Sign in to follow this  
NAn

Auction Drafts 2019: Any Insights?

Not having our auction draft till Labor Day weekend so seeing if anyone has had there's already (or will between now and then) and if any insights: surprises, general costs, trends

Looking for any general insights and if can, answers to these specifically:

What did top 4 RBs go for?

What did these RBS go for: Mixon, KerryJohnson, Chubb, DamWilliams, Aaron Jones, Mack, Carson, ?

What did these WRs go for: Shuster, Godwin, Evans, Keenan, Hilton, Amari, Eldeman, Diggs

What did these TEs go for: Kelce, Ertz, Kittle, Howard

Each auction is truly it's own unpredictable beast.

That being said, 10-team, 0.5 ppr, my "big money" league (drafted a few nights ago; $200 auction budget)--

The top tier RBs went for roughly what I expected: Barkley at $61, Kamara at $62. I got McCaffrey for $56. Gurley and Elliot both for $48, DJ at $47.

You had to be fairly aggressive if you wanted one of the next RB tier (hyped guys with some question marks): Chubb at $40, Mixon at $38, Connor at $34, Kerryon at $31.

Carson went for $19, Mack for $17...I saw some value there.

Schuster went for $34, AB for $30, Amari went for $28. Diggs was $22. Edelman was $20. I was happy to take Godwin for $14 and Kirk for $5.

Kelce cost $37, Kittle at $29, Howard went for $13...I got Vance MacDonald at $2, Reed at $1.

A few reflections: There are often good values to be found early before people get calibrated. Prices tend to get jacked up on the 2nd tier guys because people panic a bit (or reach for the "hyped" guys) if they were cautious early in the auction-- or they are all in on studs and duds. This year feels like there are a lot of dudes in that tier (and personally I wanted 1-2 of them in addition to a stud RB if possible). You gotta be aggressive and perhaps overpay a bit for those 2nd-3rd rounder guys you like. You're unlikely to get screaming value (without high-risk guys like AB or Gurley) there... so don't sleep.

Waiting on a QB is all the rage this year...a no-brainer in a 10-team league. Mahomes went for $26. I took Matt Ryan for $4 and Klyer Murray for $4. Pretty much everyone spent less than $10 on QB and somebody has already dropped Jameis Winston.

I felt like people overpaid for the tier 2-3 TEs. It feels like there is a lot of depth at TE to be had/streamed.

Reach for your studs. Good luck.

GG, great info, appreciate it.

Agree with the good value early,  my aim would be to try to nab one of the top4 RBs, likely really first one on the board as typically the last of that tier IME goes for most money of the tier, b/c people feeling they 'have to' get one of them. Then also grab hopefully someone from that second tier as well,  trying to nominate one of those real early before the calibration and/or the folks getting desperate for those RBs you mention.

Got great value with Godwin/Kirk there and also like Mcdonald, though may go after Ertz and/or Howard, but if they're pricey Mcdonald/Njoku/Hooper on the cheap.

Again think you got great value with Ryan (I'm so-so on Murray, but thats still decent value: I'd be targeting Winston/Wentz/Cam...what they go for? Also thinking Dak/LJackson on the cheap.

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

NAn, did you check out Doug's auction article?

Mike I did and have his info on spreadsheet of 'actual' auction values as well.   Much ups to Doug, the championship has been elusive for this auction league I've been in for 8 years, but been in playoffs 6 of 8 including 2 second place finishes and much I credit to his overall strategy's and insights.

46 minutes ago, NAn said:

Also in an auction and also drafting next week (Labor day)...when's yours?  I was going to post some key player costs, insights, etc from my draft in another thread if yours is later (I bumped a thread about it).  I'm tweaking my rankings too, but right now have  Godwin/Williams like 3-4 spots higher and Lockett 5-6 lower than how their listed on FFTs rankings.  Like to get one of the big 4 RBs and one of the tier 3 RBs, but then will have to go on the cheap at  WR so looking at some value guys in that 4-6 tier

We haven't scheduled it yet but probably will be either the Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day.  Mine is a keeper league, keep up to 3 for just one year. 

I won the championship (my 2nd in the last 3 years) and I have quite a few good keeper options.  It's $1000 budget, and whatever auction price they went for in last year's auction draft is the price to keep them this year.  Only 8 team PPR but we start double the normal players so 2QB, 2TE, 2D, 2K, 2RB, 3WR, 2 FLEX.  We can't keep more than 1 from the same position. 

I can keep Saquon for $180, Davante Adams for $81, JuJu for $72, Thielen for $66, Deshaun Watson for 95, Baker Mayfield for $16, Lamar Jackson for $1, Josh Allen for $1, George Kittle for $16, Lockett for $1, Mike Williams for $1, Damian Williams for $3, Darius Leonard IDP for $1, Justin Tucker for $5, Greg Zeurlein for $3.   

I think I'll keep Saquon, Davante Adams, and Deshaun Watson. 

I like the following players for 2019:  Mayfield (or Wentz or Goff), Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray, Dalvin Cook, Nick Chubb, Kerryon Johnson (I had him last year too but cut him when he got hurt),  Fournette, Chris Carson, Marlon Mack, Sony Michel, Duke Johnson, JuJu, Thielen, Amari Cooper, Diggs, Mike Willliams, DJ Moore, Lockett, Tyler Boyd, Cooper Kupp, DeDe Westbrook, OJ Howard, Evan Engram, and then hopefully late for cheap Breida, Guice, Justice Hill, Will Fuller, Gallup, James Washington, Marquise Goodwin, John Brown, Valdes-Scantling, Miles Boykin, Herndon.

Wow, the 1000 budget is hard to get my head around, but like the keeper aspect (and that they go for previous yr price) and the increased lineup to offset the 8 teams.  

I'm with you on Saquon and Watson, but I'd personally go Juju there, but that's more of a preference thing.  I like your list overall but not so much Fournette (after last yr i'd personally take a wait and see approach), Mack (just slight downgrade b/c of Luck), Michel(eh). and already shared my thoughts on Lockett. I like Dede/Kupp/Guice Santling  a lot value wise and I'd include Robby Anderson, Kirk DarwThompson as other likes.

Actual values may not be helpful as every league is different.

I will say that the top RBs went for A LOT of money this year in my league. They always cost a lot but seems like there was an additional 10-20% premium this year. So if you want one of the top four be prepared to go beyond your comfort level. Like someone else said the second and third tier RBs often seemed more aggressively bid on than usual this year, including the main rookies. There’s definitely a sense of urgency even more so than usual among the top 25 RBs.

QBs were dirt cheap. Like probably even too cheap. I got Deshaun Watson for a song. Followed up with Wilson for when Deshaun gets hurt. Mahomes and Rodgers were the only two people spent real money on and with Rodgers I suspect it’s mostly because we have a couple Packers homers. Personally I would target the position and make it one if strength since the cost is so low.

TEs, seemed to me like the top guys went a little cheap considering how much separation there is this year. Conversely the second tier guys probably went for too much as other than Engram I don’t think there’s a potential home run to be had. Be prepared to spend more than usual this year unless you scrounge in the TE8-15 range (which may well be the way to go).

WRs were a little cheaper than usual this year. Significant separation between top tier RB and top tier WR prices whereas they are usually somewhat close. Lots of value to be had in WR2 area and beyond, as always. 

What's Melvin going for on a percentage basis of the cap?  Asking cause I can keep Eke for a buck.

3 hours ago, NAn said:

Wow, the 1000 budget is hard to get my head around, but like the keeper aspect (and that they go for previous yr price) and the increased lineup to offset the 8 teams.  

I'm with you on Saquon and Watson, but I'd personally go Juju there, but that's more of a preference thing.  I like your list overall but not so much Fournette (after last yr i'd personally take a wait and see approach), Mack (just slight downgrade b/c of Luck), Michel(eh). and already shared my thoughts on Lockett. I like Dede/Kupp/Guice Santling  a lot value wise and I'd include Robby Anderson, Kirk DarwThompson as other likes.

I added Fournette to my list more recently because they used him a lot on swing passes in the preseason and he looks spectacular.  Sony Michel looks like Emmitt Smith out there and I will be taking him for sure and I suggest anyone to look at his preaseason tape from the last game.  As for JuJu I actually do like him more than Davante Adams but I kind of want both so maybe I'll keep JuJu and try and redraft Davante.

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Actual values may not be helpful as every league is different.

I will say that the top RBs went for A LOT of money this year in my league. They always cost a lot but seems like there was an additional 10-20% premium this year. So if you want one of the top four be prepared to go beyond your comfort level. Like someone else said the second and third tier RBs often seemed more aggressively bid on than usual this year, including the main rookies. There’s definitely a sense of urgency even more so than usual among the top 25 RBs.

QBs were dirt cheap. Like probably even too cheap. I got Deshaun Watson for a song. Followed up with Wilson for when Deshaun gets hurt. Mahomes and Rodgers were the only two people spent real money on and with Rodgers I suspect it’s mostly because we have a couple Packers homers. Personally I would target the position and make it one if strength since the cost is so low.

TEs, seemed to me like the top guys went a little cheap considering how much separation there is this year. Conversely the second tier guys probably went for too much as other than Engram I don’t think there’s a potential home run to be had. Be prepared to spend more than usual this year unless you scrounge in the TE8-15 range (which may well be the way to go).

WRs were a little cheaper than usual this year. Significant separation between top tier RB and top tier WR prices whereas they are usually somewhat close. Lots of value to be had in WR2 area and beyond, as always. 

Thanks IGW, good stuff.
Yes agree that all leagues are different and have to take into account the nuances of your own league but I like to do this to get an idea of some prices but also general insight as you share above.

Yeah, I'm thinking of putting out one of the 2nd-3rd tier RBs early before the price value inflates.  Love to get Deshaun cheap-ish, but be good with Winston/Wentz/Mayfield/Dak on the real cheap.

Good to know on TEs as after big 3 I'll likely go cheap.

Appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Gepetto said:

I added Fournette to my list more recently because they used him a lot on swing passes in the preseason and he looks spectacular.  Sony Michel looks like Emmitt Smith out there and I will be taking him for sure and I suggest anyone to look at his preaseason tape from the last game.  As for JuJu I actually do like him more than Davante Adams but I kind of want both so maybe I'll keep JuJu and try and redraft Davante.

Can't blame you on Fournette, I will likely miss out either way, but he could have big season.  Thanks on Michel, going to go back and see if can catch some preseason on him.  

When you do an auction, is there a time limit on the player available, or is it a free for all until people stop bidding?  How does that work?  They sound fun. 

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

When you do an auction, is there a time limit on the player available, or is it a free for all until people stop bidding?  How does that work?  They sound fun. 

They are fun.  Each player is nominated and then bid on.  So, say first person is up to start the nomination to start the draft, they nominate anyone, Saquon Barkley (usually higher expected priced players are nominated first) but you could nominate Tony Pollard first, or Sterling Shepard, anyone.  So the nomination process is done with usually a $1 bid, but they can nominate any dollar amount they have so they could nominate a player for say $30 to start the bidding.  Anyway after a certain amount of time with no bids, which can be adjusted before the draft, a timer will count down and on ESPN a beeping sound will start continuously and then a voice will say going once...going twice...and then if no bids it will say SOLD.  If there is another bid the timer jumps back up to 10 seconds (or whatever your league sets it at) and then it counts down again and the voice warning saying going once happens again.

9 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

They are fun.  Each player is nominated and then bid on.  So, say first person is up to start the nomination to start the draft, they nominate anyone, Saquon Barkley (usually higher expected priced players are nominated first) but you could nominate Tony Pollard first, or Sterling Shepard, anyone.  So the nomination process is done with usually a $1 bid, but they can nominate any dollar amount they have so they could nominate a player for say $30 to start the bidding.  Anyway after a certain amount of time with no bids, which can be adjusted before the draft, a timer will count down and on ESPN a beeping sound will start continuously and then a voice will say going once...going twice...and then if no bids it will say SOLD.  If there is another bid the timer jumps back up to 10 seconds (or whatever your league sets it at) and then it counts down again and the voice warning saying going once happens again.

That's awesome.  I'll check out the ESPN auctions and see what they have open for this weekend. 

54 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That's awesome.  I'll check out the ESPN auctions and see what they have open for this weekend. 

OT, they really are, if you can ever join or convert your league highly recommend...most ppl prefer it and don't' like going back to serpentine.

All the threads with 'what do I do with 'x' pick' as people don't want to reach but also don't want to miss out on players? Doesn't happen with auctions.  

With caveat, as long as your willing to pay, you can have any player/s you want.  Not hamstrung by your draft position.

You want to get two of the big 4 RB, you can do it (have to bargain hunt rest of roster, but you could).  Want to gt a top RB/WR/TE...you can do that.

And in action the drafts are great when the commish is counting down: 'Barkley for 60, going once...going twice...s...' then someone yells '61!'

59 minutes ago, NAn said:

OT, they really are, if you can ever join or convert your league highly recommend...most ppl prefer it and don't' like going back to serpentine.

All the threads with 'what do I do with 'x' pick' as people don't want to reach but also don't want to miss out on players? Doesn't happen with auctions.  

With caveat, as long as your willing to pay, you can have any player/s you want.  Not hamstrung by your draft position.

You want to get two of the big 4 RB, you can do it (have to bargain hunt rest of roster, but you could).  Want to gt a top RB/WR/TE...you can do that.

And in action the drafts are great when the commish is counting down: 'Barkley for 60, going once...going twice...s...' then someone yells '61!'

Thank you for the information.  I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.  I think associating a dollar value to your player like this would be a blast.  Years ago I was in a salary cap league, but it wasn't an auction like this.  We had escalating contracts and there was an initial "auction", but it was new to us and we had everyone available at one time.  To prevent people from bidding at the last minute, a new bid would extend the timer and bidding was shut off between 10pm and 10am.  It was nearly impossible to keep up with everyone though.  One player at a time is just awesome.  My holiday weekend plans are set.  lol

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Thank you for the information.  I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.  I think associating a dollar value to your player like this would be a blast.  Years ago I was in a salary cap league, but it wasn't an auction like this.  We had escalating contracts and there was an initial "auction", but it was new to us and we had everyone available at one time.  To prevent people from bidding at the last minute, a new bid would extend the timer and bidding was shut off between 10pm and 10am.  It was nearly impossible to keep up with everyone though.  One player at a time is just awesome.  My holiday weekend plans are set.  lol

LOL Nice!  That salary cap league sounds interesting too, but auction draft, everything happening in the moment (that's another thing, none of this I just made my pick I could chill for a bit, you have to be on your toes and ready b/c you never know when a player you want could be put up for bid) is just a lot of fun!

If you're drafting online and have an early nomination slot, try throwing out Mike Thomas, WR LAR as your first nomination and see if you can get the piranhas to bid him up to $40 or so before they figure out what's going on.

Even if no one bites and you get stuck with him for $1, you can just drop him later for a K.

4 hours ago, unclemercy said:

keep juju instead of deshawn

We can only keep one at each position, so for WR it's either Davante Adams, JuJu, Thielen, Lockett, or Golladay.

Yes all drafts different but some random thoughts from mine last night, using FFToday’s positional tiers for reference:

https://www.fftoday.com/rankings/playerrank.php?o=2&PosID=20&LeagueID=1

Pretty typical of any auction, but just reminder, watch your tiers.  Number of players at bottom of tiers went for as much as if not more than those at top of that tier as owners wanted to make sure to get their key position players for their teams.

Big 3RBs went for 61-64 each. 

Zeke went for 55, so still belief he will sign, but be ready to pay for Pollard, owners knew Zeke owner had to hedge and they pushed up his cost, so basically still had to pay comparable to the Big 3 to get Zeke/Pollard.

Bottom fell out on DWilliams as he went as an afterthought for 6, Mccoy went for 8 (Darwin 1).

Tier 5-6 of RBs decent value, no real reaches except for Guice who went for more than rest of tier (and cuffed with Peterson).

Top 5 tiers of WRs price v value of each player about right, if waited till tier 6 (Dede/Kirk/Samuels/Sanders types) got some great value

Top tier of QBs went about right price v value, with Mahomes going for 25, after that could get some real bargains at QB, likes of Brees/Ryan/Brady/Cam for 5-8

Unless you wanted Wentz or Mayfield, they both went for 12.

No one really expects Gordon will play, he went for 8, Ekeler went for 16, Jackson 6

Kelce 34, Kittle 27, Ertz 19.  Thought Howard at 15 was a reach, rest went for 1-12

• Thanks 1

appreciate you sharing results. i have one tonight at 9 and will report back after if it helps anyone going last minute/just to compare.

1 hour ago, NAn said:

Yes all drafts different but some random thoughts from mine last night, using FFToday’s positional tiers for reference:

https://www.fftoday.com/rankings/playerrank.php?o=2&PosID=20&LeagueID=1

Pretty typical of any auction, but just reminder, watch your tiers.  Number of players at bottom of tiers went for as much as if not more than those at top of that tier as owners wanted to make sure to get their key position players for their teams.

Big 3RBs went for 61-64 each. 

Zeke went for 55, so still belief he will sign, but be ready to pay for Pollard, owners knew Zeke owner had to hedge and they pushed up his cost, so basically still had to pay comparable to the Big 3 to get Zeke/Pollard.

Bottom fell out on DWilliams as he went as an afterthought for 6, Mccoy went for 8 (Darwin 1).

Tier 5-6 of RBs decent value, no real reaches except for Guice who went for more than rest of tier (and cuffed with Peterson).

Top 5 tiers of WRs price v value of each player about right, if waited till tier 6 (Dede/Kirk/Samuels/Sanders types) got some great value

Top tier of QBs went about right price v value, with Mahomes going for 25, after that could get some real bargains at QB, likes of Brees/Ryan/Brady/Cam for 5-8

Unless you wanted Wentz or Mayfield, they both went for 12.

No one really expects Gordon will play, he went for 8, Ekeler went for 16, Jackson 6

Kelce 34, Kittle 27, Ertz 19.  Thought Howard at 15 was a reach, rest went for 1-12

So for $15 you could have the KC backfield? That’s a bargain though a waste of bench spots and a headache until it sorts out 

4 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

So for $15 you could have the KC backfield? That’s a bargain though a waste of bench spots and a headache until it sorts out 

Yes on all counts.  And in my draft it was 3 different owners.  DWill went first and that owner got involved briefly in the Mccoy bidding but then let him go.  Amazing how that situation has changed in just a week or so.

8 team ppr, start 2QB, 2RB, Flex1, 3WR, Flex2, 2TE, 2K, 2D/ST, 1IDP

Keepers D Watson, S Barkley, D Adams with auction value shown from last year's draft.

Everyone else obviously is shown with what I paid in auction dollars a couple days ago.  $1,000 budget. 

QB  Deshaun Watson $95
QB Jameis Winston $35
RB  Saquon Barkley $182
RB Dalvin Cook $162
RB Chris Carson $71
WR  Davante Adams $81
WR JuJu Smith-Schuster $161
WR Adam Thielen $144
WR Corey Davis $12
TE O.J. Howard $34
TE T.J. Hockenson $1
IDP Bobby Wagner $1
D/ST Houston Texans $1
D/ST Kansas City Chiefs $1
K Adam Vinatieri $1
K Mason Crosby $2
QB Marcus Mariota $6
WR Courtland Sutton $1
WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling $3
RB Royce Freeman $1
RB Latavius Murray $1
RB Justice Hill $1
WR Miles Boykin $1
WR Marquise Goodwin $1
WR John Brown $1
Total   $1,000

traded Courtland Sutton for Lamar Jackson

I will likely drop Chiefs D/ST for Seahawks D/ST

I will likely drop Mariota for either Ebron or Devante Parker

man wow ours was all over the place 

16team pt per 1st down

i can answer individual questions otherwise i can just list my individual results $200 budget i had some reaches but found some value. listed in order or when they were added. combined with deep benches money flys around in 16 team leagues geez louise.

julio $47

kerryon $28

edelman $19

woods $26

drake $14

white $20

cohen $23

jameis $9

darwin $7

humphries $2

gesicki $1

cj $3

brate $1

was a run on tes. most teams have three for some reason and they all spent big. known names for perspective.

saquon $65

zeke $57

mahomes $31

conner $50

juju $49

hopkins $60

mccafrey $63

kamara $67

chubb $50

dalvin $50

thomas $51

leveon $47

kelce $47

devante $53

who else if any?

8 minutes ago, unclemercy said:

16team pt per 1st down

edelman $19

cohen $23

Maybe it's just that I don't have any pt per 1st down leagues, but is that what makes Edelman worth $4 less than Cohen?

i stole edelman. idk why i got him so cheap. bid up cohen because the end of real depth was running out. we do faab but with 16 teams and long benches its fairly worthless. bid high af here.