Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Duke Johnson - Redraft Value

Okay...assuming that the Texans don't bring in a big-name RB, and give Duke a chance to prove that he can be a 3-down back, where is his value now in a redraft....both ppr and non-ppr?

It almost seems like the stars are aligning for this cat, after seeing the writing on the wall wanting to get out of Cleveland. I have always believed that he had the potential to really be a scorcher, and more importantly, he believes that he has what it takes to be a 3-down back, but has just never been given the chance. He seems to check all the boxes....has the size, speed, hands, and QB protection skills. Do the Texans believe? Has he been unfairly labeled as only a "3rd down back"?

Again IF Houston doesn't make a major move....is the late 2nd/early 3rd tenable, particularly considering his fantastic receiving abilities?

4 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

damarea crockett

Yes, Davey Crockett's wife had a catchy name....

I don’t know, seems like a lotta risk to me. He’s never done it before. If he was so great how come he didn’t beat out freaking Isaiah Crowell? Why did Cleveland have to go draft Chubb and sign Hunt?

Now it’s possible Cleveland focked up. Certainly a possibility with that franchise at least up until last year.

Houston did deal a fourth for him which can become a third. That’s not nothing.

So there’s hope there but I wouldn’t get too carried away. If he really shoots up boards to RB2 area I’d probably let someone else take the risk.

i think you could slot him 5th round range to alleviate potential downsides so whats that around tarik below ekelar and coleman but ahead of miles guice and drake depending on your individual leanings.

• Like 1

Did I hear 2nd or 3rd round?  

Even if you slot him there as far as value I can’t imagine the rest of any league does and that would be bad a bad use of draft capital 

He deserves to be no higher than Lamar Miller was ranked initially 

If there’s ‘more clarity’ now because the starter is done and now he’s ‘the guy’ wait a week 

If the rumors of a trade for McCoy is true I wouldn’t move him much.  

I think McCoy could be a darn good pick up for the Texas. Glad I don’t draft until next weekend. 

Hey good luck with this issue. 

Texans will get a rb somewhere.

duke is not the answer.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle expects Duke Johnson to "get all the playing time he can handle."

Houston's backfield has thinned out considerably following the sudden release of D'Onta Foreman and now a potentially season-ending injury to bell cow Lamar Miller. Johnson has never been a featured back—the Browns mostly employed him as a passing-down complement to Isaiah Crowell and later Nick Chubb. But Johnson, who has averaged a healthy 4.3 yards per carry for his career with 13 touchdowns in four NFL seasons (five rushing, eight receiving), should be up to the task. The Texans will assuredly bring in another running back for depth purposes, but there's no doubt Johnson will see an increased workload this year. He's the RB26 and 63rd overall in our latest PPR rankings.

24 minutes ago, nzoner said:

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle expects Duke Johnson to "get all the playing time he can handle."

It's like deja vu all over again. 

I see him getting 15ish touches per game.  His value will be determined by how they use him near the goal line.

I could never figure out why he wasn't more utilized in Cleveland.  I guess we'll find out.

One thing that I keep coming back to......the man is hungry and desperate to prove himself.

I'm taking a flier.

Edit: Just finished a 12-man non-ppr redraft with guys in the know, and snagged Duke early in the 7th. Obviously, there is little confidence in the man at this point...but I am quite satisfied and optimistic with that potential return in value.

• Like 1

If if if they the Texans don’t sign someone like a McCoy, the Duke could be as valuable as a low rb2 if he also gets the goalline work.  

I wouldn’t worry about McCoy. Pretty sure those rumors are baseless. I mean of course the Texans will bring in somebody for depth at least, but are they going to trade for an expensive washed up guy and give him all the touches? Doubt it

This to me has the feel of us getting all excited, all in in Duke Johnson thinking he's the only one that's going to touch the ball, then not only do they give someone on the roster 5-7 carries a game, they also sign someone off the street to handle 7-9 carries leaving Duke with a handful of carries and some catches.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Birk said:

They signed ajayi. So what's that do for duke now. 

That was an erroneous report. They didn't even bring in Ajayi for a workout. 

I've posted here the past two years that he's the most undervalued RB in the NFL.  He was absolutely stellar in college.  He has the size and speed, not to mention the hands.  Miller only had 210 carries last season and was effective.  I can see Johnson getting that, and being more effective, especially as a receiver.  Fortunately, I've owned him in my dynasty leagues for years, so I finally get the opportunity to use him.  As for redraft, I'd take him in the same position you had Miller.  I do not a dropoff here for several reasons.  The Colts are not going to be the same high scoring team they were last season.  This should mean more opportunities for short passes and running plays against them, both which favor Johnson.  The Titans have holes in the middle of their defense and their offense has been even worse this preseason than anyone could have imagined.  Same game plan against them as for the Colts.  The opportunity is going to be there.  Is he going to be a RB1?  Not likely, but he could be a very good RB2 that you get later than where Miller was going.  Johnson is one of the RB's that make taking WR's early work out so well.  He has surprising power for his size and a great burst.  I bet he's chomping at the bit to get this season started.