Sign in to follow this  
wild_and_crazy_guy

Why no love for Dalvin Cook?

Nobody is talking about Dalvin Cook as a top-5 or 6 RB pick, and I would like to get opinions on if he should be.  I do understand that his injury history has kept him off the field, but he is healthy coming into the 2019 season.  Cook is not in jeopardy of losing many carries or RBBC, he is explosive, and he is on a good team that can move the chains.  After Barkley, Zeek, Kamara and McCaffrey, I'm wondering why Cook is not higher in the rankings.  Would welcome your opinions.  Thanks.

I personally consider him in that second tier thats full of front line RBs with question marks. However, he has an injury history. He's missed more time over the past two years than Fournette. Also, his workload hasn't been on par with some of the other backs in the same tier. That could be because of his injury history and it could change, but thus far his rushing attempts per game have been closer to 13-15 per game, rather than the 20+ that some in this tier get. If he stays healthy I think he out performs his ADP, but that's far from a guarantee. In this tier it just comes down to which RB you want to roll the dice on. 

Piss poor health and a piss poor line.  Not a good combination.  

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

Piss poor health and a piss poor line.  Not a good combination.  

And really not great stats. How many times has that guy even gone over a 100 yd rushing?

Health is the main reason.

Nobody wants to draft someone who cannot stay healthy.

This year may be different, but You shouldnt add a risk premium to your valuation process and adjust accordingly.

This is a player you do not want to overpay to obtain.

4 hours ago, wild_and_crazy_guy said:

Nobody is talking about Dalvin Cook as a top-5 or 6 RB pick, and I would like to get opinions on if he should be.  I do understand that his injury history has kept him off the field, but he is healthy coming into the 2019 season.  Cook is not in jeopardy of losing many carries or RBBC, he is explosive, and he is on a good team that can move the chains.  After Barkley, Zeek, Kamara and McCaffrey, I'm wondering why Cook is not higher in the rankings.  Would welcome your opinions.  Thanks.

Have you owned him in a league yet?

27 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Have you owned him in a league yet?

Rotoworld  RB, Dalvin Cook MINN

Dalvin Cook was sighted at practice nursing his sore hamstring.  He's schedule to play Sunday.

Just how effective he will be is another story.  You've got to play him if he starts.  Submit your lineup and cross your fingers 

he has been pretty good when healthy..... how many games has it been?

I want no part of him. He's just ok. Another team pushing another just ok rb and treating him like he is some untouchable talent. 

There’s some love as he’s somehow still going mid round 2 despite completely ruining people’s season last year. That has to mean something for a guy yet to help anyone in his career. 

I'm targeting him in my auction league and will get him unless someone else really outbids me, like happened last year.  

I guess I'm in the minority.  I really like Cook.  His issues haven't always been with health.  His line was ranked one of the bottom two in the NFL for the last two consecutive seasons.  They drafted the best Center prospect in some time and move the other Center to Guard, a better position for him.  They also brought in another RT.  While the line isn't good by any stretch, it is the best he's had to date and definitely improved from last season.  Also, the switch to more of a Zone blocking scheme suits Cook.  It is what he had success running behind in college.  The last two seasons they have tried to run a power offense with nobody capable along the line of moving their man.  Zone blocking doesn't require that and we all know the success Kubiak has had with it.  He's not the offensive coordinator, but is their "advisor" and he designed the blocking scheme for this season.  I fully expect Dalvin to have his best season, by far. 

As for his injuries - Some of his injuries have been due to getting absolutely crushed at the line of scrimmage.  Absolutely no holes for him to run through and he was taking massive shots almost each time he touched the ball.  A quality center will help with that, but the scheme should make him more than fantasy relevant.  He carries risk, but so does everyone else.  David Johnson is going in the mid first and people seem to forget his injury history.  Gordon would have been a first rounder if not for the holdout and he's not exactly the picture of health either.  I don't see how you can go wrong with Cook in the mid-to-late Second, which is where he has been going.  I would have no issues drafting him anywhere in the second round.  None.  He will be angling for a new contract after this season.  You can't get a new contract on the sidelines, so I expect him to be more than motivated. 

We can't predict injury, but if you get injured all the time, I don't want you on my team.  Pure, plain and simple.  

27 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I guess I'm in the minority.  I really like Cook.  His issues haven't always been with health.  His line was ranked one of the bottom two in the NFL for the last two consecutive seasons.  They drafted the best Center prospect in some time and move the other Center to Guard, a better position for him.  They also brought in another RT.  While the line isn't good by any stretch, it is the best he's had to date and definitely improved from last season.  Also, the switch to more of a Zone blocking scheme suits Cook.  It is what he had success running behind in college.  The last two seasons they have tried to run a power offense with nobody capable along the line of moving their man.  Zone blocking doesn't require that and we all know the success Kubiak has had with it.  He's not the offensive coordinator, but is their "advisor" and he designed the blocking scheme for this season.  I fully expect Dalvin to have his best season, by far. 

As for his injuries - Some of his injuries have been due to getting absolutely crushed at the line of scrimmage.  Absolutely no holes for him to run through and he was taking massive shots almost each time he touched the ball.  A quality center will help with that, but the scheme should make him more than fantasy relevant.  He carries risk, but so does everyone else.  David Johnson is going in the mid first and people seem to forget his injury history.  Gordon would have been a first rounder if not for the holdout and he's not exactly the picture of health either.  I don't see how you can go wrong with Cook in the mid-to-late Second, which is where he has been going.  I would have no issues drafting him anywhere in the second round.  None.  He will be angling for a new contract after this season.  You can't get a new contract on the sidelines, so I expect him to be more than motivated. 

First off, you are not in the minority with Cook. He is going in the middle of the second round. For someone who just isn't all that good, I would say many more people are on your side than not. 

Second, what injury history with Johnson? How he missed one year due to a not so common wrist injury? OK and then all the "history" he has with injuries like.... Yeah there is not injury history. Just the one year. 

He's just not an anchor on your fantasy team.   Seeing him go in late 1st and early 2nd.  Too early for me.  There's some really good WR that's still on the board.

And yes, injuries....he'll need to prove it for one season.

5 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

First off, you are not in the minority with Cook. He is going in the middle of the second round. For someone who just isn't all that good, I would say many more people are on your side than not. 

Second, what injury history with Johnson? How he missed one year due to a not so common wrist injury? OK and then all the "history" he has with injuries like.... Yeah there is not injury history. Just the one year. 

I'm not trying to argue, but you are incorrect.  2015 he was injured in the preseason and pulled his hamstring (Grade One).  He was buried on the depth chart thereafter.  If you do a Google search on the year, he was supposed to be the top dog in the backfield, thus, the injury ruined another full season.  This injury cost him playing time, so I consider that when evaluating players.  He was also injured in November of 2016, but it didn't cost him any games, just practice time.  https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/david-johnson/7262   With Johnson, people want to overlook the 2015 season.  I don't see why.  He was the guy who was supposed to carry the full load and be a true RB1.  He missed over half his carries that year.  When you factor in the one and a half seasons he's lost, Johnson HAS missed quite a bit of time.  Just because people want to overlook it, or not take it into consideration because he was a newbie to the NFL, it isn't any less true. 

I like to use their stats (the link above) when evaluating the risk of injury between two players.  Nothing is ever going to be over 50% accurate as we're dealing with the unknown, but it's a great site to look up injuries that often go unreported.  It has helped me avoid the frustration of players I am unfamiliar with that may also have nagging injuries. 

As for Cook - Him going in the middle to late 2nd round doesn't mean people are in agreement with me.  It means he's the (hopefully) best RB available at that time.  I would take Cook in the early 2nd.  If it weren't for the top WR's available, I'd take him in the 1st and would definitely take him over a couple of the names going before him. 

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm not trying to argue, but you are incorrect.  2015 he was injured in the preseason and pulled his hamstring (Grade One).  He was buried on the depth chart thereafter.  If you do a Google search on the year, he was supposed to be the top dog in the backfield, thus, the injury ruined another full season.  This injury cost him playing time, so I consider that when evaluating players.  He was also injured in November of 2016, but it didn't cost him any games, just practice time.  https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/david-johnson/7262   With Johnson, people want to overlook the 2015 season.  I don't see why.  He was the guy who was supposed to carry the full load and be a true RB1.  He missed over half his carries that year.  When you factor in the one and a half seasons he's lost, Johnson HAS missed quite a bit of time.  Just because people want to overlook it, or not take it into consideration because he was a newbie to the NFL, it isn't any less true. 

I like to use their stats (the link above) when evaluating the risk of injury between two players.  Nothing is ever going to be over 50% accurate as we're dealing with the unknown, but it's a great site to look up injuries that often go unreported.  It has helped me avoid the frustration of players I am unfamiliar with that may also have nagging injuries. 

As for Cook - Him going in the middle to late 2nd round doesn't mean people are in agreement with me.  It means he's the (hopefully) best RB available at that time.  I would take Cook in the early 2nd.  If it weren't for the top WR's available, I'd take him in the 1st and would definitely take him over a couple of the names going before him. 

Exactly, Johnson isn't injury prone. 

11 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Exactly, Johnson isn't injury prone. 

I'm confused.  He's missed two of the last 5 years with injuries.  I'm not saying he isn't a stud, I'm simply pointing out there is risk with him.  I even provided you with a link.....  While his risk isn't any more than another RB, in my opinion, he has had a significant amount of time he's lost.  You make it sound like he's on my do not draft list or something.  I only pointed out how fickle people can be when selecting a player. 

14 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm confused.  He's missed two of the last 5 years with injuries.  I'm not saying he isn't a stud, I'm simply pointing out there is risk with him.  I even provided you with a link.....  While his risk isn't any more than another RB, in my opinion, he has had a significant amount of time he's lost.  You make it sound like he's on my do not draft list or something.  I only pointed out how fickle people can be when selecting a player. 

All I said was he isn't injury prone. He's no more injury prone than any other rb. He was never on track to be the starter because Arians wanted to use Chris to start the year. Eventually Chris got hurt and they had no choice but to go with the superior talent. Plus, Johnson only missed actual games for the wrist injury. Small "injuries" that don't keep a guy out or hamper his production don't even count. I remember that small little knee thing that happened. It scared me but he was just fine afterward. 

Biggest fear is that he has been injured. I think he has a good year, stays healthy and produces. His stats increase with Thielen and Diggs stats dropping some.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Even when he's healthy he hasn't produced RB1 numbers.

That isn't his fault though.  Look at the numbers or the game logs.  His YPC is excellent and is his yards per reception.  Zimmer got rid of the other offensive coordinator for openly defying him in games.  Zimmer wants to pound the ball.  His OC wanted to use his weapons out wide and sling the ball.  Cook was caught in the middle last season.  I'm certainly not saying to draft him ahead of the top guys, just that he's not getting the love I believe he should.  It's hard to call a second rounder a sleeper pick, but I feel Cook is going to put up better numbers than expected for the reasons I listed above. 

Rushed for over 100 yards once last year against Miami. Had over 50 yards receiving twice, the first two games of the year. This is the guy? I don't see it. 

Owner of this thread ask why he isn't a top 5/6 back in this league.   

" Nobody is talking about Dalvin Cook as a top-5 or 6 RB pick " 

I won't keep preaching.  lol  Even though he's going in the second round, you can get him on the cheap in dynasty leagues right now.  I don't expect him to run me to a title, but I do expect him to have his best season yet (shouldn't be difficult) and to show why he was drafted in the 2nd round.  I can't argue his lengthy injury history.  If you Google him, you'll see his injuries and surgeries date back to high school.  He was always able to play with them until the NFL.  I am a big believer in contract year players and systems.  I will draft a player based on the system he's in if it has worked in the past.  This system has.  Granted he's stuck facing Chicago and Detroit's defensive line twice per year, but he should still be fine.  I'm a believer.  In looking over the most recent drafts, I can't think of a player with his upside or expected volume I would choose in his place at running back.  I know it's tough on fantasy owners to do, but I say forget the last two years.  That was a bad dream.  No way does Zimmer allow a pass happy offense once again.  Totally understand though if you don't want him on your roster.  I'm happy to have him on mine though.  Maybe it's all just wishful thinking on my part due to owning him in many leagues.  I truly do feel he is capable of hitting 1,200 yards rushing and another 500+ receiving.  

He will get hurt. Injury prone is a real thing. Some men are not built for physical contact. Some are. He is not. Take Mattison in the 10th round and thank me later.

How's Cook working out for you all?  Hopefully you read the 36 posts I made or replied to regarding him this offseason.  He may struggle against Chicago next week, as most RB's do, but he's looking like a flat out top 5 pick.  They brought in the rookie for the latter half of the 3rd and 4th quarters yesterday to give Cook more rest. 

Also - love that there is someone above who said they refused to draft anyone on a bad team, yet mentioned drafting Johnson over Cook.  What?  lol  Oh, the comment about Cook being a "bad player on a bad team" was even better.  I swear, remarks people make should be filed away so you can tell the people who do not pay attention to football, but come on here to just post ignorant replies.  Or, they come on here to talk about how Yahoo doesn't have them rated as highly.  Yeah, go ahead and use what Yahoo says.  LOL  You could probably use their advice to come in 8th in an 8 team league. 

We're coming up on Week 4, which is when Cook traditionally goes out for the season.

Enjoy him while he lasts!

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

We're coming up on Week 4, which is when Cook traditionally goes out for the season.

Enjoy him while he lasts!

well, he and Sequon were my RB's in the one league of mine.

So if you are correct, I'm screwed.

Just needs to stay healthy, has the talent. 

Im happy for him. 

• Like 1