Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Packers at Bears - In-Game Discussion

Well, we learned Montgomery is the bears RB3.  We retained the knowledge that Trubisky sucks. Jury out out GB Defense because Trubisky sucks so not a good barometer. Bears Defense good. Any other notes?

Final box score for the RBs.

Mike Davis 5 rushes for 19 yards; 6 catches for 16 yards. :lol:

Tarik Cohen 0 rushes for 0 yards; 8 catches for 47 yards.

Montgomery 6 rushes for 18 yards; 1 catch for 27 yards.

Bold strategy keeping the dude known for breaking tackles on the sideline and force feeding the Jaggiest JAG that ever was a JAG.

• Thanks 1

Just now, nobody said:

Bold strategy keeping the dude known for breaking tackles on the sideline and force feeding the Jaggiest JAG that ever was a JAG.

In all fairness, the 18 yards on 6 carries didn't really scream "elusiveness."

He broke more tackles in this game on his 7 touches than Mike Davis did on his 11.  Dropped less passes too.

All in all, I like Aaron Jones’ 13 touches in a game with hardly any offense against the best D line in the league. Plus he got 3 more yards than my opponents Devante Adams

• Like 1

If that’s the best the offensive genius can do, I’ll say the Bears won’t make the playoffs this season.   The offensive play calling is terrible.

1 minute ago, shorepatrol said:

If they both look like they did tonight in week 4 on offense I'd be worried. EH

Yeah but the Packers have Rodgers.  The bears have trubs.

Rodgers with FINALLY what looks like at least a legit defense is nice.  The defense hardly ever wins games for GB.  Did you see how excited Rodgers was after the game even with an off performance?  He finially feels like it isnt all on his shoulders.   Big Ben, Brady, Russell  have all had years with legit defenses.   Rodgers hasnt sonxe rhe SB run.  And that was literally 1 year.  Otherwise they have been a wet paper bag.  Teams march down like clockwork from penalties, blown coverages, missed tackles.

I was more excited about Pettine coming in last year than I have ever been for a coach or player.  He is very well reapected around the league and players love playing for him.  2nd year with that defense and new key pieces and departures.  I mean it was the bears and trubs.  But Packer fans finally have some real optimism about a defense for once.  They may not be elite.  But they look legit on paper and what they showed in week 1.  The Packers defense has been so bad for years.  It is refreshing.

• Like 1

A. Jones and D. Montgomery will have better games, but jeesh rough start for 3rd round RBs. At least Jones had double digit touches.  I'd be especially nervous with Montgomery - even if the carries increase in spite of the RBBC system, the Bears offense sucks.

1 minute ago, GobbleDog said:

A. Jones and D. Montgomery will have better games, but jeesh rough start for 3rd round RBs. At least Jones had double digit touches.  I'd be especially nervous with Montgomery - even if the carries increase in spite of the RBBC system, the Bears offense sucks.

I mean hes a rookie.  Like miles sanders.  Or Singletary.  These are not 1st round picks.  They arent coming in week 1 and getting all the work.  They are still learning.....especially pass pro.  Montgomery will get more work as the weeks go on.  

The Packers with a new system were never going to come in 1st week and light up the bears defense in their stadium.  Just not realistic.  Did I expect more than 10 pts? Sure.  

Lafleur likes to run the ball.   A lot of the downfall came from not being able to run the ball at all.  Lane Taylor needa to go.  It was said he was almost a vet money cut but he stayed because of his experience.  He was real bad.  They could use a real slot guy as well.   Adams may be best served in the slot.  Rodgers didnt play in the preseason.  They will improve week to week.  But their team success will come from a blend of offense and defense.  Rodgers is still hanging onto it too long although the pass pro wasnt great.  But it was Mack and company.

Ummm, to me this looked like a 3rd preseason game. That's all this week will be. OFF always look bad first 2 weeks of the season, and DEF look stellar! All this supposing is pointless until week 3....IMO of course.

Last season talked about how I thought Trubisky wasn’t going to be more then just a field manager, and it looks like that so far will be the case.  

They flashed a graphic on the screen that GB had 4 yards total in the 1st and 3rd quarters.

39 minutes ago, American Chewy said:

More droppable...miller with his one target or allison with his one target?  Least I've got options for week 1 waivers.  

Anthony Miller had 7 TDs as a rookie.  Geronimo Allison has 4 TDs in his 3 year career.

And technically, Allison had no targets...

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Anthony Miller had 7 TDs as a rookie.  Geronimo Allison has 4 TDs in his 3 year career.

And technically, Allison had no targets...

This.

Allison was in no way in the game plan. I think this was evident on that pass to Davis..Commentary said Adams had a minor injury, and Davis came in for his place.

The Bears couldn’t sustain a drive. Miller was open on his one target, Truibs missed it by a mile. Gabriel is a burner, but nothing spectacular, Miller will become involved.

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

Last season talked about how I thought Trubisky wasn’t going to be more then just a field manager, and it looks like that so far will be the case.  

Full Tramon Williams quote on Mitch Trubisky:

"We wanted to make Mitch play quarterback. We knew they had a lot of weapons, we knew they were dangerous, we knew all of those things. But we knew if we could make Mitch play quarterback, that we’d have a chance."

5 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

The expectations by some, are off the charts.

I dunno.  Trubisky missed quite a few open guys and doesn’t appear to see the whole field.  I dunno.  Game 1 or not it’s a short season and he’s expected to play well whether it’s game 1 or game 16.  The three headed RB attack was lame too but that’s not Mitch’s fault.  Not sure about the Bears.  They’ll improve and they have a very good defense but offense wins championships these days.  That cannot be argued.

"offense wins championships these days.  That cannot be argued."  Uh, tell that to the Rams.  The Pats' defense won them the last Super Bowl!

In today’s nfl, offense does win championships. 

11 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I've been the biggest proponent of pumping the brakes on the Montgomery hype this preseason, but even I wouldn't do that.

The game script didnt allow him to get on the field.

Montgomery is supposed to be a first down back, but with the team trailing, Cohen got more love.

You also need to remember this kid is a rookie, and both Defenses were getting substantial pressure on the QB.

It is possible that his blitz pickup is not where it needs to be yet (as is often the case with young RB's) and that may have been enough to keep him off the field in a tight divisional game with potential playoff implications.

3 hours ago, sderk said:

At least the Cubs won. :dunno:

Cubs/Brewers outscored Bears/Packers...

Just now, rallo said:

Cubs/Brewers outscored Bears/Packers...

Haha. So freaking funny. What a snooze fest that game was. I hope that doesn't set the tone for football this year. Nobody practices in the preseason anymore so maybe the teams need a few weeks to get going? :dunno:

I think that’s the type of games that the Bears will be involved in this season, not every game, but I think a lot of them. 

They need Qb help. 

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

The game script didnt allow him to get on the field.

Montgomery is supposed to be a first down back, but with the team trailing, Cohen got more love.

You also need to remember this kid is a rookie, and both Defenses were getting substantial pressure on the QB.

It is possible that his blitz pickup is not where it needs to be yet (as is often the case with young RB's) and that may have been enough to keep him off the field in a tight divisional game with potential playoff implications.

Yes, these are all good reasons to pump the brakes on the Montgomery hype also.

Again want to emphasize to not jump to conclusions about the Packers offense from last night. That bears D is dominant and they would have made any team look silly. This was a glorified preseason game for both teams.

9 hours ago, RoadLizard said:

I dunno.  Trubisky missed quite a few open guys and doesn’t appear to see the whole field.  I dunno.  Game 1 or not it’s a short season and he’s expected to play well whether it’s game 1 or game 16.  The three headed RB attack was lame too but that’s not Mitch’s fault.  Not sure about the Bears.  They’ll improve and they have a very good defense but offense wins championships these days.  That cannot be argued.

SB 53

NE 13. LAR 3