Sign in to follow this  
RedzoneMonster

UPDATE: Antonio Brown Suspended? - Will Play Wk1- Released - Signs W/ NE!

Not even sure that Belichick and the Pats can keep this diva in check....or would want to try.

Just now, stonewall said:

Not even sure that Belichick and the Pats can keep this diva in check....or would want to try.

Belichick tends to wait until the flameout is complete

Holysh!t.  :shocking:  Even as a Steelers fan, this is actually unbelievable.  Possibly the best WR in the game, or at least the most consistently great one over the last 5 years, is a FA after being CUT for his attitude.  Josh Gordon, I get, but this one is inexplicable.  Begs the CTE question.  

9 minutes ago, jgcrawfish said:

Holysh!t.  :shocking:  Even as a Steelers fan, this is actually unbelievable.  Possibly the best WR in the game, or at least the most consistently great one over the last 5 years, is a FA after being CUT for his attitude.  Josh Gordon, I get, but this one is inexplicable.  Begs the CTE question.  

He’s not that great and wasn’t going to succeed without Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh offense. And he knew it.

Antonio Brown’s career stat line with Raiders: 1 helmet incident/1 argument w/GM/1 public apology to team/dozens of ill advised tweets

Just now, NAn said:

Antonio Brown’s career stat line with Raiders: 1 helmet incident/1 argument w/GM/1 public apology to team/dozens of ill advised tweets

add a couple $100k in fines and a fumbled guarantee

fired chef hot air balloon that lip sync thing went half blonde illegal phone recordings cried in a team meeting etc but didnt beat his kids or gf.

2 minutes ago, unclemercy said:

fired chef hot air balloon that lip sync thing went half blonde illegal phone recordings cried in a team meeting etc but didnt beat his kids or gf.

give it some time

He'll probably land across the bay. Let them deal with the nutjob.

1 hour ago, jgcrawfish said:

Okay, we have to stop repeating this.  Antonio Browns troubles date all the way back to 2012, so CTE is NOT an excuse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pinesprings said:

whats the process now? At 4pm est he is free to sign with anyone? 

please clarify....thanks

That's what I read.  I don't think anything will happen right away.  Even if a team is interested, I'm guessing they let things blow over for at least a few days if not weeks before anything transpires.

Last I saw he can be signed by 4pm but is not allowed to play till week 2

Hey red zone monster done a good job of updating thread title, just FYI to change to ‘will NOT play week1’ (or FFMike or other mod?) as that is what’s stated here on CBS...

’He cannot, however, suit up in Week 1. The earliest we could see AB back on the field and in a new uniform is Week 2.’

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-cut-antonio-brown-after-instagram-post-asking-for-release-and-voiding-nearly-30m-in-guarantees/

19 minutes ago, NAn said:

Hey red zone monster done a good job of updating thread title, just FYI to change to ‘will NOT play week1’ (or FFMike or other mod?) as that is what’s stated here on CBS...

’He cannot, however, suit up in Week 1. The earliest we could see AB back on the field and in a new uniform is Week 2.’

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-cut-antonio-brown-after-instagram-post-asking-for-release-and-voiding-nearly-30m-in-guarantees/

NFL Network says he can play week one if he signs with a team playing Monday night. By today. 

So, where does Antonio Brown end up now that this fiasco with the Raiders is over?  Here are some thoughts:

First, I don’t see him ending up with a team with a 1st or 2nd year coach.  I doubt the owner/GM would want to put a young coach in that position with a combustible player.  That rules out over half of the teams.  I would also run out any team that have two quality WR’s already, like the Rams, the Falcons, the Vikings, the Browns, the Chiefs (WR/TE in that situation).  That does leave a handful of teams that might be interested.

New England- Everyone’s popular choice at the moment with Belichick and a veteran locker room.  It would fall in line with the signings of Randy Moss and Albert Hainsworth.  But, with Josh Gordon and Julian Edelman already starting, bringing in AB could cause problems with playing time.  Might not be worth the risk for the Patriots.

Seattle- Veteran coach and established stars in the locker room could make this workable.  Seattle’s WR group are young, so bringing in a veteran like Brown is an upgrade.  Pete Carroll has shown an ability to handle mercurial stars in the past.

New Orleans- Veteran coach and quarterback.  In need of an upgrade opposite Michael Thomas, with Ted Ginn being 34 and hasn’t played a full season since 2016.  Would help the passing game, it just becomes a question if Peyton can handle AB.

Houston- O’Brien does not have the coaching pedigree as the other three, yet he did handle the situation with the owner a few years back and the players aptly.  Pairing AB with Hopkins (and replacing the always injured Will Fuller) would give the Texans the best WR pair in the NFL.  Houston does appear to be all-in this season, and a well-behaved AB could help put them on top.

Philadelphia- This would be an out-of-character move for this organization, but the addition of AB would improve the passing game, pairing him with the aging Alshon Jeffery and Desean Jackson.  Jeffery and Jackson have had injuries the last few years, so bringing in AB adds depth and a quality WR.

Baltimore- Harbaugh is an established coach, but he’s more on the hotseat than the others above (aside from maybe O’Brien).  The Ravens WR corps is young and inexperienced, so AB would add to that.  A Lamar Jackson-to-AB connection would greatly help the Ravens offense.

Carolina Panthers- Another established coach and quarterback, with a young WR corps and a veteran locker room.  Bringing in AB would be an improvement over the developing DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel.

That’s 7 teams that I see could have some interest in Antonio Brown in the right circumstances.

I think somebody will sign him.  This is my speculation of the criteria of a team that would sign him:

1) he'll have to want to go there (probably will need a decent QB to get him the ball and pad his stats)  He'll want to go somewhere where he can "show how wrong everyone was to not keep him on their team".  It doesn't matter if the team is good as long as he thinks he can put up big numbers there

2)the owner will have to see the revenue his presence brings in as the "villain"  is worth more than a 1 year deal of 10-15 mil you'd pay him (or at least the risk vs the potential return).  It's a pretty good bet with all the attention this is getting.  Just a simple business decision for an owner with a team he knows is going to be garbage or is in "rebuilding" mode

3)the head coach and gm will be desperate to not be fired before the season ends so they'd be williing to put up with his antics to some extent.  I don't think teams that look to have legitimate shot at a superbowl run this year (right now) will take on the risk that he destroys the team so to speak, unless they start losing and get desperate.

Don't know if any of this is true or will happen, just my opinion.

AB just did not want to play for the Raiders. All this trouble is part of his plan to get released. AB will sign with a playoff contender possibly the Patriots and he will all of a sudden be a good professional. All part of his plan. Sure it probably will not be for as much money. Trust me AB could not be happier being a free agent able to control where he signs. 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Beyond Chaos said:

I think somebody will sign him.  This is my speculation of the criteria of a team that would sign him:

1) he'll have to want to go there (probably will need a decent QB to get him the ball and pad his stats)  He'll want to go somewhere where he can "show how wrong everyone was to not keep him on their team".  It doesn't matter if the team is good as long as he thinks he can put up big numbers there

2)the owner will have to see the revenue his presence brings in as the "villain"  is worth more than a 1 year deal of 10-15 mil you'd pay him (or at least the risk vs the potential return).  It's a pretty good bet with all the attention this is getting.  Just a simple business decision for an owner with a team he knows is going to be garbage or is in "rebuilding" mode

3)the head coach and gm will be desperate to not be fired before the season ends so they'd be williing to put up with his antics to some extent.  I don't think teams that look to have legitimate shot at a superbowl run this year (right now) will take on the risk that he destroys the team so to speak, unless they start losing and get desperate.

Don't know if any of this is true or will happen, just my opinion.

He ain't getting 10-15 million anymore.  He blew that out of his ass.  Some team will probably sign him, but maybe for 5 million.  Nothing more than that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Connorsdad said:

AB just did not want to play for the Raiders. All this trouble is part of his plan to get released. AB will sign with a playoff contender possibly the Patriots and he will all of a sudden be a good professional. All part of his plan. Sure it probably will not be for as much money. Trust me AB could not be happier being a free agent able to control where he signs. 

He just screwed up 29 mill in guaranteed money with his antics. He wants money that no one will give him now. I'm extremely skeptical of him acting like a professional all of a sudden.

I think Baltimore is the sneaky team here. He is very close with his cousin who was just drafted there (Hollywood Brown). Coach Harbaugh is a strong enough presence that they might feel comfortable taking on the risk with him. Their WR corps is wide open and could use a talent like AB at the WR position to help out Lamar Jackson and open up the offense. He'd be back in a familiar division and would get to face the Steelers twice a year (Brown is crazy enough that this would feel very important to him to show them up twice with one of those times being in Pittsburgh). 

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

It would be nice for the Redskins to have a WR for once since the 90s...

It's not like Daniel Snyder wouldn't sign a player like AB.  But, from a team standpoint, I'm not sure the Redskins could handle the problems AB could cause.  They're a rebuilding young team with a relatively new coach.

Another question is whether Brown's ego will let him sign for the much smaller amount teams will now offer him. Or if he'll sit out like Dez Bryant until it sinks in that nobody's going to offer him a huge contract.

from NFL's Judy Battista

"Deciphering what Brown is looking for is now the problem of his next team.

There is always greater tolerance for greater talent in the NFL, but Brown has now proven too toxic for two of the league's most player-friendly coaches and franchises -- not everyone would have tried everything to make this work, especially after Brown threatened Mayock -- in the space of just nine months, and that says a lot more about him than it does about them. The rapid acceleration of Brown's behavioral decline finally outpaced his physical gifts on Saturday, and that raises a question that teams have to be considering now as they weigh whether to toss this grenade into their locker room in the first week of the season.

It's entirely fair to question if Brown even wants to play football anymore and what personal factors precipitated this extraordinary meltdown. Those are delicate, difficult questions at a moment when Brown's public emotional state has swung like a pendulum. We have all gawked at the Raiders' follies with Brown, but Brown is clearly in some degree of private turmoil and that has to be addressed and not simply enabled -- by the people closest to him and, alas, by the people who hope to next benefit from his skills. All signings are just a cost-benefit analysis. Brown surely likes the trappings of the NFL, but he just threw to the wind what should have been $30 million guaranteed over what? An outdated helmet? A five-figure fine? Will any team interested in him now dare to guarantee anywhere close to that kind of money, given the on-full-display risks associated with him? Can any team expect to win when the head coach has to spend this much time managing one player? The benefits of Brown's presence are clear in any stat line. The costs are not simply reflected in the payroll. They are borne by those who have to make an entire team function. And for now, Brown simply costs too much."

Here's his latest tweet ...

“The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth”

1 hour ago, wahl35 said:

He just screwed up 29 mill in guaranteed money with his antics. He wants money that no one will give him now. I'm extremely skeptical of him acting like a professional all of a sudden.

This was his plan all along ! AB to the Pats!