Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Can someone PLEASE explain this whole "climate change will cause more and stronger storms" thing?

Didn't somebody do this last year here and then we had a giant hurricane?  Maybe you should shush up.

Did you post it at FBG?  I am sure Tim and the idiots there will fill you in...

21 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Off the top of my head, I don't think anyone can explain that, because as far as hurricanes go, the models predict less storms but they will be more powerful.   

ETA:  Quick search says that global warming and hurricane frequency are still be debated/studied.   So if you read somewhere that hurricanes frequency is going to go up, doesn't seem to be a consensus.   

6 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Off the top of my head, I don't think anyone can explain that, because as far as hurricanes go, the models predict less storms but they will be more powerful.   

NOAA disagrees with you.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1165991/hurricane-alert-NOAA-warning-hurricane-season-peak-hurricane-path-track-nhc-news

Trump, plastic straws and fraking are to blame.  

Last year was bad, but those were the first Hurricanes to make US landfall in something like 20 years.  Pattern or aberration?  Depends on who you ask.  Only time will tell.

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Last year was bad, but those were the first Hurricanes to make US landfall in something like 20 years.  Pattern or aberration?  Depends on who you ask.  Only time will tell.

What?  You must have missed Irma in 2017

1 minute ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

I didn't. I watched it from my front porch. By the time it got to me it was only a class 1. 

I watched it from my home with a foot and half of water in it 🤬

3 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

What?  You must have missed Irma in 2017

Guess I did.  Looked it up, it was the 1st since 2005.  So is it a pattern?

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Guess I did.  Looked it up, it was the 1st since 2005.  So is it a pattern?

Don't know if its a pattern or not, I was simply pointing out the inaccuracy of your statement

2 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

I watched it from my home with a foot and half of water in it 🤬

I was concerned about the storm surge, but by the time they said it was coming our way it was too late to evacuate. Where are you? 

Just now, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

I was concerned about the storm surge, but by the time they said it was coming our way it was too late to evacuate. Where are you? 

Jacksonville, FL

1 minute ago, Meglamaniac said:

Don't know if its a pattern or not, I was simply pointing out the inaccuracy of your statement

I didn't have a foot of water in my house to remind me.  :dunno:   The point remains.  We have had several bad storms after a decade of none.  

2 minutes ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

We were 1 block away from the St Johns river, serge hit at high tide, worst flooding in a 100 years or so

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I didn't have a foot of water in my house to remind me.  :dunno:   The point remains.  We have had several bad storms after a decade of none.  

and we had 5 from 2004-2005 after a decade of none here in FL, so I'm not sure what that means pattern wise.

2 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

We were 1 block away from the St Johns river, serge hit at high tide, worst flooding in a 100 years or so

Ouch. The storm sucked a lot of water from Tampa Bay. Idiots were out there walking around because there was no water. 

5 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

I live right off the St Johns in Seminole County. I remember that flooding, I was only like 15-16 but my pizza spot was under water for a month or so (Riverwalk) it was pretty bad.

Did you know it’s one of the only rivers in the US to flow north?

1 minute ago, Meglamaniac said:

and we had 5 from 2004-2005 after a decade of none here in FL, so I'm not sure what that means pattern wise.

They don't know. Oh it's going to be a busy season and it turns out to be just average. It's like them trying to tell you where it's going to hit. Um Miami. No we mean Naples. No we mean Tampa. No we mean Mobile. 

I wonder if hurricanes, volcanic activity, tornados, cold weather, hot weather, ocean tidal activity, thunderstorms, etc. existed prior to all this planet threatening global warming caused by humans and cows? :blink:

I typically hate global warming conversations because the truth is: no one knows what they are talking about, myself included 

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

Did you know it’s one of the only rivers in the US to flow north?

Of course, the St Johns runs all through Jacksonville bending several times, that's why we have so many bridges, so it's a big part of Jax history

1 minute ago, Bert said:

NOAA disagrees with you.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1165991/hurricane-alert-NOAA-warning-hurricane-season-peak-hurricane-path-track-nhc-news

Trump, plastic straws and fraking are to blame.  

I added to my answer while you were answering.  Your link is for 1 year, I think the question "climate change will cause more and stronger storms" thing?"  is speaking to a longer time period.

3 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

Of course, the St Johns runs all through Jacksonville bending several times, that's why we have so many bridges, so it's a big part of Jax history

That’s cool, a lot of people around here don’t know. I’m off Lake Monroe which is one of the lakes it dumps off into, a lot of fun times on the St. John 

That's got to be the easiest part of it. Hotter water, hotter air creates more energy. More energy create stronger storms.

What makes everything hotter is the part that's up for debate.

Meme? I think it's just way to get people to move to the Midwest.

There are the remnants of farms under the ice sheet in Greenland.