Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

In and out Burger tips

We are visiting new Braunfels Texas and they have an in and out Burger. I have only eaten there once a decade ago. 

Anything I need to know before I am disappointed over the hype?

I know this has been discussed before, but my phone is being crappy and I cannot search.

Pretty straight forward. Burgers, fries, shakes.

there is a secret menu.... can find it online

need to ask for grilled onions if you want them

fries well done if you get them to go

Get your burger animal style. Skip everything else as it’s worthless. If you do get the fries be warned that you will prob spit them out 

5 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Get your burger animal style. Skip everything else as it’s worthless. If you do get the fries be warned that you will prob spit them out 

I was recently in Arizona so I decided to try them. I got it animal style as recommended by folks here. It was good, but definitely did not live up to the hype. 

They got good burgers, dude.

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Is there one in LAX by chance? I have a few hours to kill in LAX on Tuesday. 

I don't think in LAX, but there is one on about a half mile south of the airport on Sepulveda Blvd.  Pretty quick Uber ride.

There's also a five guys about a block away.  I'd skip both and go to The Habit about another 2 blocks down.

• Like 1

It was alright, I think I ordered all wrong. I would eat there again, but I do not get the hype.

Maybe it is because I cannot stand thousand island. 

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

It was alright, I think I ordered all wrong. I would eat there again, but I do not get the hype.

Maybe it is because I cannot stand thousand island. 

Did you ask for the Overhyped burger? Because that's what I think I got the one time I went.

1 minute ago, Thornton Melon said:

Did you ask for the Overhyped burger? Because that's what I think I got the one time I went.

I got a burger animal style, no special sauce(hate thousand island), with ketchup and mustard. I also got my fries well done since many "secret menu" guides say to do that.

We got the kids a cheese fries since guides also say to do that. The cheese fries were kind of disappointing. My wife says that she saw them making it and they just put the fries in the microwave with a slice of american cheese on top.

It is better than McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, Hardee's, etc.

Maybe equivalent or slightly better than a Whataburger . Although I am not a whataburger fan.

I think Five guys and Steak N Shake are better though.  Five guys has many more toppings to choose from and the burgers are also cooked fresh. The fries are sort of an acquired taste, but i do like them now even though i usually prefer crispy fries.

I have only eaten at steak n shake twice, but was impressed both times. Although in In n out burgers defense it is probably 25% cheaper than either steaknshake or five guys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Is there one in LAX by chance? I have a few hours to kill in LAX on Tuesday. 

LAX food options

Terminal 1

Terminal 1, which Southwest uses for its LAX flights, has some notable local restaurants like Cassell’s, Trejo’s Tacos, Beaming, and Urth Caffe.

A Quick Meal

• Einstein Bros Bagels: bagel sandwiches, coffee, breakfast to-go
  • Deli & Co.: sandwiches, baked goods, wraps, salads
  • California Pizza Kitchen ASAP: pizza and salads
  • Reilly’s: Irish pub with corned beef sliders, potato chip nachos, and beer flights
  • The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf: coffee, blended drinks, baked goods
  • Chick Fil-A: national chain of chicken sandwiches
  • Beaming: quick service salads and more with a healthy bent
  • Cassell’s Hamburgers: a very good burger spot with locations in Koreatown and Downtown
  • Pei Wei Asian Diner: Americanized Chinese food with rice and noodle bowls
  • Trejo’s Tacos: Danny Trejo’s vegan, meat-based, and vegetarian tacos with agua frescas and kombuchas

Fast Casual/Bars

• Rock & Brews Concert Bar and Grill: rock and roll-themed salads, sandwiches, pizzas, burgers, craft beers, and full bar
  • Urth Caffe and Bar: a full service restaurant for this LA-based chain of coffee, sandwiches, and salads

Terminal 2

A Quick Meal

• Pick Up Stix: Asian fast food
  • Starbucks: mega coffee chain (Arrivals and Departures)
  • Fresh Brothers Pizza & Sandwiches: pizza, salad, wings, sandwiches

Fast Casual/Bars

• Built Custom Burgers: customizable burgers and fries from The Counter
  • Slapfish Modern Seafood Shack: sandwiches, tacos, breakfast, seafood
  • SeaLegs Wine Bar: snacks, plates, wine
  • Barney’s Beanery: diner food inspired by Route 66

Terminal 3

A Quick Meal

• LA Life: healthy, local snack options
  • Shake Shack: Danny Meyer’s fast casual burger chain with breakfast options
  • Starbucks
  • Peet’s Coffee
  • Deli & Co.: sandwiches, baked goods, wraps, salads
  • Earthbar: healthy food, acai bowls, and smoothies before you leave LA
  • Panda Express

Fast Casual/Bars

• Ashland Hill: the airport location of the Santa Monica gastropub with craft beer and wine
  • La Familia: tacos and tequila with breakfast burritos and rice bowls
  • The Parlor: West Hollywood bar expands to the airport with a tight menu of salads and sandwiches, but plenty of cocktails

Terminal 4

A Quick Meal

• Dunkin Donuts: donuts, coffee
  • Starbucks: mega coffee chain (Arrivals Level, Pre-TSA)
  • Homeboy Cafe: sandwiches, salads, and more from Downtown’s feel-good-story of a bakery/cafe

Fast Casual/Bars

• Sammy’s Woodfired Pizza: pizza, salads, beer, soups
  • 8 oz Burger Bar: popular large size burgers from chef Govind Armstrong
  • Campanile: a mini-version of the iconic La Brea eatery
  • Cole’s: french-dip sandwiches and more from the old school spot in Downtown
  • La Provence Patisserie and Cafe: French macarons, paninis, and more.
  • Real Food Daily: plant-based salads, sandwiches, grab-and-snacks, fresh juice. The world’s first plant-based airport restaurant.

Terminal 5

A Quick Meal

• Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf: coffee, blended drinks, baked goods (Arrival Level, Pre-TSA, Departure Level)
  • Coffee Corner: coffee shop

Fast Casual/Bars

• Lemonade: quick-casual salads, sandwiches, breakfast and more
  • Loteria! Grill: the classic Farmers Market staple offers a variety of Mexican offerings
  • Monsieur Marcel Gourmet Market & Bistro: the original Farmers Market stall sells gifts and gourmet items
  • Farmers Market To Go: refrigerated shelves of pre-made options
  • Ford’s Filling Station: a mini-version of Ben Ford’s gastropub
  • Rock & Brews Concert Bar & Grill: rock and roll-themed salads, sandwiches, pizzas, burgers, craft beers, and full bar. Grab and go meals available as well
  • Skewers by Morimoto: a modern yakitori from the Iron Chef

Terminal 6

A Quick Meal

• Starbucks Evenings: the first wine bar concept from Starbucks in L.A. Also serves craft beer, coffee, and tapas
  • The Habit Burger Grill: highly lauded California-based burger chain
  • Wahoo’s Fish Tacos: Orange County-born fish taco and rice bowl chain
  • Starbucks: mega coffee chain (Arrival Level, Pre-TSA)
  • Peet’s Coffee: coffee shop

Fast Casual/Bars

• The Kitchen by Wolfgang Puck: made-to-order breakfast and lunch options
  • The Wine Bar by Wolfgang Puck
  • WPizza by Wolfgang Puck: the celebrity chef’s signature pizzas
  • Osteria by Fabio Viviani: Italian fare by the Top Chef alum
  • Earthbar: healthy food, acai bowls, and smoothies before you leave LA
  • BLU2o: beachy California-cuisine
  • Point the Way Cafe: gastropub by Golden Road Brewery

Terminal 7

A Quick Meal

• Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf: coffee, baked goods, snacks
  • Klatch Coffee: special coffee, tea, pastries
  • Dunkin’ Donuts (Before security checkpoint)

Fast Casual/Bars

• Ashland Hill: another airport location of the Santa Monica gastropub with craft beer and wine
  • Loteria!: LAX’s second outpost of Jimmy Shaw’s beloved Mexican concept
  • bld: sandwiches, salads, hot plates
  • The Counter Custom Built Burgers: burgers and fries
  • B Grill by BOA Steakhouse: burgers, salads, steaks, pastas, seafood
  • Rolling Stone Bar & Grill: the rock and roll brand serves up bar food and booze
  • Wolfgang Puck Express: pizzas, sandwiches, and more from the celebrity chef

Terminal 8

A Quick Meal

• Carl’s Jr./Green Burrito: American and Mexican fast food
  • Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf: coffee, baked goods, snacks
  • Panda Express: fast-casual American Chinese fare

Fast Casual/Bars

• Corona Bar: bar food, beer, and booze
  • Engine Co. No. 28: full-service bar and restaurant with classic American cuisine

Tom Bradley International Terminal

Since LAX’s big international terminal has a significant number of pre-security checkpoint dining options, here they are split into various sections. The terminal’s newer food options are probably the best in the entire airport, but one needs to fly international in order to enjoy them.

Pre-Security Checkpoint

• 7-11: convenience snack shop
  • Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf: coffee and ice-blended drinks
  • Pinkberry: frozen yogurt
  • WPizza by Wolfgang Puck: the celebrity chef’s famed pizzas
  • Earl of Sandwich: national sandwich chain
  • Planet Hollywood and PH To-Go: kitschy chain with all-day fare
  • Cantina Loredo: Modern Mexican fare with plenty of margaritas

After Security Checkpoint

A Quick Meal

• Starbucks: mega coffee chain
  • Starbucks Evenings: the first wine bar concept from Starbucks in L.A. Also serves craft beer, coffee, and tapas
  • Panda Express: American Chinese food with plenty of orange chicken
  • Vanilla Bakeshop: specialty cupcakes
  • Pinkberry: frozen yogurt
  • LAMILL Coffee: better coffee and pastries
  • Kentucky Fried Chicken: fried chicken chain

Fast Casual/Bars

• ink.sack: classic and modern sandwiches by chef Michael Voltaggio
  • Umami Burger: gourmet burgers done with a twist, found all over Southern California
  • Vino Volo: a typical wine bar that also offers food from breakfast to dinner, plus small plates
  • 800 Degrees: quick-fire, fully customizable pizzas made in the Neopolitan style
  • James’ Beach: this Venice staple brings American comfort classics and cocktails to the airport
  • Scoreboard LA: bar bites

A Leisurely Meal

• Border Grill: Mexican specialties by Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken
  • Chaya Sushi: modern Asian cuisine, sushi, and more
  • Petrossian: a French caviar and Champagne bar, with vodkas, flatbread, and smoked fish
  • P.F. Chang’s: Americanized Chinese food with wok-fired chicken and noodle dishes
  • Like 1

Get the quarter pounder with cheese. Hold the pickles. If they cook it fresh, then maybe the Big Mac.  Mmmmm....

16 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I got a burger animal style, no special sauce(hate thousand island), with ketchup and mustard. I also got my fries well done since many "secret menu" guides say to do that.

We got the kids a cheese fries since guides also say to do that. The cheese fries were kind of disappointing. My wife says that she saw them making it and they just put the fries in the microwave with a slice of american cheese on top.

It is better than McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, Hardee's, etc.

Maybe equivalent or slightly better than a Whataburger . Although I am not a whataburger fan.

I think Five guys and Steak N Shake are better though.  Five guys has many more toppings to choose from and the burgers are also cooked fresh. The fries are sort of an acquired taste, but i do like them now even though i usually prefer crispy fries.

I have only eaten at steak n shake twice, but was impressed both times. Although in In n out burgers defense it is probably 25% cheaper than either steaknshake or five guys.

Isn’t the whole part of animal style having the sauce put on it? I confess, I haven’t gotten it any other way besides animal style cause that’s what tasted the best to me. Got the fries animal style as well but it still couldn’t save them which was sad. If I have a chance I’ll try the fries one more time and have them well done. But I still think I’d prefer Whataburger. My wife isn’t too big on burgers and even she liked Whataburgers burgers 

I always thought the appeal of In & Out was that it was simple, fresh, tasty, and cheap.

People have this expectation that it is going to be the craftiest artisanal burger they have ever posted to Instagram and wind up disappointed.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:59 PM, Intense Observer said:

I always thought the appeal of In & Out was that it was simple, fresh, tasty, and cheap.

People have this expectation that it is going to be the craftiest artisanal burger they have ever posted to Instagram and wind up disappointed.

I agree with this in general.  I don't do fast food often but I typically get a double double animal style.  Animal style is really all you need to know.  

Next time I may ask for well done fries, I wasn't aware of that or if I was I had forgotten.  Or skip the fries and go for a 3x3.  

If you see Ghislaine Maxwell, feel free to snap a few pics.  She won't mind.  :thumbsup:

The In and Out motor home/kitchen has come out to a couple golf tournaments I've been to.

That's a pretty cool rig they've got there - burgers were pretty good too, all you could eat.

13 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I agree with this in general.  I don't do fast food often but I typically get a double double animal style.  Animal style is really all you need to know.  

Next time I may ask for well done fries, I wasn't aware of that or if I was I had forgotten.  Or skip the fries and go for a 3x3.  

And I want. And I need. And I love. Animal.