Sign in to follow this  
track 1

Sleeper defenses this year

i like to thank the people that mentioned bears defense last year.   won me a ton of games (took me to finals).   they were on nobody radar,  who is this years sleeper defense

I like the saints... They aren't the passing team people think they are. It's a run first offense and a defense that was solid over the last half of the year.

For anyone paying attention the Browns defense is really, really good.  Plus, they have depth so if they suffer an injury they won't suck.   They have multiple playmakers which means sacks, pressures, turnovers!   The Browns offense should be dynamic and score early and often putting pressure on opposing teams to pass to catch up.  That's when that front 4 will get turned loose!!    

In mock drafts, I'm getting them in the last 2 or 3 rounds and just laughing!!!     

• Like 1

I actually drafted the Cowboys and Pat's defense in our veteran dynasty draft. There wasnt much talent left and I am in win now mode. Wanted a few options I see as being great to start the year. 

5 hours ago, Maulers1973 said:

For anyone paying attention the Browns defense is really, really good.  Plus, they have depth so if they suffer an injury they won't suck.   They have multiple playmakers which means sacks, pressures, turnovers!   The Browns offense should be dynamic and score early and often putting pressure on opposing teams to pass to catch up.  That's when that front 4 will get turned loose!!    

In mock drafts, I'm getting them in the last 2 or 3 rounds and just laughing!!!     

Maulers1973

🤨

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FantasyKing said:

Maulers1973

🤨

OP asked about a sleeper.  That's what I gave him.   I could add that they were tied with the Ravens last year for 14th in FF points scored and only 3 points behind Steelers.  Both those teams are considered great defenses!    Plus, the Browns added talent to that side of the ball in the off season.    

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Maulers1973 said:

OP asked about a sleeper.  That's what I gave him.   I could add that they were tied with the Ravens last year for 14th in FF points scored and only 3 points behind Steelers.  Both those teams are considered great defenses!    Plus, the Browns added talent to that side of the ball in the off season.    

I was just busting chops....maybe a little bit of homerism in the pick but I do like the Browns too.  You forgot to mention they do have a nice schedule as well.

• Like 1

These aren't sexy pics, but they are the sleepers I like.  I always draft two defenses, and usually try to get two of the top four or five if I can.  Those points matter!  I'll only list the true sleepers, not the defenses we already like.

Green Bay had some nice additions this offseason.  Their Secondary is improved and the young guys should only get better.  I haven't seen them drafted yet, but I'm keeping an eye on them as most teams they play will likely be forced into passing situations more often than not. 

Atlanta - They quietly had a top 9 ranking just over a year ago.  Both Defensive Ends are on the hot seat and they get multiple guys back from injury.  Plus, the HC is taking over the playcalling, just as he did on their road to the Superbowl.  There are holes, but they have three people capable of rushing the passer and a decent secondary.  I expect them to be a real life top ten defense.

Detroit - I know, it's the Lions, right?  They have a doggone solid defensive line.  It may be a top 5 line overall.  At Linebacker they aren't bad, I'd say slightly above average.  The Secondary needs work, but I believe they will improve based on the improvements along the defensive line.  You can't add Flowers & Daniels to an already good player (Snacks) and not see a vast improvement.  I would stream them for a few games if necessary. 

Denver is getting seriously overlooked.  Some may have them as a top defense already, but with Fangio as coach and the rotation they have at LB'er, not to mention the Secondary still looking solid...…  Yeah, they could be a great fantasy defense in 2019. 

Another team going overlooked is Pittsburgh.  I know they have holes in the Secondary, but that linebacking corps is looking pretty awesome.  Against weaker opponents, they could feast.  I think they will be much improved from last season. 

The defenses I have been targeting though:  Jacksonville, Chargers, Denver, Chicago and the Rams.  I don't necessarily like the Rams as much as the rest, but do like Wade Phillips and Aaron Donald.  Give me any two of these five and I will play the best matchup for the week. 

What about in dynasty? Is Minny worth holding on to? I typically never carry 2 defenses and Cleveland sitting out there. So basically drop Minny or 1 of my depth WRs like DaeSean Hamilton. 

I just looked at the Saints schedule. They start off with the Texans and @ the Rams.  Not a great start. I still like them for season long as a solid streaming option, but I may target a team with a better opening and pick up the Saints after a week or two. 

Rent to Own (Good Week 1 matchups)

Phi vs Was

Bal @ Mia

NYJ vs Buf

Dal vs NYG

Long term I like Denver and Cleveland.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

These aren't sexy pics, but they are the sleepers I like.  I always draft two defenses, and usually try to get two of the top four or five if I can.  Those points matter!  I'll only list the true sleepers, not the defenses we already like.

Green Bay had some nice additions this offseason.  Their Secondary is improved and the young guys should only get better.  I haven't seen them drafted yet, but I'm keeping an eye on them as most teams they play will likely be forced into passing situations more often than not. 

Atlanta - They quietly had a top 9 ranking just over a year ago.  Both Defensive Ends are on the hot seat and they get multiple guys back from injury.  Plus, the HC is taking over the playcalling, just as he did on their road to the Superbowl.  There are holes, but they have three people capable of rushing the passer and a decent secondary.  I expect them to be a real life top ten defense.

Detroit - I know, it's the Lions, right?  They have a doggone solid defensive line.  It may be a top 5 line overall.  At Linebacker they aren't bad, I'd say slightly above average.  The Secondary needs work, but I believe they will improve based on the improvements along the defensive line.  You can't add Flowers & Daniels to an already good player (Snacks) and not see a vast improvement.  I would stream them for a few games if necessary. 

Denver is getting seriously overlooked.  Some may have them as a top defense already, but with Fangio as coach and the rotation they have at LB'er, not to mention the Secondary still looking solid...…  Yeah, they could be a great fantasy defense in 2019. 

Another team going overlooked is Pittsburgh.  I know they have holes in the Secondary, but that linebacking corps is looking pretty awesome.  Against weaker opponents, they could feast.  I think they will be much improved from last season. 

The defenses I have been targeting though:  Jacksonville, Chargers, Denver, Chicago and the Rams.  I don't necessarily like the Rams as much as the rest, but do like Wade Phillips and Aaron Donald.  Give me any two of these five and I will play the best matchup for the week. 

My favorite one so far is Denver. I do like most of your other choices though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Raider 84 said:

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!

Jets will get lit up in the passing game. They have nothing at CB or FS, and just lost avery Williamson for the season. They should be okay on the D line and the middle of the defense with Mosley and Adams but that pass defense is going to get smoked

13 hours ago, Little Big Head said:

Jets will get lit up in the passing game. They have nothing at CB or FS, and just lost avery Williamson for the season. They should be okay on the D line and the middle of the defense with Mosley and Adams but that pass defense is going to get smoked

I saw the Jets against the Falcons and got all excited about drafting their Defense, but now maybe not, so thanks for the knowledge.

Denver and Cleveland and the Cowboys, but not sure any of these are sleepers.  Patriots D should be good too.

Jameis sacked 5 times in the first 4 series.  Maybe any team facing the Bucs?

On 8/22/2019 at 7:10 AM, Little Big Head said:

SLEEPER! Not automatic top 5.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 2:34 PM, oldtimer said:

This ^

Been consistently getting them in the last round too

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raider 84 said:

SLEEPER! Not automatic top 5.

Yep, track 1 wanted sleepers and is being told top Ds.

I always draft one defense and then pluck the best one on the WW somewhere around Week 6 or 7. But I am targeting the Jets asap. I will trust Gregg Williams will fire them up. If the secondary is attacked then maybe more picks!

Rams will be started most of the time anyway.

3 hours ago, Patriotica said:

Yep, track 1 wanted sleepers and is being told top Ds.

I always draft one defense and then pluck the best one on the WW somewhere around Week 6 or 7. But I am targeting the Jets asap. I will trust Gregg Williams will fire them up. If the secondary is attacked then maybe more picks!

Worth a gamble if you can't land a D like the Rams, Bears, ect. I tend to load up on RB and WR and take the best Def left.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:28 AM, stonewall said:

This ^

Been consistently getting them in the last round too

I have two of my Dynasty Teams where I've picked up Denver on the Waiver Wire.  I'm not certain why people aren't drafting them.  In my redrafts, like you, I've taken them with my last pick.  I don't think you can find more of a "sleeper" than a final round pick or a free agent. 

If you miss out on the top D's I love Seattle at home week 1 vs the bungles...

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:07 PM, RedzoneMonster said:

Browns just sacked Winston 5 times in one half.  Good first 2 games vs TEN and NYJ too. I’m targeting them.  

I would NEVER draft a defense/ST on their performance in a preseason game.

Cowboys. Maybe not 'sleeper' but will prolly far out perform their ranking...

Also. Whoever faces the Texans. Their OLine blows.

I think the Bills honestly have a good chance at being a Top 5 D this year; 7th last year and basically everyone is back.  They start out with the Jets, Giants, Bengals (then NE - which isn't likely a good start) and then the Titans and Dolphins.  That's not too shabby the first 6 weeks on paper for a D you can get on the cheap if not off Waivers.  Agree Seattle has a good Game1 and with Clowney, they may surprise . . . was always in on the Browns this year.  My fear with Seattle is their schedule, Bengals, Steelers, Saints, Cardinals, Rams and Browns (to me, there are only two "good" starts there with Cincy and Arizona).

I must admit, I am a fan. And a sucker probably.

But I am picking my Raiders D in the last round 

On 8/27/2019 at 4:56 PM, Shaymer said:

Cowboys. Maybe not 'sleeper' but will prolly far out perform their ranking...

Also. Whoever faces the Texans. Their OLine blows.

Cowboys....Agree.....LB-Trio might be the best in NFL

Homer pick, but the Steelers are a very different defense than they were last year.  Upgraded the only points of weakness (2nd CB and ILB) with both quality and depth.  Devin Bush is already odds on favorite for defensive rookie of the year.  Their starters are averaging 5 sacks per game in the preseason.  DL is going to be one of the best and with playmakers like TJ Watt, Bush, Joe Hayden and others they are going to be VERY tough this year.  Schedule isn't friendly and week 1 isn't likely the week to start them, but they are going to get over QB's this year and cause more turnovers.  

My usual Mr Irrelevant targets were gone so I picked up 2 defenses with my last 2 picks, the Ravens and Vikings.

May look to drop one to get an undrafted WR, Trequan Smith/Deebo/Mecole. Sanu is out there but doesn't interest me. 

Ravens seem to be better projected for the season over the Vikes, and have 2 good matchups to begin the season.