Sign in to follow this  
RaiderHaters Revenge

Gig Law passed in California...thoughts

no I am not going to pretend to be an expert on this or anything, but California passed a law today making it so that Uber and Lyft drivers and other "Gig" businesses are now employees of a company and should be paid more.  

since its California, generally I will oppose it, and this is another example.  Again not knowing much of the details, I think this hurts ridesharing and other gigs immensely in the long run, and makes it very likely that these people that do this for extra income, double up drivers etc, wont be able to get enough gigs to make it worth while

Uber and the likes are the perfect example of a capitalist society, where people will do work and make what they can, but are not forced to take work they think isnt fairly compensated, I think this is a good thing

thoughts?

Since they are now employees they will have less freedom. Right now those drivers clock in and out when they choose to do so. If they are now employees rather than contractors the gig company can require they work a certain schedule. 

Seattle City Council is considering the same thing.  They're also considerig taxing them. Love how they feel it's up to them to tell companies how to run their businesses while we still have homeless junkies shooting up and sh1tting/pissing on the sidewalk.  But hey, since they can tax it then it must be the right thing to do! 

8 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Since they are now employees they will have less freedom. Right now those drivers clock in and out when they choose to do so. If they are now employees rather than contractors the gig company can require they work a certain schedule. 

Right  

Scheduling is one of the key components for determining the difference between an employee and a contractor.  If a worker determines their own work schedule, they’re a contractor   

I shouldn’t be surprised that this passed, but it is CA.  

Idiotic.  If the driver's don't like the terms they can find another job.  This may help some but it will hurt other drivers.  Many Uber/Lyft drivers use it as extra income and won't do it if they have to work set schedules.

1000 megs = a gig

20 minutes ago, edjr said:

1000 megs = a gig

This is what I figured this thread was about..  I'm a focking nerd..

:(

I'm thinking 1 of 2 things happen...

1) Gig businesses voluntarily no longer operate in those areas/states.

2) The cost for their services, if they do operate, will skyrocket and cause them to get less business and before forced to not operate in those areas.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm thinking 1 of 2 things happen...

1) Gig businesses voluntarily no longer operate in those areas/states.

2) The cost for their services, if they do operate, will skyrocket and cause them to get less business and before forced to not operate in those areas.

3). They sue and get an injunction.  At the very least it delays the law but they could very well win.

It just dawned on me. This will also impact strippers as they are deemed contractors and not employees of the club. :thumbsdown:

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

3). They sue and get an injunction.  At the very least it delays the law but they could very well win.

I don't think they'll win a lawsuit in CA... or WA.  They may have to appeal that to the Supreme Court.  There, they have a shot to win.  There's at least competent people there.

LOL, I just read this article... I'm sorry, but no better word comes to mind than incompetent, to describe the CA government.  This law screws EVERYONE, and all it will do is drive costs up... and put other people out of work.  It will increase the homeless population or just exacerbate the retreat of citizens from California.  Hopefully the Republican's are the ones to leave and the Dems can stay in their own little craphole state. 

This will probably result in uber and lyft ceasing to operate in California. Taxi driver rejoice! 

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

This will probably result in uber and lyft ceasing to operate in California. Taxi driver rejoice! 

Or worse it will turn uber and lyft into taxi services.  Sh!tty vehicles and sh!ittier service at a higher cost.

1 hour ago, Reality said:

This is what I figured this thread was about..  I'm a focking nerd..

:(

Depending on convention it is also 1024 MB = 1 GB.  I'll see your nerd status and raise you one. 

7 hours ago, bostonlager said:

YEP

The people that make out big in this deal are far left union leaders who hope to rake in lots of money if they can get uber / lyft drivers to organize into a union.

For uber and lyft, if they are forced to give all drivers pay, vacation time, health care, and all the bennies, both companies will have no choice but to drastically cut the number of drivers on the road.  They cannot afford to pay that kind of money to all of them.  They will still have to raise the cost of rides.

For riders, it means longer wait times and higher fares.  This makes taxi drivers more competitive.

For the city of Los Angeles, its a money windfall because more tax revenue, and it will push riders to use Blue LA, a government run version of Uber where you pick up an idle car stationed on the side of the road and drive yourself.

For Uber / Lyft drivers, it means one day they may try to log in and the app will tell them sorry they are no longer an uber driver.  They got cut because its too expensive to have so many drivers.  Those that remain will be forced to work a shift and set number of hours. 

This also affects ALL 1099 employees, from rideshare drivers, to fruit cart workers, to taco trucks, to hair and nail salon workers, truck drivers and more. 

For the economy, it means a lot more people will be out of work.  Unemployment goes up. 

It may force people to leave the state.  Right to Work laws spawned in the Old South and it drew away tons of industries from northern states that didn't have right to work laws.  Places like Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh got slaughtered with sky high unemployment and crumbling cities because businesses fled to right to work cities like Charlotte.  Charlotte became a boom town.  We may see a repeat of work flight as 1099ers flee states that pass this sort of legislation and go to red states that reward people for working hard.  A big winner here would be Phoenix, Arizona.  Arizona has proven to be friendly to 1099ers and uber and lyft especially.  We might see 1099 flight from California to Arizona.  Current Arizona governor Doug Ducey helped rideshare companies by suspending an investigation into companies operating illegally and changed the rules to make them favor rideshare over taxis.

5 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Do people do Uber/Lyft as their primary income source?

I believe in big cities there are people who can make a living doing it

11 hours ago, riversco said:

For the economy, it means a lot more people will be out of work.  Unemployment goes up. 

This is what the Left wants though.  They need unemployment to go up.  The thing is, they'll blame Trumps economy claiming that his policies were only a temporary fix.  If a bunch of blue states do this, they'll really impact the national number and give their nominee something to use against Trump's economy.

16 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Do people do Uber/Lyft as their primary income source?

I uber a lot, mostly to/from the airport.  I'd say ~80% do it part time/supplemental (including retired folks making a few bucks, quite a few of those here), the rest are doing it full time (primary/only income source).  To be successful you need to work certain routes; for instance here one is to/from Scottsdale and the airport.  Quite a few folks also develop regulars, for instance people who uber to/from work daily.  This of course is outside of the Uber app so the driver makes more, and it is probably cash.  I don't know that you could sustain much of a living just flitting around.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

I uber a lot, mostly to/from the airport.  I'd say ~80% do it part time/supplemental (including retired folks making a few bucks, quite a few of those here), the rest are doing it full time (primary/only income source).  To be successful you need to work certain routes; for instance here one is to/from Scottsdale and the airport.  Quite a few folks also develop regulars, for instance people who uber to/from work daily.  This of course is outside of the Uber app so the driver makes more, and it is probably cash.  I don't know that you could sustain much of a living just flitting around.

I think one possibility is that a lot of uber drivers go underground.  I mean the system is already established.  If Uber and Lyft get limited, then some aggressive entrepreneur might start some underground app or system to connect people to drivers either in another app or without using phones at all somehow.  It might work for many months until law enforcement catch on and start running sting operations to catch them.

Maybe a streetcorner gets tagged with a symbol to let people know to wait for rides or to pick up riders.  Or underground ridesharers will have a sticker on their car or some small sign they wave out the car window.  Who knows.

25 minutes ago, riversco said:

I think one possibility is that a lot of uber drivers go underground.  I mean the system is already established.  If Uber and Lyft get limited, then some aggressive entrepreneur might start some underground app or system to connect people to drivers either in another app or without using phones at all somehow.  It might work for many months until law enforcement catch on and start running sting operations to catch them.

Maybe a streetcorner gets tagged with a symbol to let people know to wait for rides or to pick up riders.  Or underground ridesharers will have a sticker on their car or some small sign they wave out the car window.  Who knows.

Just use the app to find a driver. When he picks up, cancel the ride. Pay him in cash. 

The Uber drivers that are supposedly screened are Rapey enough. I can only imagine what the gypsies will be like. 

10 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Just use the app to find a driver. When he picks up, cancel the ride. Pay him in cash. 

already do that most of the time, tell the guy I am an cancelling and he can have the whole amount

works for everyone

3 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

That only works for people who are still allowed to be uber drivers.  If this legislation is signed and not stopped by the referendum, there will probably be a lot less uber drivers on the road, and it will cost a lot more.  If you cancel the ride and pay out of pocket post-legislation, it might wind up costing more than a taxi lol.

But some disgruntled ex-uber driver might create a "meetup" app where people just meet and then when they do, they arrange payment for a ride off the books.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:45 AM, vuduchile said:

I shouldn’t be surprised that this passed, but it is CA.  

Californians themselves are actually getting a little surprised these days.

The interesting thing about this is that nearly all Lyft drivers I've chatted with (been quite a few lately) are not in support of this. A colleague of mine with a huge social network was not seeing any in favor. One driver I had believed that the drivers who came to the state capitol and blocked streets (out of support) on the day it was up for a senate vote came from L.A.  Because of all the time spent in slow traffic, more of them down there like the potential changes this will bring. But even if it's mostly L.A. drivers on board, the whole movement does not feel or look grassroots at all.

Anyway, back to Gov. Newsom, he's been signing lots of different bills lately that fmr. Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed distinctly on the basis of it not being the place of the state to step into the dynamic in question. They're both left of center but Newsom is far more statist.