Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DEEZNUTS

Week 1 Waiver Wire Targets

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, fast80 said:

The only thing I would be going after is the Pats Def.  Its week one and every year, year after year, there are those players who blow up in the first week and then do nothing. Wasted WW pick. Let everyone pick those rookies, and then scoop in and take the players that will matter. After one week the only thing I see as real money is the Pats Def.

I drafted them in every league I start a D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a hard time deciding between Malcolm Brown and Chris Thompson.

Thompson has a reliable role in that offense, that when behind (which will likely be often) will throw the ball his way a lot. Biggest concern is his durability.

Brown is in the juggernaut offense, but I could see his use fluctuating greatly week to week. Huge upside if Gurley misses time.

Gio Bernard is less exciting, kind of a blend of these two guys, catching the ball and offering three down ability. If Mixon were out a few weeks, he'd be above these two. But it sounds like Mixon will go this week. 

Then there's Carlos Hyde, who looks like he has a role in that Texans offense. He doesn't offer the upside, but might be a reliable spot play through the whole season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Candygram4Mongo said:

Having a hard time deciding between Malcolm Brown and Chris Thompson.

Thompson has a reliable role in that offense, that when behind (which will likely be often) will throw the ball his way a lot. Biggest concern is his durability.

Brown is in the juggernaut offense, but I could see his use fluctuating greatly week to week. Huge upside if Gurley misses time.

Gio Bernard is less exciting, kind of a blend of these two guys, catching the ball and offering three down ability. If Mixon were out a few weeks, he'd be above these two. But it sounds like Mixon will go this week. 

Then there's Carlos Hyde, who looks like he has a role in that Texans offense. He doesn't offer the upside, but might be a reliable spot play through the whole season. 

Of Brown, Thompson and Hyde, I'd go with Hyde as the most consistent option, but in a PPR league, you couldn't be faulted for going with Thompson.

Brown would be difficult to start on a regular basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 7:02 AM, jrokh said:

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'm not looking for a waiver guy that went off in week 1 that I have to compete with my whole league for (we do auction). I'm looking for a guy who didn't go off, but might in week 2. Anyone have an idea for a guy like that?

Perhaps Eli?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DEEZNUTS said:

 

One reason these guys may be available is if your league limits roster spots. I'm in a 12 team league with only 15 roster spots per team, and we limit the amount of each position that can be drafted. We then open it up once the draft is complete and waivers begin. Keeps the free agent pool stocked and makes waivers more lively and wire priority position more relevant. Just sayin.

I wouldn't mind a more lively waiver wire.  I only have one league though where I'll actually be able to obtain someone on the wire.  The others are so deep there just isn't anyone available.  In my dynasty leagues, we will make polls throughout the year of things we want to vote on after the season.  Two years ago we voted to expand the rosters.  Last offseason we voted to add additional taxi & IR slots.  The rosters are so deep now that anyone on the waiver wire is either an unknown, or they just came off the practice squad.  In one of them, we have a 25 man roster, not including the IR & Taxi spots.  It's hard to even get a backup kicker in that one.  I only have 22 players on my active roster, two on IR and 3 on my Taxi Squad.  There wasn't anyone left on the wire worth adding to my team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably dumb, but I'm grabbing Josh Allen... I have no confidence in Jameis... I'll hold for a few weeks, but for right now Allen is one of the higher floored QBs left on my league's WW. He gets the Giants who looked awful, should be good for a spot start this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With you about picking up Allen. 

Im going to even start him this weekend. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weepaws said:

With you about picking up Allen. 

Im going to even start him this weekend. 

 

Likewise, grabbed and started...  I'm feeling pretty confident that he will eclipse the 13.22 Jameis put up last night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 12:39 AM, AxeElf said:

Blinders look good on you; especially those extra-wide ones.

Blinders?????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, fast80 said:

Blinders?????????????

They are those things that they put on a horse's face so that they can't see anything to either side of them.  It keeps them focused on what is right in front of them.   I was using "blinders" as a metaphor when you said that the only player on the waiver wire that was worth picking up was the Patriots' Defense (assuming that they would be available on the waiver wire in the first place).

I think this week showed that there were a lot of quality pickups available on the waiver wire in Week 1, and to say that the Pats' D was the only one worth anything would be a case of having blinders on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

They are those things that they put on a horse's face so that they can't see anything to either side of them.  It keeps them focused on what is right in front of them.   I was using "blinders" as a metaphor when you said that the only player on the waiver wire that was worth picking up was the Patriots' Defense (assuming that they would be available on the waiver wire in the first place).

I think this week showed that there were a lot of quality pickups available on the waiver wire in Week 1, and to say that the Pats' D was the only one worth anything would be a case of having blinders on.

Its all good. Kinda glad I had those blinders on. 37 points from a defense in ESPN scoring and they were on my waiver wire???? Yeah I'll take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 5:57 AM, oldtimer said:

I love the leagues people have in these forums.  In none of mine are Malcolm Brown, Ronald Jones, Marquise Brown, Terry McLuaurin, Gallup, Metcalf, Ross, Brown, Chark or Hockenson available.  How could some of these guys be available in any league?  Hockenson was being drafted in money drafts in the 12th & 13th round as a guy with upside.  Gallup was being taken in the 9th/10th last Tuesday/Wednesday.  Jones, McLaurin, Brown & Chark all went as late round fliers, but they were still drafted.  Ross' ADP went up dramatically after the Green injury, making him a 2nd to last round flier.  I'm not even certain if Witten is available in any of my leagues, but I assume he is. 

Why would Jones II have been drafted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, oldtimer said:

With limited roster space, it makes sense, especially if no one is taking backups.  We have large rosters in our redrafts.  In the dynasty, it's even better.  22 man main roster, 3 taxi squad and 3 IR slots.  The devy picks do not count against your roster limit until they actually get drafted.  In the offseason, we can carry up to 25 on the main roster and do not have to take anyone off IR/TS until the day prior to the first game of the year.  It makes the game about as real as possible, however, there are literally zero guys on the waiver wire worth looking at.  I don't believe I used the waiver at all last year except to swap out my kickers when the bye weeks came. 

If you are suggesting leagues with more roster spots, ie. 22-25 makes your league credible, you couldn’t be more wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

If you are suggesting leagues with more roster spots, ie. 22-25 makes your league credible, you couldn’t be more wrong.

My leagues with the 22-25 man rosters are my Dynasty Leagues.  We use the large rosters to more resemble the real NFL.  You can't simply pick a starter up on waivers in the NFL, so why would you want to do so in a Dynasty League that is supposed to resemble an NFL Franchise?  My redrafts have large rosters as well, but they aren't quite this large.  My personal reason for liking the larger rosters is it definitely favors those of us that pay attention to football year 'round.  A newbie could win the league as easy as any of us with some luck, but rarely do I see one that knows too many players outside of the top 12(ish) rounds.  I've never said the larger leagues are better, simply my preference.  Finding studs on the waiver wire just doesn't happen often in the NFL, and I prefer a more realistic game.  It isn't about whether the league is credible to someone else, it's just a preference.  To be blunt though, most people who go from playing in a 14/15 round redraft to a 20+ round redraft don't do so well.  The waiver wire is dead and the trades in these league typically favor one owner as the other is trying to make a deal out of pure need, just like the NFL. 

As for Ronald Jones:  He was a late round flier in every league I drafted in.  If you're asking why someone would take him, I'll ask you a question;  Is he not worth taking a shot in the dark on in a 20 man roster in a redraft?  Who else are you going to pluck in the 18th round (defenses go earlier, sometimes much earlier) that has his upside after the top 220 players are drafted?  There are literally no players left, so of course he's going to be drafted.  He may not have even been drafted as someone the owner had any hopes for at all, but again, who are you taking over him when all that is left are 4th/5th string WR's and 3rd/4th string RB's?  I watched as some owners would take guys who ended up not even making rosters over Jones.  I could also ask why people drafted D. Williams in the late first and early second.  Why they passed on Dalvin Cook.  Why they selected Winston as the 5th QB off the board.  Why was E. Sanders overlooked until the 10th round in nearly every single draft?  Why did D. Johnson go in the first round?  Why were Diggs & Thielen drafted so early?  There are tons of questions that could be asked about any player or any draft, so singling out just Jones, in a large redraft, is asking a question in a vacuum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

My leagues with the 22-25 man rosters are my Dynasty Leagues.  We use the large rosters to more resemble the real NFL.  You can't simply pick a starter up on waivers in the NFL, so why would you want to do so in a Dynasty League that is supposed to resemble an NFL Franchise?  My redrafts have large rosters as well, but they aren't quite this large.  My personal reason for liking the larger rosters is it definitely favors those of us that pay attention to football year 'round.  A newbie could win the league as easy as any of us with some luck, but rarely do I see one that knows too many players outside of the top 12(ish) rounds.  I've never said the larger leagues are better, simply my preference.  Finding studs on the waiver wire just doesn't happen often in the NFL, and I prefer a more realistic game.  It isn't about whether the league is credible to someone else, it's just a preference.  To be blunt though, most people who go from playing in a 14/15 round redraft to a 20+ round redraft don't do so well.  The waiver wire is dead and the trades in these league typically favor one owner as the other is trying to make a deal out of pure need, just like the NFL. 

As for Ronald Jones:  He was a late round flier in every league I drafted in.  If you're asking why someone would take him, I'll ask you a question;  Is he not worth taking a shot in the dark on in a 20 man roster in a redraft?  Who else are you going to pluck in the 18th round (defenses go earlier, sometimes much earlier) that has his upside after the top 220 players are drafted?  There are literally no players left, so of course he's going to be drafted.  He may not have even been drafted as someone the owner had any hopes for at all, but again, who are you taking over him when all that is left are 4th/5th string WR's and 3rd/4th string RB's?  I watched as some owners would take guys who ended up not even making rosters over Jones.  I could also ask why people drafted D. Williams in the late first and early second.  Why they passed on Dalvin Cook.  Why they selected Winston as the 5th QB off the board.  Why was E. Sanders overlooked until the 10th round in nearly every single draft?  Why did D. Johnson go in the first round?  Why were Diggs & Thielen drafted so early?  There are tons of questions that could be asked about any player or any draft, so singling out just Jones, in a large redraft, is asking a question in a vacuum. 

Everyone has their own preferences, but it is FANTASY football after all. Nothing about it resembles NFL management.

I would be more impressed in your deep rosters if you played IDP. 

In your league, yes I can see why Jones II was drafted, but whether you agree or not I’m telling you that most leagues don’t have that many draft picks/roster spots. Most leagues I’m familiar with have 15-17...22 isn’t even close.

I think leagues no matter how many teams with shorter benches AND FA/WW restrictions are the toughest because it is less of crapshoot...

Ill use the analogy of keno. You prefer to play the max, 20 numbers. I prefer to play 7. In both our games, we can win. But there is a higher probably you will hit a few of those dark horses... sleepers... I’m you will, simply because you have more opportunities to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

Everyone has their own preferences, but it is FANTASY football after all. Nothing about it resembles NFL management.

I would be more impressed in your deep rosters if you played IDP. 

In your league, yes I can see why Jones II was drafted, but whether you agree or not I’m telling you that most leagues don’t have that many draft picks/roster spots. Most leagues I’m familiar with have 15-17...22 isn’t even close.

I think leagues no matter how many teams with shorter benches AND FA/WW restrictions are the toughest because it is less of crapshoot...

Ill use the analogy of keno. You prefer to play the max, 20 numbers. I prefer to play 7. In both our games, we can win. But there is a higher probably you will hit a few of those dark horses... sleepers... I’m you will, simply because you have more opportunities to do so.

I know we aren't actually playing the game, but I was in a league that was about as close as once could get to owning an NFL Franchise.  Large roster, a hard salary cap with player contracts, penalties based upon when you released a player and how you constructed his contract....  It was a very detailed league that lasted for years.  Unfortunately, it was too much like the early years of the salary cap in the NFL.  Some owners could barely put together a roster, and some couldn't even fill their roster slots, as they had not managed their cap well.  It was still my favorite league I've ever been in, but it was much too complicated for someone who just wants to draft and play. 

IDP - I tried one once.  I am not intelligent enough to master drafting on both sides of the ball.  In the draft, I thought keeping my same redraft strategy would work and I could get defensive guys late.  No.  lol  My offense was great, but I didn't understand what Value was in an IDP league.  I drafted my offensive guys entirely too early.  During the draft, I thought it was a dream come true.  There I was with some of the best offensive players you can draft and some guys had not even taken a WR yet.  Well, my ignorance was showing.  My defensive players were outrageously bad.  I finally caught on to how it worked and think I finished with 3 wins that season.  My RB's were great though!  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm new here; do we start different WW threads for each week or just update the title?

Anyway, I definitely see this as a week to find value on the WW but not blow any FAAB/priority (unless you lost Brees/Ben and there are only a couple decent options at QB). I may target Metcalf, DSamuel or Hardman for WR depth, and in another league pick up Gore as a hedge against Singletary's hammy, but I don't view any as must-adds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

IDP - I tried one once.  I am not intelligent enough to master drafting on both sides of the ball. 

I wasn’t suggesting one should engage in IDP, I just assume these leagues have larger rosters.

To be clear...IDP is garbage, and for lonely degenerates who don’t have families or full-time employment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×