Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Sold my boat, shopping for a camper

I will buy a boat again in March 2021, however my wife wants a camper for next year. If this means I get both a boat and a camper in the long run I can comply.

Requirements:

AC

Fits in the garage

Sleeps 4 - 2 adults and 2 young kids.

This limits me to a pop-up. I have not done any research, but there are hard sided popups now, anyone know if they can sleep 4? I do not have a budget yet, but i am thinking under 10-12k would be nice, and possibly even under 5-6k would be better.

Are camper brands national or regional? Any that hold their value better? Good forums out there for research?

I had a pop up for about 5 years.  Each end is like a queen size, so there is your four.  Plus one can sleep on the bench.  Then the table converts to a full size bed.

The knock on them is you can feel even the slightest movement, a fly farting will make the thing move...  that and no storage, certainly not enough.  It was decent enough for what we wanted and were doing at the time.  It's a good way to get into the activity with a low investment.   You can typically pull them with a mid-sized SUV with a towing package.

last year, upgraded to this...Innsbruck

If you buy through a dealer there are advantages, especially if you need to have some stuff installed in the car, like electronic brake control.   But if you search the web, but from someone else, you likely get a better deal.

10-12k should get you something within the last 3-4 years, in decent shape, with nice amenities. Go for storage over stuff like a toilet or shower.

You can sleep 4 in a popup.  If it rains, you will be sorry you did.   

I know you want to be able to park it in your garage but you'll be extremely limited on the size of camper you can have. 

All campers are made like shiot.  Cheap cheap cheap.

Make sure you have air conditioning, you're in TX right?

I have a 2013 Hemisphere 346QBud for sale right now.  It's a 40' fithwheel   with bunk room and two baths.  $18,500 is what I have it listed at.  If you want it, you'll have to drive north a bit. 

Buy used.  My parents had a couple that we borrowed over the years.  One had an icebox and one had an actual fridge.  I would get one with an actual fridge and if you could find one with AC that would be nice.  If you look for a deal and take care of it you might be able to resell for close to what you paid.  

• Like 1

Boy that may be a real tough ask both in terms of size and price. Especially if we’re talking new. I was looking for something similar earlier this year and they were all either too big, too small, or too expensive. Unless you’re going with a real “popup” (versus hard shell) which probably won’t have AC and which generally seem to suck.

Bu I’d love to hear it if you find what you’re looking for :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

What will you be pulling it with?

I have an 8500 pound towing capacity.

22 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

You can sleep 4 in a popup.  If it rains, you will be sorry you did.   

We had a pop-up the entire time I was growing up. When I got to 12 or so, then my parents would take the pop-up with my sister and brother who is 10 years younger and my other brother and I would sleep in a tent.

The problem is storage cost, if i can store it in my garage I save 2000 a year.

7 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

My parents just sold a camper that is just like that, they did not like it and went back to a basic camper with only the kitchen that slides out.

26 minutes ago, RLLD said:

If you buy through a dealer there are advantages, especially if you need to have some stuff installed in the car, like electronic brake control.   But if you search the web, but from someone else, you likely get a better deal.

10-12k should get you something within the last 3-4 years, in decent shape, with nice amenities. Go for storage over stuff like a toilet or shower.

We will be staying at state parks, we do not need a shower or toilet.

24 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Boy that may be a real tough ask both in terms of size and price. Especially if we’re talking new. I was looking for something similar earlier this year and they were all either too big, too small, or too expensive. Unless you’re going with a real “popup” (versus hard shell) which probably won’t have AC and which generally seem to suck.

Bu I’d love to hear it if you find what you’re looking for :thumbsup:

I will be buying used and hopefully a hardshell.

15 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

We will be staying at state parks, we do not need a shower or toilet.

True.  it's really when you head out west to the national parks that you need to have that stuff.

20 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I am thinking something like the below link, I have a 25 foot long garage, so a few feet longer would be nicer.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-Forest-River-Flagstaff-Hard-Side-Pop-Up-Campers-T12RBST-5008141229

I have always found those to be cool....  I would say go to an RV show but then you likely come home with a brand new one, and one much more than you intended....😆

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

True.  it's really when you head out west to the national parks that you need to have that stuff.

You misspelled north?

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I have always found those to be cool....  I would say go to an RV show but then you likely come home with a brand new one, and one much more than you intended....😆

That is a good idea, no risk of splurge buying. 

Edit, it is in February 2020.

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You misspelled north?

They are all West of me 🤤

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

The knock on them is you can feel even the slightest movement, a fly farting will make the thing move... 

If the camper's rockin'...

19 minutes ago, kutulu said:

If the camper's rockin'...

You're rubbing one out?

27 minutes ago, RLLD said:

You're rubbing one out?

No need, got the rare work week morning sex today :banana:

Buy new. Anything you buy used will have damage. I can not stress enough. Buy new

18 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Buy new. Anything you buy used will have damage. I can not stress enough. Buy new

Maybe.

If you are buying a pop up though.....it would really depend on what you want to get out of it.  Eventually you sell the thing at a loss no matter what. If you are just looking to get a few years out of it, why buy it new?   Too much of hit when its time to let it go.  To me, a pop up should not be a long-term investment.

Shocking news about the boat.  

Good luck on your camper search. 

We’ve been toying with the idea for about a year and still haven’t pulled the trigger.  

Wife wants all the creature comforts, I just want a place to sleep.  

I recently focked a married woman in my camper when I was in Texas.  She said she was going to make her husband sell his boat and buy a camper so she could return the favor to me.  Coincidence?

32 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Shocking news about the boat.  

Good luck on your camper search. 

We’ve been toying with the idea for about a year and still haven’t pulled the trigger.  

Wife wants all the creature comforts, I just want a place to sleep.  

We have rented a camper twice and my wife is on board with just the basics. Most the day is spent exploring, and the evening is spent outside.

A tent would almost work for us, except an AC is an absolute must.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladiators said:

I recently focked a married woman in my camper when I was in Texas.  She said she was going to make her husband sell his boat and buy a camper so she could return the favor to me.

I trust you told her to get air conditioning. 

5 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I am thinking something like the below link, I have a 25 foot long garage, so a few feet longer would be nicer.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-Forest-River-Flagstaff-Hard-Side-Pop-Up-Campers-T12RBST-5008141229

Have fun sitting at the table in that focker. 

how are you going to poach fish in the gulf now?

17 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

We have rented a camper twice and my wife is on board with just the basics. Most the day is spent exploring, and the evening is spent outside.

A tent would almost work for us, except an AC is an absolute must.

Absofrigginglutely.....

On 9/10/2019 at 9:47 AM, MTSkiBum said:

I will buy a boat again in March 2021, however my wife wants a camper for next year. If this means I get both a boat and a camper in the long run I can comply.

Requirements:

AC

Fits in the garage

Sleeps 4 - 2 adults and 2 young kids.

This limits me to a pop-up. I have not done any research, but there are hard sided popups now, anyone know if they can sleep 4? I do not have a budget yet, but i am thinking under 10-12k would be nice, and possibly even under 5-6k would be better.

Are camper brands national or regional? Any that hold their value better? Good forums out there for research?

We usually jus take rent a boat. Makes life easier. Or charter a boat for fishing. Did that today. Caught about 30 reds

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

We usually jus take rent a boat. Makes life easier. Or charter a boat for fishing. Did that today. Caught about 30 reds

I have rented a boat numerous times in Murrell's inlet, but there are no boat rentals here.

45 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have rented a boat numerous times in Murrell's inlet, but there are no boat rentals here.

Oh man that sucks. Well, maybe you could just travel a bit to rent one for fishing. Hate that for you though man 

This ended up being another bad decision that I made. I realize that I am good at making bad decisions.

I have been shopping for a boat for 2 months and would gladly buy my old boat back for a few thousand more than i sold it for. I check facebook marketplace, craigslist, classic mako, thehulltruth, boattrader, and two local forums every day. There is nothing available.

Hopefully over the winter the prices of toys drop a little bit.

Had a friend buy a new boat in December. They upgraded and have been spending a ton of time fishing in competitions and for fun. I am jealous.