Sign in to follow this  
kennymaine

James Conner at 5th pick

I keep hearing this is not a good pick, but can not see why. D Johnson, Bell and Gurley will be there after the top 4 RB's go. Why should I take one of those. Don't see it. Conner is running behind one of the best lines in the NFL and they have a great offense. Johnson and Bell are playing on a sub-par team and Gurley's health is still in question. I know Hopkins will be there but I think there's way more receiver depth in the draft than RB's. Talk me out of it or you could agree,

Edited by kennymaine
bell added

I don't think he's build to be a 3 down back in the NFL.

He hit a wall after week 9 last season.  I think Samuel is a better talent to handle the work load.

• Like 1

The offense could take a step back this year. Conner had 13 TDs, that could come down this year. Also the possibility of him losing some work to Samuels is there. I wouldn't fault someone for taking him, but he's not a guarantee.

• Like 1

I wouldn't draft him that high for the reasons posted above.  He's not really built to be a full time workhorse.  I can see him losing some touches this season as they wore him out last year.  It's speculation on my part, but I can see teams stacking the box more this season as well, at least until the Steelers prove they have a combo at WR that is as lethal as Ju Ju and AB were last season.  That opened an awful lot of holes for the running back.  I would expect teams to challenge Ju Ju with their top CB the first few games and see how he handles it.  AB was always double covered.  So....  A lot of things to consider before drafting him that high.  I think he has a pretty high floor, at least early in the season, but think you could find someone with a much higher ceiling. 

I personally see him more in the 10-15 range and would really need to think about it to take him that high.

Basically same thoughts as above.

You don't really give us enough information (League size, starting lineup, bench spots, scoring system) to make a credible argument for another player.

But 80% of Todd Gurley is about as good as Conner was and there's potential for more from Gurley. Also potential for a lot less. David Johnson is a better receiver than Conner and has no one to push him for touches. So take DJ. There may be WR depth, but depth WR tend to be rather inconsistent from week to week. DeAndre Hopkins is the alpha dog for the Texans and will put up consistent numbers week to week that you won't get from your 4th round WR. I'd rather have Hopkins in round 1 and Carson in Round 4 than Conner in Round 1 and Kenny Golladay or Brandin Cooks in Round 4.

• Like 1

#5 might be a little high for JC, but all the predictions of sharing the load with Samuels....that would be a major changing of tendencies from Tomlin - i just don't expect him change his stripes in that manner

I expect the same or better as last year from Conner, draft at 1.05 with confidence.

• Like 2

You feel like league mates will go for DJ/Gurley/Bell there? If so can you trade down to maybe improve spot in 2nd round turn and/or elsewhere in draft?

B/c to take him at 5 he has to pretty much perform as the top5 RB for his value to be worth it.  Anything less and less value.  Moving down could help hedge that (and again improve spot/other value later in draft) value.

• Like 1

Isn't James Conner 230 lbs.  How is he not built to be a workhorse back?

After the top 4 RB's, every RB in the next tier (Conner, Bell, Chubb, D.Johnson, Cook, Gurley) has a risk. James Conner is on an offense that can amplify the fantasy value of any RB.  The only risk with Jame Conner is that J. Samuels can be just as productive, and the Steelers indicated they intend to share carries more in 2019.  It is not unreasonable to take James Conner as the 5th overall pick, but it is hard to make a case that any one of these guys is clearly the top of the tier.  As a side note, it is especially comical to read posts saying that David Johnson is clearly the #5 pick...like they're reading a FF magazine from 2016, when he was on a very different Cardinals team. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wild_and_crazy_guy said:

After the top 4 RB's, every RB in the next tier (Conner, Bell, Chubb, D.Johnson, Cook, Gurley) has a risk. James Conner is on an offense that can amplify the fantasy value of any RB.  The only risk with Jame Conner is that J. Samuels can be just as productive, and the Steelers indicated they intend to share carries more in 2019.  It is not unreasonable to take James Conner as the 5th overall pick, but it is hard to make a case that any one of these guys is clearly the top of the tier.  As a side note, it is especially comical to read posts saying that David Johnson is clearly the #5 pick...like they're reading a FF magazine from 2016, when he was on a very different Cardinals team. 

I was high on DJ coming into preseason but I've cooled since. I still believe in DJ but that oline is some kind of terrible.Honestly there isn't an RB that I feel great about outside of the top four, which is why I like the idea of taking the perceived safety of elite and top end WRs early. It gives me the ability to throw more darts at the RB position in the middle rounds, since I'm not using picks on middling WR3s and it decreases some risk of a top pick busting.

I believe in the first couple rounds you try to eliminate risk and later in the draft you look to maximize it

Risk Factors

*Offensive regression without Brown

* Has yet to hold up be Bell Cow for more than 1 season and showed slowing down factors last year 

* Increased touches by Samuel 

* Ben injury, one of the older more beat up QBs, that could derail offense

* Significant improvements by the rest of the division. Cleveland and BMore rising and Cinci finally a decent coordinator.  Maybe the Steelers offense spends less time with the ball in hand this year 

• Like 1

No way  is Conner worth the number five pick. 

• Like 1

Bottom line, though, is that if you like Conner better than everyone else for whatever reason, you should take him at 5 because he absolutely won't be there with your next pick.

Now whether you should like him better than other players is up for debate.  Personally, from a roster construction perspective, I'd take a wide receiver there (Davante or Hopkins only) because you can find value in the mid rounds at runningback.

For runningbacks, assuming all of the top 4 or gone, I'd take Conner over everyone but Chubb.

kennymaine , don't listen to the nay sayers , take Conner and laugh your A$$ off to the playoffs !

• Like 1

Sept. 3rd is draft night and I'm all in on taking JC over any other possible RB at 5. Only possible question is Top WR. Still think WR depth out weighs RB depth meaning grab RB early

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, nobody said:

Isn't James Conner 230 lbs.  How is he not built to be a workhorse back?

I should have put that differently.  I meant not built to be a workhorse back in the sense he isn't a guy who isn't going to wear down as the season progresses, like he did in a big way last season.  His actual body size is fine.  lol