Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Most horrible trade, maybe ever?

In my largest Dynasty League, an owner traded for D. Henry.  His team is on the cusp of competing, but not really on the cusp of winning the title.  For that to occur, Henry would have to put up Barkley type numbers and he needs another couple of WR's.  So, this trade "may" get him into the playoffs, IF Henry plays like a RB1 all season. 

He gave up two first round picks in the rookie draft.  One in 2020 and one in 2021.  We have a Devy Draft in this league where we draft college players for the future as well.  He also gave up his 2020 and 2021 first round Devy Draft picks (WAYYYYY more valuable than rookie First Round picks).  He couldn't help himself, so he also traded away Alabama Running Back Trey Sanders, the #1 overall RB recruit in the nation last season at RB.  He's out currently with a foot injury, but he's one of the highest rated running backs to enter the NCAA in history.  His credentials are flat out awesome.  So, 4 total first round picks and a kid who "could" turn out to be a top NFL RB in two more years.  All for D. Henry and a "chance" to make the playoffs. 

The league ripped him apart for the deal, but he's positive Henry puts him on equal footing with the top 4 teams in the league.  Is weed legal in Nevada?  That's where he lives, so I'm assuming something is legal there that isn't in my state...…  I've seen some wild trades, but never one for four 1st round picks and a potential superstar for a player with only a handful of good games on his resume. 

What are your thoughts and would you have made such a seemingly crazy move?

His starting roster is:  QB Wentz/Allen  RB: Henry, Tevin Coleman  WR: Davante Adams, Calvin Ridley, Robert Woods, Desean Jackson  TE: Ertz 

This is a full point PPR League where we can start 1RB, 3WR's and 1TE with one Flex that can be used at any of those three positions.  This is a really old league with some incredibly stacked rosters.  He is currently 1-1.  Henry had better work out as he has no other RB besides Coleman on his roster. 

he is clearly just heavy on the Henry train ha that is a lot to give for him, i sometimes think people in big dynasty leagues get to a point that improvements can happen so slow over time that they commit to moves like this to try speed it up but usually ends up horribly for them  in the following seasons 

2 hours ago, Mark91G said:

he is clearly just heavy on the Henry train ha that is a lot to give for him, i sometimes think people in big dynasty leagues get to a point that improvements can happen so slow over time that they commit to moves like this to try speed it up but usually ends up horribly for them  in the following seasons 

Spoken like a Dynasty Pro.  That is exactly what happens.  People get bored because trades in Dynasty aren't nearly as frequent and you are stuck with what you've done in terms of scouting the college guys.  This league, in the first few years, had a couple trades each week.  We've been together for around 15 years now.  We're lucky to see three trades in a season now, unless it's the night before the trading deadline.  Then it's just crazy.  It's a winner take all league though.  We each pay $250 prior to the season.  No second or third place.  Of the 12 teams, everyone has won a title except for three of the owners.  They consistently get close, but just not quite over the hump. 

I don't know, I really pulled a boner one year... 2013.  I was convinced Justin Blackmon was going to be a stud.  I figured Demaryius, with Welker, Decker, and Thomas won't be nearly as productive as he was in 2012.  I also thought, DeMarco Murray?  Meh, he's not all that.  Can't stay on the field, regressed a bit.  Over-rated.  Well, I trade DeMaryius Thomas and DeMarco Murray for Justin Blackmon and C.J. Spiller.  That did not work out very well.

Thomas: 92 / 1430 / 14 & Murray: 1121 / 9  //  53 / 350 / 1 = 579.1 fantasy points

Blackmon: 29 / 415 / 1 & Spiller: 933 / 2  //  33 /185 / 0 = 204.3 fantasy points

• Like 1

That's a bad trade.  lol  At least it was a one year thing though and you didn't mortgage your future on it.  If it makes you feel better, I all in on CJ that season as well.  I believe that was the last time I've let myself develop a mancrush on a player.  I thought he would be a 1,500 / 10 / 40 / 350 guy that season and was positive he would finish as a top 3 fantasy RB. 

I know all about trey sanders....ive been watching him on youtube for awhile....ive seen some amazing stuff....but football has been rife with high schoolers who looked like "men amongst boys" and never stood out or succeeded in the nfl....conversely you can go back and look at top 300 ranking from many years and see guys down below 50 or even 100 that became stars in the league...

class of 2014 espn top 300

12 overall and #2 back bo scarborough....#218 C-Mac

this is a good one ...class of 2015

#28 overall soso jamabo....#34 ronald jones

#291 overall.....SAQUON FRIGGIN BARKLEY....lol

I had zero issues with him giving up Trey.  4 first rounders AND Trey?  Ridiculous.  lol

The list of top recruits at the WR position is the same way.  Many of them never do a thing in college or the NFL. 

Just now, oldtimer said:

I had zero issues with him giving up Trey.  4 first rounders AND Trey?  Ridiculous.  lol

The list of top recruits at the WR position is the same way.  Many of them never do a thing in college or the NFL. 

exactly....i used to love going through the top 300s for every year and just looking at all the misfires and busts and guys who are stars that werent given a ton of respect....its wild

7 minutes ago, bobby heenan said:

exactly....i used to love going through the top 300s for every year and just looking at all the misfires and busts and guys who are stars that werent given a ton of respect....its wild

I do this every year with Scouting Magazines.  I buy them only to put on a shelf in my basement and look at a few years later.  I have them dating back to the early 80's.  Man, they whiff on WAY more than they hit on.  I have some favorite ones I'll re-read every couple of years.  Aaron Donald is too short to be an NFL defensive lineman.  Tayvon Austin had a much higher grade and would make a better pro than DeAndre Hopkins.  Occasionally they will be dead on, but it's at least 50% of the time, even for first round prospects, they are just plain wrong. 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know, I really pulled a boner one year... 2013.  I was convinced Justin Blackmon was going to be a stud.  I figured Demaryius, with Welker, Decker, and Thomas won't be nearly as productive as he was in 2012.  I also thought, DeMarco Murray?  Meh, he's not all that.  Can't stay on the field, regressed a bit.  Over-rated.  Well, I trade DeMaryius Thomas and DeMarco Murray for Justin Blackmon and C.J. Spiller.  That did not work out very well.

Thomas: 92 / 1430 / 14 & Murray: 1121 / 9  //  53 / 350 / 1 = 579.1 fantasy points

Blackmon: 29 / 415 / 1 & Spiller: 933 / 2  //  33 /185 / 0 = 204.3 fantasy points

You should save face by retroactively claiming you were as drunk as Blackmon when you made that trade

Just now, zftcg said:

You should save face by retroactively claiming you were as drunk as Blackmon when you made that trade

We all have moments of stupidity.  It's best to just fess up when you do, and move on.  😞