Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Bank mistakenly puts 120k in couples account - they spent it.

9 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I’m sure it’s happened somewhere but probably not in that exact jurisdiction and involving CRIMINAL charges. I’d wager that these things are probably mostly civil in nature especially since amounts are probably usually far lower than fricking $120k.

Now go fock yourself :wave:

Consistently wrong.

9 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

We accidentally gave a poor person $120k and he spent it!   Seems like they're prosecuting human nature rather than criminal intent.

The more I think about it.....

So "I couldn't resist temptation" is a good defense? 

10 hours ago, Strike said:

You can't really be a lawyer.  Focking retard.

10 hours ago, Strike said:

As usual you're focking clueless. 

This has been the GC consensus from almost Day 1, he likes to remind us why every so often.

This is proof the wage gap is a good thing. These fuckchops don't need money. Fock em. Look what they'd do with it

9 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

What percentage of the population would do the exact same thing if they found 125k in their bank account?   I'd guess at least 25% - qualify that to "poor people" and I'd guess 50%.

They were part of the 50% and unlucky enough to have it happen.  They should be forced to repay.... no jail.

Count me in with the people who would contact the bank and let them know.  In 100% of all cases where the person knew and spent the money, they go to jail.  To me, it's common sense that you DON'T spend the money.  The SMART thing to do is to contact that bank as soon as you find out.

One time I deposited a check $250 at my local bank before I left for a trip.  The next day, I noticed that the deposit made was $2500.  I went to closest chain bank, a 20-minute drive from my hotel, and let them know.  After a half hour and answering a couple questions, they took back $2400 without any issue.  They left $100 there on purpose and told that it was for giving them advanced notice and saving them a lot of time, money, and aggravation.

Depending on the size of the error in funds, it's possible the bank may have the get the police involved.

14 minutes ago, edjr said:

This is proof the wage gap is a good thing. These fuckchops don't need money. Fock em. Look what they'd do with it

If you are permanently poor in this nation then you essentially suck with money.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

One time I deposited a check $250 at my local bank before I left for a trip.  The next day, I noticed that the deposit made was $2500.  I went to closest chain bank, a 20-minute drive from my hotel, and let them know.  After a half hour and answering a couple questions, they took back $2400 without any issue.  They left $100 there on purpose and told that it was for giving them advanced notice and saving them a lot of time, money, and aggravation.

You might want to check your math. Looks like you lost $150. :dunno:

• Haha 3

Just now, frank said:

You might want to check your math. Looks like you lost $150. :dunno:

No, they fixed took the $2500 (minus the $100), and re-did the original transaction properly. 👍

12 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Count me in with the people who would contact the bank and let them know. 

I would have done the same thing...

Just now, t.j. booker said:

Taking money that wasn’t there’s is theft. Spending money that was mistakenly given to them is a gray area IMO. It was really dumb though given the near certainty that the bank would figure it out.

Please only post from this account when sticking to the shtick...  Don't ruin this one by making legit comments...

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

Please only post from this account when sticking to the shtick...  Don't ruin this one by making legit comments...

Maybe some guy took his phone and is posting while giving him a nuggie. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, frank said:

Maybe some guy took his phone and is posting while giving him a nuggie. 

:lol: 

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Count me in with the people who would contact the bank and let them know.  In 100% of all cases where the person knew and spent the money, they go to jail.  To me, it's common sense that you DON'T spend the money.  The SMART thing to do is to contact that bank as soon as you find out.

Depending on the size of the error in funds, it's possible the bank may have the get the police involved.

No question that you did the smart and honest thing and what we should all teach our children to do in similar circumstances. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

We accidentally gave a poor person $120k and he spent it!   Seems like they're prosecuting human nature rather than criminal intent.

It's human nature? So your human nature act if your bank put that 120k in your account is to go out and spend all of it right away on vehicles and such? I must be of a different human nature. That's just kind of weird is all. And if you are a poor person with 120k, let's pretend it's actually yours, you would spend it on those items? That's human nature? To be stupid? Well, maybe that's just poor person human nature I guess. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, sderk said:

It's human nature? So your human nature act if your bank put that 120k in your account is to go out and spend all of it right away on vehicles and such? I must be of a different human nature. That's just kind of weird is all. And if you are a poor person with 120k, let's pretend it's actually yours, you would spend it on those items? That's human nature? To be stupid? Well, maybe that's just poor person human nature I guess. :dunno:

Right, if I knowingly did not earn it, then it is not mi ne to spend....like when someone givew you the wrong change in your favor....you give it back, that is not your money...

1. I'd tell the bank the same as if the rolls were reversed - and I had accidentally deposited money in the wrong account.

"I'm conducting an internal investigation and will get back to you later."

2. My defense would be God.... I'd present that God told me if I prayed for prosperity, that he'd answer my prayers and deliver a bounty - I'd assume the $120k was his gift. :music_guitarred:

14 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Right, if I knowingly did not earn it, then it is not mi ne to spend....like when someone givew you the wrong change in your favor....you give it back, that is not your money...

Yeah. You know, every time I had a problem with a credit card charges, whether it be the vendor made a mistake and charged me incorrectly, or in one case someone stole my credit info somehow and bought train tickets to D.C. and charged hotel stays and food and stuff, I contested those charges and the charges were reversed. Meaning, the credit card company and the hotels, stores, whatever took the hit for the theft. It was honest dealings on the side of the credit company to not put the burden on me. And to keep those relationships working and functional in our financial system, and fair, I have to pay my bills on time and not try to cheat them if there is a mistake in my favor.  Same for banks and stores etc. Just do the right thing. How hard is that?

15 minutes ago, RLLD said:

if you found a bag of cash with 25k in it on the side of the road, with no one around, you'd do what with it? turn it in? 🙄

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

if you found a bag of cash with 25k in it on the side of the road, with no one around, you'd do what with it? turn it in? 🙄

You don't know the difference between finding a $20 bill in the street vs. a 7-11 clerk accidentally giving you $20 too much in change? 

Just now, sderk said:

You don't know the difference between finding a $20 bill in the street vs. a 7-11 clerk accidentally giving you $20 too much in change? 

Did you see what RLLD said?  

Right, if I knowingly did not earn it, then it is not mi ne to spend

HTH

I'd let it sit and earn interest for a couple days, then let them know.  :ninja:

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Did you see what RLLD said?  

HTH

I see that but I think you are being too literal in this case. I mean, we are talking about 120k mistakenly being put into your account.

4 minutes ago, sderk said:

I see that but I think you are being too literal in this case. I mean, we are talking about 120k mistakenly being put into your account.

To say you didn't earn it, don't spend it, isn't the right way to go about this. 

If you are really dumb enough to think the bank won't realize their mistake and won't come for the money, you are shotsup kinda stupid and deserve jail.

13 minutes ago, edjr said:

It's a conundrum really, but if we want to go down the road of coming up with as many scenerios as possible to refute the inclination toward doing the right thing, then we are likely just wasting time.

In your instance I think you would be justified to keep it, but if in your instance there were people working nearby, then you take it to them, or if there is a police officer nearby....you can take it to him.....or if there are a bunch of little kids playing nearby with similar "lunch" bags then give it to the teach or responsible adult.,...

so, we can play the "lets attempt to develop a situation that refutes your position" or we can agree that its not that hard to try to do the right thing....

7 minutes ago, RLLD said:

It's a conundrum really, but if we want to go down the road of coming up with as many scenerios as possible to refute the inclination toward doing the right thing, then we are likely just wasting time.

In your instance I think you would be justified to keep it, but if in your instance there were people working nearby, then you take it to them, or if there is a police officer nearby....you can take it to him.....or if there are a bunch of little kids playing nearby with similar "lunch" bags then give it to the teach or responsible adult.,...

so, we can play the "lets attempt to develop a situation that refutes your position" or we can agree that its not that hard to try to do the right thing....

The first and obvious difference between the scenarios is that you KNOW the bank put the money in your account and you have no clue who left 25k on the side of the road.  If I could verify with a high level of certainty who lost the 25k I'd absolutely give it back. 

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

The first and obvious difference between the scenarios is that you KNOW the bank put the money in your account and you have no clue who left 25k on the side of the road.  If I could verify with a high level of certainty who lost the 25k I'd absolutely give it back. 

👍

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

Honestly, if I found 25k in a bag on the street where noone is around and maybe it's in an alley or something, and there are no clues to who might own it, I'm guessing something crooked is up. It's either fake, or serial numbers are being tracked by the cops because of a burglary, or something else. I'm worried about spending it. Or even having it. Someone is looking for it and would probably kill to get it back.

9 hours ago, sderk said:

And if you are a poor person with 120k, let's pretend it's actually yours, you would spend it on those items? That's human nature?

Earned money doesn't get spent like that. Free money does.

It's wrong / illegal... doesn't matter. Not shoplifting is an easy decision for nearly everyone. Not spending $120k that magically appeared in a bank account is too much temptation for some. A large percentage of the population would do the exact same thing.  They should have to pay it back, but jail ?  Nah.

32 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Earned money doesn't get spent like that. Free money does.

It's wrong / illegal... doesn't matter. Not shoplifting is an easy decision for nearly everyone. Not spending $120k that magically appeared in a bank account is too much temptation for some. A large percentage of the population would do the exact same thing.  They should have to pay it back, but jail ?  Nah.

Maybe you give the wife probation but hubby definitely needs jail time.  He has a list of prior convictions including:

- Writing bad checks

- Theft by deception

- Theft by unlawful taking

- Receiving stolen property

https://heavy.com/news/2019/09/tiffany-robert-williams/

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 10:36 AM, edjr said:

To say you didn't earn it, don't spend it, isn't the right way to go about this. 

If you are really dumb enough to think the bank won't realize their mistake and won't come for the money, you are shotsup kinda stupid and deserve jail.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, RLLD said:

There's a BIG difference between these two scenario's.  That significance, is the origin of the money.  If you find a bag of money on the road, you don't know who the owner is.  If you take that to the police department, they'll take it and give you a form to fill out with your contact information.  If the proper owner is not found, then they will turn that money over to you.  Pending on the specific laws of that state, the quantity of money and the public notification may vary.  That said, the money you found will be given to you if no one claims it.

With money given to you by the bank, in error, you and everyone else, knows where the money came from.

34 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Maybe it was a setup?  I mean the bank could not have misplaced the money in worse hands.  :dunno:

gfiafp was busy?

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Maybe it was a setup?  I mean the bank could not have misplaced the money in worse hands.  :dunno:

Boy that’d be a hell of a lot of spite. They aren’t getting that money back. Maybe some of it but definitely not all and probably not most. Not like those bums are good for it after it’s gone 

29 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Boy that’d be a hell of a lot of spite. They aren’t getting that money back. Maybe some of it but definitely not all and probably not most. Not like those bums are good for it after it’s gone 

There are multiple ways to get the money back.  First off, they'll take ownership of the items like the RV, camper, trailer, etc, could probably be brought back to the dealer possibly return them at full value.  Odds are, that if the dealerships are local, they probably work with that bank already.  I don't think they'll want to make waves over something they can still sell at the same cost again.  The bank can also get court orders to attach their wages as well as claim ownership of all future tax returns.  I'm willing to bet that they get all of it back in time... plus interest.

40 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There are multiple ways to get the money back.  First off, they'll take ownership of the items like the RV, camper, trailer, etc, could probably be brought back to the dealer possibly return them at full value.  Odds are, that if the dealerships are local, they probably work with that bank already.  I don't think they'll want to make waves over something they can still sell at the same cost again.  The bank can also get court orders to attach their wages as well as claim ownership of all future tax returns.  I'm willing to bet that they get all of it back in time... plus interest.

Absolutely no way they get it all back plus interest. Never gonna happen, period.