Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Roster size, draft date, cut down date?

I think it's 22...8/27...8/22

Roster size is 22 and the draft starts on the upcoming Tuesday. Roster cutdowns are supposed to be the Thursday before (which may well be today if today is Thursday, all days are the same when you're on vacation) but it seems with may teams they're not in. I've been slow to go about shaking the coconut tree this year  and I've clearly not been shaking it hard enough.

It takes me about a half hour to snip out the unused draft picks so in that regard it's not a big deal, but I set it on the Thursday because people should have a day or three to be able to browse the cut players as well to see if anybody worthwhile is available. As for the draft starting on the day after the third week, that's the "dress rehearsal" game and starting the day after it ends gives us maximum time to evaluate players and finish up before the NFL season starts.

It's a good time for us. The draft takes about five days to complete and from that Tuesday to the first Thursday night game is ten days, we've never come close to overrunning the start of the season. Leagues that draft earlier generally temporarily expand the roster then cutdown before kickoff of the first game. You draft based on hype and team situation and practice rumors and you watch preseason hoping your guy shines. Our way, you get a good eyeful of as much info as you can to make an informed decision. By pushing back the draft as late as we safely can, there's no time to expand and then cutdown and so we just cutdown first.