Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

The Big House

I went to Ann Arbor to see the game last Saturday, and man that was a spectacle.  They announced over 100K people in attendance. There were easily another 50K tailgating on the golf course and in the parking lots.  

We were about 20 rows up on the 40 yd line.  There were 3 fockface doctors in front of us who insisted on staying on their feet for the entire first quarter.  Late 20's, early 30's rich kids.  They were all wearing U of M Urology shirts.  The chicks right behind them kept yelling at them to sit down and they completely ignored them.  Finally, my friend said," I guess handling pr!cks all day turns you into one."  That got their attention.  They turned around and stared at him while everyone around us laughed.  Then someone else yelled.  "Sit the fock down!"  They got with the program after that. 

Anyway. Bleacher seats suck.  They pack you in like sardines, and the fatty in front of me was basically in my lap. 

It was interesting to see the stadium since I'd never gone before, but I'll probably pass if I'm invited again.  

6 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

No desire to see that sheet hole.

U of M blows.

GO GREEN!

We took my son to a game in East Lansing for his b-day a few years ago.  He likes Mich State, but I have no desire to go back there either.  

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

We took my son to a game in East Lansing for his b-day a few years ago.  He likes Mich State, but I have no desire to go back there either.  

Big stadiums are losing whatever luster they used to have.

At home or even at a bar, you can sit in a comfy chair, with a big screen tv.  Have a bathroom and a beer close by( Both Michigan stadiums do not sell alcohol).  You save the money and don't have to deal with traffic, or azzhole doctors that wont sit down.    I see no reason whatsoever to go to a football game these days.

I went to the Big House once to watch Iowa play them and it was awesome.  Great atmosphere and tailgating.  I'll still take a game in Iowa City over any other place I've been to though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

At home or even at a bar, you can sit in a comfy chair, with a big screen tv.  Have a bathroom and a beer close by( Both Michigan stadiums do not sell alcohol).  You save the money and don't have to deal with traffic, or azzhole doctors that wont sit down.    I see no reason whatsoever to go to a football game these days.

I've pretty much always felt that way about football.  You see a whole lot more of the game on tv than in person.  I've only ever been to 1 NFL game and 3 College games in my whole life.

Baseball and basketball is a different story.  I've been to lots of those and still enjoy them.  

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

For me it's a gathering of friends while tailgating.  We have a group that come from all different areas so we wouldn't normally be watching a game together if we didn't have tickets to the game.  It's a great experience, especially if it's an afternoon game.

It helps bringing a flask into the game.

• Like 1

I work in Ann Arbor, as a matter of fact I can see the back of the scoreboard in the north endzone from my office.   Ann Arbor is a typical, liberal, shithole college town.

The tailgate experience at U of M games is awesome.  The in-stadium experience blows.

The gameday experience at MSU (my school) has gotten worse over the years, so much so that I maybe go to one game a year.   Like pretty much any sports experience, its so much better at home or at a local bar with some buddies.

Either way, Fock U of M.

• Like 1

Been there a few times and you're correct, they pack you in like sardines.  The second to last time I went our two seats were in the endzone and I swear to God when we got there what looked to be NFL linemen were sitting to the left and right of the tiny painted numbers on the hardass metal no backed bleacher seats that we were supposed to somehow squeeze into.  Fock that.  I'd much rather watch on TV.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

I work in Ann Arbor, as a matter of fact I can see the back of the scoreboard in the north endzone from my office.   Ann Arbor is a typical, liberal, shithole college town.

The tailgate experience at U of M games is awesome.  The in-stadium experience blows.

The gameday experience at MSU (my school) has gotten worse over the years, so much so that I maybe go to one game a year.   Like pretty much any sports experience, its so much better at home or at a local bar with some buddies.

Either way, Fock U of M.

I should say yeah tailgating is awesome.  Everything else about stadiums sucks.  Add winter to it, and no thanks

4 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I should say yeah tailgating is awesome.  Everything else about stadiums sucks.  Add winter to it, and no thanks

And walking to the stadium is uphill the entire way.  By the time I get there, I need a nap.

I go usually once a year. Typically to one of the games against a non ranked school. I love the surroundings. Everyone is just happy and having fun. 

I was at the first game after 911. Which was like Western Michigan. It was surreal. Not a plane in the sky and a somber mood. 

My little brother was at the App state game. Called me up to tell me and I thought he was lying. 

Interesting thread... my wife is a Wolverine and wants to take me to the ND game this year.  This is the 30th anniversary of the first time we watched them play (TV), I rooted for ND because I knew Rocket Ismail, the rest was history.  Also the game is a week before or after her HS reunion.  Cheap seats are like $200+ on Stubhub though, that's worse than Tool.

13 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Interesting thread... my wife is a Wolverine and wants to take me to the ND game this year.  This is the 30th anniversary of the first time we watched them play (TV), I rooted for ND because I knew Rocket Ismail, the rest was history.  Also the game is a week before or after her HS reunion.  Cheap seats are like $200+ on Stubhub though, that's worse than Tool.

That’s a huge game for both schools so the place will be rocking.  And ND isn’t far away so there will be even more tailgaters than what I saw   

Just know that you won’t exactly find much comfort or wiggle room there.  If big crowds aren’t your thing, stay home.  

If somebody wants to stand at a football game or a concert they have the right.  You come across like a grouchy old man.

10 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

If somebody wants to stand at a football game or a concert they have the right.  You come across like a grouchy old man.

It’s customary to sit down and watch until there’s a reason to stand up and cheer.  

If you wanna stand up the whole time, go relive your college days in the student section   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2010/9/3/1667401/fan-guide-standing-games-etiquette-football-rules

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2015/12/1/9829336/bengals-stadium-etiquette-to-stand-or-to-sit-that-is-the-question

There tend to be certain sections where standing during much of the game is the norm, such as the end zone, or at a college game in the student section. But outside of these sections, the remaining sections of most stadiums tend to be ones where sitting is the unwritten rule followed by the fans.

https://amp.si.com/nfl/2012/08/22/nfl-fan-crackdown

28. A good rule of thumb: If you're the only one standing in a stadium filled with 50,000 fans, be embarrassed and then be seated.

26 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

It’s customary to sit down and watch until there’s a reason to stand up and cheer.  

If you wanna stand up the whole time, go relive your college days in the student section   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2010/9/3/1667401/fan-guide-standing-games-etiquette-football-rules

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2015/12/1/9829336/bengals-stadium-etiquette-to-stand-or-to-sit-that-is-the-question

There tend to be certain sections where standing during much of the game is the norm, such as the end zone, or at a college game in the student section. But outside of these sections, the remaining sections of most stadiums tend to be ones where sitting is the unwritten rule followed by the fans.

https://amp.si.com/nfl/2012/08/22/nfl-fan-crackdown

28. A good rule of thumb: If you're the only one standing in a stadium filled with 50,000 fans, be embarrassed and then be seated.

Sorry...but if ya gotta google standing rules in stadiums, then yeah..youre THAT old fuddy-duddy

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Sorry...but if ya gotta google standing rules in stadiums, then yeah..youre THAT old fuddy-duddy

I might be old, but I'm still right.  And so are the 10's of thousands of other attendees who weren't being self-absorbed, inconsiderate fock faces.

Been once. It was fine.

I don't really care for going to sporting events these days.