Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

What RB to take with 5th pick

Nonppr. Got the 5th pick and this league is usually RB heavy. So the first 4 picks are gonna be Barkley, Kamara, and McCaffrey are gonna be gone. Unsure of who the 4th pick will be but the remaining RBs are all questionable. Elliot has been holding out so who knows if he will even suit up or not. Bell didn’t play at all last year and is in the jets. Johnson had a horrible season last year. Gurleys injury worries me. Just unsure at this point. Any of you have any insight as to who would be the best choice here? Never had this many question marks over running backs for the first round 

If you are certain you want to go RB in that spot.  Then, the best 3 bets are going to be:

DJ 

Damien Williams

Joe Mixon

3 minutes ago, Maulers1973 said:

If you are certain you want to go RB in that spot.  Then, the best 3 bets are going to be:

DJ 

Damien Williams

Joe Mixon

I can get the last two in later rounds. But I planned on picking Williams back up. Got him last year as a pickup from the waivers and he helped secure my championship. 

But like I said, this year there’s so many question marks for running backs it’s ridiculous 

In non Ppr, assuming Zeke is.off the table I go Chubb then Conner, because they will score the most.

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

In non Ppr, assuming Zeke is.off the table I go Chubb then Conner, because they will score the most.

And if he’s on the table? That’s problem I’m running into. I’ll have good RBs available to draft but each has his own problem that make me weary of drafting them. Last year drafted Bell and his sorry ass didn’t even play 

If Zeke hasn't signed at draft time I would probably pass and take Chubb or Hopkins.

Easy Gurley. I’m all in this season on him being fine and the worry being echo chamber fluff. Chris Harris, a very sharp journalist I respect, has him at RB4 so he agrees with me. Everyone has risk, I’ll take my risk with the best RB in fantasy.

6 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Easy Gurley. I’m all in this season on him being fine and the worry being echo chamber fluff. Chris Harris, a very sharp journalist I respect, has him at RB4 so he agrees with me. Everyone has risk, I’ll take my risk with the best RB in fantasy.

In my keeper league, I think I'll be staring at Gurley, Julio and Mixon in the first round. I have Adams as a second round keeper and acquired an additional second round pick which will likely be a WR such as Evans or Schuster. I don't want Mixon, although he is probably the safe RB and while the thought running a trio at WR of Julio, Adams and Evans is tempting, I'd be behind at RB. I could take RBs for the rest of the draft and have a stable of decent floor and upside backs, but if I don't get one or two to hit, I'm in trouble. That leaves me with Gurley. Im nervous about the knee, but the upside is obvious.

Do you need a RB at 5? DJ for sure unless he goes 4th due to Zeke. If it was me, I'd go Hopkins at 5 and grab a RB in the second.

I would draft Elliot {potential contract holdout}......only if....You can secure Tony Pollard who  who has looked extremely talented in preseason.....Cowboys offense  is rush heavy, with one of the top O-Lines, ..my opinion, either back will produce even if you rely on the cuff till Elliot ends his holdout...

I don't get why people are so high on Mixon?  Their O/Line is injured, and no AJ Green to open up the season..

Also, an awful DEF - so CIN will be throwing the second halves of games.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:51 PM, Maulers1973 said:

DJ 

Damien Williams

Joe Mixon

Damien Williams with the 1.04?  Seriously?  He's not only NOT worth it, he can be had much later, even in non-ppr.  DJ is a potential target, but I'd likely still take Zeke.  The guy isn't going to sit out.  Plus, Dallas has the easiest schedule in the league over the first 3 weeks of the season.  Why would he pass on putting up monster numbers, which will help his cause in chasing a new contract, and miss those first games?  It would be foolish. 

18 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Damien Williams with the 1.04?  Seriously?  He's not only NOT worth it, he can be had much later, even in non-ppr.  DJ is a potential target, but I'd likely still take Zeke.  The guy isn't going to sit out.  Plus, Dallas has the easiest schedule in the league over the first 3 weeks of the season.  Why would he pass on putting up monster numbers, which will help his cause in chasing a new contract, and miss those first games?  It would be foolish. 

See Kareem Hunt this time last year.  He was valued as a top 5 RB because he was a feature back in the Chiefs high flying offense.  Williams is the same thing, a feature back in the Chiefs high-flying offense.  Is it a reach at 5, maybe.  However, DW has WAY more upside than Conner or Bell and I don't trust the health of Gurley or Cook.  I have actually downgraded Mixon due to the Offensive line losing 3 starters to injury.  That's rough.  I wouldn't draft Mixon now until round 4 or later.    

• Like 1

Just now, Maulers1973 said:

See Kareem Hunt this time last year.  He was valued as a top 5 RB because he was a feature back in the Chiefs high flying offense.  Williams is the same thing, a feature back in the Chiefs high-flying offense.  Is it a reach at 5, maybe.  However, DW has WAY more upside than Conner or Bell and I don't trust the health of Gurley or Cook.  I have actually downgraded Mixon due to the Offensive line losing 3 starters to injury.  That's rough.  I wouldn't draft Mixon now until round 4 or later.    

Williams has upside, IF he gets the ball.  He has a lengthy injury history and the backups, outside of Hyde, have proven they can be just as effective.  I wouldn't bet a dollar on Williams finishing the season, or even playing in half the games.  I think he's good for a few games, but as the season wears on, he will be replaced.  I could be wrong and he could be the #1 overall back this season, but with his injury history and Andy Reid proving in the past he isn't afraid to use a rookie, or throw another veteran in the mix, I wouldn't touch him in the first two rounds.  His schedule will be tougher than last season as well.  Plus, the guy was in what, three games?  I cannot believe the people who are overdrafting him based on such a limited sample size.  He isn't as talented as Hunt and Reid has been seemingly opposed to announce him as the lead back.  The last thing I read on Rotoworld was Reid saying he has every intention of using a heavy RBBC in 2019 and this was just days ago.  I don't want a RBBC, much less use my first round pick, or even 2nd rounder, on one.  I do draft ratings for some leagues after the draft for some leagues I am in.  I knock the teams overall score for drafting him in the 1st or 2nd.  That's just absurd.  I don't think people have looked at his history enough.  He is who he is, and that is an often injured running back with limited skill.  Playing with this offense is the only thing he has going for him.  That is enough for some people to take the risk, but I think it is risky and just an overall bad move.  Good luck to those that draft him, but check my posts on D. Williams again later in the year.  He's going to be one of the guys owners regret drafting so doggone early. 

31 minutes ago, Maulers1973 said:

This is why I've been taking WR a lot more in earlier rounds than previous years. I lock down my WRs to give my team a solid foundation so I can throw as many darts at the RB position in the middle rounds. I just see so many flaws in the early round RBs, that I'd rather take a safe WR.

21 hours ago, Bills04 said:

I don't get why people are so high on Mixon?  Their O/Line is injured, and no AJ Green to open up the season..

Also, an awful DEF - so CIN will be throwing the second halves of games.

So basically exactly the same as last year where he ended up the #10 ranked RB in PPR leagues.

4 hours ago, JohnD. said:

So basically exactly the same as last year where he ended up the #10 ranked RB in PPR leagues.

He could be top 10 this year, but it's a bit early to take him as the 5 RB off the board.  On the flip side, if you do the research, 50% of the running backs taken in round one over the last decade have seriously underperformed.  Most of that is due to injury, as people tend to forget "workhorse" also means an increased opportunity to stretch or tear ligaments and muscles. 

Chubb

On 8/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, Djgb13 said:

I can get the last two in later rounds. But I planned on picking Williams back up. Got him last year as a pickup from the waivers and he helped secure my championship. 

But like I said, this year there’s so many question marks for running backs it’s ridiculous 

You really think can get them both in later rounds in a RB heavy league or just one of them?  And do you like both (or other 2nd/3rd rnd RBs)?  If so can you trade down?  I just don't like the value of the RBs your considering there at 5, think be better off trading down and maximizing value even to later in 1st and maybe get better pick on 2nd round turn and/or later in draft.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:18 PM, oldtimer said:

He could be top 10 this year, but it's a bit early to take him as the 5 RB off the board.  On the flip side, if you do the research, 50% of the running backs taken in round one over the last decade have seriously underperformed.  Most of that is due to injury, as people tend to forget "workhorse" also means an increased opportunity to stretch or tear ligaments and muscles. 

Or if it's not injury it's just math. Meaning a lot of times you'll see a RB get a huge workload, that is just above the norm in a particular year, then following year ppl just assume that same numbers or better, when it's unlikely that they will match the previous year workload. Yes some of that due to missed time due to injury, but also b/c of just less touches

On 8/20/2019 at 10:59 AM, oldtimer said:

i actually like Williams but agree, first round is way too early, no value there at all. Mixon either IMO. I mentioned trading down, barring that I'd go Zeke too.  It's a risk, but a calculated one.  As eccentric as he can be at times, think Jerrah knows as Zeke goes, the Cowboys go.  

30 minutes ago, NAn said:

i actually like Williams but agree, first round is way too early, no value there at all. Mixon either IMO. I mentioned trading down, barring that I'd go Zeke too.  It's a risk, but a calculated one.  As eccentric as he can be at times, think Jerrah knows as Zeke goes, the Cowboys go.  

I expect the holdout to end soon as well.  Even if he misses a couple of games, once he returns, he could be the #1 ff running back for the remainder of the season.  The value of getting Zeke at the 1.05, or lower, is incredible.  We know he'll be back.  This isn't a Bell situation.  If I had a mid-first round pick and he's on the board, it's a no brainer. 

Trading down, if I have an early pick, is always what I try for as well. 

Damien Williams, because he is the starting Chiefs RB and has already shown us what he is capable of in that capacity,  IS first round material....that can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round. It's criminal value.

Gotta cuff Darwin though.

DJ. New coach, new qb. Gets a ton of volume. Should be much more active in the passing game. As for Chubb, Hunt is gonna take over that spot. 

45 minutes ago, eagles115 said:

As for Chubb, Hunt is gonna take over that spot. 

Not a chance. Remember by the time Hunt gets back he will have been out of football for virtually a full year. They will ease him back in. at best by week 12 or so he is getting ten to twelve touches a game. the brownies love Chubb, he is going no where. If the Browns are up in games, it will be Chubb grinding the clock, not Hunt. If you don't like Chubb because you just like other guys better, fine, but passing because of Hunt will bite you in the bum...