Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Best College Football Programs of All Time

As much as I hated them, that '85-'88 team led by Jamell Holieway might have been my favorite team to ever watch play.

• Like 1

I would have to think Ohio State would be top 3... possibly #1.  During my lifetime (90's through today - not counting ages 0-10... I was born in 1980), they've been a mainstay in the top 10 virtually all 30 years.

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

As much as I hated them, that '85-'88 team led by Jamell Holieway might have been my favorite team to ever watch play.

Those wishbone teams produced some great running backs.  

I’ve enjoyed watching them evolve into a passing team.  I just wish they’d play some defense now.  

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I would have to think Ohio State would be top 3... possibly #1.  During my lifetime (90's through today - not counting ages 0-10... I was born in 1980), they've been a mainstay in the top 10 virtually all 30 years.

Since 1980, OSU has won 2 national championships (8 total) ...........................Bama has 6 (15 total).

How in the world could OSU be "possibly"#1?

I actually thought Notre Dame was going to take the top spot.  They have the most national championships of all time.  

But I guess they’ve had too many down years. 

Eta:  I’m incorrect.  Bama has more.  

Technically Yale has the most. 

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

Since 1980, OSU has won 2 national championships (8 total) ...........................Bama has 6 (15 total).

How in the world could OSU be "possibly"#1?

Because prior to 2010, they really haven't been anything special.  If you're talking "all-time", I think you'd have to factor in resume from, I don't know... the last 50+ years or so?  Also, there's a playoff system now.  It's easier to win a championship.  In the 90's and 2000's before the playoffs, it was only a group of people's opinions on who either #1 was, or #1 and #2 to fight it out.  There were many years where Ohio State would have been "in the playoffs" and could have won the championship.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Because prior to 2010, they really haven't been anything special.  If you're talking "all-time", I think you'd have to factor in resume from, I don't know... the last 50+ years or so?  Also, there's a playoff system now.  It's easier to win a championship.  In the 90's and 2000's before the playoffs, it was only a group of people's opinions on who either #1 was, or #1 and #2 to fight it out.  There were many years where Ohio State would have been "in the playoffs" and could have won the championship.

I'm not sure all time helps OSU's case either. Prior to 1980 Bama won more titles then than OSU has combined.

And prior to the playoff system, those ranked #1 and #2 were ranked that for a reason. OSU had every chance to ranked one of those if merited - they weren't.

I'm not sure how any impartial fan could ever make a case for OSU over Bama.

Just now, Cruzer said:

I'm not sure all time helps OSU's case either. Prior to 1980 Bama won more titles then than OSU has combined.

And prior to the playoff system, those ranked #1 and #2 were ranked that for a reason. OSU had every chance to ranked one of those if merited - they weren't.

I'm not sure how any impartial fan could ever make a case for OSU over Bama.

As I said, I was only going by what I witnessed.  I was born in 1980 and didn't really even pay attention until I was about 10.  My guess, as I stated, was only based on what I saw from 1990-today.  After actually clicking on the link and seeing Ohio State #3 and Alabama #2... I'm guessing I really wasn't all that far off.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Michigan is the greatest team that doesn't actually win titles, apparently. 

Half a national championship in 70 years (and a gift half at that).  :thumbsdown:

Lets not forget about the most unlikable fanbase around....or at least tied with Notre Dame.   I can handle the Michigan grads I know, for the most part they are stand up folks.  Its the DB Walmart Wolverines that are unbearable.

Michigan over ND? Puhleese. Whole thing is invalid based on that besides Alabama. 

5 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

It's great when 60 year olds are voting.  Those guys who remember Billy Sims and Barry Switzer.

Going farther back than that.  They remember Bud Wilkinson, Steve Owens, Joe Washington, Greg Pruitt, Leroy Selmon

Wilkinson won 3 National Champisonships in the 50’s and their record 47 game winning streak from that era still stands   

18 hours ago, posty said:

Mount Union (OH)

Great call

• Like 1

19 hours ago, posty said:

Mount Union (OH)

19 hours ago, posty said:

Mount Union (OH)

This is about D1.  But thanks for playing. 

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

This is about D1.  But thanks for playing. 

You never said anything about restricting it to just D1...  The article doesn't mention anything either...

Plus I think doing it in D3 is tougher since they don't give athletic scholarships...

23 minutes ago, posty said:

You never said anything about restricting it to just D1...  The article doesn't mention anything either...

Plus I think doing it in D3 is tougher since they don't give athletic scholarships...

Maybe at the start, but once you've won for awhile the players come to you. See: UConn, women's basketball

3 hours ago, posty said:

All that goes without saying when the article is focused on AP rankings.  

USC/UCLA

UGA/Georgia Tech

Alabama/Clemson

Arizona/Arizona State

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

USC/UCLA

UGA/Georgia Tech

Alabama/Clemson

Arizona/Arizona State

This isn’t about rivalries.  But if it was:

OU/Texas

Mich/Ohio State