Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Baseball

4 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Pnc is absolutely beautiful 

It was a nice park.

When the baseball fans are running to how pretty a ball field is then we can understand how boring of a game it is.  Schwaber was just standing around for 7 innings looking at the fans.  He was probably bored as well.  

Maybe I dont understand the game enough to appreciate whatever it is you guys are babbling about.  The great hitters like Tony Gwynn were fun to watch and you could tell they could move the ball and think on thr plate.  90% of hitters just look like they are swinging for the fences and hoping it finds a hole.  

I dont mind playoff baseball on TV when it seems like the games actually count.  But regular season?  It is months of going through the motions and chewing sunflower seeds.  

You baseball fellas will get all mad because baseball only relies on this idea that it is such a smart thinking game and above other sports.  But what good NFL QBs do pre snap or all week long in the film room is more thinking than anything that goes on in baseball.   What a middle linebacker has to read before each play and potentially change a whole defensive setup has more into it than any one pitch.   

Im not here to argue exactly....but give me examples of what is brain surgery in baseball.  Every sport has adjustments.  Others much more on the fly than in baseball where they sit there leaning on a post popping bubbles with all day to think.  

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Maybe I dont understand the game enough to appreciate whatever it is you guys are babbling about.  The great hitters like Tony Gwynn were fun to watch and you could tell they could move the ball and think on thr plate.  90% of hitters just look like they are swinging for the fences and hoping it finds a hole.  

That is the state of the game now...  The players today only care about launch angle and crap like that and don't care if they strikeout any more...

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Suzyn Waldman has ruined baseball on the radio for Yankee fans. The Met announcers are great. 

That sucks.  

I like the guys here. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Suzyn Waldman has ruined baseball on the radio for Yankee fans. The Met announcers are great. 

Roger Clemens is in Georges box!!! 

:lol:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DDV3NhT0oXzY&ved=2ahUKEwjZg5u_p5LkAhVjTt8KHeT5A0AQwqsBMAB6BAgBEAU&usg=AOvVaw10LHaf2Bs7mVFON0R91Gkp

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

It was a nice park.

When the baseball fans are running to how pretty a ball field is then we can understand how boring of a game it is.  Schwaber was just standing around for 7 innings looking at the fans.  He was probably bored as well.  

I dont mind playoff baseball on TV when it seems like the games actually count.  But regular season?  It is months of going through the motions and chewing sunflower seeds.  

You baseball fellas will get all mad because baseball only relies on this idea that it is such a smart thinking game and above other sports.  But what good NFL QBs do pre snap or all week long in the film room is more thinking than anything that goes on in baseball.   What a middle linebacker has to read before each play and potentially change a whole defensive setup has more into it than any one pitch.   

Im not here to argue exactly....but give me examples of what is brain surgery in baseball.  Every sport has adjustments.  Others much more on the fly than in baseball where they sit there leaning on a post popping bubbles with all day to think.  

I’m not arguing the mental aspects of the 2 sports, but I do like to watch a good pitcher and hitter face off.  

Each uses the historical data about the other to play the chess match.  

And it’s not always about strike out vs home run.  Many times a pitcher is looking to get the batter to hit a ground ball so his defense can make the play behind him.  There are certain pitches he can throw, depending on the count, that will help achieve that   

And a hitter wants to make the pitcher throw as many pitches as possible so he can get a good look at his stuff and force him into making a mistake during his current at bat or the next time up.  

The fact is, most hitters cannot pick up a ball after it’s thrown and tell if it’s a fastball, slider, curveball or change up.  I actually question whether any of them can do that.

But they do sit on certain pitches based on the count, and the pitcher’s tendencies.   That’s one aspect of the game within the game.  There are more.   

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

It was a nice park.

Non fans will say things like like at tony blah blah blah

Gwynn is a one maybe twice in a century talent with Williams.... Old timer argument said every player from 70-92 was gwynn and Henderson who were unearthly  talent..... 

Guess what ..... Not everyone back then Is once in a generation talent and the once in a generation talent of today far passes them

8 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Non fans will say things like like at tony blah blah blah

Gwynn is a one maybe twice in a century talent with Williams.... Old timer argument said every player from 70-92 was gwynn and Henderson who were unearthly  talent..... 

Guess what ..... Not everyone back then Is once in a generation talent and the once in a generation talent of today far passes them

Um ok.

Point was a hitter like Gwynn or at the least high level hitters may be thinking out there.  The rest are just swinging for the fences and hoping.  Im not expecting every baseball player to be the level of Gwynn, the greatest hitter of all time.   Sorry if I didnt spell this out.

As Vudu mentioned I understand each pitcher has a different history of "stuff".  Pitch count matters.  Ok they are trying to drag an at bat out.  

Im just trying to get some baseline reasons as to why baseball is a thinking mans game compared to other sports.  I dont think it is.  It is just much slower so it comes across as such.   

Pretty much every sport has nuances that casual fans dont realize or even understand where the hardcore fans of that sport would.   Lets not put baseball on this pedestal.