Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

My son started kindergarten today

It’s an awesome age and your son is going to grow a lot in the next year. Enjoy it. :cheers: 

Congratulations!! This is a wonderful time, please enjoy these moments.

I am glad to read that Dads feel the same emotions as Moms. You worry they'll be okay and yet you're happy for them at the same time. The only drawback about school is the illnesses they get from being around other children.

29 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

This makes me sad and anxious. 

Enjoy.  And try to slow things down.  Immerse yourself in his activities.  Time is gonna fly.  You'll soon look back and say "Wow...where did time go ? " and "Holy crap, my little boy has grown into a man...."

He will be fine.  If you are able, set aside a day each month to volunteer in the room, its a blast!

What a fun time for you!

1st grade for my boy after labor day. Why do people outside of the North East start school so focking early?

Kindergarten is a great age. My son made 2 good friends and his birthday was this weekend, we took the 3 of them out for a day of fun, he can't stop talking about it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, edjr said:

1st grade for my boy after labor day. Why do people outside of the North East start school so focking early?

Kindergarten is a great age. My son made 2 good friends and his birthday was this weekend, we took the 3 of them out for a day of fun, he can't stop talking about it.

I thought your son was older than mine for some reason. My boy is going into 2nd this year. I love this age.

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

I thought your son was older than mine for some reason. My boy is going into 2nd this year. I love this age.

Just turned 6, he was the youngest kid in school last year, 2nd tallest in his class. His 2 friends that we brought both turn 7 in September, 1 year makes such a difference at this age.  I agree, it is the best age. Just starting to watch movies I like and not just cartoons, likes to do more grown up things and stuff.

32 minutes ago, RLLD said:

He will be fine.  If you are able, set aside a day each month to volunteer in the room, its a blast!

What a fun time for you!

Agreed here.  My kid's school does this thing where everyone in the school reads for the first 15 minutes of school.  K-3 they have parents volunteer to come in and read with the kids.  I've volunteered once a week since Kindergarten.  He's in 3rd grade this year so this is the last year I'll be able to do it.  Already sad about not being able to do it next year.

34 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

next week they start reading "I have two daddies". enjoy :thumbsup:

I used to think that girl was a hottie, whatever became of her?

Fun times, enjoy them....they fly by so fast.  My youngest graduated HS last year.  For the first time in a LONG time I have zero kids doing the back to school thing this year.

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

I used to think that girl was a hottie, whatever became of her?

according to google, did some more TV (Step by Step was another show she was on), some stage work, then on to UCLA and then law school in Cali somewhere.  Practicing law under her real name, Anastasia Sagorsky.  Great stripper name, btw.  :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Agreed here.  My kid's school does this thing where everyone in the school reads for the first 15 minutes of school.  K-3 they have parents volunteer to come in and read with the kids.  I've volunteered once a week since Kindergarten.  He's in 3rd grade this year so this is the last year I'll be able to do it.  Already sad about not being able to do it next year.

You wouldn't want the other kids making fun of you and your kid when you're struggling with the 4th grade books anyway.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

This makes me sad and anxious. 

What makes me sad is your child will likely need to announce the pronouns to which the class should address your child.

7 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

You wouldn't want the other kids making fun of you and your kid when you're struggling with the 4th grade books anyway.  :thumbsup:

They put me with the dumb kids so I'm not too far behind.

7 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

What makes me sad is your child will likely need to announce the pronouns to which the class should address your child.

my only minor complaint (so far) with how the public school is brain washing him, is about the earth and plastic and the environment. I''m okay with it so far, it's not too over the top. But I hate my own 6 year old lecturing me about throwing sh1t out the car window while driving.

1 minute ago, edjr said:

my only minor complaint (so far) with how the public school is brain washing him, is about the earth and plastic and the environment. I''m okay with it so far, it's not too over the top. But I hate my own 6 year old lecturing me about throwing sh1t out the car window while driving.

Littering is bad; someone needs to tell China.

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Don't be a helicopter parent.  Enjoy the ride.  They grow up real fast.  

I try not to but he is all I have man.  It's just us 2 a min of 4 days a week and more depending on his moms schedule. 

I let him live his life. I am just close by for when he needs help usually 

4 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Littering is bad; someone needs to tell China.

Where do all old cell phones go?

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Do you really throw garbage out your car window? 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

I'm a litterbug too. I like it. 

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I do, depending where I am. 

16 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Yes :(

10 minutes ago, edjr said:

Teach your kid something and have a clean up day where you clean up trash by the side of the road.  There is literally no excuse for littering other than being a doosh.  

2 hours ago, patweisers44 said:

Fun times, enjoy them....they fly by so fast.  My youngest graduated HS last year.  For the first time in a LONG time I have zero kids doing the back to school thing this year.

Same.  Spent the past few weeks moving my daughters into an apartment at ASU.  It's weird since it isn't like I saw my youngest all of the time, but just knowing she was here was different.  Now I'm in a big house by myself.  :(

10 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Teach your kid something and have a clean up day where you clean up trash by the side of the road.  There is literally no excuse for littering other than being a doosh.  

making up for all those years of not smoking and throwing butts out the window

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Same.  Spent the past few weeks moving my daughters into an apartment at ASU.  It's weird since it isn't like I saw my youngest all of the time, but just knowing she was here was different.  Now I'm in a big house by myself.  :(

We downsized a year ago, moved less than half a mile.  Went from 5 br 3.5 bath to 3 & 2.5. 

6 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

We downsized a year ago, moved less than half a mile.  Went from 5 br 3.5 bath to 3 & 2.5. 

We are considering that exact scenario.  We are 5 br 4 bath now; 3 and 2.5 is the smallest we would do.  Oddly we are also doing a refi which lowers our payment about $1K and pays off in < 2 years (houses here can take a while to sell).  We love the neighborhood and have started to look on Zillow at smaller houses and properties.  :cheers:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

If people live in a shithole, then let them live in it.  No need to add to it. 

Those people don't seem to mind. You might say they like it. 

53 minutes ago, edjr said:

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.  That’s a pretty sh!tty thing to do though.  Why don’t you just throw it out when you stop for gas, or drugs?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.  That’s a pretty sh!tty thing to do though.  Why don’t you just throw it out when you stop for gas, or drugs?  

I keep a few plastic trash bags in the glove box, will them with whatever garbage I have and throw it out at the gas station or when I get to work. 

Its not that hard. :dunno: 

• Like 1