Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Fake News

I read quite a few articles this weekend that were disgustingly false.  This is the time of year when fantasy writers like to release their "sleepers" and "buy low" guys, then brag next year how they told you the player would blow up.  The issue is the ADP's they are using are grossly inaccurate. 

One article said Winston would be a top 8 fantasy QB and you should take him as early as the 14th round.  What?  I did two redrafts this weekend.  In the first, Winston went in the 8th.  In the one I did on Sunday he went at the 9.03.  He's not lasting until the 14th round, or beyond, as the fantasy author wrote.  Maybe in free leagues, but certainly not in pay leagues. 

Another claimed you should draft Running Backs with your two first selections as top WR's are falling down the board.  Mike Evans was listed as a guy you could nab in the 3rd round.  Ummmm, no.  Unless you're playing in a 6 team league, he will not be there in round 3.  I'm quite certain the author will brag next year how he told you to draft Evans earlier than other people were willing to do.  How bogus.  I despise fantasy writers.

Sleeper picks - I've seen Marlon Mack, Aaron Jones and Ekeler as guys you can target "late" and use them to win your league.  Again, what??  What is "late"?  None of the three are going "late" in any redraft I've done.  Mack and Jones most certainly are not sleepers and Ekeler isn't either, in my book. 

Fantasy "experts" have gotten to the point they make me sick.  What I have read in the articles is NOT what I'm seeing in live drafts.  I suspect some of these "experts" don't do any drafting outside of their "experts" league.  Believe these articles at your own risk.  If you wait on a player based on what the talking heads say, you likely aren't getting that player. 

These articles have been around for a while. I don't know how writers who make these ridiculous claims get traffic. Someone out there is probably suggesting to take Tyreek Hill in the 4th

• Like 1

I don't usually do redraft leagues.  I think they're kind of vanilla and lame.   I play in a comprehensive club league that is a keeper league with an auction draft and includes IDP and kickers and punters.   After that, I dabble in DFS.   

I gleam information about players, coaching staffs, teams, and such.   However, when guys talk about ADP, I kind of roll my eyes.    lol    

• Like 1

honestly, if you expect him to be a starter, the 14th round is too long to wait.  even if you feel he is overperforming.

The 8th is about what I'd expect in a normal league, with standard scoring.   I havnt done any analysis, but that feels about right.   

If you want him bad, you take him a round early. 

If you have 2 QB's you are looking at and neither has gone at the end of round 7, maybe you take a chance to see if they drop into round 9 (depending on where you pick)

but if you are wanting to take your Starting QB in round 14, I'd suggest you are waiting too long.

• Like 1