Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Gambling Thread

I don't really trust the Bucs all that much but I think they are the pick tonight.  I see them currently at +7.5 after opening at 7.  Over 80% of the public is on the Panthers which makes me think the Bucs are the pick.

Just now, unclemercy said:

i am hedging broncos as far as bears are concerned. +2 1/2 and wear a flacc jacket.

I went with Chicago because I thought they should be the favorite, when I had taken them the line was 0.  It's now -2 1/2.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, oldtimer said:

What do you Gamblers think of the lines this week?  There are a handful I really like.  Pittsburgh getting points against NE, The Lions and the Cardinals being a pick 'em, and Denver vs. Raiders are the 3 I'm watching.  I never place a bet until right before kickoff though.  You can sometimes tell who the large money is wagering on if the line changes within a couple hours of kickoff.  If too much of the public is on a particular game, I will avoid it, even if I like it.  I place my bets with mybookie.ag and I've learned a few things from wagering over the years.  When the public is all over a specific game, don't jump on board.  lol  The public is typically wrong.  I don't know the exact stat, but it's something absolutely astronomical, like when 90% of the public is betting on a certain team, the underdog covers the spread the vast majority of the time. 

As of today, I love that Pitt game.  Them getting +4 right now sort of blows me away. 

Man, my wagering was WAY off last week.  Pitt was blown out.  The Lions couldn't stop Murray and Denver looked like a joke.  The only games I won on were Baltimore on the moneyline and MN on the moneyline.  I put too much on Pittsburgh, which was just dumb on my part.  I expected them to win that game outright.  I had a 4 team parlay that would have covered had they won.  Grrr….

I have not seen anything I truly like yet this week.  I'll keep looking though. 

Does anyone ever play the Teasers?  The odds are pure crap when you buy 7 points and only do a 3-teamer.  It's sort of easy money, but you just don't win much.  I noticed mybookie.ag doesn't allow you to put $10 on all the teams in a parlay anymore.  I would do that now and then just for fun.  It was always throwing away $10, but it was still fun. 

Just now, oldtimer said:

Man, my wagering was WAY off last week.  Pitt was blown out.  The Lions couldn't stop Murray and Denver looked like a joke.  The only games I won on were Baltimore on the moneyline and MN on the moneyline.  I put too much on Pittsburgh, which was just dumb on my part.  I expected them to win that game outright.  I had a 4 team parlay that would have covered had they won.  Grrr….

Does anyone ever play the Teasers?  The odds are pure crap when you buy 7 points and only do a 3-teamer.  It's sort of easy money, but you just don't win much.  I noticed mybookie.ag doesn't allow you to put $10 on all the teams in a parlay anymore.  I would do that now and then just for fun.  It was always throwing away $10, but it was still fun. 

I'm not familiar with how teasers work so I've never played them.

saturday

miss st -7 1/2 

pitt + 17 1/2

iowa st +2 1/2 (fade)

mich st +13 1/2 

sunday

colts +3 1/2

lions +2 1/2

steelers -4 1/2

bungles -1 1/2

but i havent slipped a ticket. i like a lot of these spreads.

balt ov 47 1/2

gb ov 44 1/2

kc ov 52 1/2

chi un 40 1/2

phi ov 51 1/2

monday make up

browns -2 1/2

un 45 1/2

good luck

28 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Just for fun I like to pick every game and tease it 6 to 7 points.  I put very little money on it because I just like to see if I can pick them all.  It's amazing how hard it is even when getting a TD.

14 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Just for fun I like to pick every game and tease it 6 to 7 points.  I put very little money on it because I just like to see if I can pick them all.  It's amazing how hard it is even when getting a TD.

This is the truth!!!!  I've done the same thing, sometimes buying as many as 10 points.  I'm not sure why, but not all the games are always available to buy the 10 points on mybookie.ag.  Even when you buy 7, picking them all is next to impossible.  There is always at least one game that just ruins everything.  I may try this weekend though.  Nothing big, maybe $10.  I looked over the lines last night and the only one I like a lot so far is the KC vs. Oak - Over.  So.....  If you want to make some money, pick against me.  I doubt I even put anything on the game though. 

50 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

This is the truth!!!!  I've done the same thing, sometimes buying as many as 10 points.  I'm not sure why, but not all the games are always available to buy the 10 points on mybookie.ag.  Even when you buy 7, picking them all is next to impossible.  There is always at least one game that just ruins everything.  I may try this weekend though.  Nothing big, maybe $10.  I looked over the lines last night and the only one I like a lot so far is the KC vs. Oak - Over.  So.....  If you want to make some money, pick against me.  I doubt I even put anything on the game though. 

My teaser already lost last night because I took the Panthers as a pick'em.  I made the bet earlier in the week.  If I would've waited till yesterday I would've taken the Bucs after the info I saw.

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

My teaser already lost last night because I took the Panthers as a pick'em.  I made the bet earlier in the week.  If I would've waited till yesterday I would've taken the Bucs after the info I saw.

A guy once told me they call them teasers for a reason.  I sure do lose with them a lot. 

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

A guy once told me they call them teasers for a reason.  I sure do lose with them a lot. 

I do them just for fun so it's fine with me.  I gamble for entertainment, not to make a living.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, unclemercy said:

saturday

miss st -7 1/2 

pitt + 17 1/2

iowa st +2 1/2 (fade)

mich st +13 1/2 

sunday

colts +3 1/2

lions +2 1/2

steelers -4 1/2

bungles -1 1/2

but i havent slipped a ticket. i like a lot of these spreads.

balt ov 47 1/2

gb ov 44 1/2

kc ov 52 1/2

chi un 40 1/2

phi ov 51 1/2

monday make up

browns -2 1/2

un 45 1/2

good luck

I would bet your house and your neighbor's on Michigan State +13.5. 

Sprinkle in your other neighbor's as well. You're welcome!

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Boston College -18.5

Kansas sucks in football.

Dang, current line is -20.5...  I'll still take BC.  Did I mention that Kansas sucks in football?

For Saturday:

Maryland -7
Temple

Army -17
UTSA

Iowa -1.5
Iowa State

Oklahoma -23.5
UCLA

53 minutes ago, LaChup said:

I'll take Kansas ML.

See, the idea of gambling is to do it BEFORE the games are played, so that you can axually get money when you are right.

Gotta give Les Miles credit, though; KU must be improving by leaps and bounds.  They went from barely edging out Indiana State 24-17 in Week 1 and then losing to Coastal Carolina 7-12 in Week 2 to beating a Boston College team that downed Virginia freaking Tech 35-28 in their first game--and not just beating them, but doubling them up 48-24.

I guess the days of Kansas never covering a spread are over; they looked like a top 25 team tonight.

Oh well; I head into Saturday with a 5-2 record so far...

2-2 posted NFL last week

STEELERS -3.5 (seattle traveling cross country, secondary looked bad, pitt can take adv.  pitt run def strong, should slow hawks)

TITANS -3 (love their defense, should do a better job containing mack.  mariota with walker is a competent qb again)

LIONS +2 (chargers too many injuries on defense and now offense.  lions should be able to control this on ground and their def front should get to rivers)

BILLS -1.5 (dont see giants moving ball much on bills esp now without shephard.  allen should hit a few deep ones against bad giants secondary)

CARDINALS +13 (too many points, ravens injuries in secondary, murray got the jitters out and played well late last week i think they hang around)

CHIEFS -7 (either get on the train or get out of the way...dont think oakland is as good as they looked, think denver is just that bad)

PACKERS -2.5 (minn defense away from home is not nearly as good.  packers defense is much improved, rodgers and company at home will be better after knocking rust off last week)

might play atlanta later in evening

GL everyone

On 9/12/2019 at 1:09 PM, unclemercy said:

wrong

What do u mean wrong? Won my Big bet with colts +7. Won Tennessee in a blowout and det blew an 18pt lead in the 4th qtr. The only loss imo was pitt. Other than that, it was a good day. Having said that, here's my plays tomorrow. 

SF +1.5

Det +3

Pitt -4

On 9/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, AxeElf said:

Dang, current line is -20.5...  I'll still take BC.  Did I mention that Kansas sucks in football?

For Saturday:

Maryland -7
Temple

Army -17
UTSA

Iowa -1.5
Iowa State

Oklahoma -23.5
UCLA

2-3 this week (missed 3-2 by 0.5 pts, when Iowa went for 2 instead of kicking the XP after going up 15-14 on Iowa State).

On to next week with a cumulative total of 7-4...

On 9/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, unclemercy said:

mich st +13 1/2 

On 9/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, LaChup said:

I would bet your house and your neighbor's on Michigan State +13.5. 

Sprinkle in your other neighbor's as well. You're welcome!

Let's hope it wasn't -13 1/2...

4 hours ago, jrokh said:

Took the under 43 Texans-Jags

Boo ya!

20 hours ago, American Chewy said:

2-2 posted NFL last week

STEELERS -3.5 (seattle traveling cross country, secondary looked bad, pitt can take adv.  pitt run def strong, should slow hawks)

TITANS -3 (love their defense, should do a better job containing mack.  mariota with walker is a competent qb again)

LIONS +2 (chargers too many injuries on defense and now offense.  lions should be able to control this on ground and their def front should get to rivers)

BILLS -1.5 (dont see giants moving ball much on bills esp now without shephard.  allen should hit a few deep ones against bad giants secondary)

CARDINALS +13 (too many points, ravens injuries in secondary, murray got the jitters out and played well late last week i think they hang around)

CHIEFS -7 (either get on the train or get out of the way...dont think oakland is as good as they looked, think denver is just that bad)

PACKERS -2.5 (minn defense away from home is not nearly as good.  packers defense is much improved, rodgers and company at home will be better after knocking rust off last week)

might play atlanta later in evening

GL everyone

5-2.  Big ben inj killed steelers bet.

Rolling atlanta +1 for gambols...

7 hours ago, American Chewy said:

5-2.  Big ben inj killed steelers bet.

Rolling atlanta +1 for gambols...

I'm not sure what game you watched, but Pitt was much better offensively with Rudolph.  

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2019 at 11:15 PM, AxeElf said:

On to next week with a cumulative total of 7-4...

Didn't see anything I liked last week, so still holding at 7-4 on the year...

The 20 points that Air Force is giving to San Jose State tonight seems like a pretty big number for a team coming off an 11 point loss to Boise State, against a team coming off a 7 point win against Arkansas.  I wouldn't bet the farm on this one, but San Jose State +20 seems like a pretty good chance to get another win.

For Saturday, this is another tentative one, but Coastal Carolina has been rolling lesser opponents, and Appalachian State is giving them 16, so I'm taking the Chanticleers +16 on a whim.

And finally, other than the no-defense shootout last week with Washington State, UCLA has looked pretty putrid under Chip Kelly, so I'm giving them the points and taking Arizona -6.5 at home.

9 hours ago, AxeElf said:

The 20 points that Air Force is giving to San Jose State tonight seems like a pretty big number for a team coming off an 11 point loss to Boise State, against a team coming off a 7 point win against Arkansas.  I wouldn't bet the farm on this one, but San Jose State +20 seems like a pretty good chance to get another win.

Whew.  As I suspected, the teams seemed pretty evenly matched, but then San Jose State kept getting stupid in the red zone and came away with 0 pts on 2 possessions inside the 10 yard line in the 3rd quarter and the game got away from them.  Fortunately they scored one last TD during the final minute to get inside the 20 point spread, losing 24-41, but it sure could have been closer.

8-4 and counting...

My book offered up a bet at +1200 odds, for or against.

You have to pick all win or all lose for the 3 following games. Philly, KC, CLE. 

I said what the hell and threw 50 bucks on those 3 teams winning this week since I felt good about Philly and KC. The payout is about 600 bucks. Come on KC and Cleveland. You can do it. 

I laid pretty heavy Penn st -6.5 so I didn't play a ton else. Missed vatech but didnt have much on it.

Like iowa -24 today and played a no brainers huge favorite ml on 8 college games.

I am an Iowa state guy and I don't like them being favored on the road at Baylor.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:14 PM, AxeElf said:

For Saturday, this is another tentative one, but Coastal Carolina has been rolling lesser opponents, and Appalachian State is giving them 16, so I'm taking the Chanticleers +16 on a whim.

Bah, foiled by a App St. pick-6 on CC's penultimate possession of the game; they lose by 19.

Counting on Arizona to break the 1-1 tie for this weekend in my favor...

On 9/27/2019 at 1:14 PM, AxeElf said:

And finally, other than the no-defense shootout last week with Washington State, UCLA has looked pretty putrid under Chip Kelly, so I'm giving them the points and taking Arizona -6.5 at home.

Well crap, I guess UCLA is getting better.  I had two chances to win this even so, with an Arizona TD called back with 3 minutes and change to go because the receiver's knee just grazed the top of the grass as he caught the ball, and a UCLA FG that probably would have sent the game into OT (where Arizona would have a decent chance of winning by 7) went wide right in the waning seconds, giving Arizona a 3 point win.

So 1-2 this weekend, ugh.  8-6 overall and on to next week...