Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Non-politicalWednesday diversion-Thought Experiment

You and acquaintance have been arrested for robbing the Hibernia Savings Bank and placed in separate isolation cells. You care much more about your personal freedom than about the welfare of your accomplice. A clever prosecutor makes the following offer to both of you. “You may choose to confess or remain silent. If you confess and your accomplice remains silent I will drop all charges against you and use your testimony to ensure that your accomplice does serious time(15 years). Likewise, if your accomplice confesses while you remain silent, they will go free while you do the time. If you both confess I get two convictions, but I'll see to it that you both get early parole(5 years). If you both remain silent, I'll have to settle for token sentences on firearms possession charges(1 year). If you wish to confess, you must leave a note with the jailer before my return tomorrow morning.”

What do you do?

As always serious answers are encouraged, but you get extra points for really funny ones.   

If you confess, your outcome is better no matter what the other person does. 

2 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

True, assuming you are stuck in a kangaroo court where the truth doesn't matter. 

59 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

What do you do?

Not rob a bank in the first place...

I keep my mouth shut and let my lawyer do the talking. 

30 minutes ago, posty said:

Not rob a bank in the first place...

I think you just say "the Hibernia Savings Bank, never saw it".  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

This.

I can't ever imagine a scenario where I'd be in this position. That being said, if I were:

I'd totally confess... Even if we both came clean at the same time and got 5 years - I will have deserved it.

9 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I think you just say "the Hibernia Savings Bank, never saw it".  

:lol:

As I've mentioned before, my contingency plan for robbing a bank involves dressing as a tranny for six months and choosing a target bank in a state where trannies get sent to female prison, so I'm good either way.

40 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I can't ever imagine a scenario where I'd be in this position. That being said, if I were:

I'd totally confess... Even if we both came clean at the same time and got 5 years - I will have deserved it.

It is simply a basic game theory exercise called prisoner dilemma

It's used to show why people may work against their own interests

2 hours ago, Voltaire said:

As I've mentioned before, my contingency plan for robbing a bank involves dressing as a tranny for six months and choosing a target bank in a state where trannies get sent to female prison, so I'm good either way.

My fool-proof plan is to wait until the worst snowstorm of the year, ride to the bank in full gear on a snowmobile and walk in with your helmet still on and rob the joint.  Ain't no way the cops could catch you and they cant tail you with a helicopter if its a snowstorm and your tracks would be covered in no time.  

Find out what time the prosecutor returns in the morning and ask the jailer to notify you if he receives any notes before the prosecutor returns.  Call the jailer over 10 seconds before the prosecutor is due to return and make your decision then.

Real answer: Remain silent.  No way you can trust a lawyer.  The confession agreement needs to be in writing.

I'd confess, but then I'd crawl to freedom through five hundred yards of -smelling foulness you can't even imagine- or maybe you I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields; just shy of half a mile.

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I'd confess, but then I'd crawl to freedom through five hundred yards of -smelling foulness you can't even imagine- or maybe you I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields; just shy of half a mile.

:nono: You’re no Andy Dufresne.

20 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Just shy of a mile?  Five hundred yards is just a little bit over a quarter of a mile...

47 minutes ago, posty said:

Just shy of a mile?  Five hundred yards is just a little bit over a quarter of a mile...

I know and that's always bothered me every time I've heard Morgan Freeman give that speech in Shawshank Redemption.

It's nice to know someone else is as OCD about stuff like besides me.

22 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

It's nice to know someone else is as OCD about stuff like besides me.

:)

Yeah very OCD about crap like this...