Sign in to follow this  
rwren

Auction Newbie Need help

We are switching to auction for the first time and I'm wondering if some of our current rules are relevant and if so, how best to police them. For example, we have always had minimum and maximum position limits.  In other words, in the snake draft, you were forced to draft a defense and/or kicker. 

My question, is it just better to not have any limits and let people draft until their money runs out (without exceeding the roster max of course) or stick to our current rules? If we stick with them, how do you police this, specifically the minimum position requirement? I can see a situation where a guy has a dollar left, but hasn't drafted a defense or a tight end. 

I've always preferred not having any roster limits.  My auction league often has multiple teams that didn't draft a K or DST.  I won't pick up a my K unit next week sometime.

Draft whoever they want, as long as they can start a full line up for week one. After the draft my league adds another 10% to salary cap for free agent pick ups. If you dont use all your dollars during the draft, you still have that remainder plus the additional dollars. Been working nice for us for years.

But yeah, wouldn't hurt to force a starting line up during the draft.

My league forces you to get at least one player for each roster spot.  

so if you have filled out all your roster spots except for your defense, and TE and one bench spot,   and you have 30 dollars and are bidding on (let's say Joe Mixon)   your max bid is $28 because we know you still Must fill out your 2 remaining roster spots if you win the bid. 

I dont know if this helps you, but that's how my league works.  for the most part it works ok.

9 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

My league forces you to get at least one player for each roster spot.  

so if you have filled out all your roster spots except for your defense, and TE and one bench spot,   and you have 30 dollars and are bidding on (let's say Joe Mixon)   your max bid is $28 because we know you still Must fill out your 2 remaining roster spots if you win the bid. 

I dont know if this helps you, but that's how my league works.  for the most part it works ok.

This.  Owners should self track money spent as well as the commish, ideally with an excel spreadsheet calculating money remaining so people can't overbid and meet the requirement of remaining draft picks.  I.e if player has 30 and 4 spots to fill their max bid would be 27.  30total - 27max bid = 3 dollars left to pay at least 1 dollar for the 3 remaining positions.

So until you guys get the nuances, I would suggest just keeping the same rules to minimize confusion.  So you absolutely can require that at least one of each position is required.  You may have several that just spend $1 on a kicker and $1 on a defense and that's fine.

Best advice I can give would be to do some mock auctions on Yahoo or ESPN to get the hang of budgeting and team construction.

We have roster limits. Why wouldn’t you require a K or DEF in an auction draft just as you might in a snake draft? To me the format is irrelevant.

25 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

We have roster limits. Why wouldn’t you require a K or DEF in an auction draft just as you might in a snake draft? To me the format is irrelevant.

I wouldn't require roster limits no matter what format I'm drafting but that's just me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I wouldn't require roster limits no matter what format I'm drafting but that's just me.

Well sure but my point is you want em or you don’t. Doesn’t matter if it’s auction or snake 

14 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Well sure but my point is you want em or you don’t. Doesn’t matter if it’s auction or snake 

Running an auction can make it a little harder to keep track of who everyone has compared to a snake in my opinion.  Unless the draft is online or the auctioneer has a spreadsheet that they are filling in and projecting on a screen then it's hard for everyone to keep track.

18 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Running an auction can make it a little harder to keep track of who everyone has compared to a snake in my opinion.  Unless the draft is online or the auctioneer has a spreadsheet that they are filling in and projecting on a screen then it's hard for everyone to keep track.

generally the commish keeps track of who has what, but the players are also told to keep track of who they have and what they paid.

if the commish has questions he will ask for your notes on who you bought as well.

Usually we have one or two beer breaks where the commish will verify all the purchases and make sure the dollar amounts are correct.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

generally the commish keeps track of who has what, but the players are also told to keep track of who they have and what they paid.

if the commish has questions he will ask for your notes on who you bought as well.

Usually we have one or two beer breaks where the commish will verify all the purchases and make sure the dollar amounts are correct.

There’s an element of self policing and honesty as well. If someone breaks the rules their last non K or DEF drafted is cut.

I’m not trying to be a D, but do you guys still do offline drafts? 

Im 40, not a fooking millennial...  but as Commish, went online 5 years ago... so much more efficient, so less work. We still have draft parties, so that doesn’t change.

Im just surprised any of this is an issue.