NPNG

What's the thoughts on David Montgomery?

1 hour ago, stonewall said:

Unfortunately, then, we will not be able to come to terms on either.

However, I would still be willing to stick my neck out and place a simple 25$ wager on DMont being a top-12 FF RB after 16 games, regardless of how Hyde does....heck, I'll even go non-ppr. I must, though, have the full 16 games, because I believe that, as a rookie, he will get increased burn as the year progresses and he takes complete control of that backfield. An injury would negate the bet, resulting in a push. 

Seem equitable?

I axually think standard scoring gives you an edge in this wager, because there are a LOT of RBs who will catch a LOT more passes than Montgomery, meaning that he has a better shot at creeping into the top 12 in standard scoring than he would in PPR.

But you're reciprocating by increasing the odds of a push with the stipulation that any injury nullifies the bet, so I'll let you have the standard scoring advantage.

That said, the nullifying injury has to result in an actual "OUT" designation on the pregame injury report for at least one game--no mealymouthed "well, he was playing through sore ribs for four weeks, so the bet is off" nonsense, or you pulling the ripcord because he sits out a fourth quarter with the stomach flu or some such.  If he starts all 16 games, the bet is on.

Deal?

On 9/1/2019 at 10:01 PM, NPNG said:

The man was a tackle-breaking machine the last 2 years.  He's special.  I think his floor (barring injury) is 225 touches.  That's probably 1000 yards and 6-8 TD's.

A tackle breaking machine against big 12 defenses... he averaged 2.6 ypc against a good Hawkeyes D... 

6 minutes ago, rallo said:

A tackle breaking machine against big 12 defenses... he averaged 2.6 ypc against a good Hawkeyes D... 

I saw that game.  No blocking in front of him.  Chicago is a different story.

6 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I axually think standard scoring gives you an edge in this wager, because there are a LOT of RBs who will catch a LOT more passes than Montgomery, meaning that he has a better shot at creeping into the top 12 in standard scoring than he would in PPR.

But you're reciprocating by increasing the odds of a push with the stipulation that any injury nullifies the bet, so I'll let you have the standard scoring advantage.

That said, the nullifying injury has to result in an actual "OUT" designation on the pregame injury report for at least one game--no mealymouthed "well, he was playing through sore ribs for four weeks, so the bet is off" nonsense, or you pulling the ripcord because he sits out a fourth quarter with the stomach flu or some such.  If he starts all 16 games, the bet is on.

Deal?

Deal. Those are acceptable terms.

Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rallo said:

As a Hawkeye fan I was worried going up against Montgomery.  I knew what he was capable of but the D did their job well.  Montgomery has a much, much better supporting cast around him now.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I am starting to get a 2018 Royce Freeman kinda vibe from this thread.

That would be a very apt analogy, with the same result likely.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

As a Hawkeye fan I was worried going up against Montgomery.  I knew what he was capable of but the D did their job well.  Montgomery has a much, much better supporting cast around him now.

As a hawkeye fan myself, I was surprised Akrum Wadley went undrafted last year, while David Montgomery was drafted in the 3rd round this year.

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

This was my favorite part:

Does the person starting the game really matter all that much at the end of the game though?  Cohen starting has zero bearing on my expectations for Montgomery.

14 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Does the person starting the game really matter all that much at the end of the game though?  Cohen starting has zero bearing on my expectations for Montgomery.

Depth chart can also just be a status thing. For example Frank Gore is atop the Bills Depth Chart, but Singletary is the guy you want, Jordan Howard also is over Sanders.

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Depth chart can also just be a status thing. For example Frank Gore is atop the Bills Depth Chart, but Singletary is the guy you want, Jordan Howard also is over Sanders.

Yep.  It also has to do with the first set of designed plays they have to start the game.  It has nothing to do with playing time for the rest of the game or the season.  I would think a football veteran like AxeElf would know this already.

6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Teams usually start their best players, they are trying to win afterall.

The starting RB will completely depend on what the plays are going to be for the first series.  It's very possible that Cohen goes in for the first play because it's a design pass play for him.  Montgomery could be in the very next play.  It really doesn't make that big of a difference for the RB position.

The WR4 could be starting the game cause the first play is has a 4 WR set but that means absolutely nothing for how much playing time that WR4 is going to get the rest of the game.

If we were talking about the positions of QB, OL, DL, LB then we'd have a different discussion.

19 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Teams usually start their best players, they are trying to win afterall.

A lot of teams want their rookies to earn their playing time, especially in the area of Pass-Pro

Wow, welcome to Rationalization City!

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Yep.  It also has to do with the first set of designed plays they have to start the game.  It has nothing to do with playing time for the rest of the game or the season. 

59 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The starting RB will completely depend on what the plays are going to be for the first series.  It's very possible that Cohen goes in for the first play because it's a design pass play for him.  Montgomery could be in the very next play.  It really doesn't make that big of a difference for the RB position.

The WR4 could be starting the game cause the first play is has a 4 WR set but that means absolutely nothing for how much playing time that WR4 is going to get the rest of the game.

If we were talking about the positions of QB, OL, DL, LB then we'd have a different discussion.

I guess I should be loading up on shares of Jake Kumerow then.  Davante Adams is listed as the starter, but that probly means he's only going to be in for the first play and then take a seat in favor of Kumerow.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

Yeah, axually, Frank Gore IS the guy I want, at least until Singletary becomes the lead RB.

When David Montgomery becomes the starter for the Bears, he will probably become a more viable fantasy asset.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Wow, welcome to Rationalization City!

I guess I should be loading up on shares of Jake Kumerow then.  Davante Adams is listed as the starter, but that probly means he's only going to be in for the first play and then take a seat in favor of Kumerow.

Yeah, axually, Frank Gore IS the guy I want, at least until Singletary becomes the lead RB.

When David Montgomery becomes the starter for the Bears, he will probably become a more viable fantasy asset.

So, Cohen will be the leading rusher for this game and most likely the season because he's listed as the starter right now?

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

So, Cohen will be the leading rusher for this game and most likely the season because he's listed as the starter right now?

Singletary may overtake Gore on the depth chart at some point this season, just as Montgomery may overtake Cohen on the depth chart at some point this season.  I think it would be dangerous to draw conclusions for the entirety of the season from the opening day depth chart.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

Singletary may overtake Gore on the depth chart at some point this season, just as Montgomery may overtake Cohen on the depth chart at some point this season.  I think it would be dangerous to draw conclusions for the entirety of the season from the opening day depth chart.

And I think it doesn't make sense to worry about who's listed as the starting RB for one game, especially the Bears.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

And I think it doesn't make sense to worry about who's listed as the starting RB for one game, especially the Bears.

I would imagine that most Montgomery owners hope the same thing.

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I would imagine that most Montgomery owners hope the same thing.

It's why I drafted him.  If I thought different I wouldn't have drafted him then.

If Montgomery has a bad game tonight I'm still not going to worry.  My concerns won't start until after week 3 if he struggles for three games.  It's the NFL so I know anything can happen but my gut says he's going to be special.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It's why I drafted him.  If I thought different I wouldn't have drafted him then...my gut says he's going to be special.

Nothing like a good conflict of interest to cloud one's thinking.

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

How is it a conflict of interest when I had the same opinion before I drafted him.  If I was drafting right now I'd still take him where I did even after knowing the starting line up.  I don't know why you think the starting line up means much right now.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

How is it a conflict of interest when I had the same opinion before I drafted him.  If I was drafting right now I'd still take him where I did even after knowing the starting line up.  I don't know why you think the starting line up means much right now.

When you drafted him, you were probably drafting him on the expectation that he would become the lead RB for Chicago, so there was no conflict of interest.  Now that you are already invested in him, and you're faced with the new knowledge that Tarik Cohen is Chicago's lead RB on the depth chart, your vested interest clouds your ability to process what that means for David Montgomery's prospects.

Just now, AxeElf said:

When you drafted him, you were probably drafting him on the expectation that he would become the lead RB for Chicago, so there was no conflict of interest.  Now that you are already invested in him, and you're faced with the new knowledge that Tarik Cohen is Chicago's lead RB on the depth chart, your vested interest clouds your ability to process what that means for David Montgomery's prospects.

I still think Montgomery is their lead back.  That's the point I've been trying to make.  Cohen being listed as the starter means very little to me.  I know Cohen's role on this team and it's not as the lead back.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I still think Montgomery is their lead back.  That's the point I've been trying to make.  Cohen being listed as the starter means very little to me.  I know Cohen's role on this team and it's not as the lead back.

And that brings us back to...

13 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

On 9/4/2019 at 8:51 AM, stonewall said:

Deal. Those are acceptable terms.

You want my PayPal address now, or shall we let it ride for a few more weeks?

16 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You projected the Bears to score 23 points tonight.  You are awful!  Goes to show how much you know.

Just now, Skinny_Bastard said:

You projected the Bears to score 23 points tonight.  You are aweful!

Axe Elf is admittedly not much of a handicapper.

Axe Elf is, however, the world's foremost authority on fantasy football.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

This bet is almost a guaranteed push with the injury stipulations, no way both players play all 16 games.

And man, I did not expect tonight... I was bearish on Montgomery compared to many here, but I assumed he would be seeing at least 10-12 touches per game... with 190ish carries on the year... I'm not so sure he gets there, and his YPC could disappoint if the Bears line looks this bewildered all season.

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

So I faded Monty and bought Arob all over. What do I win? 

Most likely, herpes.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 2:10 PM, weepaws said:

Cohen will touch the ball less I agree with that, Montgomery can catch. 

And Montgomery should be able to hold his own in the redone. 

But, Cohen is great in space and he’ll get his fair share of work, and Davis is a good player who also will get his share of work. 

Im not saying Montgomery won’t post good numbers like said rb2, but we see the new nfl, if you have players use them, no need to over work him this season, and I don’t think the Bears will. 

This. 

8 minutes ago, rallo said:

This bet is almost a guaranteed push with the injury stipulations, no way both players play all 16 games.

Both players?  Who's the other player?

On 9/4/2019 at 12:03 AM, AxeElf said:

Deal?

Good stipulation negotiating. You don’t want him to get hurt on the first series and have it push the bet. 

4 minutes ago, stonewall said:

I actually liked what I saw tonight from DMont. ... even in very limited touches, DMont showed what he has to offer. The cream will eventually rise to the top imho.

In his limited touches, Montgomery averaged 3.0 yards per carry.  You LIKED that?  Davis averaged 3.8, and even Trubisky averaged 3.7.

Some would say that the cream is already on top...