Sign in to follow this  
NAn

Packers: Williams to get more work?, Offense overall

Lafleur: '...that is a pretty physical position, and we’d like to keep a good balance between him and Jamaal...'

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-even-backfield-110209079.html

Coach speak or really want they want to do?  Should be noted that Lafleur and OC Hackett have traditionally been near top of league in rush attempts, so even it is true doesn't necessarily mean would dramatically decrease Jones touches...could just be they want to run more overall and get the extra rushes to Williams.

Which leads me to other skill players on offense...

We've grown accostumed to Rodgers throwing all over the yard, and granted only two games, but...

2019 22nd pass atts, 26th pass yds

2018 3rd, 9th

2016 5th, 7th (excluded 2017 as Rodgers only played 7 games,  Packers ran more that year b/c of it, so outlier)

So is Rodgers value even further diminished by the offense just being more balanced.

And then what about the WRs?  Devante is the main guy so he looks like he's going to continue to get his even with less passing but what about MVS/Allison/etc?  What has made the 2nd WR in Pack offense decent FF options was Rodgers talent and volume of passing in offense.  Is that not the case anymore?

Initially was just going to post the article and reference Jones, but then started thinking about the rest, putting out there for general dialogue 

Thoughts?

I wouldnt look into this too much. 

in coach speak it could mean he gets one more carry per game.

I'd be inclined to just put him on my watch list and see how the  'increased workload' actually turns out.

I would not go out and  pick him up based on this.

I think it’s going to be true. 

Williams will get more work. 

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think it’s going to be true. 

Williams will get more work. 

This is what I'm thinking too, but again, think it could just be consistently more running plays so wouldn't necessarily reduce Jones touches singnficantly.  Think that plan (and Lafleur/Hackett's history) means slightly less value for Rodgers and WRs 

43 minutes ago, NAn said:

This is what I'm thinking too, but again, think it could just be consistently more running plays so wouldn't necessarily reduce Jones touches singnficantly.  Think that plan (and Lafleur/Hackett's history) means slightly less value for Rodgers and WRs 

Agreed. 

as far as the offense overall, this week will be very telling as the broncos are a big step down defensively from the bears/vikings.

Every year I see these blurbs on Rotoworld reporting "(insert coach) said (insert player) is going to be used more/deserves more looks/will be a greater part of the offense/etc." and from what I remember they are no better than a 50/50 indication as to whether that player is actually used as the coach stated.  So I usually take these reports with a grain of salt.  I pay more attention to statements regarding who is the starter and who is not the starter as well as looking at the past usage in games. 

1 minute ago, Beyond Chaos said:

Every year I see these blurbs on Rotoworld reporting "(insert coach) said (insert player) is going to be used more/deserves more looks/will be a greater part of the offense/etc." and from what I remember they are no better than a 50/50 indication as to whether that player is actually used as the coach stated.  So I usually take these reports with a grain of salt.  I pay more attention to statements regarding who is the starter and who is not the starter as well as looking at the past usage in games. 

No sh#t.  Remember just last week when they said Ronald Jones was going to get "significantly more carries" and basically took the #1 RB from Barber?

Yeah, good times.