NPNG

What's the thoughts on David Montgomery?

Got Montgomery and Michel as my 2 and 3 RB's behind Zeke in an auction yesterday.  Does Montgomery have enough opportunity to be a borderline #1/great #2 with Cohen and Davis hanging around?  The guy doesn't go down after 1st contact (saw every game he played at ISU) and it sounds like the coaching staff loves him.  What say you?

It all depends on his volume, but I'm betting on it.  I certainly don't see Mike Davis as a threat.

I have him pegged as a top-5 RB by season's end....so, yeah, I think you will be pretty happy.

Need to cuff Mike Davis though.

I'm skeptical on Montgomery, currently the 19th RB selected.

I've never seen him play, but on the surface... a mid-3rd round NFL draft pick out of mighty Iowa State, who left a year early.  With a proven Tarik Cohen stealing receptions/carries, and Mike Davis... Montgomery is being drafted near his ceiling IMO.

I think he is going to produce, but I don’t see rb1 numbers. 

I do think Davis is going to contribute and so is Cohen. 

Upside I see a rb2 , but not every week, see it more based on game situations. 

If they need to pass a lot the Bears aren’t going to leave a talent in the open field like Cohen on the bench, and the goalline work I think will be a RBBC with Davis.  

I think you can survive before Elliot gets back. I think he needs the Cowboys more than they need him. I can not see any team in NFL  giving him more up front money. He just acts up too much. 

Just now, lowman said:

I think you can survive before Elliot gets back. I think he needs the Cowboys more than they need him. I can not see any team in NFL  giving him more up front money. He just acts up too much. 

Zeke ain’t doing sh1t. These guys that holdout get injured immediately even if they come back at some point. That’s what happens with no training camp

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

Montgomery is being drafted near his ceiling IMO.

I think he's being drafted above it.

Serious three-way split in Chicago, and Montgomery is being drafted as a bellcow.  I wouldn't be surprised if he and Carlos Hyde finish with approximately the same fantasy points.

51 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I think he's being drafted above it.

Serious three-way split in Chicago, and Montgomery is being drafted as a bellcow.  I wouldn't be surprised if he and Carlos Hyde finish with approximately the same fantasy points.

I don't see it that way at all. I'd be shocked if him and Carlos Hyde finished with the same number of points. It's really more of a gut feeling but I think Montgomery gets way more touches than you and others are anticipating and I think he does more with those touches.

A bell cow back would be drafted in the 2nd.  He's being drafted late 3rs/early 4th.

No one knows but he’s looked great in camp and also preseason.  For a round 3/4 guy, he’s worth the risk.  And we know Injuries will happen...could work in his favor or against him.

1 hour ago, TwentyFourSeven said:

I don't see it that way at all. I'd be shocked if him and Carlos Hyde finished with the same number of points. It's really more of a gut feeling but I think Montgomery gets way more touches than you and others are anticipating and I think he does more with those touches.

At least you acknowledge that it's just a gut feeling and there's really no rationale for it.

I love him, and I bet they are going to want to show him off Thursday night. The whole reason they got him, was to not tip their hand when Cowen lines up. I suspect Cowen will be on the field in the slot, when Monty is out there. I am super high on him. Started out with Cook, then Mixon and got Monty early 4th...  

Just now, snatchit said:

Usually the haters on these threads, are from people that got sniped

If you graduate to auction drafts, you'll never have to worry about being sniped on your most important targets ever again!

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

If you graduate to auction drafts, you'll never have to worry about being sniped on your most important targets ever again!

been playing for 30 years... hate auctions. Just my opinion 

52 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

At least you acknowledge that it's just a gut feeling and there's really no rationale for it.

What makes you think it'll be a 3 way split? Asking in case I missed some kind of quote or something.

7 minutes ago, TwentyFourSeven said:

What makes you think it'll be a 3 way split? Asking in case I missed some kind of quote or something.

no one is saying that

I wanted him as my RB3 but he was taken right before so I settled on Jacobs.  I actually think I might be better off with Jacobs but I still have a feeling about Montgomery. We’ll see what happens.  

Just now, TwentyFourSeven said:

No one on the bears coaching staff? Or on this board?

lol, doesnt matter what the board is saying. The coaching staff, beat writers ect

I think he will be fine

Just now, snatchit said:

lol, doesnt matter what the board is saying. The coaching staff, beat writers ect

I think he will be fine

we will know soon enough Thursday, cant wait !

38 minutes ago, TwentyFourSeven said:

Only one RB has ever rushed for over 1000 yards in a Matt Nagy offense.  They have a RB who's caught 124 passes out of the backfield in his first two seasons.  They have a veteran bowling ball RB for short yardage and goalline work.  And they have a rookie.

Put the pieces together, and you get a 3-headed monster backfield that works great in the NFL, but which is frustrating for fantasy owners.

48 minutes ago, TwentyFourSeven said:

It helps his argument that's what makes him think it.

If he can stay healthy, the next David Johnson....third rounder and everything.

1 minute ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

250 carries and 50 receptions.

What he does with it is anyone’s guess.

If he gets that many touches he will be an absolute steal where he is going.

I also don't get the Davis as being a goal line back stuff.  Montgomery is the biggest back on the roster.

6 minutes ago, snatchit said:

Naggy thinks he is his new Kareem Hunt... 

Wife beater with a 10 game suspension ?

1 hour ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

250 carries and 50 receptions.

What he does with it is anyone’s guess.

300 touches pretty much answers the question :doh:

The man was a tackle-breaking machine the last 2 years.  He's special.  I think his floor (barring injury) is 225 touches.  That's probably 1000 yards and 6-8 TD's.

1 hour ago, shorepatrol said:

Wife beater with a 10 game suspension ?

Easy.  

She was just his girlfriend.

So is the key with him not meeting his value v ADP about Davis?  B/c Howard last year finished 18th in standard scoring  So if he fills Howard's role then it's a potential push ADP v production, but if Davis is expected to be regularly involved then yes would reduce Montgomery's production.  And please before ppl get on their high horse of however they fall on this, I'm...wait for it...honestly asking the question.

I honestly see Montgomery at 14-18 touches/game.  Cohen may be on the field on 3rd downs in the slot with Montgomery in the backfield on many occasions.  Davis appears to be insurance in case Montgomery is injured or the game is too fast for him out of the gates.