NPNG

What's the thoughts on David Montgomery?

7 minutes ago, nobody said:

They don't throw him the ball for starters. 

6 targets the past 2 games. Cohen got 4.  That says a lot. 

58 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

A more elusive younger Jordan Howard with the ability to catch passes.

What's wrong with this?

52 minutes ago, nobody said:

They don't throw him the ball for starters.  

And he's not more elusive.

The Great David Montgomery decided to improve in his 2.5 ypc last week to 2.3 this week. Thanks for being such a great addition to the offense. 

Any day now Montgomery is going to break out... any day....

I can't believe they still only let him run that inside handoff from the shotgun.  It was all but one of his runs.

They lined him up as a full back and gave him a quick handoff when they were backed up on their own 1 yard line.  Then they went right back to the inside handoff from shotgun.  

You can see the whole d-line shift to take it away in running situations.  Way too predictable, and he never cuts it back either.  He just runs straight into the scrum.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nobody said:

I can't believe they still only let him run that inside handoff from the shotgun.  It was all but one of his runs.

They lined him up as a full back and gave him a quick handoff when they were backed up on their own 1 yard line.  Then they went right back to the inside handoff from shotgun.  

You can see the whole d-line shift to take it away in running situations.  Way too predictable, and he never cuts it back either.  He just runs straight into the scrum.

Nagy just isn't creative. Shotgun handoffs are not for guys like Montgomery, who isn't the quickest back. He works better when he has some momentum already going to the line. Nagy knows he likes to run this style of run game, and yet they drafted Montgomery knowing he isn't the fastest player. It's Jordan Howard who can catch better, maybe. Howard is a better pure runner imo. 

6 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Nagy just isn't creative. Shotgun handoffs are not for guys like Montgomery, who isn't the quickest back. He works better when he has some momentum already going to the line. Nagy knows he likes to run this style of run game, and yet they drafted Montgomery knowing he isn't the fastest player. It's Jordan Howard who can catch better, maybe. Howard is a better pure runner imo. 

I hope they're setting something up for later in the season because 80% of his runs are that exact same play.  The only thing that changes is the direction.  This is an NFL offense?  I watched 3 games and I can predict exactly what they're doing by personnel and formation, and I am by no means some NFL genius.

No wonder he can't get going.

8 minutes ago, nobody said:

I hope they're setting something up for later in the season because 80% of his runs are that exact same play.  The only thing that changes is the direction.  This is an NFL offense?  I watched 3 games and I can predict exactly what they're doing by personnel and formation, and I am by no means some NFL genius.

No wonder he can't get going.

It's not going to change. Nagy will be exposed eventually. This is such a boring offense that I was never really impressed with. 

Hang in there fellers. Yes, Nagy needs to get a little (lot) more creative, and that vaunted o-line needs to seriously gel and start getting some push..... but DMont is gonna get his sea-legs under him.

I'm still a believer in his talents so I'm not giving up on him.  I put most of the blame on the play calling and the worst OL I've seen the Bears have in years.  I can't start Montgomery until I see the Bears make some changes or I'm forced to start him because of bye weeks.

4 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Dude is just a younger Jordan Howard.  Nothing special.

I don't see many similarities between them.  Not sure why people keep saying this.

They are going to hate.

Issue is play calls....the shotgun handoffs up the middle are so vanilla.  Nagy is terrible.  Made a name for himself ridding Andy Reid's offense at KC.

Give me Jordan Howard. They are not the same at all even though I compared them. Montgomery is not a smooth runner. He is so jittery and wastes a lot of movement. Howard is an extremely smooth runner, the only similarity is that they run about the same 40 time. 

37 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Jordan Howard sucks.  Stone hands and he's a dead give away on running plays.

Uhhhh.... Jordan Howard averaged 5.2 yards a Carry on 250 carries his rookie year. Montgomery is averaging 3.3 a tote. Think you may be confused as to who actually sucks...

1 hour ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

They are going to hate.

Issue is play calls....the shotgun handoffs up the middle are so vanilla.  Nagy is terrible.  Made a name for himself ridding Andy Reid's offense at KC.

The shotgun handoffs have been the eagles bread and butter with Howard all season. Granted, has anyone noticed the Eagles run blocking?

Howard and Sanders have been running thru some monster sized alley ways.

The fact that this kid has been afforded a possible bell cow opportunity and hasn’t taken the reigns yet is my ultimate concern with him. The comparisons to DJ early on are definitely not fair to DJ. It’s easy to throw Nagy under the bus as the scapegoat with his play-calling but I’m convinced if the kid was better, he would get more touches. It could also have something to do with pass protection and blitz pickups.

Historically the cream of the crop will rise in these situations but maybe he’s just not that good. Instead of the next DJ maybe he’s the next Tatum Bell.

21 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

...but I’m convinced if the kid was better, he would get more touches.

He is getting more touches...in a matter of fact he's getting the most touches out of the 3 Rbs (Mike Davis (completely gone from offense) & Cohen).

Did anyone realize Mike Davis is so out of the picture he was deactivated in week 4.  This is a guy that avg 4.6 yards per carry and currently avging 2.44.   He hasn't gotten a carry since week 3. 

19 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

The Great David Montgomery decided to improve in his 2.5 ypc last week to 2.3 this week. Thanks for being such a great addition to the offense. 

Walter Payton wouldn't be able to run behind this offensive line. Nagy has been less than stellar as a play caller this year, but this line is absolutely atrocious! They're getting blown up on every snap, and there is no where to run whatsoever! Kyle Long is done, Leno has taken a huge step back, and the switch to put Whitehair back to guard and Daniels at center has been a awful. Whitehair is playing well, but Daniels has been just terrible. He was a fantastic center in college, but they decided to put him at guard last year and he played very well. For some reason they switched them this season and it's been a disaster. Montgomery hasn't been great, but he has no chance with this line in front of him. 

53 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Tarik Cohen who's avg'ed 4.3 and 4.6 yards per carry in his past 2 seasons is averging 2.2!!!!!

2.2 YPC

And Montgomery 3.3, Davis 2.4 on the season.  As Skinny and Frozen have cited...sounds like a product of the play calling/system?  OL? other?

That's too bad, I was eyeing Montgomery as a buy low a couple weeks back, now likely just stay away.

3 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Dude is just a younger Jordan Howard.  Nothing special.

That's completely inaccurate

58 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

He is getting more touches...in a matter of fact he's getting the most touches out of the 3 Rbs (Mike Davis (completely gone from offense) & Cohen).

Did anyone realize Mike Davis is so out of the picture he was deactivated in week 4.  This is a guy that avg 4.6 yards per carry and currently avging 2.44.   He hasn't gotten a carry since week 3. 

He was deactivated because his father passed and he was with his family. He didn't touch the ball yesterday because he's the third RB and they were down 17-0 in the 2nd quarter. 

People are starting to wake up to see Nagy isn't the delicate offensive genius that he was made out to be. I didn't like the hire when they made it, so it's nothing new to me that he isn't very good at his job

16 hours ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Jordan Howard sucks.

Jordan Howard was the first RB in Chicago Bears history to run for 1000 yards in each of his first two seasons--not Sayers, not Payton--Howard.

This fun fact brought to you by the Axe Elf Institute.

22 hours ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Jordan Howard sucks.  Stone hands and he's a dead give away on running plays.

Howard doesn't suck, but he needs good blocking in front of him...he generally can't make plays happen on his own. 

6 minutes ago, GoBucky1 said:

Howard doesn't suck, but he needs good blocking in front of him...he generally can't make plays happen on his own. 

Yeah because most rbs in the nfl are studs even with poor blocking

6 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Yeah because most rbs in the nfl are studs even with poor blocking

I don't think I ever equated Howard to being a stud, however, it's not a coincidence that he's averaging 4.7 yards a carry behind a very good offensive line this season. 

2 minutes ago, GoBucky1 said:

I don't think I ever equated Howard to being a stud, however, it's not a coincidence that he's averaging 4.7 yards a carry behind a very good offensive line this season. 

Im just saying that almost any single rb who isn't a super star needs good blocking. 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Im just saying that almost any single rb who isn't a super star needs good blocking. 

And even some of those still need good blocking

- signed NAn David Johnson owner

2 minutes ago, NAn said:

And even some of those still need good blocking

- signed NAn David Johnson owner

Yep, most of them do

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Yep, most of them do

Stephen Davis didn't.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:24 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

Which is exactly why the Bears can't run the ball this season

On 10/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, mgirgent said:

How does Howard suck? He runs for 1000 yards and 6 td's every year. 

He’s no David Montgomery