Sign in to follow this  
shorepatrol

Simple Man

3 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Never heard this before.  As a big Skynyrd/southern rock fan, I like it.

Same.  :thumbsup:

yep Shinedown does some really great covers, and does this song justice.  I am almost willing to bet you play both versions to someone who has never heard either, and Shinedown wins 9 out of 10

I really wanted to like this cover when it came out several years ago, but I just don’t. 

It’s not horrible, but the guy really over sings it and just ends up sounding angry.  

The original is one of my all time favorite songs, and I generally like to hear covers of classic songs, but this one misses the mark for me.  

On 9/15/2019 at 10:58 AM, vuduchile said:

I really wanted to like this cover when it came out several years ago, but I just don’t. 

It’s not horrible, but the guy really over sings it and just ends up sounding angry.  

The original is one of my all time favorite songs, and I generally like to hear covers of classic songs, but this one misses the mark for me.  

I can see that.  In hindsight, I had similar thoughts when I listened to it this past weekend.  :thumbsup:

On 9/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, vuduchile said:

This

I'm a simple man.

All I want is enough sleep for 2 normal men,

enough whiskey for 3

and enough women for 4.

~Joel Rosenberg

Not that it matters much, but I posted all of these over 2 years ago here. :mad:

I hate covers. If the original is good enough to warrant a cover what’s the point? 

Simple Man and Freebird are two songs that shouldn’t be covered as the originals are pretty much god status and no cover could ever do them justice. 

Also Shinedown focking sucks. 

meh

other than a bit more edge, what did they bring to the table? It was already a good song, I guess they deserve credit for sharing it to younger generations.

8 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

I hate covers. If the original is good enough to warrant a cover what’s the point? 

Simple Man and Freebird are two songs that shouldn’t be covered as the originals are pretty much god status and no cover could ever do them justice. 

This.....is a cover. 

• Like 1

this is a cover.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Nomad99 said:

😘This.....is a cover. 

you're right.......just a cover

I love Grace Potter 😘 .....but you can't take a perfect song and make it any better.

People should only cover bad songs, now that would be something.

19 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Good stuff 

I thought it was boring, nothing original about it.  Something like Disturbed Sounds of Silence, while people may not always like it, at least put a new twist on it.  IMO that is a requirement for a cover.  :dunno:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Nomad99 said:

This.....is a cover. 

The fat dude on the left and Dave Matthews do a good cover of Cortez the Killer.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I thought it was boring, nothing original about it.  Something like Disturbed Sounds of Silence, while people may not always like it, at least put a new twist on it.  IMO that is a requirement for a cover.  :dunno:

in the same vein as Devo's "Satisfaction"

Covering someone else's material is the adult equivalent of "playing house".

On 9/17/2019 at 12:20 PM, iam90sbaby said:

Don't be such a narrow minded musical tard. :thumbsdown:

Granted, music is subjective. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I get it.  :cheers:
But your sweeping statements above are very telling to me about you.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Guy said:

Covering someone else's material is the adult equivalent of "playing house".

The below has nothing to you with your post, Big Guy.  I just feel like ranting. 

Or paying homage to the band that they are covering...
Did any of you simpleton fuks even consider that? 

Yea...Didn't fukkin think so. 
Did SRV cover Little Wing cause he thought he could do it better? F no.  He covered it because he loved the song
And you know what? SRV did do it better, imo. Hence subjective. 

Also, guess what...Shinedown did do it better than Lynyrd Skynyrd.  imo.  In other werds, I liked it more. Doesn't mean that I didn't like Ronnies origional version of it. (singing wise) Cause I grew up on that sh1t, and loved all of it. 

Which did you assdicks like better, Aerosmiths version of "Train Kept a Rollin" or Tiny Bradshaws? 
Judas Priests version of  "Diamonds and Rust" or Joan Baez ? 

"Twist and Shout" by The Beatles, or by Top Notes? 

Meh fuk you all, and to all a good night :cheers:

1 minute ago, SUXBNME said:

Or paying homage to the band that they are covering...
Did any of you simpleton fuks even consider that? 

Meh fuk you all, and to all a good night :cheers:

Yes......I actually did, but when writing what I wrote I got a call and had to make it short.

But yeah, as a fan of so many bands, I've always HATED it when they covered songs, both on record and especially live. 

* on a related note, I have a feeling "Simple Man" is Shinedown's biggest song. :dunno:

29 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

Yes......I actually did, but when writing what I wrote I got a call and had to make it short.

But yeah, as a fan of so many bands, I've always HATED it when they covered songs, both on record and especially live. 

* on a related note, I have a feeling "Simple Man" is Shinedown's biggest song. :dunno:

* It's not, but it was the first one that most heard from them. Myself included. 

https://www.billboard.com/music/shinedown/chart-history/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

Remember "The Expendables" movie? 

Very powerful lyrics, imo. 

16 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Nothing can touch the original version of this song.  It’s too damned good.  But I like Govt Mule and Warren Haynes a lot.  Maybe that’s why I liked their take.  

I didn’t like Disturbed’s SOS at first, but it’s grown on me. 

42 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Nothing can touch the original version of this song.  It’s too damned good.  But I like Govt Mule and Warren Haynes a lot.  Maybe that’s why I liked their take.  

:mad:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Hmmm, I've never heard it before, mebbe you should post it! 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, porkbutt said:

RULES

1) First rule of Geek Club...........Don't click on Rule Link