drobeski

The official great covers by all star bands thread

I remember watching that live from Harrison's induction into the R&R HOF,it gave me a whole new appreciation for Prince's guitar playing.Great performance all around.

5 minutes ago, nzoner said:

I remember watching that live from Harrison's induction into the R&R HOF,it gave me a whole new appreciation for Prince's guitar playing.Great performance all around.

Same here.... was never a prince guy but that performance gave me a whole new perspective.  

• Like 1

Agree that "While My Guitar" wins and it isn't close, but I liked this tribute to Levon Helm at the 2013 Grammies featuring Elton John, Mumford and Sons, Mavis Staples, T-Bone Burnett, and others:

https://deadspin.com/heres-the-balls-out-levon-helm-grammy-awards-memorial-t-5983262

Also, U2, Fergie and Mick signing "Gimme Shelter" at the 2009 Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony:

Bruce, Elvis Costello and others singing "Pretty Woman" with Roy Orbision:

Speaking of Bruce, not an "all-star band", but his cover of "One Headlight" with the Wallflowers at the 1997 MTV VMAs was so awesome that, as Bill Simmons has joked, it basically ruined the Wallflowers forever:

A few that came to mind:

Some where I thought the cover was better than the original...

Elton John - Pinball Wizard (The Who)

Elton John - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (The Beatles)

Ronan Keating - When You Say Nothing At All (Keith Whitley)

Disturbed - Sounds of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)

Phil Collins - True Colors (Cyndi Lauper)

Rod Stewart - Downtown Train (Tom Waits)

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (Dolly Parton)

The Monkee's - I'm A Believer (Neil Diamond)

UB40 - Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis Presley)

A couple that I thought were really good...

Sinead O'Conner - Sacrifice (Elton John)

Wilson Phillips - Daniel (Elton John)

Alison Krausse - When You Say Nothing At All (Keith Whitley - see above)

Smash Mouth - I’m A Believer (Neil Diamond - see above)

UB40 - Red Red Wine (Neil Diamond)

Tuesday's Gone, Gary Rossington w/Metallica, Pepper Keenan, Jerry Cantrell, Jim Martin and + others

5 hours ago, zftcg said:

Bruce, Elvis Costello and others singing "Pretty Woman" with Roy Orbision:

That is a great concert(I own the DVD) my favorite is Move On Down The Line,the Springsteen picking with Orbison and Costello on the keyboards are highlights.

RIP Prince Rogers Nelson :cry:

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

A few that came to mind:

and there we have it!!!   :mad:

Although I personally wouldn't call it ALL-Star I'll never forget Madonna &The Thompson Twins with Steve Stevens and Nile Rodgers covering The Beatles at Live Aid

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

A few that came to mind:

Some where I thought the cover was better than the original...

Elton John - Pinball Wizard (The Who)

Elton John - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (The Beatles)

Ronan Keating - When You Say Nothing At All (Keith Whitley)

Phil Collins - True Colors (Cyndi Lauper)

Rod Stewart - Downtown Train (Tom Waits)

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (Dolly Parton)

The Monkee's - I'm A Believer (Neil Diamond)

UB40 - Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis Presley)

A couple that I thought were really good...

Sinead O'Conner - Sacrifice (Elton John)

Wilson Phillips - Daniel (Elton John)

Alison Krausse - When You Say Nothing At All (Keith Whitley - see above)

Smash Mouth - I’m A Believer (Neil Diamond - see above)

UB40 - Red Red Wine (Neil Diamond)

Point of the thread is all-star collections getting together to perform a cover. You're talking about a related-but-different topic: covers that are better than the original.

Back when I was in college (in the days before iTunes, Spotify and even MP3s) I remember going on a quest to construct a mix tape of songs where the original was less well-known than the original, irrespective of quality. I think I had stuff like Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee", Otis Redding's "Respect" and Irma Thomas' "Time Is on My Side".

And let me tell you, while a few of the originals were better (I really liked Gloria Jones' "Tainted Love" and I think both Bruce's original "Blinded by the Light" as well as Manfred Mann's cover have their virtues), there were plenty of songs where it was very apparent why the cover is more famous. Years later, Malcolm Gladwell did a whole podcast about Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and how Jeff Buckley basically rescued that song from obscurity.

Paul McCartney,Pete Townsend,Robert Plant,Dave Edmunds,John Bonham and more from 1979 :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

and there we have it!!!   :mad:

LOL, sorry.  I just could NEVER get through the S & G version.  I don't even like Disturbed's genre of music either, I just think he/they did a better job.  I'll listen to that version without complaint... I'll leave the room when S & G come on.

40 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Point of the thread is all-star collections getting together to perform a cover. You're talking about a related-but-different topic: covers that are better than the original.

Back when I was in college (in the days before iTunes, Spotify and even MP3s) I remember going on a quest to construct a mix tape of songs where the original was less well-known than the original, irrespective of quality. I think I had stuff like Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee", Otis Redding's "Respect" and Irma Thomas' "Time Is on My Side".

And let me tell you, while a few of the originals were better (I really liked Gloria Jones' "Tainted Love" and I think both Bruce's original "Blinded by the Light" as well as Manfred Mann's cover have their virtues), there were plenty of songs where it was very apparent why the cover is more famous. Years later, Malcolm Gladwell did a whole podcast about Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and how Jeff Buckley basically rescued that song from obscurity.

Sorry, I'm not really into music that much, no intention to get off topic.  I before the clips in this thread, I couldn't name a single incident to which you were talking about.  That's why I threw some of these out there.

Although, I will add this.  A friend told me that a bunch of country music artists did a cover of a Bob Denver song - can't remember which - something about a mountain I think.  I don't listen to music, but I never listen to country.  That is some God awful garbage, sorry, LOL.  I do think Dolly Parton was in that group, if that'll help you find it, maybe on YouTube.

15 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Although, I will add this.  A friend told me that a bunch of country music artists did a cover of a Bob Denver song - can't remember which - something about a mountain I think.  I don't listen to music, but I never listen to country.

If I'm deciphering this right..... :lol:

1 minute ago, nzoner said:

If I'm deciphering this right..... :lol:

LOL, bad English, no? 😀

I just meant that I don't really listen to music often... but when I do, it's NEVER country music.

I did find the video I believe my friend was referring to.  I think this is actually on topic.  If not, I suck.  LOL

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, bad English, no? 😀

I was right in comprehending it as John Denver ;)

1 minute ago, nzoner said:

I was right in comprehending it as John Denver ;)

HAHAHA!!! John Denver!  That's right!!  Wow.

Wait, who's Bob Denver??  😮 

So, I did watch the video, I'm not sure that counts as it seems like there were multiple songs in there.  I only recognized a few people... Dolly, Hootie, Willie Nelson, and while I don't know his name, I recognized the guy who does the American Idol... or one of those hack singer show's.  I did see a guy who looked like Paul Walker though.  I don't think it was him.  I'm pretty sure he died before this, and I don't think he was a singer.  He comes in at the 3:12 mark.

"My Back Pages" from Dylan's 30th anniversary concert. Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Pettty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton and George Harrison. Mellencamps version of "Like A Rolling Stone" from that same concert is stellar as well. 

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

HAHAHA!!! John Denver!  That's right!!  Wow.

Wait, who's Bob Denver??  😮 

On 9/10/2019 at 1:48 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Sorry, I'm not really into music that much, no intention to get off topic.  Although, I will add this.  A friend told me that a bunch of country music artists did a cover of a Bob Denver song - can't remember which - something about a mountain I think.  I don't listen to music, but I never listen to country.  

Ah yes I remember it well, it was a theme song to a TV Show called Gilligan's Mountain. 🤓😬🤡

On 9/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, Big Guy said:

Ah yes I remember it well, it was a theme song to a TV Show called Gilligan's Mountain. 🤓😬🤡

I believe the song was called "Uncharted Island High"

• Haha 1

Still don't think anything can ever top "While My Guitar", but just discovered a strong contender:

Here is an article explaining how it all came together, and how they recorded with different musicians in different locations: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/robbie-robertson-the-weight-ringo-starr-video-885980/?fbclid=IwAR2-0Afw5ePHUvxfHm3-CKzGgfUV-uPRSNj6u164axNSvrSQBrb3pW9OIjY

Apparently, they've done similar projects with "Redemption Song", "What's Going On?" and "All Along the Watchtower"

8 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Still don't think anything can ever top "While My Guitar", but just discovered a strong contender:

Here is an article explaining how it all came together, and how they recorded with different musicians in different locations: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/robbie-robertson-the-weight-ringo-starr-video-885980/?fbclid=IwAR2-0Afw5ePHUvxfHm3-CKzGgfUV-uPRSNj6u164axNSvrSQBrb3pW9OIjY

Apparently, they've done similar projects with "Redemption Song", "What's Going On?" and "All Along the Watchtower"

That......was awesome 

20 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Son.... 

That's the content I'm here for..  Wow.

• Thanks 1

I'm not a fan of covers unless for some reason an established artist puts out a complete album / project of nothing but covers. Absolutely love Bowie "Pin Ups" album

as well as Rush's "Feedback" album

OK, finding that sent me down a Playing for Change YouTube rabbit hole. Musically speaking, I think "All Along the Watchtower" is the best one I watched ...

But I defy anyone to watch this version "Everyday People" and not break into a wide smile. It's a Keith Haring cartoon come to life:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

What band was Robbie Robertson in?  :unsure:

exactly, "The Band" of course.

on a related note, I can't stand that backwoods rednekkid overrated song