Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Pick'em and Survival League??

I know someone else usually set this up but I can if there is any interest.  How many would sign up? 

On the Pick'em settings do we want:

Confidence points? Y or N

Pick against the spread? Y or N

I say yes to both but whatever you guys want is fine with me.

The more the merrier so hopefully we get a good group to play this year.  Let me know.

Set it up.

:thumbsup:

No and :nono:

19 minutes ago, edjr said:

No and :nono:

I didn't expect you would but hopefully, you reconsider.  It's a team-building exercise.  :)

18 minutes ago, posty said:

Free?

Yeah, it's just for fun.  Also, you're like Mikey from life cereal.  If I could get you to play everyone would prolly join.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Yeah, it's just for fun.  Also, you're like Mikey from life cereal.  If I could get you to play everyone would prolly join.

:first:

How do you play? :dunno:

54 minutes ago, peenie said:

How do you play? :dunno:

On the Pick'em you will pick who you think will win each game each week.  We will pick against the spread, whatever point spread Yahoo uses, and also of the 16 or so games each week we will put number 1-16 of how confident you are with that particular pick and you will get points accordingly to your confidence points.  For instance, if I'm really confident that Seattle will beat Cincinnatti in week 1 I might make that 16 confidence points and if correct I will get 16 points, if incorrect I will get 0 points for that game.  I'm prolly explaining it as clear as mud but it will make more sense once you see inside of the league. 

On the survival league, you choose one team each week who you are confident will win their game but you can only pick that team once for the season.  If you choose correctly you pick again next week, if your team loses then you're out.  I don't think we pick against the spread in survival league.

are we doing this or what?

1 hour ago, fandandy said:

On the Pick'em you will pick who you think will win each game each week.  We will pick against the spread, whatever point spread Yahoo uses, and also of the 16 or so games each week we will put number 1-16 of how confident you are with that particular pick and you will get points accordingly to your confidence points.  For instance, if I'm really confident that Seattle will beat Cincinnatti in week 1 I might make that 16 confidence points and if correct I will get 16 points, if incorrect I will get 0 points for that game.  I'm prolly explaining it as clear as mud but it will make more sense once you see inside of the league. 

On the survival league, you choose one team each week who you are confident will win their game but you can only pick that team once for the season.  If you choose correctly you pick again next week, if your team loses then you're out.  I don't think we pick against the spread in survival league.

I understand!

I don't understand, df?

24 minutes ago, peenie said:

I understand!

I don't understand, df?

The spread = the betting line.  I assume you've heard people say things like "The Falcons are favored by 6 over the Ravens".  The 6 is the betting line.  It attempts to make an uneven game more even from a betting perspective.  We include the spread in our contest so in the example above it wouldn't be enough for the Falcons to just win the game.  They'd have to win by at least 7 for you to get credit for a correct pick.

Confidence points means we are ranking the games.  Some games will be easier to pick than others.  You would give those games a higher level of confidence points.  Basically, confidence points go from 1 up to the number of games that week.  Each game is given a different number of confidence points.  So, the game you're most confident you're right about you'd give the highest number of confidence points for that week. The game you're second most confident about would get the second most points.  The points for the games you're correct about are added up to make up your score for that week. 

For the survival league, each week you pick one NFL team to win.  This is straight up, not against the spread.  You can only use a team once.  Since we're not picking against the spread, if we allowed you to use the same team over and over most people would make it to the end of the season not having been wrong once.  It wouldn't be much of a contest.  So you have to use a different NFL team each week to make it harder to be correct to the end of the season.

Setting Current Value
Group ID#: 33469
Group Password GEEKS
Confidence Points Yes
Spread Yes
Tiebreakers No
Start Week 1
Drop Scores No, use all weeks
Deadline 5 minutes before each game
Playoffs Yes

Survival  https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/register/joinprivategroup/

Group Settings

Setting Current Value
Group ID 22243
Group Password GEEKS
Start Week 1
Two Picks Required Never
Deadline Sunday at 1:00 PM EST
Number of Strikes 1 strike and you're eliminated
Playoffs

No

eta: It didn't give me a yes option for playoffs so I am unsure if I can change that later.  

11 minutes ago, Strike said:

The spread = the betting line.  I assume you've heard people say things like "The Falcons are favored by 6 over the Ravens".  The 6 is the betting line.  It attempts to make an uneven game more even from a betting perspective.  We include the spread in our contest so in the example above it wouldn't be enough for the Falcons to just win the game.  They'd have to win by at least 7 for you to get credit for a correct pick.

Confidence points means we are ranking the games.  Some games will be easier to pick than others.  You would give those games a higher level of confidence points.  Basically, confidence points go from 1 up to the number of games that week.  Each game is given a different number of confidence points.  So, the game you're most confident you're right about you'd give the highest number of confidence points for that week. The game you're second most confident about would get the second most points.  The points for the games you're correct about are added up to make up your score for that week. 

For the survival league, each week you pick one NFL team to win.  This is straight up, not against the spread.  You can only use a team once.  Since we're not picking against the spread, if we allowed you to use the same team over and over most people would make it to the end of the season not having been wrong once.  It wouldn't be much of a contest.  So you have to use a different NFL team each week to make it harder to be correct to the end of the season.

Thanks.  You did a much better job explaining it than me.

🤷🏾‍♀️

Still confused. I'll just play and lose and learn for next time.

58 minutes ago, peenie said:

🤷🏾‍♀️

If you ask specific questions we can try to answer them.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, peenie said:

🤷🏾‍♀️

With Pick 'em, you go through and pick the team you think will win each matchup. Then you go through and say "this team is really good and they're playing at home against this awful team. This is the team I'm most sure will win this week" and you give that matchup a 16. Then you do the second most confident team you are sure will win and give that team a 15. You use each number once 14, 13, 12... etc.  On the far end of that, you're looking at two teams that are evenly matched. "I've no idea who will win, could go either way." Well, in that case, you pick one and you give that team a 1. This here matchup is just as bad as the other one. I dunno.... pick a team and give it a 2.

With Survival, you only pick one game, but you can only pick each team once per season. So whatever team you use in week one will be greyed-out as unavailable in week two. Then, both the week one and the week two team will be greyed out come week three. A good method might be to follow the Dolphins and the Redskins all year, picking their opponent. Then, when they are playing another crappy team and you fell they may actually win, go check out who the Rams, Patriots, and Saints are playing that week as an emergency safety valve.

8 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

With Pick 'em, you go through and pick the team you think will win each matchup. Then you go through and say "this team is really good and they're playing at home against this awful team. This is the team I'm most sure will win this week" and you give that matchup a 16. Then you do the second most confident team you are sure will win and give that team a 15. You use each number once 14, 13, 12... etc.  On the far end of that, you're looking at two teams that are evenly matched. "I've no idea who will win, could go either way." Well, in that case, you pick one and you give that team a 1. This here matchup is just as bad as the other one. I dunno.... pick a team and give it a 2.

Normally yes but this is set up as spread and confidence so it can't be played the same way.

9 minutes ago, nzoner said:

Normally yes but this is set up as spread and confidence so it can't be played the same way.

Are you sure? I was just in there and I didn't see any point spread info. 

I have Pick'em set up using the spread and confidence points.  If you don't like that chime in and I can change it before week 1.  It doesn't really matter to me, just makes it more challenging.

1 minute ago, Voltaire said:

Are you sure? I was just in there and I didn't see any point spread info. 

yes,click on the settings

Just now, fandandy said:

I have Pick'em set up using the spread and confidence points.  If you don't like that chime and I can change it before week 1.  It doesn't really matter to me, just makes it more challenging.

I vote keep it,definitely more challenging

Just now, nzoner said:

I vote keep it,definitely more challenging

I also changed the Survival league to continue through playoffs.  Hopefully, Jerry plays this year.  I'm rooting that he can make it past week 1.  You can do it, Skids!

17 hours ago, fandandy said:
Setting Current Value
Group ID#: 33469
Group Password GEEKS
Confidence Points Yes
Spread Yes
Tiebreakers No
Start Week 1
Drop Scores No, use all weeks
Deadline 5 minutes before each game
Playoffs Yes

Survival  https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/register/joinprivategroup/

Group Settings

Setting Current Value
Group ID 22243
Group Password GEEKS
Start Week 1
Two Picks Required Never
Deadline Sunday at 1:00 PM EST
Number of Strikes 1 strike and you're eliminated
Playoffs

No

eta: It didn't give me a yes option for playoffs so I am unsure if I can change that later.  

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

Link yet?

Keep the spreads. Picking NFL games straight up is dumb and boring. 

• Like 2

fwiw...not sure I like the spread and confidence pts, should be one or the other.  I think both makes it more lucky.  

I plugged in my whole slate of confidence picks when I signed up, but having been given the heads up to look for point spreads, I'm prepared to check again as we get closer and re-do the whole thing.