Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Why does any word for "black person" eventually get considered derogatory?

My rant come from this:  (old people upset they were called old)  https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/elderly-couple-waitress-message-receipt

Basically, you can't call things what they are anymore. That's the game. Can't call black people "black". Can't call mentally retarded "mentally retarded", can't call old people "old". Everything has to have an alternative name. Then, a decade or so down the road, you can't use that alternative name either, because that word is now seen as the original word. So, it went from negro, to colored, to black, African American to "people of color", and now, that is under scrutiny, so we will soon need to find a new word.

I think I've told this story before....I was coaching, at practice, and I had to refer to an opponent of one of our athletes from a tournament the weekend prior.  One of the kids at practice asked "which kid was it?" I said 'it was the black kid from Fargo"   and one of our kids opened his mouth and eyes wide and made a gasp sound.  I looked at him and said "What?"
He said "Isn't that racist?"  I said "Isn't what racist?"  He said "You calling him black."  I said something like "Oh, sorry. I'll refer to him as the green kid from now on then.  Would that make more sense to all of you?"

Anyway,  why is it, that ANY word used for blacks or mentally retarded people, eventually becomes a "disrespectful word" ? Its a serious question.

I call a spade a spade and do not care who gets offended. 

Dear tubby_mcgee,

I am black and I too am thoroughly confused. You see, they don't tell us black folks what we should be called. I learn it just as you did, through media and missteps. It's annoying that when I Google something about black people, I have to make a mental note of the era I'm wanting information about because the term for black people is really determined by the culture at the time. A black person could be referred to as:

Slave but most recently I've seen a slave referred to as a servant

Negro then Colored then Black and now African American

I think the next and final thing we should be striving to call ourselves is American with no prefix.

I think the main "rule" is dependent on your respective skin color.  It's less about the word itself, more about YOUR skin color....and yes, that IS racist....

1 minute ago, peenie said:

Dear tubby_mcgee,

I am black and I too am thoroughly confused. You see, they don't tell us black folks what we should be called. I learn it just as you did, through media and missteps. It's annoying that when I Google something about black people, I have to make a mental note of the era I'm wanting information about because the term for black people is really determined by the culture at the time. A black person could be referred to as:

Slave but most recently I've seen a slave referred to as a servant

Negro then Colored then Black and now African American

I think the next and final thing we should be striving to call ourselves is American with no prefix.

So I take it that white people are more offended by the word of the day than black people are. Yeah. That sounds about right. 

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Yur too busy chasing Shotard around trying to get him to meet you at the truck stop glory hole.

More gay Sho stuff. What is it with you?

MDCDS. :lol: 

Words do change over time. Take hourglass for instance. It used to mean slim waist and large chest. Makes sense, right? Now it's how fat chicks and their enablers  describe them.  It's  not true, but we all know what it means now. People are always trying to make themselves feel better about their situation. They say they live in the trendy part of town when they actually live near a bridge. It's sad. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Yur the guy who likes the gay stuff:

It was a joke Creeper. 

I didn’t mean to turn you on. :cry:

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

SURE it was a joke.  🤣

Whatever you need to tell yourself when you're at the Glory Hole w/Shotard.  "No seriously!  I'm not GAY"  :lol:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/81aecb23b2f9cdaec379e39996b57409/tenor.gif?itemid=3696435

You’re projecting like crazy. And missing Sho so hard. RMFF.

Edit: I know you want me to keep you “up” :cry: all day so this is my last post to your chubby middle aged guy lemon party rest stop shiit today. 

Creeper. 

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

You’re projecting like crazy. And missing Sho so hard. RMFF.

Edit: I know you want me to keep you “up” :cry: all day so this is my last post to your chubby middle aged guy lemon party rest stop shiit today. 

Creeper. 

Hmmm...more gay stuff from you.  But not surprised you like to keep guys "up".

My first year in the minor leagues a bench coach, black btw, got in my face for saying the music style I listened too was redneck.  He screamed at me and demeaned my saying the word redneck was a racist term.  To this day, I don’t understand how that offended him.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Dear tubby_mcgee,

I am black and I too am thoroughly confused. 

Funny for a black lady you have irish legs. 

27 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Hmmm...more gay stuff from you.  But not surprised you like to keep guys "up".

it would be nice to scroll through a thread and not have to roll through countless posts like this.  

to the op, mostly agree.  would guess that at some point negro was too close to the n word.  I have pretty much stuck with black guy, white guy, maybe spanish guy, or latin.  have thought african american was stupid from the get go.  

Just now, Herbivore said:

it would be nice to scroll through a thread and not have to roll through countless posts like this.  

I agree.  However, when you call out MDC (and others) on your side of the aisle for constantly doing it (instead of only right-leaning posters) then you can have the high ground. 

People who haven't spent any time around black people have no idea how racist they can be. Places like the Pacific Northwest with almost no black people but are filled to the brim with virtue signaling libtards pointing at other parts of the country and calling them racist. Hard to take these people seriously when their interaction with black people is basically what the media shows them. 

Is redneck racist? I listen to country music and there is a song talking about I'm more rednecky than you.

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

People who haven't spent any time around black people have no idea how racist they can be.

My daughter and I were discussing this issue. We both felt the south was going to be sooooo racist. It's less racist in Georgia than in NJ by far. Or....it could be that I'm just living in the Atlanta Metropolitan area and I don't truly see how the rest of the state functions. (A Georgia native explained that it is in fact really racist outside the major cities and it's like going back in time.)

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

Is redneck racist? I listen to country music and there is a song talking about I'm more rednecky than you.

It depends on who is stating it...  A white person using the "n word" is bad, but a black person using the "n word" is okay...

Same with redneck...

However, the way things are now, if you are white, anything you say is "racist"...

4 minutes ago, posty said:

It depends on who is stating it...  A white person using the "n word" is bad, but a black person using the "n word" is okay...

Same with redneck...

However, the way things are now, if you are white, anything you say is "racist"...

Redneck. Honkey. Things like that have never bothered me. It's a word. Who cares. 

29 minutes ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

Redneck. Honkey. Things like that have never bothered me. It's a word. Who cares. 

Sure, but if everyone else wants true equality then people of color can't use those words either.  You don't fight racism with MORE racism.

But I agree w/you.  They're just words and anyone should be able to use them or no one should be able to.

39 minutes ago, posty said:

the way things are now, if you are white, anything you say is "racist"...

This.  100% correct. 

When you hear rappers use the n-word, what do you think?

Is it:

Why can't I use it too?

They sound so ignorant?

Meh, I barely notice it.

They must hate themselves to use such a derogatory term.

So cool!

Depends on the song/rap.

54 minutes ago, peenie said:

Yikes. Let’s not go down the road of what you hear in music being the standard. 

Personally, there isn’t much you can say about my race that offends me, unless it’s said to be purposefully derogatory. i.e. “white boy”. 

9 minutes ago, peenie said:

Is it:

Why can't I use it too?

They sound so ignorant?

Meh, I barely notice it.

They must hate themselves to use such a derogatory term.

So cool!

Depends on the song/rap.

This

17 minutes ago, peenie said:

It varies

“Well, that’s not helpful but whatever”

”why am I listening to this”

”How loud is my volume”

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I agree.  However, when you call out MDC (and others) on your side of the aisle for constantly doing it (instead of only right-leaning posters) then you can have the high ground. 

you don't agree...you opened in this thread with your dumb trolling narrative.  bringing up sho who hasn't been around here in a year.  

57 minutes ago, peenie said:

Never have heard them because I don't listen to that crappy type of "music"...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, posty said:

Never have heard them because I don't listen to that crappy type of "music"...

Well Posty, you get a like. 

19 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

you don't agree...you opened in this thread with your dumb trolling narrative.  bringing up sho who hasn't been around here in a year.  

Except MDC had been doing it for years, yet you want to call just me out?  Way to avoid having to call out your pal, coward.

Give it a rest, hypocrite.  We get it.  As long as the troll aligns with you politically you're fine with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well Posty, you get a like. 

Woot!!!