Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Anyone ever drive across the US in vacation sorta way?

Im planning a trip for next summer probably. Our goal is to see some must see things that may be the basis for future trips. All my kids are old enough now to appreciate cool stuff we would do.  Gonna meet up with some family in DC and leave from there.  Right now, its looking like DC to Atlanta to Nawlins to San Antonio to ELPaso to Flagstaff to Vegas to LA to San Fran to Yosemite and then Im kinda stuck.  I know theres a ton of stuff to do in the Midwest, but I we havent settled it yet.  Id like to do Denver, Route 66 into St Louis, Mt Rushmore,  Chicago, Nashville maybe.  I dunno.  What are must see places? Im thinking 2 weeks might not be enough.  Maybe 3 to not be rushed?

We sort of made it vacation like when we moved back to CA from S. Carolina. The Smokey Mountains and Grand Canyon were highlights. We did I-10 on the way out and I-40 back.

Definitely co-sign Yosemite but I think if you come all the way out to the west coast it's kind of sad to not do the coastal highway. I've actually never done the Oregon coast and find Nor Cal's coast beautiful but everyone I know who's done Hwy 1 in Oregon has been in awe.

If 2.5/ 3 weeks is doable no problem, that would probably be perfect.

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

Im planning a trip for next summer probably. Our goal is to see some must see things that may be the basis for future trips. All my kids are old enough now to appreciate cool stuff we would do.  Gonna meet up with some family in DC and leave from there.  Right now, its looking like DC to Atlanta to Nawlins to San Antonio to ELPaso to Flagstaff to Vegas to LA to San Fran to Yosemite and then Im kinda stuck.  I know theres a ton of stuff to do in the Midwest, but I we havent settled it yet.  Id like to do Denver, Route 66 into St Louis, Mt Rushmore,  Chicago, Nashville maybe.  I dunno.  What are must see places? Im thinking 2 weeks might not be enough.  Maybe 3 to not be rushed?

You will enjoy WAY more than your kids. I was dragged cross country as a kid. Don't fool yourself, this trip is for you , not your kids. 

Yep, when I was a kid. Now, no way. I'm only on this planet for a short time and I'll fly there now.

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Why El Paso?

No real reason I guess. I figured the had to be something worth seeing. RIo Grande River? Should I just head north from San Antonio and bypass El Paso? 

As far as the Midwest goes here's a few ideas that I've personally done and enjoyed

1.St Louis Arch

2.The Royal Gorge

3.Hannibal,MO-birthplace of Mark Twain with numerous things to do and explore found in the Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer adventures

Lastly and being a real homer here but our little city St Joseph,Mo is where the Pony Express started and Jesse James ended and we have museums etc. dedicated to that history if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Yeah I would not rush it. Break it up into a few vacations, maybe first leg this time then next time fly somewhere rent a car/RV and go from there.

Some places you didn’t mention: Oregon coast is beautiful, Columbia river gorge, north Idaho/Coeur d’alene, Montana and glacier national park, badlands and black hills in South Dakota (might as well add in Rushmore at that point too). Yellowstone and Grand Tetons in that general region as well. In the Midwest the Great Lakes. Duluth, Chicago, Madison.

There’s more. Were it me I’d want to hit up Seattle, Olympic peninsula and/or orcas island area. Then to Vancouver BC and Vancouver island. Pop over to banff/Canadian Rockies from there, which is a truly breathtaking area. Then come down into US near Idaho panhandle and on to Montana etc. But obviously that adds a sh1t ton of time.

I'd love to do something like this but I just don't have the time to take off from work.

And to answer the question, I drove from the Midwest to Alaska (or reverse) numerous times in collidge. I mentioned South Dakota and Duluth to be nice but there really ain’t sh1t to see from Montana to chicago. Frankly I’d skip the Midwest altogether were it me 

8 hours ago, riversco said:

Plenty of youtube videoes giving you the drive experience.

This idiot needs to move to the right when not passing.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Bryce Canyon is close by your route

I'd love to spend 2-3 weeks just doing the pacific coast (San Diego to Vancouver). 

As you are heading East, I would recommend the San Juan mountains on your way to to Denver. Of course I'd plug Vail and Breckenridge as well.

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

I'd love to spend 2-3 weeks just doing the pacific coast (San Diego to Vancouver). 

As you are heading East, I would recommend the San Juan mountains on your way to to Denver. Of course I'd plug Vail and Breckenridge as well.

Northern rocky national park is beautiful as well. Estes Park and on in from there

Most I’ve done is San Antonio to SC. I want to take a trio across the US like that one day but have to have a good bit of time off for it and with that much time I’d rather go somewhere else to spend all that time off. But one day I’ll do it 

21 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Northern rocky national park is beautiful as well. Estes Park and on in from there

I know... only so much he can do on this trip, and I was trying to keep him somewhat on route with Denver.

Have sex with a true southern woman. Then split town before her husband finds out.

6 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I know... only so much he can do on this trip, and I was trying to keep him somewhat on route with Denver.

:thumbsup:

Don't get the south Texas thing. El Paso is a pit. But heading to Albuquerque and Sante Fe is really great, IMO. As is western Colorado.

I drove from Orlando, FL to Vail, CO when I was in my early 20s. Went the i75 to i70 way because I didn’t want to be on i10 for 2000+ miles. 

Another cool drive I did was Anchorage to Fairbanks, caught Denali on a day with no clouds so you could see the peak. 

13 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I drove from Orlando, FL to Vail, CO when I was in my early 20s. Went the i75 to i70 way because I didn’t want to be on i10 for 2000+ miles. 

Another cool drive I did was Anchorage to Fairbanks, caught Denali on a day with no clouds so you could see the peak. 

South on to Kenai peninsula is incredible as well. Tunnel to Whittier or on down to Homer

14 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Oh sweet man. I’ve been wanting to go to Alaska. Everyone I talk to that’s been there says it’s beautiful. Wife has an aunt, uncle, and cousins in Alaska (not sure where) that they’ve visited. Dad wants to do an Alaskan cruise sometime soon. Think my mom is going to take him next year 

Weird, I don't think I've ever done a drive longer than 7 hours, and I did one of those last week to LA.  Yet my daughter and wife just drove from Minneapolis,  and my son from Dallas.  

Anyway, for NM and AZ I agree with others to take 40 in the north, plenty to see.  Santa Fe is neat.  Albuquerque is nothing.  

The problem with cross country drives is there isn't much to see between the Mississippi and the rockies. You either have the Texas route, or the boring ass great plains route. Texas is better, but not by much. 

4 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Don't get the south Texas thing. El Paso is a pit. But heading to Albuquerque and Sante Fe is really great, IMO. As is western Colorado.

S Texas not a necessity but I figured if we were as far south as Nawlins then the Alamo would be cool.  Not sure theres really anything else down that way.

8 hours ago, Fireballer said:

S Texas not a necessity but I figured if we were as far south as Nawlins then the Alamo would be cool.  Not sure theres really anything else down that way.

True there's not much down there. Never been to S.A. it does look like a cool place. TBBOM is right there is a whole lot of nothing between the Mississippi and the Rockies. Small towns but not much landscape. I don't think there is a right answer. Done the drive from NO to St Louis through Dallas then on to Denver.  Kansas and western Colorado are really monotonous. 

10 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

True there's not much down there. Never been to S.A. it does look like a cool place. TBBOM is right there is a whole lot of nothing between the Mississippi and the Rockies. Small towns but not much landscape. I don't think there is a right answer. Done the drive from NO to St Louis through Dallas then on to Denver.  Kansas and western Colorado are really monotonous. 

Yeah, my parents did two long hauls with my brother sister and I. Memphis to Colorado via Missouri and Kansas, once new Mexico via Arkansas and Texas. Both just boring as fock bleak drives.

We took a 10 day road trip during Spring Break a few years ago

Chicago-Denver-Phoenix-Sante Fe-Dallas-Tulsa-St Louis-Chicago and all points in between   

The kids loved exploring new places, trying new foods, and seeing friends and family.  

I want to do a Yellowstone, Yosemite and CA trip before they want to stop hanging out with mom and dad.  

Your trip sounds awesome.  I’d love to take 3-4 weeks and do that.  

Have fun!