Sign in to follow this  
shaabyi

Terry McLaurin

If Haskins gets put in with their current crummy Oline, he will get pulverized. He is not mobile and made a lot of bad decisions in preseason whenever there was pressure, which he rarely had to deal with at Ohio State. If I'm a McLaurin owner I'm hoping Haskins never plays this year

30 minutes ago, jrokh said:

If Haskins gets put in with their current crummy Oline, he will get pulverized. He is not mobile and made a lot of bad decisions in preseason whenever there was pressure, which he rarely had to deal with at Ohio State. If I'm a McLaurin owner I'm hoping Haskins never plays this year

Fun Fact. The only black qb that is not mobile is Steve McNair. 

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

Fun Fact. The only black qb that is not mobile is Steve McNair. 

Ja'marcus Russell?

1 minute ago, Jedi Sensei said:

Ja'marcus Russell?

I forgot jafatty 

8 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I forgot jafatty 

You also forgot Byron Leftwich. McNair was more mobile than Haskins....

Time will tell with TM but if this article accurately reflects his work ethic, he’s a few steps ahead of a lot of other players.

1 hour ago, SexyRexy said:

Mclaurin wr2 rest of way

I'll buy that for a waiver wire pickup 

Who was that guy who posted I shouldn't have drafted him?  lol

McNair was one of the best scrambling QB's in the NCAA.  Had the guy had a coach who wasn't an idiot, who knows how good he could have been in the NFL.  After years of having Jeff Fisher here in St. Louis, I have no respect for that guy.

Haskins may not be mobile, but he has a cannon and knows McLaurin.  I can see them being a great tandem, but not until Haskins gets his feet wet.  They'd be absolutely nuts to put him behind that line right now.  Let Keenum take the beating this season and put in Haskins next year. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

They'd be absolutely nuts to put him behind that line right now.  Let Keenum take the beating this season and put in Haskins next year. 

Skins fan for a long time, including the circus of the last 20 years.  After 5 games, if we’re sitting at 1-4 or 0-5, Gruden will start getting “encouragement” from the front office to start playing Haskins.

1 hour ago, makindollaz said:

Skins fan for a long time, including the circus of the last 20 years.  After 5 games, if we’re sitting at 1-4 or 0-5, Gruden will start getting “encouragement” from the front office to start playing Haskins.

That's a shame though.  We've seen too many immobile QB's get their careers ruined by taking weekly beatings behind bad lines.  I'm not a believer Haskins is the "future" in Washington, but still don't want to see him get hurt.  I truly think the best thing for him is to sit out this entire year and learn.  He'll be learning a new playbook next season anyway, which will make his job even more difficult. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Who was that guy who posted I shouldn't have drafted him?

I don't think anyone would suggest that 3rd string rookie players for bad offenses shouldn't have been drafted in those leagues of yours with 30-player rosters, but in most typical 10-12 team leagues with 15-18 player rosters, McLaurin should not have been drafted.

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I don't think anyone would suggest that 3rd string rookie players for bad offenses shouldn't have been drafted in those leagues of yours with 30-player rosters, but in most typical 10-12 team leagues with 15-18 player rosters, McLaurin should not have been drafted.

I drafted Chark... working out so far... although I suppose he's not a rookie...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rallo said:

I drafted Chark... working out so far

Again, in a typical league with typical rosters, that was a drafting error.

And it's a drafting error even if it works out in your favor, just like drawing to an inside straight is an error--even if sometimes it hits.

In fantasy football, as in poker, sometimes making the wrong decision works out well--that's what keeps the pool stocked with fish.

52 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

And it's a drafting error even if it works out in your favor, just like drawing to an inside straight is an error--even if sometimes it hits.

In fantasy football, as in poker, sometimes making the wrong decision works out well--that's what keeps the pool stocked with fish.

We must have had seriously different rankings.  I had Chark as the clear #2 guy behind Westbrook in Jacksonville.  Lee was injured in college, often, and I was fortunate enough to let the guy in front of me draft him in a dynasty rookie draft.  I was "stuck" with Allen Robinson.  Both went to Jacksonville, but Lee was considered a future #1 type.  I never bought the hype that Lee would be back in 2019, and most certainly not that he would be a playmaker.  I'll say the same thing about him I said about Guice;  He needs a full year off to rehab his lower body and build up some strength.  In the case of Lee, it's too late.  He will absolutely never be the guy they were hoping for. 

I also had McLaurin as the 1a to Richardson playing the 1b role in Washington.  Neither are truly the top dog, but both are going to get ample opportunity with downfield throws.  I get what you are saying, but even if I had only a 15 man roster, I'd have taken a swing on him with a late pick.  McLaurin wasn't an unknown.  He was discussed quite a bit during the NFL Draft as a guy with #1 potential.  With McLovin (McLaurin), I was assuming WA would be playing from behind quite a bit and he could rack up some decent garbage time numbers.  It wasn't a stretch at all to draft him. 

I should stop drafting WR's in the early rounds altogether.  My early guys are in trouble.  In my redrafts, I had Ju-Ju in two large entry fee leagues and thought he was a steal for where I got him in the 2nd.  We shall see, but it's not looking so good. 

I know you haven't read my posts over the time I've been here, but finding guys that "may" pan out has been one of the very few things I'm good at.  I don't consider myself to be great at drafting, or even in trades.  For whatever reason though, I tend to do extremely well with my late round picks.  I posted that everyone should draft E. Sanders as he was going in the 10th round.  The thread is still on page 4.  He was my undervalued player of the year.  Fortunately, I have him in every league as I took him in the 9th.  Too bad many of the other players are now injured though.  lol 

Anyway, if you would like, a serious offer here, I'll gladly explain how I find my late round gems.  It has helped several people here and it works.  Time consuming, but it works. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

So by this logic, with the last flier in the draft, a FF player should stick to the status quo and draft a player like Sanu, Humphries, Amendola, Albert Wilson or some other veteran to rot on their bench rather than a 2nd year, freakish talent that could actually crack their starting lineup?

22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I get what you are saying, but even if I had only a 15 man roster, I'd have taken a swing on him with a late pick.

1 minute ago, rallo said:

So by this logic, with the last flier in the draft, a FF player should stick to the status quo and draft a player like Sanu, Humphries, Amendola, Albert Wilson or some other veteran to rot on their bench rather than a 2nd year, freakish talent that could actually crack their starting lineup?

I will never scold anyone for spending a (one) late-round pick on a flier that's near and dear to their heart--after all, everyone is going to need someone to drop when the waiver wire calls--but to say that any of those marginal lottery tickets "should" have been drafted is just not true.

Anyone can start fast of course. But they seem to be getting him involved a lot which is gonna lead to chances. 

Since 1996, only four wide receivers have totalled more receiving yards in their first two NFL games than McLaurin. The four? Anquan Boldin, Marquise Brown, Stefon Diggs, and Will Fuller. To put into perspective, both Randy Moss (184) and DeAndre Hopkins (183) had fewer receiving yards in his first two games than McLaurin has (189).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

I will never scold anyone for spending a (one) late-round pick on a flier that's near and dear to their heart--after all, everyone is going to need someone to drop when the waiver wire calls--but to say that any of those marginal lottery tickets "should" have been drafted is just not true.

What if they aren't marginal lottery tickets though?  So, this is how I prepare for my drafts;  I use this really cool thing called the internet.  I do NOT look at fantasy websites, ESPN, NFL.com or any of the others.  Those guys GET PAID to come up with stories and they all sound the same.  "I've heard so-and-so is looking great...."  They don't know.  In fact, those talking heads at ESPN don't know as much as many people on FFToday.  I go to the local newspaper (online) and read what their local sports columnist is saying.  That's where I heard first about McLaurin.  The local guys are honest to a fault and they will criticize a player way more than a national publication will.  You just get the real scoop on things from them.  In Jacksonville, Chark was listed ahead of Westbrook, in terms of a break-out guy, by their NFL sportswriter.  By reading the local papers online, you just get way better, and more useful & honest, information.  There are other guys local papers are hyping right now, big time, but for next season.  If you are in a Dynasty League, this can help you. 

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

What if they aren't marginal lottery tickets though?  So, this is how I prepare for my drafts;  I use this really cool thing called the internet.  I do NOT look at fantasy websites, ESPN, NFL.com or any of the others.  Those guys GET PAID to come up with stories and they all sound the same.  "I've heard so-and-so is looking great...."  They don't know.  In fact, those talking heads at ESPN don't know as much as many people on FFToday.  I go to the local newspaper (online) and read what their local sports columnist is saying.  That's where I heard first about McLaurin.  The local guys are honest to a fault and they will criticize a player way more than a national publication will.  You just get the real scoop on things from them.  In Jacksonville, Chark was listed ahead of Westbrook, in terms of a break-out guy, by their NFL sportswriter.  By reading the local papers online, you just get way better, and more useful & honest, information.  There are other guys local papers are hyping right now, big time, but for next season.  If you are in a Dynasty League, this can help you. 

In the preseason, they're ALL marginal lottery tickets.  Saying they're not, after the fact, is just confirmation bias.  There are plenty of guys (rookies especially) who are reported to "look good in camp" who end up doing nothing--in fact, probably the vast majority of the guys who "look good in camp" end up doing nothing.  For every Terry McLaurin, I can show you half a dozen Keelan Dosses.  Like I said, there's nothing wrong with picking one marginal lottery ticket you like and taking a flier on him, but you can't chase them all (at least not in most normal-sized leagues), and even if you did, you'd end up finishing in the bottom half of your league more often than not.

Also. Im in a competitive money league that has been around for 5 years with some usually heady players. Due to them spending their waiver picks on other people or just saving their spot i ended up with McLaruren from the waiver wire. I didn't even put in a claim for him because I was sure he would be gone. Nope.  So not everyone was sold on him even after game one. 

I look for 2 things in a wr. No matter what level they are. Targets and catches. He not only has both he his misses have come on bombs that can be fixed in practice. 

2 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Also. Im in a competitive money league that has been around for 5 years with some usually heady players. Due to them spending their waiver picks on other people or just saving their spot i ended up with McLaruren from the waiver wire. I didn't even put in a claim for him because I was sure he would be gone. Nope.  So not everyone was sold on him even after game one. 

I look for 2 things in a wr. No matter what level they are. Targets and catches. He not only has both he his misses have come on bombs that can be fixed in practice. 

I'm the total oddball.  When I draft rookies, or 2nd year players, I don't pay any attention to the targets.  The reason is the sample size isn't there.  Also, if a WR creates separation, the targets will begin coming his way. 

Too many rookies were hyped this offseason and McLaurin was just overlooked because he is in such a bad situation.  I do not expect his numbers to be great all season.  Between the rookie wall and teams getting some tape on him, he will likely have some horrible games.  It's sort of nice they are going to be playing catch-up a lot though.  Nothing makes a fantasy owner happier than his WR being down by 21 points in the 2nd half and the opposing defense begins playing Prevent.  lol

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

You shifted the argument from defining drafting Chark or McLaurin as a "drafting error" to taking the stance that others have insisted that they "should have been drafted". IMO these are different qualifiers, and I don't think that anyone here is claiming that McLaurin or Chark should have been drafted in most standard leagues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I drafted him in dynasty.  Anyone that was paying attention in thr offseaon would have read that the redskins were thrilled with him and he was going to to start on the outside.  Reports all said he may be the redskins best WR.  He had the tools coming into the draft.  Then to hear that all offseason long? 

He was definitely not 3rd string.  Hell he wasnt even 2nd string.  He was a starting outside wr.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rallo said:

You shifted the argument from defining drafting Chark or McLaurin as a "drafting error" to taking the stance that others have insisted that they "should have been drafted". IMO these are different qualifiers, and I don't think that anyone here is claiming that McLaurin or Chark should have been drafted in most standard leagues.

Perhaps you simply haven't read the whole conversation, in this thread, or in the "Week 1 Waiver Wire Targets" thread.

I'll excuse your ignorance and get back to the topic at hand.

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I drafted him in dynasty.  Anyone that was paying attention in thr offseaon would have read that the redskins were thrilled with him and he was going to to start on the outside.  Reports all said he may be the redskins best WR.  He had the tools coming into the draft.  Then to hear that all offseason long? 

He was definitely not 3rd string.  Hell he wasnt even 2nd string.  He was a starting outside wr.

Let's forget for the moment that as recently as 9/1, McLaurin was still listed behind Paul Richardson, Trey Quinn, AND Robert Davis on the Redskins' depth chart, and assume that everyone just knew he would be the Redskins' best WR.  Yay!  Last year that was Josh Doctson, and he was good for 44 catches for 532 yards and 2 TDs.

Have you scooped up the Dolphins' best WR yet?

57 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Perhaps you simply haven't read the whole conversation, in this thread, or in the "Week 1 Waiver Wire Targets" thread.

Let's forget for the moment that as recently as 9/1, McLaurin was still listed behind Paul Richardson, Trey Quinn, AND Robert Davis on the Redskins' depth chart, and assume that everyone just knew he would be the Redskins' best WR.  Yay!  Last year that was Josh Doctson, and he was good for 44 catches for 532 yards and 2 TDs.

You do you brother. Parting thought: I've never seen anyone devote so much time and energy into showing fantasy players why they SHOULDN'T have drafted a WR who's doing well... 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rallo said:

You do you brother. Parting thought: I've never seen anyone devote so much time and energy into showing fantasy players why they SHOULDN'T have drafted a WR who's doing well... 😉

Agreed.  I don't understand the argument here.  ZERO depth charts are set during the preseason.  Hyde was listed as the #1RB on the Chiefs depth chart the day before he was released.  Marquise Lee was listed atop the Jaguars depth chart ALL preseason long, ahead of both Westbrook, Chark and Conley.  Nobody paid those depth charts any attention at all, so why would they for the Redskins?  If you look at the preseason depth charts based on what MFL shows on their roster pages, many projected "starters" didn't even make the final cuts.  Preseason depth charts are absolutely worthless.  I can give examples of depth charts that were out of whack all day.  In TN, Jonnu Smith was listed ahead of Delanie Walker.  Not a soul thought he was their top TE. 

There was some guy for the Raiders listed as their #1, yet he's not on the team.  Those paying attention drafted Williams, another guy that "probably shouldn't have been drafted".  Willie Snead sat atop the WR depth chart in Baltimore.  By the way, I'm looking these up online as I type them....  E. Sanders was listed as #2 on the Broncos depth chart, yet I even posted here that he would be a steal and their top guy at the end of the season.  AJ Green was listed atop the depth chart for the Bengals, even AFTER his injury.  Duh.  That obviously wasn't happening.  The 49'ers are a great example.  They had 3 separate WR's listed as their #1 WR at some point in the preseason.  Was drafting Deebo Samuel a mistake?  Heck no.  He could pay big dividends later in the season. 

So....  Depth Charts simply do not mean a thing in the preseason.  My opinion is a depth chart means nothing for anyone on the team.  They are a great way to look up player names, but if you are adjusting your lineup, or drafting based on depth charts, you are just lazy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnD. said:

I got this guy off the WW as well. I started him last week but what do we think about vs. Chicago?

Tough call.  The Bears Defense should feast on that offensive line.  That said, I believe his points will come in garbage time all season.  The interesting thing is in the first two games, he was running actual routes, not just running around trying to get open.  For a rookie, a third rounder at that, it's impressive.  E. Sanders did well against them last week....  He will get looks, but I'm not a prognosticator, or a very good one.  I don't think the Bears defense is as aggressive as last season, so it's possible he still has an ok game, but I would temper my expectations to that of a WR4.  Anything more would be just a heck of a bonus. 

On 9/9/2019 at 12:34 PM, oldtimer said:

In fact, this is what you said, even stating people drafting him were "ignorant".  The internet has a word for people like you.  Troll. 

AxeElf    27

• FF Geek
  • AxeElf
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Hard to tell if you're just trolling, or badly in need of education, but I tend to assume the best in people, so let's go with the need for education... for now.

McLaurin has climbed the depth chart over the summer, to be sure, but it wasn't that long ago that he was presumed to be 4th behind Richardson, Doctson and Quinn.  When Doctson was released, maybe he became 3rd, or what the heck, even 2nd if you were a fan--but then the rookie/bad QB/poor offense factors all came into play too.  The bottom line is that McLaurin isn't even listed among the top 70 WRs on ESPN's final preseason rankings (9/7)--and that's 5 WRs deep in a 14 team league (or 6 WRs deep in a 12 team league).  In fact, the only Redskins WR listed there at all is Trey Quinn at #67.  So hindsight is 20/20, to be sure, but if you were drafting him before the season started, you were either taking a flyer on a favorite sleeper, or you were drafting ignorant of at least 70 better options.

D.J. Chark?  He doesn't appear among the top 70 either.  He was presumed to be behind Westbrook, Conley and Cole--as well as probably Lee, once he got back up to speed.  He may still fall behind Lee, we don't know yet, but he managed to outplay Cole on the depth chart.  Still, there weren't a lot of people drafting a marginal #3 WR for the Jaguars.

I understand the problems with free leagues, but we're not talking about halfway through the season when people lose interest and drop out; we're not even talking about Week 1--we're talking about players who were DRAFTED.  Most people who drafted had an interest in drafting reasonably well, and even if one or two people in every league didn't, there were another 10 who did.

So if you want to talk about how these players "should" have been drafted, then you're basically saying that at least one person in every league "should" have drafted like a chimp.

Parenthetically, FantasyPros, which goes way deeper than the top 70, has D.J. Chark listed at #79 and Terry McLaurin at #96.

Class move of you to give this joker a break-I have my own opinion. He's one of a kind on here....................

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Hyde was listed as the #1RB on the Chiefs depth chart the day before he was released.

Incorrect, on two fronts.  Hyde was listed as the #2 RB behind Damien Williams throughout preseason.  He was traded to Houston, not released.  There's no way the Chiefs would have released their best RB outright (he would have eventually become the #1 RB, but he was not listed as such in preseason); he simply became expendable once Reid got wind of his protege LeSean McCoy becoming available.

I'm not sure what site you're using for your depth charts (MFL?), but it sounds like you need to upgrade.

1 hour ago, huskyhater75 said:

Class move of you to give this joker a break-I have my own opinion. He's one of a kind on here....................

Yeah, well, he says he doesn't have long to live, so I cut him some slack.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:07 PM, oldtimer said:

We must have had seriously different rankings.  I had Chark as the clear #2 guy behind Westbrook in Jacksonville.  Lee was injured in college, often, and I was fortunate enough to let the guy in front of me draft him in a dynasty rookie draft.  I was "stuck" with Allen Robinson.  Both went to Jacksonville, but Lee was considered a future #1 type.  I never bought the hype that Lee would be back in 2019, and most certainly not that he would be a playmaker.  I'll say the same thing about him I said about Guice;  He needs a full year off to rehab his lower body and build up some strength.  In the case of Lee, it's too late.  He will absolutely never be the guy they were hoping for. 

I also had McLaurin as the 1a to Richardson playing the 1b role in Washington.  Neither are truly the top dog, but both are going to get ample opportunity with downfield throws.  I get what you are saying, but even if I had only a 15 man roster, I'd have taken a swing on him with a late pick.  McLaurin wasn't an unknown.  He was discussed quite a bit during the NFL Draft as a guy with #1 potential.  With McLovin (McLaurin), I was assuming WA would be playing from behind quite a bit and he could rack up some decent garbage time numbers.  It wasn't a stretch at all to draft him. 

I should stop drafting WR's in the early rounds altogether.  My early guys are in trouble.  In my redrafts, I had Ju-Ju in two large entry fee leagues and thought he was a steal for where I got him in the 2nd.  We shall see, but it's not looking so good. 

I know you haven't read my posts over the time I've been here, but finding guys that "may" pan out has been one of the very few things I'm good at.  I don't consider myself to be great at drafting, or even in trades.  For whatever reason though, I tend to do extremely well with my late round picks.  I posted that everyone should draft E. Sanders as he was going in the 10th round.  The thread is still on page 4.  He was my undervalued player of the year.  Fortunately, I have him in every league as I took him in the 9th.  Too bad many of the other players are now injured though.  lol 

Anyway, if you would like, a serious offer here, I'll gladly explain how I find my late round gems.  It has helped several people here and it works.  Time consuming, but it works. 

I'd love some insight if you want to share.

This whole theory was part of the reason I was ok waiting on WR.  In my one redraft league I got flat laughed at during the draft when I started my draft Kamara, Kelce, Chris Godwin, Zach Ertz.  

I added John Ross on waivers, picked up Chark and am hoping Mike Williams rounds into form.

If you can make in season adjustments and jump on guys who will keep producing early you can make any draft start work.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AxeElf said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-terry-mclaurin-primed-for-starting-job/amp/

This link dated 9/1 says otherwise.  You just need better info.  After all the rave about him and then dumping Doctson is was quite obvious they were thrilled with him.

They didnt use him much in preseason.  

All you had to do is connect the dots and pay attention.  

A starting WR for the skins certainly isnt coveted.  But probably should be rostered in most legit leagues of 12 or more teams.  

29 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-terry-mclaurin-primed-for-starting-job/amp/

This link dated 9/1 says otherwise.  You just need better info.  After all the rave about him and then dumping Doctson is was quite obvious they were thrilled with him.

They didnt use him much in preseason.  

All you had to do is connect the dots and pay attention.  

A starting WR for the skins certainly isnt coveted.  But probably should be rostered in most legit leagues of 12 or more teams.  

I can produce depth charts saying he was their 4th WR, you have an article suggesting that he is "likely" their 3rd.  Opinions vary.  The point being that the rookie 3rd or 4th WR for a team whose BEST WR produced 532/2 in 2018 SHOULDN'T be rostered in a typical 12 team league.

2 hours ago, Matt Mueller said:

I'd love some insight if you want to share.

This whole theory was part of the reason I was ok waiting on WR.  In my one redraft league I got flat laughed at during the draft when I started my draft Kamara, Kelce, Chris Godwin, Zach Ertz.  

I added John Ross on waivers, picked up Chark and am hoping Mike Williams rounds into form.

If you can make in season adjustments and jump on guys who will keep producing early you can make any draft start work.  

Agreed, and there seems to be something about WRs from Jacksonville rising the depth chart and becoming surprising weekly contributors. 

2012 Cecil Shorts

2014 Allen Hurns

2015 Allen Robinson

2016 Marqise Lee

2017 Keelan Cole

With Chark's size and speed, I think he can be that next guy from Jax that gives fantasy players a solid WR 3/4 on the cheap.