Sign in to follow this  
shaabyi

Terry McLaurin

I watched the game and his stats should have included another bomb TD but Case had a bad throw.

What do you guys think?

1. The real deal

2. One week wonder

Shaabyi

he is the real deal.. reports all camp have been that he is has been the best WR in camp. he backed it up yesterday. Now with the Skins O you never really know what you're getting.. but he is at least a WR3 at this point with upside.

Agreed.  He's the real deal.  He was hyped by the national magazines prior to his final year in college as being a late first or early second round NFL draft pick.  I recall reading why he slid, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.  All reports are he's a gem in the making.  If he works out, the Redskins are in luck.  They can use that early 1st rounder next season on some line help. 

If he looked that good with Case Keenum at QB, what's he going to do when he gets his old college QB back (Haskins) back here in a few weeks?

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

If he looked that good with Case Keenum at QB, what's he going to do when he gets his old college QB back (Haskins) back here in a few weeks?

Funny, but in another thread you said he shouldn't have been drafted as he was the 79th ranked WR.  You should really pick one stance and stick with it.  In fact, you have posted 4 times that he shouldn't have been drafted in that thread, yet here you are jumping on the bandwagon?  Nice. 

In fact, this is what you said, even stating people drafting him were "ignorant".  The internet has a word for people like you.  Troll. 

AxeElf    27

• FF Geek
  • AxeElf
  • Members
  • 347 posts
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

If you think McLaurin was 3rd or 4th on the depth chart, maybe you were the one reading the bad magazines?  At least three weeks prior to the season it was well known he would be on the field as much as any other WR on the Redskins and he's obviously the most talented.  Maybe some people stayed away because he's a rookie with a bad QB situation?  I'm not sure.  The point is though that he was a well known commodity and I've not seen him on any waiver wire in a paid league. 

I am fully aware of the size of their fantasy football presence, but I also know they are home to mostly free leagues, or incredibly low entry fees.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with free leagues, but will say they are not nearly the same as a higher dollar paid league.  I played in free leagues when I first started fantasy football.  Midway through the season, half the owners don't bother checking in anymore.  Free leagues attract novices, not $250 entry fee leagues where you are also paying $2 per waiver move (goes to the high score of the week).  The only leagues where some of the above folks were not drafted in were because owners followed whatever list the site was using during their draft.  That's worse than using a magazine. 

Also - Chark was listed as 2nd on his depth chart all preseason if you took Lee out of the equation, and only a novice would think Lee was going to have any value at all this season.  He was the 2nd WR drafted from the Jags (the only 2) in most leagues.  I'm not sure where you come up with either he or McLaurin weren't worth drafting.  I can see not drafting Chark more than McLaurin, but even in a 16/17 team draft, there is plenty of roster room for someone with a ceiling as high as either of these guys had/have. 

Hard to tell if you're just trolling, or badly in need of education, but I tend to assume the best in people, so let's go with the need for education... for now.

McLaurin has climbed the depth chart over the summer, to be sure, but it wasn't that long ago that he was presumed to be 4th behind Richardson, Doctson and Quinn.  When Doctson was released, maybe he became 3rd, or what the heck, even 2nd if you were a fan--but then the rookie/bad QB/poor offense factors all came into play too.  The bottom line is that McLaurin isn't even listed among the top 70 WRs on ESPN's final preseason rankings (9/7)--and that's 5 WRs deep in a 14 team league (or 6 WRs deep in a 12 team league).  In fact, the only Redskins WR listed there at all is Trey Quinn at #67.  So hindsight is 20/20, to be sure, but if you were drafting him before the season started, you were either taking a flyer on a favorite sleeper, or you were drafting ignorant of at least 70 better options.

D.J. Chark?  He doesn't appear among the top 70 either.  He was presumed to be behind Westbrook, Conley and Cole--as well as probably Lee, once he got back up to speed.  He may still fall behind Lee, we don't know yet, but he managed to outplay Cole on the depth chart.  Still, there weren't a lot of people drafting a marginal #3 WR for the Jaguars.

I understand the problems with free leagues, but we're not talking about halfway through the season when people lose interest and drop out; we're not even talking about Week 1--we're talking about players who were DRAFTED.  Most people who drafted had an interest in drafting reasonably well, and even if one or two people in every league didn't, there were another 10 who did.

So if you want to talk about how these players "should" have been drafted, then you're basically saying that at least one person in every league "should" have drafted like a chimp.

Parenthetically, FantasyPros, which goes way deeper than the top 70, has D.J. Chark listed at #79 and Terry McLaurin at #96.

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Funny, but in another thread you said he shouldn't have been drafted as he was the 79th ranked WR.  You should really pick one stance and stick with it.  In fact, you have posted 4 times that he shouldn't have been drafted in that thread, yet here you are jumping on the bandwagon?  Nice. 

FantasyPros says he is the 96th-ranked WR, not me (D.J. Chark was 79th).  He shouldn't have been drafted, but he should be rostered in all leagues after his Week 1 performance.

Is this your first year playing fantasy football or something?  That's why leagues have a waiver wire, so that players who were not considered to be worth rostering before the season starts can be rostered during the season.  Is it so hard to understand that a player should not have been drafted, but should be a waiver wire target after Week 1?

Redskins are trash but conversely the opportunity is there. Not a lot of other talent to overtake or mouths to feed. 

21 hours ago, AxeElf said:

He could be the next Earl Bennett

43 minutes ago, zftcg said:

He could be the next Earl Bennett

Can't help but notice you have a whopping 8 posts and each and every one of them is under a thread where Axe Elf has not only posted, but your posts support whatever his position is.  Hmmmmm…..  Coincidence?  Highly doubtful. 

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Can't help but notice you have a whopping 8 posts and each and every one of them is under a thread where Axe Elf has not only posted, but your posts support whatever his position is.  Hmmmmm…..  Coincidence?  Highly doubtful. 

I just joined today and have no idea who Axe Elf is. I generally don't pay a ton of attention to who I'm responding to, but I realized that the post you were quoting was in response to Axe Elf, and although it was mostly just a joke about the "WR will automatically be good with his college QB" argument, I was actually *disagreeing* with him (I like McLaurin, but not because he and Haskins used to do keg stands together).

Is that really a thing on this board where people create sock puppets to agree with themselves on fantasy football arguments? I can't imagine why anyone would engage in such a colossal waste of time.

1 minute ago, zftcg said:

I just joined today and have no idea who Axe Elf is. I generally don't pay a ton of attention to who I'm responding to, but I realized that the post you were quoting was in response to Axe Elf, and although it was mostly just a joke about the "WR will automatically be good with his college QB" argument, I was actually *disagreeing* with him (I like McLaurin, but not because he and Haskins used to do keg stands together).

Is that really a thing on this board where people create sock puppets to agree with themselves on fantasy football arguments? I can't imagine why anyone would engage in such a colossal waste of time.

Prior to joining, I was a lurker here for a LONG time.  I knew some of the guys that use to post here often.  YES.  It's definitely a thing for someone to come in with an attitude, rile everyone up, get banned or just disappear, and then have a new name pop up with the same old attitude.  lol  It happens.  Sad, but true.  I'm sure some of the older posters here could name plenty of people who have done it.  I can think of a few off the top of my head.  Some people want to pretend they are a fantasy God, and for whatever reason, they come here to do so.  Sometimes it's comical.  We had a guy who was posting as a girl once.  Someone called him/her out on it.  Kinda funny.  I recall another guy who had the EXACT same attitude as someone currently posting here who believes they are never wrong....

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Prior to joining, I was a lurker here for a LONG time.  I knew some of the guys that use to post here often.  YES.  It's definitely a thing for someone to come in with an attitude, rile everyone up, get banned or just disappear, and then have a new name pop up with the same old attitude.  lol  It happens.  Sad, but true.  I'm sure some of the older posters here could name plenty of people who have done it.  I can think of a few off the top of my head.  Some people want to pretend they are a fantasy God, and for whatever reason, they come here to do so.  Sometimes it's comical.  We had a guy who was posting as a girl once.  Someone called him/her out on it.  Kinda funny.  I recall another guy who had the EXACT same attitude as someone currently posting here who believes they are never wrong....

I don't doubt that people do a lot of dumb stuff on forums like these (I mean, we're all wasting a lot of time just by being here). It just seems weird to imagine someone posting, "I like McLaurin on the WW" and then creating a sock puppet to say, "I agree!" Like, what does that accomplish?

Anyway, I now see that you and AxeElf were getting into it over a few topics. I disagree with you on eight-team leagues being easier, but it's not a hill I'm going to die on, and I don't want to come in here as the new guy dropping troll bombs. 

(For the record, I'm a refuge from another forum that I won't mention here. Never trolled anyone, but I made a few off-color jokes that I didn't think were all that offensive, but the mods didn't like them so they banned me for the rest of the calendar year, which seemed excessive. I actually thought about trying to create another account at the same website, but it felt lame and I figured I'd probably end up doing something else that p'd them off, so I came here. God's honest truth.)

Ehhhh, no worries.  We've all been banned somewhere before.  If it makes you feel better, I was banned on a Christianity Forum.  I had a disagreement with a long time poster and was banned for it.  No harsh words were spoken, just a disagreement over a Bible verse/meaning.  I did the very immature thing of joining again under a different name, stirring up an argument, then getting banned again because of my IP Address.  It was years ago and I honestly regret it.  I'll chalk it up to being young at the time and very immature. 

Troll bombs are ok provided there are some good qualities in a poster too.  I could care less if someone goes off on me if they also provide some information that is useful.  lol  It's the internet.  Everyone is a keyboard warrior, ten feet tall and bulletproof.  I try to not be a jerk, but sometimes another poster will bring out the worst in you.  Axe does that to me as he randomly pops in various threads with no useful information, but will troll the person who created the thread, or someone else. 

1 hour ago, zftcg said:

I just joined today and have no idea who Axe Elf is.

As much as I am flattered by oldtimer's suggestion that the Legend that is Axe Elf might be perpetuated by an army of apprentice imposters, I am equally dismayed by your lack of awareness of the greatest fantasy football player to ever stomp the terra.

Hopefully your ongoing exposure on this site will help to enhance your Elf esteem.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

As much as I am flattered by oldtimer's suggestion that the Legend that is Axe Elf might be perpetuated by an army of apprentice imposters, I am equally dismayed by your lack of awareness of the greatest fantasy football player to ever stomp the terra.

Hopefully your ongoing exposure on this site will help to enhance your Elf esteem.

Ok, so even though you are a giant douche, that was kind of funny. 

25 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

What nfl team did you play for? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You sound like a real DYKWIA 🤣🤣

On 9/9/2019 at 10:21 AM, shaabyi said:

I watched the game and his stats should have included another bomb TD but Case had a bad throw.

What do you guys think?

1. The real deal

2. One week wonder

Shaabyi

I’ll go real deal. They need this guy and he has the goods.

I think his lack of usage in the preseason lulled people into forgetting about him. I did for sure. I also think that his lack of usage in the preseason and his target share in his first game show the coaching staff knew they hit on something. When haskins is put in to throw to his college wr its gonna be a show. 

Lance zuerlin’s report on TM included a scout quote from the Senior Bowl that his route running there looked vastly improved vs his senior year.

1 minute ago, DrG said:

Lance zuerlin’s report on TM included a scout quote from the Senior Bowl that his route running there looked vastly improved vs his senior year.

That may have been the knock on him prior to his Senior year.  I can't remember what the Scouts knocked him down a level for, but this sounds correct.  Outside of the one thing, he was considered a potential 1st to 2nd round pick by some.  The talent was there and from what I read, he can run with any DB.  I hope he does well. 

I was able to snag him in both my leagues.  Hope he is serviceable all season and can provide solid WR2 numbers.

The part that got me was them asking him to run the different parts of the route tree already. That typically takes some getting used to and if he is already picking up on that by the time haskins takes over they can hit the ground running together. Haskins has a cannon and terry has wheels. It could be a Mahomes to hill connection. A wr that can burn the corners and a qb that can bomb the ball. Mclauren also played 93% of the snaps. So he is going to be in the game on almost every offensive play. 

It was the spring of 2018, and there Terry McLaurin went again, running pass routes through the empty silence of Ohio State’s indoor football building. Before him wobbled a tall, red tackling dummy with protruding fake arms. A few yards away whirred a pitching machine. A graduate assistant fed footballs into the machine’s wheels until they spat out with a thwuck! that echoed off the walls.

What had the school’s coaches said was his weakness? Contested catches? Those plays they called 50-50 balls, where the receiver and defender both seemed to have the same chance to catch the pass, fighting for control? No way he was going to have any weaknesses, so he had invented a drill in these months before his senior season, pretending the tackling dummy was a defensive back that he had to find a way to twist and jump around to catch the ball as it shot from the machine.

The machine hummed, the balls burst from its spinning wheels and McLaurin kept running into that dummy, catching passes until dozens of those balls had burned into his hands and his arms ached. But he would be back again the next day and the day after that and the day after that, running more drills with the same dummies and the machine, until every weakness was a strength, because someday it would all matter.

Then on Sunday, in his first Washington Redskins game, it did. More than a year after those days alone with the machine and the dummies, a pass was flying toward him and Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Ronald Darby. They jumped together, the ball landing, for an instant, in each of their hands — a classic 50-50 ball — then at the last second, McLaurin yanked it from Darby’s grasp, falling to the ground with the ball pressed against his chest.

And later, after a game in which McLaurin announced his arrival with a dazzling 69-yard touchdown catch, the play he cared about most was the catch that didn’t make the postgame highlights.

“I worked extremely hard behind closed doors to improve that and to see it come to fruition ...” he said, his voice trailing off.

He smiled. It was still early in the week after the whirlwind of a first game, which came after the whirlwind of a summer in which he went from a third-round pick the Redskins hoped could be a good special teams player and reserve wideout into one of their top offensive threats. A few days before they had released Josh Doctson, a wide receiver picked in 2016’s first round, because they thought McLaurin could be good. And then he turned out to be better than they imagined.

For many young players, this would have been a lot, moments for which they weren’t ready. But on the day after announcing himself to the NFL, McLaurin stood in the hall outside the Redskins’ locker room and looked as if he had been waiting forever for this day to come.

“I feel like I have a maturity that is beyond my years. I hear that from a lot of people — my teammates, coaches, not just people here but people in the past,” the 23-year-old said.

Brian Hartline understands. The former Ohio State and later Dolphins and Browns wideout had returned to his college as an interim receivers coach in 2017 and was later promoted to the full-time job in 2018. He was the one who told McLaurin, during one of their many long talks, that he needed to get better at contested catches. He suggested drills, but it was McLaurin who did the work. Hour after hour, alone with that machine and the dummies.

It didn’t take Hartline long to understand McLaurin was different from other college athletes. How many players graduate in 3½ years and decide to stick around for another 1½ because they think it will make them better? How many players at a place such as Ohio State are named team captains not just one year but two?

“He’s very diligent and has a clear focus,” Hartline said.

Hartline spent years in the NFL watching players jog through individual workouts in practice. He hated that. Anyone can catch 100 passes from a pitching machine, he believes. But he likes to re-create situations, making obstacles that replicate the unpredictable things that happen in the games.

“Do you play with your mind?” Hartline asks his players. Often, he asks himself, “How do you create a situation where something occurs in a game and you already did it in the arena?”

In McLaurin, he found he had a player hungry to know, too. He had another drill at Ohio State where he’d stand behind a line of those tackling dummies, unable to see the machine shooting out passes, until at the last minute he’d slap one of the wobbling dummies aside and reach out to grab the ball just as the dummy crashed back into his arm. He did it again and again until he no longer cared if he could barely see the quarterback and defenders knocking into him as he tried to catch the ball.

“People think you drop the ball because of your hands,” McLaurin said. “Mostly it’s your eyes. You got to train your eyes. Rarely do you catch the ball cleanly.”

When the pro scouts came this past winter, they brought a list of the things they were sure McLaurin couldn’t do. He was fast, they said, but his routes weren’t perfect. They didn’t think he could block. He wasn’t great at those contested catches. Hartline listened, and then he laughed.

“I can’t tell you what he can’t do well,” he kept telling the scouts. “I can’t tell you he can’t catch. I can’t tell you he can’t run. I can’t tell you he can’t block. I can’t tell you he isn’t smart. I can’t tell you he doesn’t work hard.”

What about this did they not understand?

So far, the scouts with doubts look wrong. Two days before the Redskins’ first game, offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell was talking about McLaurin and the way he runs his routes.

“I think the biggest thing is just the details,” O’Connell said.

The routes that Washington’s receivers run often start the same but split into different directions. There’s a lot to know, and everything has to be precise.

“The detail he takes [from] the meeting room to the practice field and the game field allows us to ask him to run various parts of the route tree,” O’Connell adds.

Standing in the hallway outside the Redskins locker room this week, McLaurin said that worrying about the details was easy. Everything he knows about work and diligence and desire came from his parents, Terry Sr. and Grace. His father sells cars back home in Indianapolis, which is a grind in itself. If you don’t sell any cars, you don’t make any money — and the only way to sell cars is to always be in the dealership, ready when the next customer walks through the door.

McLaurin grew up watching this hustle, his father leaving early and coming home late. He noticed that as his father became more successful there was money for private schools for him and his sister, and then college tuition for his sister after he got a scholarship to Ohio State.

“They taught me faith and hard work,” he said. “If you have those two things, you can do anything.”

Then on Sunday he was in the place he always imagined, on an NFL field for the first time, and everything seemed normal. The stadium felt smaller than the one at Ohio State. He ran past the Eagles defenders the way he blew by defensive backs in college games. He had five catches for 125 yards and the long touchdown, and while that seemed like a lot to everyone else, it was what he expected to do.

He had put in the work, hadn’t he? He doesn’t want to sound cocky, he said, because his parents told him to always be humble. And while humble is hard when you’re an NFL receiver, he does not like bragging.

But he is sure there is a reward for all his time spent trying to create an unexpected moment that others might not have imagined, so that when that situation comes, he will be the one who is least surprised.

“I try to go about my life on a consistent basis so everything else can fall in line, so I’m not scrambling,” he said. “The way I study my plays, the way I do my routine outside of football, the way I try to have balance in my life — my family, my friends — it really allows me to mitigate the crazy things that happen.

“Obviously, not everything is going to go as you planned,” he added.

Which is why you spend hours and hours trying to invent those instances when it won’t.

• Like 1

Was week 1 an aberration? Perhaps....but I'm always looking for that next OBJ, so I grabbed him everywhere I could.

OBJ was the 11th pick in the draft. McLaurin the 76th. History tells us that Marquise Brown is far more likely to be "that next OBJ". Not saying one shouldn't take WR fliers if you have the opportunity and bench space, but pump the brakes on the OBJ comparisons.

7 minutes ago, jrokh said:

OBJ was the 11th pick in the draft. McLaurin the 76th. History tells us that Marquise Brown is far more likely to be "that next OBJ". Not saying one shouldn't take WR fliers if you have the opportunity and bench space, but pump the brakes on the OBJ comparisons.

Yeah, and OBJ only ran a 4.43 40.  With McLaurin's 4.35 speed, he's more like Tyreek Hill, with Davante Adams' size.

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

OBJ was the 11th pick in the draft. McLaurin the 76th.

5 minutes ago, jrokh said:

pump the brakes on the OBJ comparisons.

Not talking about draft stock or literal player similarities. Talking only about potential FF production that rarely does occur from a rookie WR. 

Then Marquise Brown should be the guy you are grabbing wherever you can, as his odds are much better than McLaurin's

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

Then Marquise Brown should be the guy you are grabbing wherever you can, as his odds are much better than McLaurin's

I've grabbed both were I could.....

7 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yeah, and OBJ only ran a 4.43 40.  With McLaurin's 4.35 speed, he's more like Tyreek Hill, with Davante Adams' size.

40 time doesn't correlate with production.. Just ask Ross on Cinci...

9 minutes ago, jrokh said:

40 time doesn't correlate with production.. Just ask Ross on Cinci...

We were correlating players, not production.  Being the 11th vs the 76th pick in the draft doesn't necessarily correlate with production, either.

As rookies I believe it does. Regardless OBJ was almost an outlier. Expecting a rookie WR to compare to his production is unrealistic 

4 minutes ago, jrokh said:

As rookies I believe it does. Regardless OBJ was almost an outlier. Expecting a rookie WR to compare to his production is unrealistic 

Buy the rumor sell the news. I am gonna start him over Westbrook as my #3. Keenum/haskins will be more productive than minshaw. In a league with long yardage bonuses he scored 33 points. Had he not been overthrown on the long td he would have scored 50. Ill take that behind hopkins and lockett any day. 

19 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Regardless OBJ was almost an outlier. Expecting a rookie WR to compare to his production is unrealistic 

That's why he's "always looking" for the next OBJ.  If OBJs were common, he wouldn't have to look very long.

• Thanks 1

Also by now i think its pretty clear they realized what they had early on in camp with him. They did not use him in preseason not because he was hurt but because they didn't want to risk injury and show their new toy off. 

24 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Buy the rumor sell the news. I am gonna start him over Westbrook as my #3. Keenum/haskins will be more productive than minshaw. In a league with long yardage bonuses he scored 33 points. Had he not been overthrown on the long td he would have scored 50. Ill take that behind hopkins and lockett any day. 

You should play him over Westbrook. I am not suggesting he doesn't have value. I am suggesting he won't be anywhere near as good as OBJ was his rookie years. If his owners want to indulge in delusions of grandeur, by all means, have at it...

17 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

That's why he's "always looking" for the next OBJ.  If OBJs were common, he wouldn't have to look very long.

OBJ's are as common as Haley's comet. They should only be looked for every 70 years or so...

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

You should play him over Westbrook. I am not suggesting he doesn't have value. I am suggesting he won't be anywhere near as good as OBJ was his rookie years. If his owners want to indulge in delusions of grandeur, by all means, have at it...

I can meet ya in the middle. He won't be obj as long as keenum is tossing him the ball. If they lose the next game its gonna be hard to keep haskins out. If he comes in all bets are off.  Haskins has a cannon. The skins have an old man running the balll. It sets up to a lot of passing and they already have a connection from college.