Sign in to follow this  
greatmartini

Derek Carr - Talk me out of it...

Derek Carr is sitting there as a free agent. Does he finish as a top 5 QB this week? I'm thinking:

1. Mahomes
2. Watson
3. Brady
4. Carr
5 Wentz
6. Prescott
7 Jackson
8. Big Ben
9. Goff
10. Ryan

I'd also like to hear your other options but in a vacuum...

Not crazy.  KC def last year 31st in pass yds, 22nd pass TDs, picked up right where they left off at 24th in pass yds, 22nd in pass TDs.

I guess Minshew could be the second coming of Kurt Warner and go 22/25 for 270/2 every game or the Chiefs D could just be bad again.

I'm thinking the latter.

Raiders defense better but that was v Broncs, could be a shootout in Oakland this weekend and granted 1 game, but Carr looks much more comfortable in 2nd year of Gru's offense.

I'd say the same thing as what has been posted above.  Without knowing your other options, I'll assume they are pretty lousy for you to be looking at the waiver wire.  Carr should do OK against KC.  He could even be good.  One advantage Carr will have is Steve Spagnolo, DC in KC, relies on his front four to put pressure on the QB.  He did it in NY and also in St. Louis.  Carr should have time to throw the ball without much worry of being blitzed.  If I had nothing else, I'd throw him in as the best option available.  I may even start him over some other guys ranked higher.  Why not?  I haven't checked the stats, but has any QB really done that poorly against KC lately? 

I wonder if the Chiefs will be helped with the addition of Morris Claiborne, a corner who was the 6th overall pick in the 2012 draft.  He's currently serving a 4 game suspension and should be ready to play for the Chiefs in week 5.  The Chiefs got him on a relatively inexpensive deal thanks in part to the suspension and it seems like he has a lot to prove this year.  So while I think with the Chiefs implementing a new defensive scheme, several different players than we had starting last year and the fact that teams know they have to put up a ton of points to keep up with Mahomes it all kinda weighs against them, I think you will see the defense begin to gel and play better as the season progresses.  So I guess what I'm saying is that maybe it's a better play to start people now to where it may not be such an advantage come week 12 or 13.  At least I hope that's the case.

I think Carr can have a very good game, but I’m not going to say he will be a top five Qb this weekend. 

dude looked good in week 1.   but I'm worried about consistency. 

If you have a scrub on your roster you can ditch, then by all means grab carr and sit him on your bench.

but dont drop your startiing QB for him.   if he stinks the joint out, you may not be able to get your starter back.

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think Carr can have a very good game, but I’m not going to say he will be a top five Qb this weekend. 

I'm a Fresno State homer, this is exactly how I'd put it.  Carr is a stud, he is.  He can make every throw, including the big Go routes.  It's all about play calling and his teammates.

Like Wee said, he can have a very good game but I'm not sure he'll crack top five at the moment. 

Lol Vino I didn’t know you where a Fresno homer. 

Ive lives in Reno for many many years now. 

Go wolfpack. 

Lol

i could have started him or Cousins.. fvcking horrible