Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MissionCoach

Am I overreacting on Mayfield? Thinking of offering Ekeler for Brady

Recommended Posts

My QB's are Baker Mayfield + Kirk Cousins and I am in major overreaction mode.

I am thinking of offering Ekeler + Cousins for Brady + Ronald Jones

The Brady owner has Majomes, so trading Brady might be in play.  Plus he is light at RB with Bell, Lindsay, Justin Jackson, and Jones.

I think Mayfield will improve, but he is not going to be the next Brett Favre, at least this season.  The Vikes are going to run the ball and be a low volume passing team with Cousins.

I am good at RB, with David Johnson, Chris Carson, Mark Ingram, Justice Hill, and Ekeler

Am I overreacting?  Is this a good trade? 

Should I offer one of my other RB's instead of Ekeler?  Or stand pat and try to pickup Dalton or Stafford off of the WW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MissionCoach said:

My QB's are Baker Mayfield + Kirk Cousins and I am in major overreaction mode.

I am thinking of offering Ekeler + Cousins for Brady + Ronald Jones

The Brady owner has Majomes, so trading Brady might be in play.  Plus he is light at RB with Bell, Lindsay, Justin Jackson, and Jones.

I think Mayfield will improve, but he is not going to be the next Brett Favre, at least this season.  The Vikes are going to run the ball and be a low volume passing team with Cousins.

I am good at RB, with David Johnson, Chris Carson, Mark Ingram, Justice Hill, and Ekeler

Am I overreacting?  Is this a good trade? 

Should I offer one of my other RB's instead of Ekeler?  Or stand pat and try to pickup Dalton or Stafford off of the WW?

Any time you want to trade a high draft pick after the first bad game in week 1, it is by definition an overreaction. That being said, it is certainly plausible Brady is better than Baker with all those weapons. If Mel Gordon reports eventually Eckler could take a big hit. I wouldn't do the trade but It might help in the short term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MissionCoach said:

My QB's are Baker Mayfield + Kirk Cousins and I am in major overreaction mode.

I am thinking of offering Ekeler + Cousins for Brady + Ronald Jones

The Brady owner has Majomes, so trading Brady might be in play.  Plus he is light at RB with Bell, Lindsay, Justin Jackson, and Jones.

I think Mayfield will improve, but he is not going to be the next Brett Favre, at least this season.  The Vikes are going to run the ball and be a low volume passing team with Cousins.

I am good at RB, with David Johnson, Chris Carson, Mark Ingram, Justice Hill, and Ekeler

Am I overreacting?  Is this a good trade? 

Should I offer one of my other RB's instead of Ekeler?  Or stand pat and try to pickup Dalton or Stafford off of the WW?

I would do it.  You are set at RB and Ekeler will lose value when Gordon returns.  Brady will have Edelman, White, Thomas, Gordon and Brown, not to mention Dorsett and potentially Gronk.  Remember the last time someone put up 50 TD's?  What did Brady and the Patriots do right after?  Oh yeah, brought in Randy Moss and threw the ball all over the field.  I think some people are overlooking what Brown "could" do for the Patriots.  Their offensive line is shaky.  Brown is super quick into his route.  This is going to be a major addition and not just because it's AB, but because he fits exactly what they are lacking.  Brady could put up some serious numbers this season and you need another QB regardless.  Cousins isn't going to win you a ton of games in a Kubiak designed offense.  Mayfield is going to have some great games, but the line is really bad.  No LT and they traded their best Guard to the Giants for an overrated Linebacker/End.  With Brady, who are you going to sit him against with all those weapons? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Classic week 1 over reaction.

Baker will be fine..wait 2-3 more weeks.

Agree with this.  Wait 2-3 weeks, then drop him for Carr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd do it.   I'm trying to get Brady cheap right now.   Suddenly have a feeling this could be a massive year for Brady and the Pats 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I would do it.  You are set at RB and Ekeler will lose value when Gordon returns.  Brady will have Edelman, White, Thomas, Gordon and Brown, not to mention Dorsett and potentially Gronk.  Remember the last time someone put up 50 TD's?  What did Brady and the Patriots do right after?  Oh yeah, brought in Randy Moss and threw the ball all over the field.  I think some people are overlooking what Brown "could" do for the Patriots.  Their offensive line is shaky.  Brown is super quick into his route.  This is going to be a major addition and not just because it's AB, but because he fits exactly what they are lacking.  Brady could put up some serious numbers this season and you need another QB regardless.  Cousins isn't going to win you a ton of games in a Kubiak designed offense.  Mayfield is going to have some great games, but the line is really bad.  No LT and they traded their best Guard to the Giants for an overrated Linebacker/End.  With Brady, who are you going to sit him against with all those weapons? 

I have Mayfield and Cousins at QB and D.Johnson, Carson, Ingram, Hill, and Ekeler at RB

The other team has Majomes and Brady at QB.  Bell, Lindsay, J.Jackson, and R. Jones at RB.

The other team will sit Brady for Majomes. I am going to offer Ekeler and Cousins, for Brady and R.Jones.  He needs RB help, I want to upgrade my QB situation.

I'm thinking its a win-win for both teams. Gordon won't be back for 6-8 weeks.  Even when he returns, Ekeler will be good for RB #2 numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MissionCoach said:

I have Mayfield and Cousins at QB and D.Johnson, Carson, Ingram, Hill, and Ekeler at RB

The other team has Majomes and Brady at QB.  Bell, Lindsay, J.Jackson, and R. Jones at RB.

The other team will sit Brady for Majomes. I am going to offer Ekeler and Cousins, for Brady and R.Jones.  He needs RB help, I want to upgrade my QB situation.

I'm thinking its a win-win for both teams. Gordon won't be back for 6-8 weeks.  Even when he returns, Ekeler will be good for RB #2 numbers. 

I agree.  It's a rare win-win type of trade.  I don't think you can go wrong here.  You're covered at RB and he has a QB he isn't going to use but once this season.  If he doesn't want to give up R. Jones, I would do the deal without him included.  Don't get me wrong, I would much rather have him, but I think you're still going to come out of this well by giving up Ekeler and Cousins for just Brady.  The peace of mind that comes with knowing you have a QB who isn't going to kill you is worth it.  Plus, the upside of Brady with AB is tremendous.  It opens up everything. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MissionCoach said:

I have Mayfield and Cousins at QB and D.Johnson, Carson, Ingram, Hill, and Ekeler at RB

The other team has Majomes and Brady at QB.  Bell, Lindsay, J.Jackson, and R. Jones at RB.

The other team will sit Brady for Majomes. I am going to offer Ekeler and Cousins, for Brady and R.Jones.  He needs RB help, I want to upgrade my QB situation.

I'm thinking its a win-win for both teams. Gordon won't be back for 6-8 weeks.  Even when he returns, Ekeler will be good for RB #2 numbers. 

Which D Johnson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QBs are a dime a dozen in most (non-superflex) leagues; I would never trade a player of any value for one, let alone one of the highest-scoring RBs of Week 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ekeler is a stud, don’t trade stud RBs for 10th round QBs. Many late round or undrafted QBs had huge games, it’s why we always say wait on QB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Ekeler is a stud, don’t trade stud RBs for 10th round QBs. Many late round or undrafted QBs had huge games, it’s why we always say wait on QB.

I agree, you have to be crazy to move Ekeler.   He's currently budlight to CMC & Kamara. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Brady was not dime per dozen Sunday night

Well, he was the #7 fantasy QB for Week 1.

You could have picked up the #4 (Stafford) and the #6 (Keenum) QBs off of waivers before the game, or you can trade the #1 fantasy RB of Week 1 (standard scoring; #2 in PPR) for someone worse after the fact.

Your call.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Brady was not dime per dozen Sunday night

Yes he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Well, he was the #7 fantasy QB for Week 1.

You could have picked up the #4 (Stafford) and the #6 (Keenum) QBs off of waivers before the game, or you can trade the #1 fantasy RB of Week 1 (standard scoring; #2 in PPR) for someone worse after the fact.

Your call.

A crazy thing to do would be to overvalue a player based on Week One.  Brady was the #7 QB without AB, with two injuries on his line and playing against an above average defense.  Ekeler had an outstanding game, no doubt.  Will he be putting those sort of games up weekly?  Highly doubtful to almost a certain no.  If you look at this trade based on the team needs, it's a fit for both.  Ekeler is NOT finishing this season as the #2 RB, so trading him while the iron is hot is a perfect way to go when you have a need elsewhere.  His depth at RB is sufficient.  If Brady finishes the season as the #6 or #7 QB, which is plausible to an almost certainty, it's a game changer for his team.  Ekeler will finish the season where?  Maybe 15th?  How far does his stock drop once Gordon is back?  Come fantasy playoff time, how many carries will he get?  Gordon will also take some of the receptions. 

 

If you are talking a straight up trade where neither team has a need, I agree with you.  Mayfield at QB isn't going to be what his team needs.  You think Stafford or Keenum finishes the season in the top 10?  lol  Not a chance.  His team will be fine with a QB who scores on a consistent basis.  When Brady has had the weapons at WR, he's scored plenty.  If you want to win in fantasy football, you trade from your strength and shore up the holes on your team.  Brady may not be a superstar in fantasy anymore, but his schedule is pretty nice.  His WR's are good.  The defense is good (more opportunities for the offense).  I wouldn't care if Ekeler were the top fantasy RB from week one to week 10.  Gordon will take some of his production right before the playoffs start.  You would rather be the #1 team in the regular season?  I'd much prefer to make the playoffs as a #4 seed and be capable of winning. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in a one QB league where just about no one carries a second QB and Brady is available. I'm holding Mayfield, but I plan to put in a nice FAAB bid on Brady. Playing the weekly waiver for a QB is fine, but a Brady/Mayfield combo should give me elite results ROS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

A crazy thing to do would be to overvalue a player based on Week One.  Brady was the #7 QB without AB, with two injuries on his line and playing against an above average defense.  Ekeler had an outstanding game, no doubt.  Will he be putting those sort of games up weekly?  Highly doubtful to almost a certain no.  If you look at this trade based on the team needs, it's a fit for both.  Ekeler is NOT finishing this season as the #2 RB, so trading him while the iron is hot is a perfect way to go when you have a need elsewhere.  His depth at RB is sufficient.  If Brady finishes the season as the #6 or #7 QB, which is plausible to an almost certainty, it's a game changer for his team.  Ekeler will finish the season where?  Maybe 15th?  How far does his stock drop once Gordon is back?  Come fantasy playoff time, how many carries will he get?  Gordon will also take some of the receptions. 

 

If you are talking a straight up trade where neither team has a need, I agree with you.  Mayfield at QB isn't going to be his team needs.  You think Stafford or Keenum finishes the season in the top 10?  lol  Not a chance.  His team will be fine with a QB who scores on a consistent basis.  When Brady has had the weapons at WR, he's scored plenty.  If you want to win in fantasy football, you trade from your strength and shore up the holes on your team.  Brady may not be a superstar in fantasy anymore, but his schedule is pretty nice.  His WR's are good.  The defense is good (more opportunities for the offense).  I wouldn't care if Ekeler were the top fantasy RB from week one to week 10.  Gordon will take some of his production right before the playoffs start.  You would rather be the #1 team in the regular season?  I'd much prefer to make the playoffs as a #4 seed and be capable of winning. 

Of course no one thinks Ekeler is going to be the #2 RB for the year, but he's probably going to continue to be a solid RB1 until Gordon returns (if he does), and a solid RB2 (especially in PPR) even after that in the mold of Chris Thompson or Duke Johnson.

You want to talk about fading down the stretch?  Let's talk about the 42 year old QB in question:

In 2014, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB14 (QB7 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

In 2015, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB8 (QB1 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

In 2016, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB9 (QB2 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

In 2017, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB20 (QB4 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

In 2018, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB15 (and only QB14 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

That's the reason Brady didn't receive his usual esteem in fantasy drafts this season; he's become an also-ran among QBs (and he has been an also-ran QB in fantasy playoff weeks for some time now).

In 2019, the Patriots play 4 of the 6 games after their bye against teams that are likely to be playoff teams (PHI, DAL, HOU and KC), and the CIN and BUF Ds did a'ight in Week 1 as well.

So if we're not going to go crazy on overvaluing a player based on Week 1, let's pump the brakes on Brady and consider what his performances may be down the stretch when Gordon makes his annual visit to rehab and Antonio implodes under the force of his new helmet.

After not getting involved in a land war in Asia and not going up against a Sicilian when death is on the line, never trading a player of value for a QB is one of the most important things to remember in life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Of course no one thinks Ekeler is going to be the #2 RB for the year, but he's probably going to continue to be a solid RB1 until Gordon returns (if he does), and a solid RB2 (especially in PPR) even after that in the mold of Chris Thompson or Duke Johnson.

You want to talk about fading down the stretch?  Let's talk about the 42 year old QB in question:

In 2014, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB14 (QB7 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

In 2015, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB8 (QB1 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

In 2016, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB9 (QB2 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

In 2017, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB20 (QB4 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

In 2018, from Weeks 13-16, Tom Brady was QB15 (and only QB14 in points per game Weeks 1-12).

That's the reason Brady didn't receive his usual esteem in fantasy drafts this season; he's become an also-ran among QBs (and he has been an also-ran QB in fantasy playoff weeks for some time now).

In 2019, the Patriots play 4 of the 6 games after their bye against teams that are likely to be playoff teams (PHI, DAL, HOU and KC), and the CIN and BUF Ds did a'ight in Week 1 as well.

So if we're not going to go crazy on overvaluing a player based on Week 1, let's pump the brakes on Brady and consider what his performances may be down the stretch when Gordon makes his annual visit to rehab and Antonio implodes under the force of his new helmet.

After not getting involved in a land war in Asia and not going up against a Sicilian when death is on the line, never trading a player of value for a QB is one of the most important things to remember in life.

Hmmmm, what did Brady have in common in those seasons?  Oh yeah, he didn't have Gordon down the stretch.  Oh, he also didn't have Antonio Brown you say?  My goodness, one of the years even Edelman was out, and two of them Gronk missed time?  If you are going to post things, at least post both sides.  lol  Let's not forget Thomas is in the fold as well as N'Keal on the IR list, oh, and another promising rookie.  Let's just overlook that this is the deepest WR group Brady has had since Moss. 

It wouldn't shock me if Gordon goes out again.  It wouldn't shock me if Ekeler gets injured either.  It's life.  Stuff happens.  With AB in the fold, and the other WR's mentioned above, Gordon would not be a tremendous loss, if he was a loss. 

While I understand your point, we're talking about a team with needs.  Nobody is suggesting trading Brady for Ekeler in a perfect world, or in a start up draft.  With Mayfield and Cousins as his only QB options, this trade would certainly offer him peace of mind.  He would be dealing from a position of strength.  His team isn't exactly made up of studs.  His best chance at a Championship is a solid, all-around roster.  He has that after this deal.  You build your way, I'll keep winning league titles.  From reading your other posts, you only provide half the information someone should have to make an informed decision, flip-flop on your comments (See Terry McLaurin) and generally do not look at both sides of anything.  I will give you points for writing style and virtuoso, but your knowledge of how to actually win a league title seems very limited.  Not trading when you have an obvious strength to fill an obvious weakness is simply dumb in fantasy football.  Go ahead and play to make the playoffs.  I play to win a title.  I guess that's where our difference are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

From reading your other posts, you only provide half the information someone should have to make an informed decision, flip-flop on your comments (See Terry McLaurin) and generally do not look at both sides of anything.  I will give you points for writing style and virtuoso, but your knowledge of how to actually win a league title seems very limited.  Not trading when you have an obvious strength to fill an obvious weakness is simply dumb in fantasy football.  Go ahead and play to make the playoffs.  I play to win a title.  I guess that's where our difference are. 

Don't be ridiculous; I'm Axe Elf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Yes he was.

Looked extremely sharp to me and has a really nice mix of receiving options.   I'd imagine he's moving up in ROS rankings 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dude is 42 years old now.   while he may be good enough to start, hes not the kind of QB you trade that kind of assets away for.

stand pat, his asking price will likely go down once he gets an injury and needs someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK trade update is NOW 

 

I give:  Mayfield + Ekeler

I receive: Mahommes + Ronald Jones

His team is desperate for a RB and there is nothing on the WW

I could also pickup Dalton or Stafford off of waivers and just keep Ekeler for myself. 

Any expert opinions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I not giving up Ekeler for Jones. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fock? I feel like I’ve lost my mind. You’re seriously asking if you should trade an RB1 for a 42 year old QB who wasn’t even drafted in most fantasy leagues?

Get ahold of yourself, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×