Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Felicity Huffman versus jussie Smollett

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

...and who did more harm, wasted more resources?

Practically speaking.....for every kid that was scammed into these colleges, there was a kid that lost out on a chance to go to that college, or that rowing scholarship, or whatever other covers were used to get in. 

The problem is, colleges don’t list off the runner up for a scholarship or the last person not accepted into school. So while there are real victims, they can’t ever be identified, which means nobody cares too much. But they exist out there somewhere. 

18 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

donated insane amounts of money to get her kid into college

I really don't understand why this is an issue all of a sudden

When I heard about all of this I did not think it was a big deal.  I figured people bought their kids into these schools all the time by making donations to the school.  This was different but I did not see why people went apeshit.  I was shocked when I heard they were getting charged like this..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

Practically speaking.....for every kid that was scammed into these colleges, there was a kid that lost out on a chance to go to that college, or that rowing scholarship, or whatever other covers were used to get in. 

The problem is, colleges don’t list off the runner up for a scholarship or the last person not accepted into school. So while there are real victims, they can’t ever be identified, which means nobody cares too much. But they exist out there somewhere. 

It is a good point but the same can be said about people who make a donation to a school to get their kid in.  This does waste taxpayer money if the school gets Federal or State funds but it still seems like a big deal about almost nothing.

3 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

It is a good point but the same can be said about people who make a donation to a school to get their kid in.  This does waste taxpayer money if the school gets Federal or State funds but it still seems like a big deal about almost nothing.

Bill, I guess we don't get it.  Colleges let in who they let in, and none of us know why.  Did Huffman do something immoral?  The whole college admissions process is immoral.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Bill, I guess we don't get it.  Colleges let in who they let in, and none of us know why.  Did Huffman do something immoral?  The whole college admissions process is immoral.  

It offends the meritocracy.

Then again the idea of a meritocracy has gotten more and more ridiculous with each passing decade. It’s all about who you are and the wealth you’re born with. Just ask the president, his daughter and his son in law, for example.

42 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

Do you have zero self awarness? All the policies you endorse do exactly what you just bitched about. 

• Like 1

Simply put....when someone is already way ahead, and they cheat or break the law to get way further ahead.....it offends more than someone way behind that cheats or breaks the law in an effort to catch up. 

Maybe “offend” isn’t the right term....as I don’t know of anyone too worked up or angry about this. It’s a humorous story really. 

2 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

Simply put....when someone is already way ahead, and they cheat or break the law to get way further ahead.....it offends more than someone way behind that cheats or breaks the law in an effort to catch up. 

Maybe “offend” isn’t the right term....as I don’t know of anyone too worked up or angry about this. It’s a humorous story really. 

Simply put, you're clown shoes. It's humorous, really. 

6 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Do you have zero self awarness? All the policies you endorse do exactly what you just bitched about. 

If you can find posts in which I’ve endorsed specific policies that meet whatever criteria you are speaking of, I will be impressed. Very impressed. 

In other words, I probably don’t endorse many or any of the policies you’ve lazily assigned to me. 

4 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

If you can find posts in which I’ve endorsed specific policies that meet whatever criteria you are speaking of, I will be impressed. Very impressed. 

In other words, I probably don’t endorse many or any of the policies you’ve lazily assigned to me. 

You're joking right? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

donated insane amounts of money to get her kid into college

I really don't understand why this is an issue all of a sudden

Technically, I believe Felicity paid $15k for someone to correct the missed questions on an SAT for her kid. Her charge was fraud.

Aunt Becky was the one who gave $500k to an organization that would trick USC into thinking her kids were on the rowing team.

usually when a kid gets bought into school they are just added as extras, not taking a place of anyone, and its not like they are taking the place of some 4.5 gpa 1500 SAT kid, they are taking the place of a kid that is just hoping to get into college that is bottom of the barrell

8 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

usually when a kid gets bought into school they are just added as extras, not taking a place of anyone, and its not like they are taking the place of some 4.5 gpa 1500 SAT kid, they are taking the place of a kid that is just hoping to get into college that is bottom of the barrell

Plus i do not know if they have an exact number of students to take or if they have a criteria cutoff.  maybe they take 385 new students with the cheater instead of 384 without.  It does not make it right but I do not see it as a felony when someone can get the same treatment when Daddy donates 100K to the School of Business.

1 hour ago, Bill E. said:

Plus i do not know if they have an exact number of students to take or if they have a criteria cutoff.  maybe they take 385 new students with the cheater instead of 384 without.  It does not make it right but I do not see it as a felony when someone can get the same treatment when Daddy donates 100K to the School of Business.

agree, the buying off the SAT is wrong, and should be punished, but the SAT guy that accepted it should be as well

The point a lot of folks are apparently missing is how else are white kids supposed to get into college these days? They're already slanting the SAT scores to take into account 'Adversity factors' such as did you grow up in the 'hood', etc. 

Al Gore got four kids into Harvard. What are the odds on that? Yet these same institutions take massive amounts of tax payer dollars, and have tax free endowments. It's a club, and you're not invited. 

5 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

agree, the buying off the SAT is wrong, and should be punished, but the SAT guy that accepted it should be as well

Why? SAT is a private organization that supplies information that may or may not be used as a tool for acceptance. There is an industry around it meant to train kids how to take it.  Buying it off it certainly immoral but the punishment should remain within the boundaries of the process.  The law should not apply to an already rigged process.

8 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

You're joking right? :lol:

Nope. 

Its a common issue here. You see someone to your left, and you assign every belief you hate to them. But it’s not real. 

Fact is, we probably agree on some things and we aren’t as far apart on others as you’d believe. But when the primary goal is to divide and hate, its more effective to make everyone a boogeyman.

9 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

It offends the meritocracy.

Then again the idea of a meritocracy has gotten more and more ridiculous with each passing decade. It’s all about who you are and the wealth you’re born with. Just ask the president, his daughter and his son in law, for example.

Ask any President, you mean. Or is it pure coincidence that all their kids are smart enough for Ivy League Schools (once they are President, of course. It seems those kids who went to college BEFORE their dad was President aren't nearly as smart). :dunno:

Smollett should get life in prison...anyone who plays the fake race card should. His crimes are worse than actual racism.  All of those fake outrage cry racism ass holes should be locked up for a long time.

Despicable humans...all of those who have beem banging this manufactured racism drum for 3 years.  The lowest of the low. 

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Ask any President, you mean. Or is it pure coincidence that all their kids are smart enough for Ivy League Schools (once they are President, of course. It seems those kids who went to college BEFORE their dad was President aren't nearly as smart). :dunno:

Yes fair enough. Maybe Trump wasn’t the best example but point is if you’re rich and powerful or at least just rich, you’ll get whatever you want and can do whatever you want. Huffman just didn’t do it the “right” way, e.g. start making huge (legal) contributions 20 years ago.

10 hours ago, Intense Observer said:

Technically, I believe Felicity paid $15k for someone to correct the missed questions on an SAT for her kid. Her charge was fraud.

:thumbsup:  That was my understanding too, but if wiki is correct, someone else took the whole test on her behalf.

"Prosecutors alleged that Huffman's $15,000 donation to the Key Worldwide Foundation, ostensibly a charitable contribution, was in fact payment to a person who pretended to be Huffman's daughter, took the SAT for her, and received a score greatly improved from the daughter's score on the Preliminary SAT (PSAT)."

ETA: this is incorrect. Huffman's daughter took it herself, the proctor fixed missed answers to bring her up 400 points from her PSAT score.

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Al Gore got four kids into Harvard. What are the odds on that? Yet these same institutions take massive amounts of tax payer dollars, and have tax free endowments. It's a club, and you're not invited. 

Yep.  Anyone who thinks it isn't about legacies and prestige (and money) is fooling themselves.  I have a toe in those waters and I see it happen all of the time.  

Even from just working in a highschool with the IB program I know it's got to be relatively common (compared to the perception this crackdown - "operation varsity blues" - gives) that parents obsessed with getting their kids into certain colleges break the law in the process.

It makes me wonder if Rick Singer (the coordinator of all this creative assistance) pissed someone off. 

I do think this will scare simply upper middle class people away from trying sheisty stuff in this vein though. 

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Yes fair enough. Maybe Trump wasn’t the best example but point is if you’re rich and powerful or at least just rich, you’ll get whatever you want and can do whatever you want. Huffman just didn’t do it the “right” way, e.g. start making huge (legal) contributions 20 years ago.

It could be said that the single greatest advantage of power is the advantage you pass to your children. And EVERYONE does it to the extent they can. It's pure instinct.

4 hours ago, cbfalcon said:

Nope. 

Its a common issue here. You see someone to your left, and you assign every belief you hate to them. But it’s not real. 

Fact is, we probably agree on some things and we aren’t as far apart on others as you’d believe. But when the primary goal is to divide and hate, its more effective to make everyone a boogeyman.

very common issue..cant even ask a legitimate question generally

12 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Al Gore got four kids into Harvard. What are the odds on that?

100%

12 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Thread

12 hours ago, cbfalcon said:

Nope. 

I respect both of your guys opinions, but I honestly don't think there is a single thing we see similarly, and I don't think you show much wiggle in your thoughts, and you like to rape

7 hours ago, Herbivore said:

very common issue..cant even ask a legitimate question generally

Herbi on the other hand is actually someone I think I could sit down with and come to a common ground on most issues, while we disagree on alot

9 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Herbi on the other hand is actually someone I think I could sit down with and come to a common ground on most issues, while we disagree on alot

Why do you think that is?

I ask that because the above question comprises about 1/2 of Herbi's posts.  He usually doesn't contribute anything, but rather asks snarky questions to imply that he knows another answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, besides 42.  :dunno:

16 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I respect both of your guys opinions, but I honestly don't think there is a single thing we see similarly, and I don't think you show much wiggle in your thoughts, and you like to rape

I hate to read that.....and I don’t understand the rape comment. 

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Why do you think that is?

I ask that because the above question comprises about 1/2 of Herbi's posts.  He usually doesn't contribute anything, but rather asks snarky questions to imply that he knows another answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, besides 42.  :dunno:

cause I have had more agreements or civil discussions with Herbi than anyone else on the left around here