Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Darwin Thompson, RB Chiefs

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:15 PM, The Football Guru said:

RB Darwin Thompson, Chiefs

As we have seen under HC Andy Reid, fantasy owners need to pay attention when Kansas City brings in a running back. Thompson is a slippery runner who is probably going to be too small at 5-8 and 200 pounds to push for regular work. A bit of a Dion Lewis clone with a bit more power and contact balance than one might expect from a player his size, he will probably be asked to work as a pass-catching threat behind Damien Williams and Carlos Hyde as a rookie - although should be noted he doesn't block particularly well at this point of his career. His landing spot dictates dynasty owners keep him on their radar. He also belongs on redraft radars as a player who Reid may decide to use as a "move weapon" if/when the team moves on from Tyreek Hill. 

This guy has looked great this year.  I know the Chiefs spent a much higher pick on Hardman and he has looked good as well, but I think Hardman is blocked by all the other great pass catchers on this team.  Conversely, I don't think Andy Reid is going to hesitate getting the ball in Thompson's hands especially if he continues to show the speed, burst and vision he has displayed throughout training camp and in the first two preseason games.  Long-term I don't think Damien Williams and Carlos Hyde are really going to block the opportunity for Thompson to get a significant portion of the workload even as soon as next year if not even later this season.  I believe Williams and Hyde will get their opportunities to shoulder the bulk of the load but I still think in the first quarter or half of the season you will see at least 4-6 plays each game where they work to get the ball in Thompson's hands and see what he can do with it.  From what I've seen so far, this guy brings an element to the team that Williams or Hyde simply won't be able to and we know how quick Andy is to turn to guys that can make plays.

I think it's only a matter of time before he is the starter. My opinion of him changed shortly after the draft and I am getting him in as many teams as possible. I think the Chiefs will give Wiliams the first four weeks to lead the backfield, but I agree he's probably the clear starter in 2019 - at the latest.

38 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

I think it's only a matter of time before he is the starter. My opinion of him changed shortly after the draft and I am getting him in as many teams as possible. I think the Chiefs will give Wiliams the first four weeks to lead the backfield, but I agree he's probably the clear starter in 2019 - at the latest.

during the first preseason game, the announcers were talking about the backfield, and how Thompson was going to need to earn a spot on the roster.  And I'm sitting there thinking, umm yeah the Chiefs are going to draft a back and then he gets cut.  Ummm, no.  Then the dude started getting touches and showed some electricity and it turned from him making to team to what he might be able to contribute this year.

:lol:

He's looked great in the preseason and I've been monitoring the situation. I wonder if Reid thinks of Brian Westbrook when he sees Darwin. I'd much rather go with the upside of Darwin over the predictability of Carlos Hyde who hasn't looked the same since his 49ers days. I hope he stays quiet so I can stash him late. 

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Great another RBBC

superbowl or bust

On 8/19/2019 at 4:43 PM, cmh6476 said:

during the first preseason game, the announcers were talking about the backfield, and how Thompson was going to need to earn a spot on the roster.  And I'm sitting there thinking, umm yeah the Chiefs are going to draft a back and then he gets cut.  Ummm, no.  Then the dude started getting touches and showed some electricity and it turned from him making to team to what he might be able to contribute this year.

:lol:

I want to be clear that I think Damien Williams is a more than capable back. He made more plays in December and January than I thought he could and showed more quickness when he got his chance than I thought he had. With that said, I don't think he has Thompson's ability to break tackles and play through contact. Those backs tend to find their way into a starting role sooner than later.

16 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I've been reaching a bit for Thompson in all my drafts to make sure I land him. I've also been taking Hardman as my last position player in drafts. Hopefully one of the two gets regular playing time. It would be great to get a piece of this offense at a discount. 

On 8/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, The Bard said:

Mahomes, Kelce, Hill.

Trust nobody else.

There’s going to be a running back you want to own. Is it Williams or Thompson? That’s the question. Forget Hyde

9 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

This guy is moving up too high to draft. 

I got him in the 13th of a ppr superflex last night. Hardman in the 14th

16 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Looks like he is top of round 9 territory now

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp/ppr

I would have paid 9 for him. He has equal or more value as the John Brown pick that I took in that place. IF Damian Williams breaks down(likely a hamstring as he has already shown problems with that) Darrell could be a league winner that late. 

I also really like Harman. He is the backup to Hill and hill has shown to be a headcase. He could get suspended tomorrow . 

Went all in on KC offense this season. Have Mahomie in 3 of 4 leagues. Own Kelce in 2 and Damien Williams in all 4.

Also own Darwin and Mecole in all four leagues. Darwin will get some reps, but love Reid's penchant to roll with one main RB,...but if Williams goes down, Darwin may be gold. Think Hardman gets playing time right away, and becomes the better FF WR over Watkins/Robinson by or before mid-season. Again, if Hill gets injured or gets suspended....look out, because Mahomie is gonna get his.

16 hours ago, stonewall said:

Went all in on KC offense this season. Have Mahomie in 3 of 4 leagues. Own Kelce in 2 and Damien Williams in all 4.

Also own Darwin and Mecole in all four leagues. Darwin will get some reps, but love Reid's penchant to roll with one main RB,...but if Williams goes down, Darwin may be gold. Think Hardman gets playing time right away, and becomes the better FF WR over Watkins/Robinson by or before mid-season. Again, if Hill gets injured or gets suspended....look out, because Mahomie is gonna get his.

Would like to ask you a few questions. 

Broncos rb situation, what do you think, you think Freeman equals it out more this season? 

How do you feel about J Hill with the Ravens?  

And if K Johnson of the Lions was to go down, how do you think C Anderson would produce with the Lions.? 

Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Would like to ask you a few questions. 

Broncos rb situation, what do you think, you think Freeman equals it out more this season? 

Yes, I think that he equals it out more so than last season based on # of carries he will receive. I like Lindsay, and owned him in a couple of leagues last season. However, he faded down the stretch...and I believe that had a lot to do with him being built more in the mold of a 3rd down back. As a result, I see Freeman getting more 1st & 2nd down carries this season. I am not investing in Bronco RB's this season though, because I have little confidence in Joe Flacco or the Denver offense in general.

How do you feel about J Hill with the Ravens?

Love his talent. Watched him play a lot for OSU, and was impressed. I believe he has a future in the NFL and in fantasy. I am fading him this year however, because there is just too much RB experience and talent on the Ravens. Ingram will be given every opportunity to succeed, and if he were to get hurt or grossly underperform, I can see Hill being locked in a timeshare with both Dixon (who is a very talented back, as well) and Gus the Bus....unless one is traded.

9 minutes ago, weepaws said:

And if K Johnson of the Lions was to go down, how do you think C Anderson would produce with the Lions.? 

Thanks. 

I believe he could put up RB2 numbers. I am a big fan of CJ, and I recommended him on here and successfully started him in 2 Championship games last year. However, the Lions offense is not the Rams offense, including the downfield passing threat and the o-line. As a result, although certainly startable, I don't think CJ (although still very fast and only 28 years old) could once again rise to a fantasy RB1 for his owners.

19 hours ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

This guy is moving up too high to draft. 

The value with Thompson is long gone with everyone talking him up. If I get swiped too early on Darwin I'll just draft Darrel Williams in the last round as my KC RB lotto ticket. 

15 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Ok thanks, yeah the reason I asked you about the Broncos situation I remember you having Lindsay last season, and you’ve always talked about C J Anderson. 

Appreciate the reply. 

17 hours ago, stonewall said:

In my high stakes ppr 12 teamer I have damien and mecole.....we have a different lineup than most leagues where its 2 rb 4wr and a flex(wr and te are receivers..no mando TE)....I had #1 overall and grabbed D will in the late 2nd.....i drafted hardman late....I hope youre right on him...i have had a similar feeling on him

With the Shady acquisition, many are dropping Darwin like a hot rock, but he might perhaps be worth a hold in redrafts if bench space allows. No one has really questioned his playmaking abilities or his potential upside in the KC offense, but more so his size (5'8" and 201 lbs) and how that might not translate into pass protection prowess in keeping their prize possession upright.

Thought this assessment by Waldman in that regard was pretty interesting...

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/08/18/matt-waldmans-rsp-nfl-lens-rb-darwin-thompson-chiefs-pass-protection/

2 minutes ago, unclemercy said:

would you drop darwin for singletary in a short bench dynasty league?

That's actually a tough one.....but in the end, no.

If Darwin is the future of the RB position in KC, then those are the shares I want to invest in.

I have considered dropping him. But the thing is A. Shady is old and B. Williams is untested. Injuries happen and he is well liked by the staff. I will hold for a while. 

I'm torn, might drop him for Ito Smith (I have freeman) only because i think the falcons go ham this season. Coin flip for me.

11 hours ago, rallo said:

I'm torn, might drop him for Ito Smith (I have freeman) only because i think the falcons go ham this season. Coin flip for me.

Redraft I would do that deal. 

4 hours ago, Byrdman5 said:

Dropping for Justin Jackson or Hyde.. 5 man benches 

Gordon isn’t going back to the Chargers, so I would for Jackson. 

Just got his first carry.  Mccoy is out now, but darrell Williams is still getting the looks ahead of Thompson for the moment.  It appears thompson is going to have to better understand his role in pass protection before he starts getting more opportunities.

55 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Just got his first carry.  Mccoy is out now, but darrell Williams is still getting the looks ahead of Thompson for the moment.  It appears thompson is going to have to better understand his role in pass protection before he starts getting more opportunities.

So many fantasy players on here still fail to understand the importance of pass pro because it doesn’t score fantasy points. I’ve said this before, specifically for the chiefs, keeping Mahomes protected is the most important job of the chiefs RB. 

Based on history I would say McCoy is the safest in that regard, now and ROS.

With Damien Williams out, Darwin's Big Opportunity results in 0.8 PPR fantasy points for the rookie sensation!

lol