Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

September 11th

At this time on Sept 10, 2001, I was on a flight from Chicago to JFK.  

Got home to CT late, slept in, woke up to the witness it all unfold on tv.  

What a nightmare  

Driving to work down a country road listening to NPR and the news broke that a plane had hit the WTC.  The initial report made it sound like a Cessna or a similar smallish plane and the reporter mentioned possible terrorism and I remember thinking to myself, what a buncha dopes, flying a Cessna into a skyscraper.  When I got to the store my dad had the TV out in the store and we watched as the second plane hit.  The entire day was unreal.  People panicking and lining up for gas.  Finally, we just put up signs saying we were out of gas.  

Collidge. One of my roomies had an early ass class, the poor bastard, and came back to the pad blabbering about a plane hit the World Trade Center. I thought he meant like some dumbass in a single engine and blew him off. Then he made the rest of us hungover focks gather round the TV (standard def! :lol: ) and that was right about when the second plane hit. Holy fock

I was in the upper home half of my building getting ready for work as normal,no tv radio etc. on  Went downstairs to my office and no sooner opened the door when my secretary told me the news.Went back upstairs with her,told the mrs. the news and turned on the tv and proceeded to watch like most everyone else.

West coast so the planes hit early.  I happened to wake up early waiting for an exterminator to arrive and take care of a wasp nest in our house wall.  I was eating breakfast when my wife walked out after her alarm went off, she groggily said that a plane flew into the WTC.  We turned on the TV and watched; like many above we saw the second hit live.  Never forget.

Sleeping one off. I was out the night before watching the Giants get shellacked by the Broncos on MNF. When I got the call to go to work they said you have to come in, the WTC is on fire. I thought that was weird. So I put the TV on and then they reported the second plane hit. Bad day to be hungover. Flipped back and forth between Stern and Imus on the way in. Even though I was going the opposite direction of traffic, a usually 20 min trip took almost 2 hours. GW Bridge had everything leading into it backed up. 

I was just heading to work.  Girl who worked for me called me on my cell.  She was freaked out, said some sh*t was going down in NY.  Got to work and started checking online to see what the deal was.  Worst part was we had an office in those buildings with something like 500 people.  A lot of them died. 

That morning I was waking up in Phoenix intending to go to work as a Limo Driver........I got laid off and didn't go back to work. 

I worked evening shift that day so I was at the house watching the coverage. When I got to work, law enforcement was guarding the facility with machine guns and vehicles were searched inside and out. That went of for about a week afterward.

7 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Never forget. 

Where were you when it all went down?

Where is GFIAP when you need him?

I was getting off that morning from the firehouse and was driving when news broke in of the first plane.  I made it home to be watching a wide shot on TV and saw the 2nd hit and my heart just sank because everyone knew then.

27 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Worst event in modern world history. 

Why? Some people in some planes just did something. That's all. I'm curious to see how the insane Congressional Posse remembers today

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Why? Some people in some planes just did something. That's all. I'm curious to see how the insane Congressional Posse remembers today

True, probably after watching a youtube video.  

I was logged into this site, at work, reviewing some FF stuff.....someone(cannot recall who) posted a thread that a plane had just hit the WTC, moved on not really getting too much into it at that point when someone posted something along the lines of "holy sh!t another plan just hit the other tower!".....at that point I wandered over to my doorway, looked down the hall to see other people just sorted looking down the hallway as well all of us with a confused look on our face.....turned on the radio, started listening to news reports, called home, alerted the wife....

Then I just remember days where nothing but the site was on TV, all we did was watch that for days and days, each night, pulled together as a family on the couch.....

A relatively newly-single Dad (my wife had passed away in May), I had called off work because my first grade son started puking as I was getting him ready for school.  It seemed very surreal at the time, but in odd way I was glad to be at home that day watching it all unfold from my living room.  I remember going out to pick up some dinner later and everything and everyone kind of being in a fog.

6 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

A relatively newly-single Dad (my wife had passed away in May), I had called off work because my first grade son started puking as I was getting him ready for school.  It seemed very surreal at the time, but in odd way I was glad to be at home that day watching it all unfold from my living room.  I remember going out to pick up some dinner later and everything and everyone kind of being in a fog.

Sorry to hear that, must have been a tough time for you having that already on you.....i felt the same, wanted to just be home, with my family near.....

• Like 1

Married on 9/2, Cancun until 9/9.  First day back to work, 9/11..  Few days here or there and we would have been stuck in Cancun when the flights were grounded.

Heard the news about the first tower, turned the TV on and watched live as the second plane hit.  Surreal, seemed like a movie.

I was 17, at home with my 1.5 year old son, trying to study for a GED.  Had to go into work later that night.  When I first heard about it, I didn't realize it was a big plane.  I thought some moron crashed one of those tour guide type planes into the building, and went about my business.  It wasn't until my parents got home from work where I really knew what happened.

Was driving to my college classes and put on Howard Stern on the radio.  He was talking about something happening in NY, so I checked around the dial for more info.  Got to school, sat in the parking lot listening when the second plane hit, turned around and went home.

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

Sitting in my cube on the 26th floor of Enron tower.

:blink:

No classes that day so I was up until 5 AM and still in bed when the first plane hit. My mom woke me up to watch the news, got to the TV in time for the second plane. Spent the morning on here and a couple other sites posting about it. My dad was in the air on his way back to Detroit Metro at the time, so it was a bit disturbing for a few minutes when the news came out that another hijacked plane was over Pennsylvania. 

I was getting ready for work watching the morning news.  Saw the second one hit.  Heard about the Pentagon on the way to work.  :(

17 minutes ago, RLLD said:

:blink:

I admit it became real uncomfortable after the second plane hit.

I was also leaving from Vegas the next day!  :mad:

was at a work meeting in center city philly...had taken train in from NJ. remember hearing the news and a lot of people were trying to get out of city because no one really knew what was going on. it was an eerie kind of exodus... lots of people walking on the streets but was quiet. i remember having my first cell phone and trying to call wife (fiance at the time) and no service. crazy train ride back. spent rest of day drinking beers and watching tv at apartment with buddies.

running the kitchen at a hotel where i worked and someone mentioned what was going on so we went out to the bar to watch things unfold.  definitely surreal

I had separated from the Air Force 9 days earlier trading some of my leave to get out two weeks early.  Original exit date was 9/16.  I was staying with my dad until my household goods arrived.  I woke up that morning to a phone call from my mom telling me to turn on the TV.  This was minutes before the second plane hit.  Sat shocked for about 15 minutes until I got a call from the AF base near me.  I thought for sure there was some way they were cancelling my separation and stop lossing me.  Turns out it was the lady calling to schedule delivery of my furniture.  She had no idea what was going on.

One of the guys I was stationed with was supposed to get out the same day as me but didn't take terminal leave.  He ended up in for another 13 months before he could separate.

Felt compelled to come by here today.  I'm sure none of you (except maybe RLLD!) remember me but I think of this site and that morning every year.  Hope everyone is doing well. :)

• Like 1

Did any of you know anyone who died from any of the events/related events directly/indirectly?

4 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Did any of you know anyone who died from any of the events/related events directly/indirectly?

I wanna say that one of the posters here had a relative that was in one of the planes. I could be wrong though 

1 hour ago, patweisers44 said:

Oh man, I didn't know. Sorry to hear that brotha.

3 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

In grade school I was in a gifted program where they kept 12 of us together thru 6th grade; one of those kids died in the tower.  We had gone to different high schools and had lost touch, but it's still kinda weird.  It would suck to have lost someone close to you in that event, because every year the memories would flood back. :(

I remember that we had to come here because CNN, MSN, FoxNews and all of the other news websites were getting hammered and was slow as can be...

Was at home getting ready for work, watched the 2nd plane hit watching tv.

I work on the 28th floor of a high rise.. Walking in the bldg. was surrounded with armed personnel. I remember none of us working that day. We were all either watching the tv feeds or at the windows looking for planes. Many were scared of an attack on us. Even more flat out stayed home bcoz of it.

Just now, posty said:

I remember that we had to come here because CNN, MSN, FoxNews and all of the other news websites were getting hammered and was slow as can be...

Yes!  I absolutely remember that.  Are there archives of this forum that go back that far? 

1 minute ago, dain11279 said:

I wanna say that one of the posters here had a relative that was in one of the planes. I could be wrong though 

My other story is that my in-laws were friends with Jeremy Glick's (flight 93) parents.  We went to SC to stay with the inlaws for my daughter's baptism in October 2001; Glick's widow, baby, and parents were at the party.  Very surreal.

Just now, SkinsChick said:

Yes!  I absolutely remember that.  Are there archives of this forum that go back that far? 

Mike's hamsters got hacked in 2006 and all prior stuff is gone, unfortunately.

What's the big deal? "Some people did something"

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Mike's hamsters got hacked in 2006 and all prior stuff is gone, unfortunately.

As well GFIAFP's thread of heroism and war zone combat. :(