Sign in to follow this  
NAn

Is Sammy Watkins FOR REAL?!

projected out to 80recs that's 80tds/5400yds!

< first 'for real' thread of 2019 :pointstosky: >

It's not that Sammy didn't perform well before, just a lot of mouths to feed.  Sammy appears healthier and better prepared this year, but I still think you have up and down games because there will be games where hill blows up, games where kelce goes off, and games where the RB goes off.

3 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

It's not that Sammy didn't perform well before, just a lot of mouths to feed.  Sammy appears healthier and better prepared this year, but I still think you have up and down games because there will be games where hill blows up, games where kelce goes off, and games where the RB goes off.

I hear ya, I'll downgrade my projections to 60tds/3000yds!

He's always had some big games like this. It's nothing new. Consistency is the problem. If he is that, then he'll be a top notch WR like he was supposed to be.

Don 't be surprised though, if he tweaks a hammy in practice this week and it takes him 5 games to match this first half today.

Damn I was going with the bored running joke of overreaction threads this time of year, but maybe my projected numbers could be on point!

Wow I just saw his stat line. 

Now that’s been a long time in coming.  

He has the talent of course, and now if his head is on straight he could be a great draft pick based on value. 

Congrats to those that drafted him, and expecally of you started him. 

11 hours ago, polecatt said:

He's always had some big games like this. It's nothing new. Consistency is the problem.

:thumbsup:   This is true.

hes had some monster games in the past as well.    its tough to trust him based on his past record of doing this, and then disappearing for a couple of games.

frustrating.

I figure eventually he may put it together.   emphasis on the word may.

Mercole Hardman may be in line to get some additional work with Tyreek being out "multiple weeks.."

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

:thumbsup:   This is true.

hes had some monster games in the past as well.    its tough to trust him based on his past record of doing this, and then disappearing for a couple of games.

frustrating.

I figure eventually he may put it together.   emphasis on the word may.

I think he's good to go until Hill is back in the lineup.  Then back to the inconsistency, but who knows for certain.

Watkins has a history of really good games, followed by time on the injury report and sitting on the bench.  I would expect him to do ok this season as his guaranteed money with the Chiefs will be gone after the season, meaning he will need to perform well to maintain his job. 

The other thing to note here is that this was against the Jaguars.  On the last TD it looked like Watkins had just killed Jalen Ramsey's kitten from his reaction.  Ramsey is a legitimate shut-down corner and the Jags were getting a ton of pressure on Mahomes.  Never say never, and I haven't yet seen the Raiders play but my guess is the Chiefs will have just an easy of a time hanging 40 pts and 500 yards on the Fade as they did this week.  I wouldn't expect the Chiefs to slow down anytime soon, as well as Watkins as long as he stays healthy.  There were many praises regarding Watkins conditioning and shape heading into this season.

The other thing I noticed is that both teams were playing in what felt like 120 degrees on the field, which was evidenced by the fact they showed a thermometer during the game.  Many Jags were going out with cramps and/ or looking gassed.  It seemed like the Chiefs were better conditioned for the game, which hopefully helps them throughout the season.

The first TD where he caught the crossing route and then juked the defender to get loose... did anyone notice which defender? Yup, Jalen Ramsey. The most promising thing going forward is 2 of those TDs were against Ramsey in some fashion.

This guy frustrates me. He was one of the handful of receivers coming outta college that I had put a double * by his name, as a guy that I believed would be a dominant FF WR. Have drafted him every year, but injuries and inefficiency never allowed him to thrive.

I finally give up on him this year, and he looks like vintage Sammy Watkins in week 1. Will it last? Hard to say....but the talent has ALWAYS been there. At least I have The Hard Man as an upside flier in all leagues.

Luckily, I hadn't quite given up on Derrick "Five-Head" Henry yet.....

15 hours ago, Beyond Chaos said:

I think he's good to go until Hill is back in the lineup.  Then back to the inconsistency, but who knows for certain.

Perhaps but his inconsistency has been due in large part to always being injured or knicked up.

If he can avoid that, I think he flourishes but it's a big if

He’s diffently a tough one to trust based on his inability to stay healthy enough to play. 

• Like 1

I think it's a situation where if you have Watkins, you have absolutely no choice but to start him.  That Chiefs offense will be just fine without Hill.  Hardman, McCoy, Williams, Kelce, Watkins....  IF Watkins is fully healthy, he can burn just about any CB in the league.  The talent is there, the questions have always been the injuries and the desire.  If you have him, congratulations for taking the risk and keep him in your lineup until he gets injured again. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 4:05 AM, IGotWorms said:

I wish I had him 

You won’t when he’s hurt in a couple weeks. I don’t think he’s played a full season in his entire career. Maybe 1, but I’m too lazy to check. 

3 minutes ago, donkeyjotes said:

You won’t when he’s hurt in a couple weeks. I don’t think he’s played a full season in his entire career. Maybe 1, but I’m too lazy to check. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/sammywatkins/2543457/careerstats

Only in his rookie season has he started 16 games.  He did get in 15 games for the Rams a couple years ago, but that stat is misleading.  Out of those 15 games he started, I believe he missed about 1/3 of the Quarters in said games.  Still though, have to start him if you got him.  When healthy, he's pretty legit. 

1 hour ago, donkeyjotes said:

Yeah but maybe this is the year. Sky is the limit if so

I don't watch much college football.  With that being said:  a Buffalo scout was showing game tape to the GM the year Watkins was drafted.  There were a couple of plays, that after viewing them, the GM was like "Sold!"  I think BUF moved up to get him.

One of the CBS crew said they visited the Chiefs training camp, and they said Watkins was lighting it up.  He said it was the best he's ever felt, since being in the pros.  *If* he can stay healthy, the sky is the limit with Mahomes.

Congrats to those taking the risk, drafting him.  You got "the biscuit!!"

If Watkins can stay on the field he can produce.  

Talent isn’t his problem. 

Being healthy enough to play as been. 

Hes in a great spot. 

And yes congrats to those that own him.  

It's kind of funny for the people drafting over the summer who crowed about getting Hill in the 18th round because they just "knew" he wouldn't be suspended, and kind of poetic justice for those who drafted Watkins during those weeks as well.

I read that KC staff identified specifically what was causing him to get injured so much.  Didn't go into details.  One of my sons has bad feet, caused issues with his ankles, knees and particularly shins (series of stress fractures). Getting him inserts for his shoes fixed everything.  Sometimes these guys have a leg that's a little shorter, a weird gait to their walk, scoliosis, etc that doesn't bother them but causes all sorts of issues.  I don't know what they did, but that was unlike any Sammy Watkins i've seen since college.  

I think it’s because he plays in the nfl.