Sign in to follow this  
Skinny_Bastard

Ty Johnson's speed

6 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Is it real?

Probably not...

Johnson did not receive an invitation to the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine. However, at Maryland's football pro day, scouts from 29 NFL teams, plus scouts from two Arena Football League teams and one Canadian Football League team were present to observe the workouts of 15 Maryland players, including Johnson. Johnson impressed scouts by running a 40-yard dash time clocked by most scouts as anywhere between 4.3 and 4.4 seconds, with one scout reportedly timing Johnson as fast as 4.26 seconds.  --Wikipedia

3 hours ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Is it real?

He ran a 4.28 on the 40 in his pro-day.   That is fast for a 210 pounder.

It's blazing for any RB, even if it's in the lower 4.3's.  Honestly, it's what their offense needs.  CJ wasn't bad, but he's a plodder.  Normally when the backups come in, it's a bit easier on the defense.  I just watched some Google videos of him in college prior to posting this.  I can't say anything about his 40 time other than he looked like the fastest player on the field in each little video clip.  Who knows how he will be used, or if he's good at anything other than being fast, but the Lions need at least one fast guy on that offense.  I don't know what KJ ran in the 40, but he doesn't seem to be overly fast, quick maybe, but not fast.  Ty looked flat out fast from the time he took the ball until he went down. 

That said, I remember when the Rams drafted Trung as a "fast" backup to Marshall Faulk.  He was going to be the future and we took him in the first round.  The problem was he fell down every time he was hit.  Sometimes he fell down because tripped over his own feet, someone yelled "boo" or the wind was blowing too hard.  I don't know if Ty has good vision to see the holes or not, but Trung ran a 4.28 40 and Martz was instantly in love.  It worked out awesome.  He was rarely on the field because he would run extremely fast from behind the QB into the backside of his offensive lineman, then he would fall down.  Speed is great, but only if the RB has some other tools to go along with it.  I hope this Ty kid is really good.  The poor fans in Detroit need something to cheer about.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

It's blazing for any RB, even if it's in the lower 4.3's.  Honestly, it's what their offense needs.  CJ wasn't bad, but he's a plodder.  Normally when the backups come in, it's a bit easier on the defense.  I just watched some Google videos of him in college prior to posting this.  I can't say anything about his 40 time other than he looked like the fastest player on the field in each little video clip.  Who knows how he will be used, or if he's good at anything other than being fast, but the Lions need at least one fast guy on that offense.  I don't know what KJ ran in the 40, but he doesn't seem to be overly fast, quick maybe, but not fast.  Ty looked flat out fast from the time he took the ball until he went down. 

That said, I remember when the Rams drafted Trung as a "fast" backup to Marshall Faulk.  He was going to be the future and we took him in the first round.  The problem was he fell down every time he was hit.  Sometimes he fell down because tripped over his own feet, someone yelled "boo" or the wind was blowing too hard.  I don't know if Ty has good vision to see the holes or not, but Trung ran a 4.28 40 and Martz was instantly in love.  It worked out awesome.  He was rarely on the field because he would run extremely fast from behind the QB into the backside of his offensive lineman, then he would fall down.  Speed is great, but only if the RB has some other tools to go along with it.  I hope this Ty kid is really good.  The poor fans in Detroit need something to cheer about.

With RB's speed isnt everything.

sometimes you need to harness the speed to wait for the hole to open.    Speed guys seem to have a problem with this.   especially early in their NFL careers.

In college you could just bounce it outside and beat whoever was there, but that does not work in the NFL.

the guy who reads his blocks and sets himself up usually is the better back coming out of college regardless of the measurables.

The speed guy usually needs to be taught to be patient with his runs and to turn on the jets when the time is right.

it can be taught, but not all can learn it.

13 hours ago, Ray_T said:

With RB's speed isnt everything.

sometimes you need to harness the speed to wait for the hole to open.    Speed guys seem to have a problem with this.   especially early in their NFL careers.

In college you could just bounce it outside and beat whoever was there, but that does not work in the NFL.

the guy who reads his blocks and sets himself up usually is the better back coming out of college regardless of the measurables.

The speed guy usually needs to be taught to be patient with his runs and to turn on the jets when the time is right.

it can be taught, but not all can learn it.

His scouting report from NFL.com says exactly what you did.  His main issue is he tries to bounce everything outside.  The worst linebackers in the NFL are better than what these RB's faced in college and their speed often isn't enough to get them to the edge.  If he tries to bounce it outside often against Chicago, MN or Green Bay, he's in trouble.  All of them have the linebackers necessary to make his life miserable. 

Was it Mendenhall who had this sort of introduction to the NFL?  I think it was, but may be wrong.  He wasn't anywhere near a burner, but tried to bounce his very first carry outside.  He ran into a linebacker named Ray Lewis and it didn't end well.  Lewis dislocated the guy's shoulder with a wicked hit.  Yeah, bouncing it outside doesn't always end the same way in the NFL as it does in college. 

I think that's why we've moved to a trend of people looking for cutback runners for ZBS.

These types of backs are less likely to bounce it outside and look for running lanes.    Coming out of college a player who shows the patience to wait for running lanes to open up is going to project well to the NFL regardless of speed/talent (I acknowledge there are limits to this)  because they succeed already based on their ability to read blocking and wait for holes to open.   At that point a fast guy hitting the hole hard is a good thing.

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

His scouting report from NFL.com says exactly what you did.  His main issue is he tries to bounce everything outside.  The worst linebackers in the NFL are better than what these RB's faced in college and their speed often isn't enough to get them to the edge.  If he tries to bounce it outside often against Chicago, MN or Green Bay, he's in trouble.  All of them have the linebackers necessary to make his life miserable. 

Was it Mendenhall who had this sort of introduction to the NFL?  I think it was, but may be wrong.  He wasn't anywhere near a burner, but tried to bounce his very first carry outside.  He ran into a linebacker named Ray Lewis and it didn't end well.  Lewis dislocated the guy's shoulder with a wicked hit.  Yeah, bouncing it outside doesn't always end the same way in the NFL as it does in college. 

Highlight run against the Chargers last week.

Hit the hole hard and fast....bounced it to the outside and what a nice finish.

In my main league .

I have Gurley and third string rookie Henderson.

You think Ty Johnson better.

I am having hard time pulling the trigger .

We have 9 add drops the rest of season 

11 minutes ago, lowman said:

In my main league .

I have Gurley and third string rookie Henderson.

You think Ty Johnson better.

I am having hard time pulling the trigger .

We have 9 add drops the rest of season 

Yeah, even if Gurley goes down, it's gonna be the Malcolm Brown show, with Henderson getting some change of pace work.

Ty Johnson has only the other Johnson ahead of him, and he'll probably fill the Theo Riddick role in their offense even if Kerryon carries on.

Would agree I would take T Johnson and let Henderson go, expecally in a ppr league. 

Not sure our league is a ppr league , but if so do it quickly 

Thank you

Pulled the trigger!

i really think this might turn into last year’s Tarik Cohen 

Playing at Maryland he was not even the starting RB last season, although a standout as a kick returner, has trouble running inside tackles, great speed but as of now more of a gimmick RB, doubt he has the talent as a every down back....

Just now, xxxdog said:

Playing at Maryland he was not even the starting RB last season, although a standout as a kick returner, has trouble running inside tackles, great speed but as of now more of a gimmick RB, doubt he has the talent as a every down back....

Agreed.  He's the new Theo Riddick--but in some leagues, that's not necessarily useless.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

Agreed.  He's the new Theo Riddick--but in some leagues, that's not necessarily useless.

Riddick had more skill as a good RB  receiver....something Johnson would need more in his development...

2 minutes ago, xxxdog said:

Riddick had more skill as a good RB  receiver....something Johnson would need more in his development...

Further development is always a good thing, but they dropped C.J. Anderson for a reason.