baseballs-old-timers-decry-state-modern-game/2047025001/

Fox TV and fox news are not owned by the same group

Had a bachelor party weekend in pitt last weekend.  Guy that is getting married is a cubs fan.  

My first MLB game.  Been to many Buffalo Bisons games as a kid.

Figured it has to be better in person.  It was not for 7 innings.  The final 2 were good and fhe Pirates won at the end.  

The first 7 were god awful.  Schwarber had to move his feet maybe once the whole game.  God baseball players are so overpaid.

11 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Had a bachelor party weekend in pitt last weekend.  Guy that is getting married is a cubs fan.  

My first MLB game.  Been to many Buffalo Bisons games as a kid.

Figured it has to be better in person.  It was not for 7 innings.  The final 2 were good and fhe Pirates won at the end.  

The first 7 were god awful.  Schwarber had to move his feet maybe once the whole game.  God baseball players are so overpaid.

Probably because you were at a Pirate game...  Though PNC Park is supposedly nice, the team sucks too much...

Walt Whitman once said, 'I see great things in baseball. It's our game. The American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us.'

“The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it’s a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again.”
James Earl Jones

“The next time someone whines that baseball doesn’t have enough action, you can do two things: first, explain the planning, strategizing, calculating, and deception that place before every pitch. Then quote Hall-of-Fame announcer Red Barber: “Baseball is dull only to dull minds.”
Zack Hample

2 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Walt Whitman once said, 'I see great things in baseball. It's our game. The American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us.'

“The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it’s a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again.”
James Earl Jones

“The next time someone whines that baseball doesn’t have enough action, you can do two things: first, explain the planning, strategizing, calculating, and deception that place before every pitch. Then quote Hall-of-Fame announcer Red Barber: “Baseball is dull only to dull minds.”
Zack Hample

There is baseball and there is MLB.  2 different things.

Other than pitchers and hitters taking too long, I really don't understand all the complaints.  

Homers and strike outs are up, but who cares?  I watch a lot, and still see plenty of singles, doubles and triples driving runs in.  Small ball is especially important in October.  If a team can only score on the long ball, they probably won't make it far when they're facing all the best pitchers in the playoffs.  

When I watch, I also pay a lot of attention to pitchers and defense.  Double plays, tough plays, and strike outs can all be exciting from a defensive perspective.  

I enjoy baseball. I rarely watch a full regular season game these days, but I follow.  If I have a free weekend day, I am happy to make some ribs and listen to games on the radio outside.  

Generally, I do not have as much disposable time as I had pre child.

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

If I have a free weekend day, I am happy to make some ribs and listen to games on the radio outside.  

Oddly, I find listening to games on the radio as the real prize.

It reminds me of when I was s kid - absolutely love it.

• Like 1

Baseball is boring to boring minds. But I will say there was a lot more strategy not so long ago. The shift, 6 -7 guys in a bullpen and the long ball have taken a lot of strategy out of the game. Plus no bunting and not much stealing.  

Agreed about listening on the radio.  It’s great   

I can do yard work, grill/smoke some meat, or mess around in the garage while listening.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I can do yard work, grill/smoke some meat, or mess around in the garage while listening.   

This is something I really like about baseball .... we can be glued to every pitch, or we can casually observe. A sport definitely made for summer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Suzyn Waldman has ruined baseball on the radio for Yankee fans. The Met announcers are great.