Sign in to follow this  
brewens

Gonna bench Cam for Allen

I almost did it last week.  I took Allen with my 16th pick in our 14 team league.  I was surprised that with the way he finished last year that someone didn't take him sooner.  We're in the NW.  About as far away as you can be to most Buffalo homers, which are probably not all that common anywhere but Buffalo these days.  That may be changing soon I hope.  My first superbowl championship was with Jim Kelly at QB and Frank Reich filling in for him a couple games.  I hope that's good juju.  One thing is for sure, Allen will be fun to watch.

Cam started out this way last time I had him a few years back and he ended up doing pretty well, so there's hope, but I'm not counting on it.    

also got Cam and am worried. he's wildly inaccurate so far and isn't running at all. The handoff to McCaff at the goalline last week said it all. I think his matchup at ARI this week is good. He should be able to do well there. But Allen at home vs. Cinci is tasty too. 

I have Cam as my only QB in a 14-teamer; the best options on the wire are Minshew, Keenum, Mariota and Flacco. I'm not benching him for any of those guys, but if Allen were out there I would start him over Cam in a second.

I agree he may eventually get his issues worked out but if you have anything better I think you have to bench Cam for the time being.

yeah it's very tempting to start Allen over Cam. I get it. I just think ARI is a crap def. Stafford picked them apart for 3 tds and Jackson ran all over them last week. The opportunity is there for a get right game for Cam. 

but i can't blame anyone for starting allen at home vs. Cinci. 

3 hours ago, zftcg said:

I have Cam as my only QB in a 14-teamer; the best options on the wire are Minshew, Keenum, Mariota and Flacco. I'm not benching him for any of those guys, but if Allen were out there I would start him over Cam in a second.

I agree he may eventually get his issues worked out but if you have anything better I think you have to bench Cam for the time being.

Drop Cam, pick up Minshew and Flacco, and play the matchups between those two.

54 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Flacco is hot trash, Keenum is a better streamer I’d say plus he has week 4 and 6 vs Giants and Dolphins to stream against. Minshew weeks 3 and 5 vs Titans and Panthers so that’s the next 4 games covered at least.

29 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Flacco is hot trash, Keenum is a better streamer I’d say plus he has week 4 and 6 vs Giants and Dolphins to stream against. Minshew weeks 3 and 5 vs Titans and Panthers so that’s the next 4 games covered at least.

We don't even know how long Keenum will be starting; he may be on the bench by weeks 4 and/or 6.  At least you know Flacco is going to start the rest of the season.  Even Minshew may not do that (though I think he might, based on his expected production while Foles is out).

Flacco is perennially underrated, but he's typically right around a 4000 yard passer every year (since 2010, Flacco is averaging 3,917 yards, 22 TDs and 14 INTs per year, prorating his two incomplete seasons out to 16 games)--and he just put up 292 and a TD (with one INT) against the Bears, so it can only get easier for him from here.

Both Flacco and Minshew are currently among the top 20 QBs; Cam is QB28.

43 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

We don't even know how long Keenum will be starting; he may be on the bench by weeks 4 and/or 6.  At least you know Flacco is going to start the rest of the season.  Even Minshew may not do that (though I think he might, based on his expected production while Foles is out).

Flacco is perennially underrated, but he's typically right around a 4000 yard passer every year (since 2010, Flacco is averaging 3,917 yards, 22 TDs and 14 INTs per year, prorating his two incomplete seasons out to 16 games)--and he just put up 292 and a TD (with one INT) against the Bears, so it can only get easier for him from here.

Flacco is absolutely not perennially underrated in fantasy. Hasn’t thrown even 20tds in the last 4 years. Had that one decent 27td season 5 years ago (that’s not even good for fantasy anymore) and no more than 22 the three years prior. I’d look up his annual QB rank finish in FF but i can just tell you it’s low. There are too many late round and free agent QBs going for big days to spend a starting slot on Flacco most weeks. Keenum is a superior option right now. Could he be benched for Haskins? Sure but in that case just drop his punk ass and start Flacco if you absolutely must, he will still be there.

1 hour ago, tanatastic said:

Flacco is absolutely not perennially underrated in fantasy. Hasn’t thrown even 20tds in the last 4 years.

Well, that's because he only played 9 games last year and 10 games in 2015.  Prorate those out to full years and he threw for 21 and 22 those years, respectively, and added 5 more rushing TDs.  And even if you don't prorate those years you're still incorrect; he threw 20 TDs in 2016 (and added 2 rushing TDs).

He generally finishes around QB15 or so in fantasy in the years he plays all 16 games, and as we all know, QB5 through QB17 are pretty much functionally equivalent, all finishing within a couple of points per week of each other on average.

Right now he's a completely credible option to a scrub like Newton.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

He generally finishes around QB15 or so in fantasy in the years he plays all 16 games

Flaccos last 2 full seasons QB ranks. 
2017 QB24

2016 QB20

I’m sure he’s had better finishes if you keep going back but the NFL is an age sensitive sport. What someone did 6 years ago isn’t as important as what they are doing in the last few years. So no, I would challenge (and win) that he is not in that range. Cam is not really anyone I’m even talking about, I’m purely debating Flacco and his position amongst usually available streaming QBs now as well as his past status as a FF option. You said he was usually underrated, I am making an argument that he is not.

13 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Flaccos last 2 full seasons QB ranks. 
2017 QB24

2016 QB20

I’m sure he’s had better finishes if you keep going back but the NFL is an age sensitive sport. What someone did 6 years ago isn’t as important as what they are doing in the last few years. So no, I would challenge (and win) that he is not in that range. Cam is not really anyone I’m even talking about, I’m purely debating Flacco and his position amongst usually available streaming QBs now as well as his past status as a FF option. You said he was usually underrated, I am making an argument that he is not.

He would have been QB16 last year if you prorate his 9 games out to 16, and QB18 by the same token in 2015.

So fine, I'm a couple of points off, but like I said, all these QBs are functionally equivalent on a week to week basis anyway--and that's where Flacco is underrated.  He's a credible starter who isn't going to win your league for you, but he will hold his own at the position--yet he is widely considered to be "hot trash," as you put it.

I'm rolling with Allen as well, worked out great last week, and seems to have a good blend of a high floor with potential garbage time every week. Much better than whatever Jameis was limping to the table with.

Cam is tricky... if he gets over the foot problem then you may see shades of old cam... although if the panthers lose a couple more early, I wouldn't look for much extra effort from Cam

17 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It's funny that in this free yahoo league I play in, two years in a row when I needed to pick up a QB to cover my #1 QB bye week I took Flacco.  I got four TD passes the first time and three the second!  I probably should have went out looking for wallets after that!  Just randomly getting what may be both of the guys best games of his career.

Dropped Cam and picked up Allen, not sure about starting him though, have a couple of other options.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, AxeElf said:

So far, Allen has outscored the Flacco/Minshew method 3 out of 3 weeks... Flacco looks confused in this offense. IMO.

19 minutes ago, rallo said:

So far, Allen has outscored the Flacco/Minshew method 3 out of 3 weeks... 

So?  Allen wasn't a part of that conversation.  My response was to...

On 9/17/2019 at 8:33 AM, zftcg said:

Both Flacco and Minshew have outscored Cam Newton 3 out of 3 weeks...