Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Will the Pats Cover? Line at -19

Recommended Posts

I don't remember a road favorite with a number this big. Will the Pats steamroll the Fins, or will they be distracted with the whole AB mess. Miami played NE super tough last year, albeit with a different staff and some players. I am curious as to what will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who bets on the Dolphins without getting at least 28 points deserves to lose.

Only if the Patriots treat this like the Preseason Week 4 game and sit all of their starters would I consider betting on the Dolphins +19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say no. It’s a divisional game against a coach who knows belichick well. Pats always struggle in Miami too. I bet it’ll be an ugly game that the Pats easily win but not by a ton 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I say no. It’s a divisional game against a coach who knows belichick well. Pats always struggle in Miami too. I bet it’ll be an ugly game that the Pats easily win but not by a ton 

I still remember Miami beating New England on Monday Night in 2004.  Miami was 4-12 that year, New England was 14-2 and went on to win the superbowl.  Anything can happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will prob add miami to a reverse parlay ticket this week and throw a few lunches on a chance at a small fortune. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

History of trouble for Patriots in Miami, Pats looking ahead to week 3, Fins nothing to lose. Trap game, take the points. Patriots 30 Dolphins 14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I saw that line I thought it was a misprint, now I think its like a fishing line just waiting for me to roll with the fins...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

smh... LOTTA people in here gonna lose money this weekend it seems...

Patriots call off the dogs in the 4th Q and still win 48-7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

smh... LOTTA people in here gonna lose money this weekend it seems...

Patriots call off the dogs in the 4th Q and still win 48-7.

will you give me miami +40??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take the over. You think BB forgot about the Miami miracle? He will use this as motivation to beat a horrible team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the record for a road favorite is -20.5 so this line is pretty astronomical for a home dawg. As a fins fan I’m trying to tell myself stay away but when you’re giving me 19 points before the game even starts? Jesus.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is overreaction line based on last weeks results. In collage an 18 point road favourite maybe, but in the pros, no chance.  not betting this game because of me personal rule...I don't bet against the Pats in this Brady/belicheck era. but if I did, my money would be on the dolphins.  You can't give professional football players 18 points at home. no way.  there's pride involved

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Canadianfan said:

This is overreaction line based on last weeks results. In collage an 18 point road favourite maybe, but in the pros, no chance.  not betting this game because of me personal rule...I don't bet against the Pats in this Brady/belicheck era. but if I did, my money would be on the dolphins.  You can't give professional football players 18 points at home. no way.  there's pride involved

I want to agree with you but my rule of thumb (as a dolphins fan) is to never bet for or against the dolphins. Just avoid avoid avoid. Last year I bet the patriots and yes of course, Miami miracle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Canadianfan said:

 there's pride involved

Not much, when all the players are reportedly scrambling to get off the sinking ship.

 

5 hours ago, unclemercy said:

will you give me miami +40??

No, I don't bet on coin flips, but I'll give you the 19 points in an instant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Not much, when all the players are reportedly scrambling to get off the sinking ship.

 

No, I don't bet on coin flips, but I'll give you the 19 points in an instant.

Maybe not pride for all but you’re always playing for your next contract. Quitting on teams and taking plays off shows up on film and stays on your résumé. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The largest point spread for a team on the road was https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/8-largest-point-spreads-in-modern-nfl-history.aspx   The Steelers covered the spread, winning 42-0.  The point spread was 27.  lol

That website has it incorrect the buccaneers were on the road for that game vs the Steelers. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_season?wprov=sfti1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Good catch.  I just looked it up on other sites.  It was a home game for the Steelers. 

I think the record for home dawg is +20.5. This betting line is borderline historical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember way back in the day, the 49'ers were favored by a ton over a crappy team.  The 49'ers ran up a huge lead and took out their starters in the 3rd.  The public was all over the Niners, but the other team came back in the final 20 minutes, coming within like 18 points.  They ended up covering the spread and the public lost a fortune.  I think they were playing the Bengals when they were historically bad.  I wouldn't blame Bill B. if he took the starters out if the roll up a huge lead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so you would sit michel and brady and edelman and white and gordon or nah? roll out dorsett in this?

 

 

 

this is mostly for the dailys imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, unclemercy said:

so you would sit michel and brady and edelman and white and gordon or nah? roll out dorsett in this?

 

 

 

this is mostly for the dailys imo

honestly, I would not sit any of them.  I think they should do well, even if they don't play into the 4th quarter.  I would expect the Patriots to start out with the run since Miami has nothing on the defensive line, but use it to set up some nice passing plays.  This is an odd game to start their players in reality.  They may all go off, or maybe just one, or maybe they all get pulled for backups at half-time.  I wouldn't sit them if I owned them though.  I just don't have anyone on the Patriots roster right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

honestly, I would not sit any of them.  I think they should do well, even if they don't play into the 4th quarter.  I would expect the Patriots to start out with the run since Miami has nothing on the defensive line, but use it to set up some nice passing plays.  This is an odd game to start their players in reality.  They may all go off, or maybe just one, or maybe they all get pulled for backups at half-time.  I wouldn't sit them if I owned them though.  I just don't have anyone on the Patriots roster right now. 

I don't remember a time when the Patriots ever pulled their starters except for maybe the final half of the 4th quarter this early in the season no matter how big of a lead they had.  They also don't let off the gas and try and protect the lead.  I'm not saying they have never done this, I just don't recall a single time they have done it that wasn't week 17. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 5:03 PM, AxeElf said:

smh... LOTTA people in here gonna lose money this weekend it seems...

Patriots call off the dogs in the 4th Q and still win 48-7.

Close...

On 9/11/2019 at 5:08 PM, unclemercy said:

will you give me miami +40??

Ok...  ;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were a Miami player with any other options, I would be begging for a trade.  In all my years of watching football, I have absolutely never seen an offensive line play like that.  I truly don't even believe they have a scheme they're running.  It's just putting out five fat guys and telling them to try and stop the other team.  They not only don't want to win, they apparently have no interest in being competitive. 

What do you think the point spread would be against a team like Kansas City?  Seriously? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 9:58 PM, AxeElf said:

Not much, when all the players are reportedly scrambling to get off the sinking ship.

yep.  that's the sign the season is over before it began.

Losers throw in the towel and run away.

winners fight to the end.

at least the Phins will who who the character guys are after a season like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I wonder what the line will be next week for the Patriots at home against the Jets...?

30 with AB, 25 without him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jrokh said:

30 with AB, 25 without him.

I'm laying big money on a shutout and the over on whatever the line is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

yep.  that's the sign the season is over before it began.

Losers throw in the towel and run away.

winners fight to the end.

at least the Phins will who who the character guys are after a season like this.

The phins brass were the first to throw in the towel. They purposely created this crap roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

The phins brass were the first to throw in the towel. They purposely created this crap roster. 

yeah.   tanking for Tua.

but heres the deal, why  get rid of the best LT?    the line is what will protect the investment they make in him (or whatever QB they take)

in my opinion, this was a bad call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's insane.  

 

The AFC has been decided.  The only question is where the AFC championship will be held, Arrowhead or Foxborough.    That leaves the Rams, Cowboys, Packers or Eagles in the NFC championship. 

 

the rest can start mailing it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canadianfan said:

That's insane.  

 

The AFC has been decided.  The only question is where the AFC championship will be held, Arrowhead or Foxborough.    That leaves the Rams, Cowboys, Packers or Eagles in the NFC championship. 

 

the rest can start mailing it in.

I’d add a few more NFC teams to that mix. AFC yes thats set In stone barring a QB injury. I’ll say 32-17 patriots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I literally am taking time out of my day to drive across des moines, with a 2 year old to go to the casino to open my first betting account.....because betting against miami and for new england is just taking money right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×