Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Carlos Hyde traded to Texans

I wouldn’t be so quick to grab Hyde but I definitely knock down Duke Johnson in my rankings. I can see a 50/50 split at some point if he stays on the team.

Think they will be giving the Duke a shot at the lead roll. 

15 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Agreed....and I consider this Hyde acquisition a net-plus for The Duke, as opposed to a big-name RB added by the Texans.

Hyde adds veteran depth, but showed last year in both Cleveland and Jacksonville (not to mention this preseason in KC) that he is likely no longer starter material.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

They might.   but remember the Duke has had some major concussion issues.   This is the reason why they wouldnt run him between the tackles on his old team.

Talented he may be, but once you have had major concussions it is so much easier to get another.   It may be prudent to restrict his usage somewhat.   At best I see the duke as a 1A type RB where another RB (likely a between the tackles bruiser) would play as well.

I have studied this situation (concussions) in a fair amount of detail, and I'm worried for him if they give him the lead dog role.   Concussions have a cumulative effect on the brain.   so a grade 2 concussion will affect you one way if you have never had one before.   but if you have had a few concussions as he has, it can affect you in a far more serious way.

from this perspective, I do not think it is prudent or reasonable to expect him to get much more than 50% of the touches in this offense.

Hes talented enough.   but I dont think his concussion situation makes this a reasonable expectation.

6 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

They might.   but remember the Duke has had some major concussion issues.   This is the reason why they wouldnt run him between the tackles on his old team.

Perhaps we differ on the definition of one having had "major concussion issues", but my research indicates that he has had one concussion during his collegiate and NFL career, and that was August 29, 2015.

He also has never missed an NFL game, to my knowledge.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/duke-johnson/7249

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Watson just shot up my board. He might be worth a 4th round pick now.

Parker just shot up mine....

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Talented he may be, but once you have had major concussions it is so much easier to get another.   It may be prudent to restrict his usage somewhat.   At best I see the duke as a 1A type RB where another RB (likely a between the tackles bruiser) would play as well.

I have studied this situation (concussions) in a fair amount of detail, and I'm worried for him if they give him the lead dog role.   Concussions have a cumulative effect on the brain.   so a grade 2 concussion will affect you one way if you have never had one before.   but if you have had a few concussions as he has, it can affect you in a far more serious way.

from this perspective, I do not think it is prudent or reasonable to expect him to get much more than 50% of the touches in this offense.

Hes talented enough.   but I dont think his concussion situation makes this a reasonable expectation.

Great points Ray thanks, but I don’t don’t see another Texans rb that he will be splitting with. 

I think he will get a bigger load then just a 50/50 split.  

Now maybe not much more, but more neither less. 

Hyde is worst then I thought he was. 

Not so sure what the Hyde pickup says how the Texans feel about mr Crockett.  

3 hours ago, stonewall said:

Agreed....and I consider this Hyde acquisition a net-plus for The Duke, as opposed to a big-name RB added by the Texans.

Hyde adds veteran depth, but showed last year in both Cleveland and Jacksonville (not to mention this preseason in KC) that he is likely no longer starter material.

Hyde is diffently worst at this stage of his career then I thought he was. 

If they had sign McCoy, I think that would have been a 50/50 split situation, atleast more so then with Hyde. 

The Hyde pickup makes me think they just need more depth with only the young Mr Crockett behind The Duke. 

5 minutes ago, weepaws said:

The Hyde pickup makes me think they just need more depth with only the young Mr Crockett behind The Duke. 

Crockett got cut...

10 hours ago, stonewall said:

FWIW, Hyde played his games last year with Tyrod and Bortles lol those offenses were putrid.

5 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

FWIW, Hyde played his games last year with Tyrod and Bortles lol those offenses were putrid.

FWIW, in 5 years (entering 6th year) Hyde has never had a 1k rushing season. This move adds depth, nothing more. 

2 minutes ago, JediMaster said:

FWIW, in 5 years (entering 6th year) Hyde has never had a 1k rushing season. This move adds depth, nothing more. 

In 4 years Duke Johnson has never rushed for over 400 yards. What is your point?

and as bad as Hyde has been the Texans traded for him before he was waived/released.

4 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

In 4 years Duke Johnson has never rushed for over 400 yards. What is your point?

and as bad as Hyde has been the Texans traded for him before he was waived/released.

My point is that Hyde is not magically going to be a stud RB. They only got him because Miller went down. Depth move.

11 hours ago, stonewall said:

Crockett got cut...

Now I can't use "Damarea Cha Cha Cha" as a team name :mad:

5 minutes ago, JediMaster said:

My point is that Hyde is not magically going to be a stud RB. They only got him because Miller went down. Depth move.

It won't be by magic, no; it will be by hard work, sweat, and diligence.

And I don't think anyone's suggesting that he will be a top 5 RB, but Miller was good for 1136 and 6 last year even missing 2 games, so I would pencil in Hyde for about 950-1000 yards and 6-7 TDs; basically low-end RB2 in the top 25 or so (maybe a little lower in PPR).

17 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

It won't be by magic, no; it will be by hard work, sweat, and diligence.

And I don't think anyone's suggesting that he will be a top 5 RB, but Miller was good for 1136 and 6 last year even missing 2 games, so I would pencil in Hyde for about 950-1000 yards and 6-7 TDs; basically low-end RB2 in the top 25 or so (maybe a little lower in PPR).

I'll take the under.... way under...

Just now, jrokh said:

I'll take the under.... way under...

Lots of other people will probly make that error, too, so at least you're not alone.

39 minutes ago, JediMaster said:

I never said he would be but to argue that it’s a positive for Duke seems off. Hyde will get a bunch of carries. Duke isn’t as sexy as he was a week ago when Miller went down.

22 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Lots of other people will probly make that error, too, so at least you're not alone.

So Carlos Hyde who is on his 4th team in less than a year, and who has never rushed  for 1000 yards even once in his NFL career is going to do so now because you declare it to be? You're whistling Dixie bruh...

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

So Carlos Hyde who is on his 4th team in less than a year, and who has never rushed  for 1000 yards even once in his NFL career is going to do so now because you declare it to be? You're whistling Dixie bruh...

Through September of last year, Carlos Hyde was the #6 RB (standard scoring) for Cleveland (with Duke Johnson also on the team, by the way).

Hyde is in the best offense now that he has ever been in (his two QBs last year were Tyrod Taylor and Blake Bortles), and he's at least good for falling in the end zone every time that offense gets inside the 5.

And I didn't say he would exceed 1000 yards, I predicted 950-1000.

Way to hedge. I will remind you of your claim many times this year, no worries there Axe Elf Impersonator...

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Way to hedge. I will remind you of your claim many times this year, no worries there Axe Elf Impersonator...

Hedge?  I just repeated what I said before... 950-1000 yards and 6-7 TDs.

23 hours ago, LoOnAtIk said:

Hyde was traded for another guy that was going to get cut. Duke was traded for what may very well be 3rd round pick (4th at min). BIG difference. Hyde is a veteran body behind Duke. Nothing more. 

Hyde is a guy that has a lot of wear and tear, and they can ride until the wheels fall off... i don't think that Johnson and his 5'9" 200 pound frame can carry the full load. I think Johnson leads the way, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyde consistently get 10+ carries a game... and more if he is the hot hand that day + goalline carries. My only beef with Hyde is he has declined in YPC his last 3 years... with a paltry 3.4 and 3.3 in his last 2 seasons, even if he returned to 3.6ish and averaged 12 carries a game, still looking at sub 700 yards. To me, he's a low end TD dependent flex, which could grow if Johnson misses time.

5 minutes ago, rallo said:

i don't think that Johnson and his 5'9" 200 pound frame can carry the full load. 

Misconception. He is listed by ESPN and NFL.com at 210 lbs....which is about the median for NFL RB's

5 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Misconception. He is listed by ESPN and NFL.com at 210 lbs....which is about the median for NFL RB's

Hyde is 6' and 236 (even bigger than Lamar Miller at 5'10" and 225).

You can expect Hyde to get approximately the touches that Miller had last season (235, although Miller missed two games) while Johnson gets approximately the touches vacated by Alfred Blue (170).

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Hyde is 6' and 236 (even bigger than Lamar Miller at 5'10" and 225).

You can expect Hyde to get approximately the touches that Miller had last season (235, although Miller missed two games) while Johnson gets approximately the touches vacated by Alfred Blue (170).

As you know, I expect The Duke to have a better FF season than most.

However, I am currently only correcting common misconceptions about him.....mainly that he is undersized (he in't), and that he has a lengthy injury history, specifically concussions (Has never missed an NFL game and had only one diagnosed concussion back in August of 2015).

Of course injuries are hard to accurately predict but, admittedly, Sports Injury Predictor has him with a 42.9& chance of injury this season. Fortunately, there are 60 other RB's given a greater chance of injury this year, including Hyde with 57.7% chance.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/rankings?InjuryPredictorRankingsForm[position]=RB

1 minute ago, stonewall said:

As you know, I expect The Duke to have a better FF season than most.

However, I am currently only correcting common misconceptions about him.....mainly that he is undersized (he in't), and that he has a lengthy injury history, specifically concussions (Has never missed an NFL game and had only one diagnosed concussion back in August of 2015).

Of course injuries are hard to accurately predict but, admittedly, Sports Injury Predictor has him with a 42.9& chance of injury this season. Fortunately, there are 60 other RB's given a greater chance of injury this year, including Hyde with 57.7% chance.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/rankings?InjuryPredictorRankingsForm[position]=RB

In most cases, injuries are just too difficult to predict to factor them into your expectations for a player.  Even Axe Elf can't predict injuries.

There are a few, like Jordan Reed who gets concussed every time he puts on his helmet, where it makes sense to temper your expectations based on the likelihood of injury, but for most guys, you have to project their production based on remaining healthy, and hope for the best.

Even that sports injury predictor...  60 RBs (basically all of them) have about a 50/50 chance of being injured this year?  Is that useful information?

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Is that useful information?

Part of it.

Specifically, the part where I dispel fallacies about The Duke's size and injury history.

Just now, stonewall said:

Part of it.

Specifically, the part where I dispel fallacies about The Duke's size and injury history.

I was talking about the information from the Sports Injury Predictor, not your information.

Just now, AxeElf said:

I was talking about the information from the Sports Injury Predictor, not your information.

That's where I got it. You just click on an individual players name from that link to see full collegiate and NFL injury history. I find it to be quite useful.

1 minute ago, stonewall said:

That's where I got it. You just click on an individual players name from that link to see full collegiate and NFL injury history. I find it to be quite useful.

I dunno, I just don't think that a site telling you that every RB has approximately a 50/50 chance of being injured this year tells me anything I didn't already know.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I dunno, I just don't think that a site telling you that every RB has approximately a 50/50 chance of being injured this year tells me anything I didn't already know.

You aren't hearing me....or are and are choosing to ignore. But, if you actually knew the accurate injury history for The Duke, then hat's off to you, sir.

4 hours ago, rallo said:

Hyde is a guy that has a lot of wear and tear, and they can ride until the wheels fall off... i don't think that Johnson and his 5'9" 200 pound frame can carry the full load. I think Johnson leads the way, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyde consistently get 10+ carries a game... and more if he is the hot hand that day + goalline carries. My only beef with Hyde is he has declined in YPC his last 3 years... with a paltry 3.4 and 3.3 in his last 2 seasons, even if he returned to 3.6ish and averaged 12 carries a game, still looking at sub 700 yards. To me, he's a low end TD dependent flex, which could grow if Johnson misses time.

If I own Duke, and Hyde is getting just ten att a game, I’m very very pleased with that. 

Everone needs a breather. 

4 hours ago, stonewall said:

I’m pretty sure E Smith was that some size, now I’m not making any comparison based on talent.