Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Jaguars defense tonight

I could be way off base here, but with Ramsey likely to be traded and the disarray the team is in, do you think they could pull together one last time and put on a show?  I know TN has had their number the past few years, but I'm not talking about them winning the game.  Could the Jags defense surprise us all tonight with several sacks and/or interceptions?  Heck, they are on the waiver wire now in even my large leagues.  I think I'm going to pick them up and roll with them if Ramsey plays.  Maybe a big sendoff for him? 

I think they're pretty safe.  If they can get any bit of a lead and make Mariotta throw, they'll be fine.  THe over/under is 38.5 - the lowest of the week.  Couple that with the Thursday night game and I think Jax D will be solid if not excellent this week.

It's sad that "team playing miami"  Is always in the top tier by themselves each week.

37 minutes ago, shutdown said:

It's sad that "team playing miami"  Is always in the top tier by themselves each week.

Dallas will be joined in that tier by the Patriots playing the unDarnolded Jets this week.

Here's something interesting that I just noticed.  I'm in this 18 team league with 12 bench slots--so pretty much everyone who can is holding two defenses.  I focused more on my skill players than Ds, and I ended up with Cincinnati and the Giants, who, so far, have not been very strong contributors to my fantasy team.  However, the rest of my team is pretty solid, and if I can just get to the playoffs, the two teams that play Miami in Weeks 15 and 16 are the Giants and Cincinnati!

BOOM.

Good matchup for both the jags and titans def tonight. 

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

I ended up with Cincinnati and the Giants, who, so far, have not been very strong contributors to my fantasy team. 

BOOM.

Indeed....and I hereby nominate this comment for the FFToday understatement of the year award.

NYG and Cinci D's are currently ranked #32 and #28 respectively, at least in my leagues.

2 hours ago, shutdown said:

Ya.. tanking in the NBA is one thing, but you got guys out there risking their health.. 

I’ve never seen this sort of open tank from get go in the NFL.  Unreal.  Players and fans should be pissed.  Sell the team. 

17 minutes ago, stonewall said:

NYG and Cinci D's are currently ranked #32 and #28 respectively, at least in my leagues.

Believe me, they have totally earned those distinctions.

Am I the only one who thinks Miami is ruining fantasy football this year? There are always  teams you target to start your players against, but it's ridiculous how much of an advantage it is this year.

I agree.  The management of this team has been trash. Fans and players should openly rebel. 

5 hours ago, Brutal Brutus said:

I think both defenses are in the upper tier of teams not playing Mia. 

I hope so, have them both going 

4 hours ago, Brutal Brutus said:

Am I the only one who thinks Miami is ruining fantasy football this year? There are always  teams you target to start your players against, but it's ridiculous how much of an advantage it is this year.

Not as much as they're ruining survivor pools

13 hours ago, BuschWack said:

Ya.. tanking in the NBA is one thing, but you got guys out there risking their health.. 

I’ve never seen this sort of open tank from get go in the NFL.  Unreal.  Players and fans should be pissed.  Sell the team. 

Agreed.  Miami isn't even a joke.  They pretty much made it clear they were going to tank, but did anyone think it would be at this level?  They have nothing.  Literally one solid player on that entire team and you know he wakes up each morning after gameday and wishes he were elsewhere.  The absolute worst part of this is someone could truly get injured.  How bad would it be if you were Josh Allen and you had your career ruined (it's happening) by a team tanking to get someone they perceive to be better than you.  If I were a top QB, I would seriously consider staying in school another year, or at least letting Miami know that I'm NOT playing there.  Sit out a year and re-enter the draft.  Can the NFL force a sale?  Can the fans sue?  I'd want my money back.

yeah, this is terrible.

and the franchise has been so badly mismanaged... if I was Tua, I'd strongly consider playing my senior year to avoid that mess.

22 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if I was Tua, I'd strongly consider playing my senior year to avoid that mess.

#LoveHurts

27 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yeah, this is terrible.

and the franchise has been so badly mismanaged... if I was Tua, I'd strongly consider playing my senior year to avoid that mess.

I would hope the Dolphins aren't taking a QB with their first pick.  Putting a rookie behind that line would ruin his career.  They really need 5 new starters.  They will suck in 2020 as well, so there's a better chance than not they get the #1 overall pick then too.  Their line is worse than the ones Carr and Couch had their careers ruined by.  Seriously, if I were Tua or Hebert, I'd absolutely not play for Miami.  Not a chance.  It may end your career early by doing so.

1 minute ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Now the question is how soon to pick up the defenses faces Miami in the last few weeks. 

There was an article about this very thing online.  It said in most ESPN Leagues, the team playing the Dolphins is taken at least the next three weeks out already.  Wow.  lol 

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

There was an article about this very thing online.  It said in most ESPN Leagues, the team playing the Dolphins is taken at least the next three weeks out already.  Wow.  lol 

That's rough. Would need to drop viable bench players to do that, but it is likely worth it. 

I am thinking for fantasy playoffs. I know in my $500+ leagues I won't be the only one thinking about week 13-16 already 

Just now, Phil Simms 11 said:

That's rough. Would need to drop viable bench players to do that, but it is likely worth it. 

I am thinking for fantasy playoffs. I know in my $500+ leagues I won't be the only one thinking about week 13-16 already 

A couple people have posted here in various threads they've already picked them up for the playoffs.  I imagine a lot of folks have.  I'm going to look at my leagues as well.  It's such a shame a team is so bad we're looking this far into the future....  lol

18 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Now the question is how soon to pick up the defenses faces Miami in the last few weeks. 

They have the Giants and the Bengals in Weeks 15 and 16--two of the worst fantasy defenses out there through the first two weeks.  lol

Just now, AxeElf said:

They have the Giants and the Bengals in Weeks 15 and 16--two of the worst fantasy defenses out there through the first two weeks.  lol

Yeah, I am not considering NYG. CIN I may take

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I would hope the Dolphins aren't taking a QB with their first pick.  Putting a rookie behind that line would ruin his career.  They really need 5 new starters.  They will suck in 2020 as well, so there's a better chance than not they get the #1 overall pick then too.  Their line is worse than the ones Carr and Couch had their careers ruined by.  Seriously, if I were Tua or Hebert, I'd absolutely not play for Miami.  Not a chance.  It may end your career early by doing so.

you can bet money that they will.

They have 2 years worth of draft picks.   3 picks in the upcoming first round (I think)

I guess with two other first round picks, they can select O line players, but I think there is a limit to how many rookies you can plug & play in any given year.

Maybe the plan is to sign a FA and draft one or two highly regarded O line free agent veterans.  

That would be how I'd do it.  

draft Tua with the #1 overall pick.

the other two draft picks in the first round would go for   1)  LT   2) WR

Then I'd likely grab a Center or a guard in round 2 hopefully you can plug & play but if not, they can start next year.

Then I'd try to sign another free agent player to play guard or RT.

year 2 I'd draft defensive players.

The reason I'd do it in this order:    Defensive players often come in and make an immediate impact.   Offensive players sometimes take a year or two until they can make an impact.

so it makes more sense to fill the offensive side in year 1 and the defensive players in year 2.

5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I don't know why everyone just assumes that Tua will be the #1 pick (or at least the #1 QB).

After three weeks, Jalen Hurts has more total yards from scrimmage and the same number of TDs as Tua, as well as a higher QBR, and he could easily be the third straight Heisman trophy-winning QB from Oklahoma.

3 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

you can bet money that they will.

They have 2 years worth of draft picks.   3 picks in the upcoming first round (I think)

I guess with two other first round picks, they can select O line players, but I think there is a limit to how many rookies you can plug & play in any given year.

Maybe the plan is to sign a FA and draft one or two highly regarded O line free agent veterans.  

That would be how I'd do it.  

the other two draft picks in the first round would go for   1)  LT   2) WR

Then I'd likely grab a Center or a guard in round 2 hopefully you can plug & play but if not, they can start next year.

Then I'd try to sign another free agent player to play guard or RT.

year 2 I'd draft defensive players.

The reason I'd do it in this order:    Defensive players often come in and make an immediate impact.   Offensive players sometimes take a year or two until they can make an impact.

so it makes more sense to fill the offensive side in year 1 and the defensive players in year 2.

If the draft fell to you in that perfect order, I'd be fine with your suggestions, although I'm more of a 'best player available' type of guy.  They should have two early round picks, then whatever the Texans end up with.  It's possible, although highly unlikely, they end up with two of the top 5 picks.  I think either the Steelers or the Texans are going to fall this season.  If both do, Miami could be looking really good! 

I'm not a big believer in signing free agent offensive linemen.  Look at the ones that have been given huge contracts;  Saffold sucks in TN, That guy that went from the Panthers to the Jags has been a total bust, The Guard/Tackle the Raiders signed a few years ago that's now with the Jets absolutely sucked his final two years in Oakland, Nate Solder of the Giants is a marginal LT at the very best and he's making more than all but two other LT's in the game, the guy that went from TN to ATL at Guard played only two or three mediocre seasons in ATL, then was released....  There is just too much history showing offensive linemen aren't who you should be looking for in free agency.  There are quite a few very good Guards that come in the 3rd round and beyond. 

Are you 100% sold on Tua?  I love the kid, but have this lingering doubt about his arm strength.  He didn't perform well when facing another elite team, not at throwing the deep ball anyway.  His WR's made him look better than his numbers would lead you to believe.  I think he can be a great NFL QB, but I'm not nearly convinced he's in the rookie mold of Manning, Luck etc.  I may be tempted to see what I could get for that #1 pick.  With up to 4 QB's projected to go in the first round, I'd bet the price of the #1 would be astronomical and they'd likely get it. 

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I don't know why everyone just assumes that Tua will be the #1 pick (or at least the #1 QB).

After three weeks, Jalen Hurts has more total yards from scrimmage and the same number of TDs as Tua, as well as a higher QBR, and he could easily be the third straight Heisman trophy-winning QB from Oklahoma.

Odd that we were posting this at nearly the same time.  I'm not 100% sold on Tua being #1 either.  I've read too many reports where people question how he will do without his vaunted offensive line in front of him and knowing he can afford to make a mistake with most of their schedule being cream puffs.  Those luxuries aren't there in the NFL. 

honestly I cannot say for sure it will be him.  

Everyone thinks hes the guy, but a lot can happen in a year.

one thing I'm reasonably certain about:

I am reasonably sure they pick a QB in the first round of the upcoming draft.

and yes, old timer, you are correct.  its easy to project like I did, but if a franchise defender falls to you and you have the opportunity to take him with your second first round pick, you dont pass on him.   Even if the plan is to fill out the offense first.

everything is fluid in a draft, and while you plan to take players in a certain order, sometimes best player available is the way to go.

My first ever fantasy football keeper league draft  I surprised everyone.   I already had Marshall Faulk and Priest Holmes.  Then everyone thought I"d take a WR, but there was a kid named Tomlinson who was still on the board.   I took him and it led me to a lot of years where I dominated that league.

Best player available is always a given, but if it is close, you likely go with your plan.