Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Zeke and the 6th pick

Alright, I am a Cowboy homer and have preaching he will sign before game 1. Now I am having my doubts and am drafting on Labor Day.  If he hasn't signed and is available at the 6th pick do I roll with him? I have been telling myself yes but now am beginning to waiver. Any thoughts?

I don't see any reason to draft him in the first round. Avoid the risk, you will be much happier if you do. Zeke is good, but there are plenty of other good players out there

• Like 1

While Zeke has tremendous upside, I just don't think you can justify spending a first round pick on someone who's at real risk of missing 10 (or more, if he really digs in his heels) games.

You're not going to win your league with your first pick, but you sure as hell can lose it.

You have two choices as I see it: 1) Avoid the headache and take Hopkins, DJ, or someone else. 2) Draft Zeke and be prepared to spend a 6th round pick on Pollard.

8 minutes ago, jrokh said:

You have two choices as I see it: 1) Avoid the headache and take Hopkins, DJ, or someone else. 2) Draft Zeke and be prepared to spend a 6th round pick on Pollard.

That is what I was thinking. Maybe if I pass on him, he would be available in the 2nd round. I think I would pull the trigger there.

No he’s not and shouldn’t be and won’t be a first rounder.  

3 minutes ago, BobSanders_33 said:

Zeke is the real #1 rb in fantasy football.  Someone will take him in the first and hedge with Pollard in the 7th.  

I agree.  I have yet to see a draft where he has slipped more than just a couple of spots.  Mock drafts are one thing, but in money drafts, people are making excuses to take him in the early 1st still.  I have more drafting to do this weekend and I already know one of the guys with an early pick will choose Zeke.  It's a $200 buy-in and Zeke will go top 5.  I'm not taking him in the top ten and not likely in the 1st round at all. 

I also don't believe you lose a league based on one pick, regardless of it being in the 1st or the 2nd.  I've lost my 1st rounder to injury many times over the years.  It happens.  If you draft well enough, you will be just fine.  You should always have the handcuff to your 1st rounder anyway.  So, I see the point some owners make with Zeke.  If he misses a few games, so what?  If he misses 10 of them, he will be fresh for the playoffs.  You treat it like you would if you're 1st rounder tore his ACL.  He's out.  Move on.  In this case though, you know he will be back by week 10 and you could have a monster for the fantasy playoffs.  If you can't make at least a playoff run simply because you lost your first rounder, you drafted very poorly. 

I took him 5th overall last Friday and I don't have too many concerns.  Was able to grab Pollard and have other RBs to cover for him in case  As long as I'm in playoff contention I'll be in good position for a championship.

• Like 1

dude is a train wreck off the field.

He will get more endorsements in Dallas than he would anywhere else.  I have no idea why he would even entertain the idea of leaving.

a larger salary in another market is generally worth less than a smaller salary in Dallas just because of the endorsements.

Not to mention he would be running behind an inferior line if he moved to another team.

Dude is an idiot to even entertain leaving.

You draft zeke and someone else picks up Pollard, your screwed.

you may not make the playoffs so zeke would be of no value when he comes back.

1 minute ago, justforbeer said:

You draft zeke and someone else picks up Pollard, your screwed.

you may not make the playoffs so zeke would be of no value when he comes back.

If you are somewhat competent at managing a team during the season it doesn't have to be that hard.  Just have to pay close attention to waivers during the season. 

I'm debating it.  I feel like Jerrah is doing a lot of posturing while Stephen Jones says he feels good about getting a deal done.  I think this is clown face just wanting even more attention while behind the scenes Dallas is working toward an agreement.

If you draft the Zeke in the first round, and back it up with Pollard you just lost.  

You passed up on a true first round pick who’s playing.

Im passing. 

Thanks. 

Had Dallas' schedule started out tougher, I'd say take him anywhere you want, be it #1, #4, or where ever because they'd be 0-2 to start the season and he'd be on the field in Game 3.  But, with the Giants, Redskins, and Miami being their first 3 games... they'll probably win at least 2 or even all 3 of those games.  That said, they'll go 0-4 after that in games vs the Saints, then @ GB, @ NYJ, & vs Philly.  Fortunately, they'll have a bye week in Week 8.  So when they sign Elliott, he'll have the bye week to get ready.  Essentially, he'll be the opposite of Nick Chubb.

With this situation I switch gears and dont worry about Zeke.  I just make sure I get Pollard.  

6th round that you guys are claiming could be a steal.  He has "potential" to be top 7 back over the first 10 weeks.  

Why do you think Pollard could be a top seven rb over the first ten weeks? 

9 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

If you are somewhat competent at managing a team during the season it doesn't have to be that hard.  Just have to pay close attention to waivers during the season.  

What are you saying?

If you draft Zeke with your first pick and he does not play the first 8 weeks and you also do not have Pollard....what does the rest of your team look like.

You would be lucky to be 2-6 after the first 8 weeks.

It will be funny when Zeke gets a huge deal, bending the Cowboys over his knee, then Melvin comes looking and the Chargers laugh at him.

1 hour ago, tanatastic said:

It will be funny when Zeke gets a huge deal, bending the Cowboys over his knee, then Melvin comes looking and the Chargers laugh at him.

A record deal will be bad for Gordon owners.  Chargers refuse to pay more than 10, a record deal will widen the gap.

18 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I got Pollard in the 8th and I did not draft Zeke. I will consider it worth the price if I get two games out of him

Why, you can get 'two games' out of a bunch of dudes who aren't drafted. If Zeke signs by tomorrow, you may not even get one...

Ironically, this is bad news for someone hoping to get him at #6 as that may not be possible now

46 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Why, you can get 'two games' out of a bunch of dudes who aren't drafted. If Zeke signs by tomorrow, you may not even get one...

Two games of elite production is worth an 8th round pick imo. Middle round picks bust more often than they hit anyway. 

At this point I wouldn't count on even one game anywhere near "elite" production...

2 hours ago, Donkey said:

Ironically, this is bad news for someone hoping to get him at #6 as that may not be possible now

I agree!!!!!

On 8/30/2019 at 8:16 PM, justforbeer said:

What are you saying?

If you draft Zeke with your first pick and he does not play the first 8 weeks and you also do not have Pollard....what does the rest of your team look like.

You would be lucky to be 2-6 after the first 8 weeks.

I certainly puts you in a hole but if you drafted a lot of high upside players it's possible you may have a replacement on your roster already.  Paying attention to waivers will also be very important.  Having some good luck will help a great deal as well.

I didn't say it would be easy but it can be done.

Pollard was being drafted AFTER all the other RB's were off the board this weekend, likely due to the above news.  You could have him in the 11th/12th round of money drafts.  Zeke didn't slide in the drafts this weekend either.  I'd trade that idiot.  With the Cowboys signing Collins to the extension, 4 of their 5 offensive linemen are under contract for at least the next 4 seasons and they drafted McGovern to take over at Guard as well.  This line will be together for quite some time, and while Zeke is a stud, he also has the benefit of running behind a top 3 offensive line.  He isn't getting the money he wants anywhere else.  They should trade him to Miami for a case of Gatorade. 

I drafted Zeke 4th overall on Sunday with all the talk of his imminent signing.  I'm still confident he will sign soon (why else would he fly out if they weren't on the cusp of a deal) but right now I have brieda in for him so I feel ok if he misses the week.  If he signs then now I have to decide between brieda and Lockett at the flex spot

Lockett